• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

No, and I understand that. I should have worded it better. There's just something different in the look of the game that I can't really put my finger on, and I attributed it to the change to Unreal Engine 3. The engine makes it easier for them to get the game out to as many people as possible which is great, and lets them do this crazy open world type thing. In the end of the day, it's not something I'll even pay attention to an hour into the game. Just an initial reaction to a minute of non-gameplay footage. That back half looks great though.

I can agree to an extent, XC1 being Source was probably the tipping point for me first getting into it, although it's almost purely out of fascination. Had the same reaction with Ninja Theory switching to UE3 for Enslaved from whatever they were using in Heavily Sword, just didn't hold up technically and it felt like performance capture took a hit in the process.

Jzero

iargD.jpg

I got it for £3.50/$5

How do you guys not play the games you buy? i play them for at least 10 minutes :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve presumably has super strong NDA's. Even Gabe was afraid of mentioning certain things in interviews since he said that other guy would get mad at him, I think.

One guess as to what that certain thing is (seems like he's joking, though :p).

Any word if AC3 will be steamworks? I could preorder it somewhere else at a significant discount, but I want it on Steam.

...it's a sickness.

No word, but it's an Ubi game, so assume the answer is also "no."

I noticed the midweek madness is a "potato sack reunion" deal. Those were pretty awesome times, I miss them. Does this look like the g-man's left eye? let's get a hundred people into an irc to discuss it. I notice sometimes that my profile still has the gold potato, I wonder if valve is ever going to do anything else with those. Or if they're just a weird badge of honor. I'd love to see another arg like the potato sack someday.

Wok

Just bought Krater. Still downloading. Any impressions?

Here is a compilation of the comments for the beta on the previous Steam thread.

I just played a bit of the initial beta release and it was pretty limited so I got bored.

I have played it for one hour. I am surprised how poorly the game runs on my laptop, I am disappointed it does not look as beautiful as on the videos. The quests were boring: kill some monsters, loot everything, etc. The combat system feels good though.

Really enjoying Krater so far - looks great and runs very nicely as well.

I'm really digging it so far though; could maybe use a little more variety in the classes, there's only 4 as far as I can tell, but that said they're all quite distinct.

TGMIII

I remember there being a good bit of hype around Krater when it was announced but it seems like it's just released without any noise. Can't say I'm interested in playing that type of game single-player but I might pick it up when they add the co-op to the game. With Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn and path of exile coming out soon, and D3 is already out, it's a crowded market for that sort of game.

Played the demo for Spec Ops: The Line, it's easily a game I would've otherwise dismissed if not for the demo. I think I would buy it if not for the fact that it comes out on the same day as Ghost Recon Future Soldier, which I've already pre-ordered. I can understand being kind of jaded towards cinematic, cover based third person shooters but for what it's worth I think what this game does, it does very well. I'm interested to hear if it lives up to Apocalypse Now narrative bent well or not. Mechanically the guns fall kind of between being sim and arcadey, the shooting felt satisfying and the lite-squad controls kinda reminded me of Freedom Fighter. The setting is unique and, honestly, kind of stunning. Dubai in the first half of the demo looks like Mars. That's better than any vista I saw in Red Faction: Guerrilla. It wasn't on my radar before, but now it is.

Blitzhex

Dubai in the first half of the demo looks like Mars. That's better than any vista I saw in Red Faction: Guerrilla. It wasn't on my radar before, but now it is.

I live in Dubai and that's exactly how Dubai looks, if you look over at the Sheikh Zayed road skyline from a patch of desert behind it.

Apart from that, from what I've played of the demo, the game bears no resemblance to Dubai at all. It's funny seeing familiar road signs in the middle of nowhere though.

The website for the game is also blocked here (lolwat?).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
anyone having Steam lock up during the log in?

Card Boy

Banned
MP3 Season Pass available on GMG
$27 with storewide code UBISO-FTISG-LOBAL

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/max-payne-3-rockstar-pass/

Will probably pick up to go with the free $5 credit they had a while back. Would be a bit more tempting if they had a release schedule for the stuff.

Im rank 16, after 16hrs, it will take ages to get to 50 and Im noticing the grind starting to kick in. Paid DLC maps always split the community in my experience. Still it's one of the best multiplayer games I have played.

wilflare

hope MP3 goes on sale or something.. the MP seems awesome

just played Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning for the first time.
kinda expected more from it. but shall see how it goes

jediyoshi

Im rank 16, after 16hrs, it will take ages to get to 50 and Im noticing the grind starting to kick in. Paid DLC maps always split the community in my experience. Still it's one of the best multiplayer games I have played.

The unlock pacing is pretttty odd. For some reason rather than pacing it throughout the teens, they just dump a whole boat load of the weapon unlocks at you when you hit 20.

ZZMitch

I only have to finish off Lara Croft and Bulletstorm and I will have completely finished off my (main) steam backlog. Feels good man.

My secondary steam backlog (for games to play on my laptop) is still menacing though.

Firebrand

Greenman Gaming: 25% off on Civilization V: Gods & Kings with voucher code CIVGO-DSAND-KINGS.

It seems that the advertised "25%" includes the existing 10% pre-order discount, unlike the previous voucher.

Greenman Gaming: 25% off on Civilization V: Gods & Kings with voucher code CIVGO-DSAND-KINGS.

It seems that the advertised "25%" includes the existing 10% pre-order discount, unlike the previous voucher.
I preordered this June 1st from GMG. I'm pretty sure they already charged my card, so I can't cancel and reorder to get it a bit cheaper. $20 is good enough. I would have liked it a bit cheaper, though.

Firebrand

I preordered this June 1st from GMG. I'm pretty sure they already charged my card, so I can't cancel and reorder to get it a bit cheaper. $20 is good enough. I would have liked it a bit cheaper, though.
The two previous 10% vouchers made the game $24.30 vs $22.95 with this one, so not a huge difference: $1.35.

I think they allow refunds on pre-orders as long as they haven't given you a key yet. If refunding onto a credit card is a hassle, they might be able to give you store credit instead?

EDIT: And oh, how broken is Sim City 4 on modern machines? The new SimCity got me itching for some city building. Is SC4 playable, or should I just go with CitiesXL instead?

ShaneB

EDIT: And oh, how broken is Sim City 4 on modern machines? The new SimCity got me itching for some city building. Is SC4 playable, or should I just go with CitiesXL instead?

It runs perfectly fine for me, Win7 x64. For more modern resolutions you just have to edit the shortcut... something like sc4.exe -1280x720... or whatever it is. I'm sure the Steam forums or something will have it more precise.

edit.. yeah, here. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1879359

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What is the oldest game ever made in Steam? Since I'm wondering if it has old games and if they do some sort of "dosbox" thing GoG does.

Space Quest maybe? Which I guess uses DosBox.

Kings Quest. And the collection includes an older version of DOSBox. As memory serves the installation basically plops the old files in various directories and creates DOSbox shortcuts to start the games (I think there's a cheap launcher menu, too), which means you can get a new version of DOSBox and run the games through that and independently of Steam.

Baha

Alan Wake just got a patch that enables Very Low graphics setting among other fixes.

Alan Wake v1.06 release notes:

* Added a “Very Low” graphics setting to enable the game to run on lower performance GPUs. This disables MSAA and grass (that’s dependent on it) and disables fading between LOD levels.
* Fixed Alt+Tab crash on some systems.
* Fixed a very rare startup crash.
* Fixes some cases where the game started to main menu but users could not select any menu entries. This was caused by the keybinds.xml being corrupted.
* Fixed some cases of handling custom My Documents paths where game could crash if that was mapped to the root of a drive.
* Fixed the minor DLC1 “black cubes in the mirror” graphical glitch.
* Please see our forum for up to date troubleshooting and update information: http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7759

And The Dream Machine just got updated but no patch notes yet, doesn't seem to be episode 4.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kings Quest. And the collection includes an older version of DOSBox. As memory serves the installation basically plops the old files in various directories and creates DOSbox shortcuts to start the games (I think there's a cheap launcher menu, too), which means you can get a new version of DOSBox and run the games through that and independently of Steam.

Some of the id games (which have been on Steam since like Summer 2007, IIRC) use DosBox.

Ahh interesting.

Made me wonder though, does Steam put games from dead developers? Since if it isn't the case, then it pretty much confirms that we won't see Theme Hospital and Wizardry 8 in Steam.

I'm still baffled at the lack of SimGolf, you'd think Friaxis would put it up. But then, it's owned by EA.

HoosTrax

Made me wonder though, does Steam put games from dead developers? Since if it isn't the case, then it pretty much confirms that we won't see Theme Hospital and Wizardry 8 in Steam.
I don't think the status of the developer matters. It's probably more a question of whether the publisher who currently owns the rights to the game is interested in selling it.

Not sure what happened to the Wizardry 8 rights. Jagged Alliance was picked up by Strategy First.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't...and Shane know that hehe

Edit: What Shane said
You're the first person I can recall in the last year or so saying they need games to play in a Steam thread. :p Presumably you should buy a whole bunch of games just before the summer sale starts, what could go wrong!

So is there a way to convert all my games to this "new file format" all at once? Or do I need to sit here for three hours clicking on each game?

Levyne

Banned
You're the first person I can recall in the last year or so saying they need games to play in a Steam thread. :p Presumably you should buy a whole bunch of games just before the summer sale starts, what could go wrong!

Well the first two games I bought gave me 300 hours so I didn't have to add much for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom