• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

The return of the Potato sack

header_586x192.jpg

Fear 3 Midweek Madness

spotlight_image_english.png

Spec Ops: The Line Demo
header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50300/

jediyoshi

Valve needs to implement a system where Steam is smart enough to keep downloads going on single player games. I get annoying having to ALT + Tab out to resume a download when I am trying to play Binding of Isaac or something (it is even more worse when I'm indecisive and spent 20 minutes playing half a dozen games)

There is that system, it's the developers' fault for not flagging their games on the back end to take advantage of it.

Derrick01

Banned
As long as there's no event where we have to log a billion hours into those to unlock the steam sale 5 minutes earlier then I'm ok with this. I can't go through that again.

Nabs

Daily: Velvet Assassin is $1.69

There is that system, it's the developers' fault for not flagging their games on the back end to take advantage of it.

I've noticed this lately. I'll start up a game and Steam will update something else while I play.

-----

Registry stuffs: Wolfenstein 09 got updated, so it may be coming back. We'll see.

A testapp for Arkane Studios went up along with an Arx Fatalis update. Possibly a pre-order bonus for Dishonored?

stuminus3

Yeah, Is velvet assassin worth the price of a vending machine snack?
A vending machine snack takes no more than a minute or two of my time.

Hmm... FEAR 3 for under 10 bucks. That is relevant to my interests. Bet it's down to 5 in a few weeks though, since the non-sale price is $19.99 now.

DagsJT

A vending machine snack takes no more than a minute or two of my time.

Hmm... FEAR 3 for under 10 bucks. That is relevant to my interests. Bet it's down to 5 in a few weeks though, since the non-sale price is $19.99 now.

I got it from Gamefly on 9th May for £3.25 so keep an eye on sites like that as it's a Steamworks game.

They haven't updated the text on the potato sack thing, it's still talking about a tf2 hat that won't be available until april of last year.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The games I plan on buying this sale are Rayman Origins and Binary Domain. Maybe something else if they go cheap. What about you guys?

Derrick01

Banned
Woah I didn't know the pages for South Park and Hitman Absolution were up. Wishlisted in case I win whatever summer sale contest they do.

Velvet Assassin isn't nearly as bad as yall are saying for that price, I still haven't beaten it but I'm close.

Atmosphere is great.
Main character is attractive as hell.
Taking out Nazis is fun.

Not a bad game really, it even has decent stealth.

The_End

Stuck at work, what is in the potato deal?

$19.99 for thirteen games. If you own any of them, you receive a giftable copy of that game(s). If you already own all the games, (or you buy the pack) you get a potato hat in TF2. The games in the pack are as follows:

1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
AudioSurf
BIT.TRIP BEAT
Cogs
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Killing Floor
Rush
Super Meat Boy
The Ball
The Wonderful End of the World
Toki Tori

Weenerz

Banned
$19.99 for thirteen games. If you own any of them, you receive a giftable copy of that game(s). If you already own all the games, (or you buy the pack) you get a potato hat in TF2. The games in the pack are as follows:

1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
AudioSurf
BIT.TRIP BEAT
Cogs
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Killing Floor
Rush
Super Meat Boy
The Ball
The Wonderful End of the World
Toki Tori

Bleh, I have every one of these games. And since I retired from TF2, I don't care about the hat.

Plus, if you own all 13 of the games in this pack (or purchase this pack), get a special Team Fortress 2 potato hat (Hat available after April 5th) and a special skin in Portal 2 co-op.
Heh...

It's a good bundle, but if you've been buying a lot of the Indie Bundles, you're bound to own most.

HoosTrax

Didn't the real Potato Sack have "AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity"? This one has the sequel "AaAaAA!!! For the Awesome".

Either way, I didn't care for any of the Dejobaan games in this pack. (And yes, 1-2-3 Kickit is awful and feels like an alpha product)

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I am at work but is the Broken Sword 2 remaster free to those that bought the pack yesterday? Not that it bothers me much if not.

The_End

Bleh, I have every one of these games. And since I retired from TF2, I don't care about the hat.

Actually, I'm not even sure about the hat part. It's been pointed out already in this thread (but I missed it because I was busy copying the list of games in the pack) that the description says that the hat will be available on April 5th. Either there is a hat and they got the date wrong, or they forgot to delete the part about the hat when they copied the text from last year's deal.

Whew, already got the Potato Sack the first time, as well as the golden potato. Guess I can pass on...

Plus, if you own all 13 of the games in this pack (or purchase this pack), get a special Team Fortress 2 potato hat (Hat available after April 5th) and a special skin in Portal 2 co-op.

God damnit Valve.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I tried the Spec Ops demo on PS3, not impressed. If the demo is anything to go by, you basically just trudge down a mostly walled off and linear path with your gravelly voiced bros, who mutter one-liners while you stop and play whack-a-mole with terrorists every 30 seconds. It wasn't painfully bad, but totally uninspired. It's all been done before, and so much better. The unveiling way back when suggested that it might use terrain deformation in a clever way, but in the demo it was all obvious stuff like shooting a conveniently placed explosive object to drop sand on some dudes. It didn't help that the demo started with a heavily scripted mounted machine gun segment, that shit is tired. I'll pass.

Has anyone gotten the pack recently and also gotten the TF2 hat?

Some people on SPUF are thinking you won't get it, it's just from the leftover description from last year.

iavi

So glad I picked up Sonic and Sega ASR. The demo was always fun, but the full thing is a nostalgia overload, while playing like an Outrun-lite. Transformed is a day one now. Sumo gets arcade racers.

I'm also on an Nvidia card, so I'm not seeing any of the issues with shader hiccups.

ArjanN

I tried the Spec Ops demo on PS3, not impressed. If the demo is anything to go by, you basically just trudge down a mostly walled off and linear path with your gravelly voiced bros, who mutter one-liners while you stop and play whack-a-mole with terrorists every 30 seconds. It wasn't painfully bad, but totally uninspired. It's all been done before, and so much better. The unveiling way back when suggested that it might use terrain deformation in a clever way, but in the demo it was all obvious stuff like shooting a conveniently placed explosive object to drop sand on some dudes. It didn't help that the demo started with a heavily scripted mounted machine gun segment, that shit is tired. I'll pass.

Looking forward to the new Tater Sack, though!

I'm not sure the demo really does it justice as I think the whole point of the game is kind of that you start out as a bunch of dudebros, who then over the course of the game get traumatized by war Apocalypse Now-style.

The gameplay will probably still be mostly gears-like 3rd person shooter though yeah.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is Velvet Assassin really, really bad or can it be fun due to some cool story or characters? Everyone hated on Hydrophobia, but I kinda liked it, same with a lot of other 60-70ish games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm not sure the demo really does it justice as I think the whole point of the game is kind of that you start out as a bunch of dudebros, who then over the course of the game get traumatized by war Apocalypse Now-style.

Yeah, that's true. I'm not sure if they'll pull it off, but either way it should be fun to hear Nolan North go through meltdowns.

Daily: Velvet Assassin is $1.69

I've noticed this lately. I'll start up a game and Steam will update something else while I play.

-----

Registry stuffs: Wolfenstein 09 got updated, so it may be coming back. We'll see.

A testapp for Arkane Studios went up along with an Arx Fatalis update. Possibly a pre-order bonus for Dishonored?

Hopefully it's the GoG version. The version of Arx fatalis they have on Steam is functionally unplayable, I ended up using an open source fan-made patch.

MRORANGE

is now available to watch.

Benefits of Steam version:

- 1080P, full HD video application.

- ‘Team Meat’ Audio Commentary Track: Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes provide their various insights throughout the film. Hilarious, informative and sometimes outright lies. It’s a great compliment to the film.

- Subtitle / Language Support: The IGTM steam application will support the following subtitles: English, English (descriptive), French,Italian, Portuguese (Brazil) and Traditional Chinese (more to come in future updates).

- Video Extras: Assorted video pieces produced during the production of the film.

OT here btw

1-D_FTW

So glad I picked up Sonic and Sega ASR. The demo was always fun, but the full thing is a nostalgia overload, while playing like an Outrun-lite. Transformed is a day one now. Sumo gets arcade racers.

I'm also on an Nvidia card, so I'm not seeing any of the issues with shader hiccups.

Yeah. I like it. But that's why I always use the term Sega arcade racer in describing it. If people go in expecting that and not Mario Kart, they'll have a much better idea of what to expect. Personally, I greatly prefer that direction.

Is Velvet Assassin really, really bad or can it be fun due to some cool story or characters? Everyone hated on Hydrophobia, but I kinda liked it, same with a lot of other 60-70ish games.

Yeah thats what I'm wondering too. Hate to add to the backlog of doom but for $1.50 I'm tempted. I seem to recall a lot of "meh's" and hate for The Saboteur and Metro 2033 but I thought both of those were amazing (if a little buggy in spots).

Eternia

Was there a Last Remnant Sale before?

Really interested, but still costs 30€ here on Steam for PC...
It reached as low as $10 USD when the regular price was at $40 a few times. But then last year for whatever reason they raised the price to $50...

It's at $30 USD right now.

Megasoum

Banned

Looking forward to the new Tater Sack, though!

And don't forget Nolan North talking non stop...

The dude is in a ton of games but for some reason Spec Ops is the first one where it really annoyed me. I could only hear Nathan Drake. I didn't even finish the demo because of that (and the game was boring anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom