• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they're hiring a community manager who has experience with message boards and social media.

So it looks like they might be loosening their grip a bit on staff talking about stuff.

Derrick01

Banned
I tried the Spec Ops demo on PS3, not impressed. If the demo is anything to go by, you basically just trudge down a mostly walled off and linear path with your gravelly voiced bros, who mutter one-liners while you stop and play whack-a-mole with terrorists every 30 seconds. It wasn't painfully bad, but totally uninspired. It's all been done before, and so much better. The unveiling way back when suggested that it might use terrain deformation in a clever way, but in the demo it was all obvious stuff like shooting a conveniently placed explosive object to drop sand on some dudes. It didn't help that the demo started with a heavily scripted mounted machine gun segment, that shit is tired. I'll pass.

Sounds like everything I hate in modern gaming. Thanks for telling me to pass on it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Zeno clash is a great and beautiful game

I so wanted to love it but it gave me the middle finger during that "cage match" scene after the first act or something. I died and died and died and died and died and then quit.

Adnor

Banned
I still have to buy Zeno Clash, it looks so good, and it's made by chileans, so I must help the local videogame industry.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got it for $8. Value still holding up.

Bought Witcher 2 day 1 still haven't played through it because AA doesn't work. I have problems.

KarmaCow

Any word if AC3 will be steamworks? I could preorder it somewhere else at a significant discount, but I want it on Steam.

...it's a sickness.

MRORANGE

I remember buying Fear 3 for $18. Now it's on sale for $8 and I still haven't played it.

iargD.jpg

I got it for £3.50/$5

Freezard

Killing Floor updated with the potato stuff from last year (achievement). Hopefully there will be another ARG this year :)

Joe Molotov

Extremely unlikely, like 98% chance no. Ubi likes to use their own shitty uplay system.

The fact that AssCreed 3 showed up super early on the Steam "Coming Soon" section, which is usually something they only do with Steamworks games, made some people think that it might be Steamworks, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Dmax3901

Potato Sack reunion?! New ARG? Oh god please.

EDIT: It's unlikely I know, but both Killing Floor and RUSH got updates recently...

What reason would they have to run another ARG. They don't really have anything coming out except Dota 2 and it's not the kind of game that an ARG would make sense for.

Symphonic

What reason would they have to run another ARG. They don't really have anything coming out except Dota 2 and it's not the kind of game that an ARG would make sense for.

They don't need a reason, could just be for fun with the summer sale.

Or if you want to get crazy, HL3

Megasoum

Banned
Extremely unlikely, like 98% chance no. Ubi likes to use their own shitty uplay system.

Don't forget the most important Uplay feature. Wait until exactly 1 month before release to announce that the game will be exactly one month late.

Oh and I booted Civ 5 for the first time in a while and it's doing a "Game content conversion"?? Wtf is that? It's the first time I see that.

epmode

Oh and I booted Civ 5 for the first time in a while and it's doing a "Game content conversion"?? Wtf is that? It's the first time I see that.
It allows Valve to push out differential patches for that particular game.

For example:

Previously, if a five gigabyte archive file was slightly altered by a patch, Steam would redownload the entire 5 GB file. Now, Steam will only download the small difference and the file will be patched by Steam itself. Saves time and bandwidth.

Blizzard

Banned
It allows Valve to push out differential patches for that particular game.

For example:

Previously, if a five gigabyte archive file was slightly altered by a patch, Steam would redownload the entire 5 GB file. Now, Steam will only download the small difference and the file will be patched by Steam itself. Saves time and bandwidth.
Unfortunately, it's presumably the new content system which means patches make my hard disk grind really loudly and freeze my computer for 5-10 minutes. :| At least nothing typically updates as much as DOTA 2 (I noticed Portal 2 updated to the new content system).

epmode

I also notice a performance hit when DOTA updates but I've only had my computer stop responding once or twice. I leave Steam open all the time so maybe it's updating when I'm not around. Or it's just a buggy implementation.

Well we get ZC2, I wonder if they expand the scope.

The switch to UE3 bums me out. That trailer makes me a bit worried too mainly in that the characters don't look as good as they did in the first game (at least to me). I understand why they're doing it, but I'd love to see what they'd be able to do with the current version of Source.

Still interested in it, because I loved the original, just not as excited as I thought I'd be.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The switch to UE3 bums me out. That trailer makes me a bit worried too mainly in that the characters don't look as good as they did in the first game (at least to me). I understand why they're doing it, but I'd love to see what they'd be able to do with the current version of Source.

Still interested in it, because I loved the original, just not as excited as I thought I'd be.

You are bummed because they switched to an engine that made their work significantly easier? Not every engine is a good fit for every game.

You are bummed because they switched to an engine that made their work significantly easier? Not every engine is a good fit for every game.

No, and I understand that. I should have worded it better. There's just something different in the look of the game that I can't really put my finger on, and I attributed it to the change to Unreal Engine 3. The engine makes it easier for them to get the game out to as many people as possible which is great, and lets them do this crazy open world type thing. In the end of the day, it's not something I'll even pay attention to an hour into the game. Just an initial reaction to a minute of non-gameplay footage. That back half looks great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom