• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

I can't run Just Cause 2 either. Is it because my Graphics Card is overheating?

Untitled-1.png
Put your computer in the freezer and run it there. Never, ever take it out except to move it to another freezer.

Actually, buy a freezer just for this, you don't want to melt all your food.

Crayons

Banned
Holy shit, yeah, not even Satan's video card runs that hot. Fan busted?

I just checked, the fan was running so fast that I couldn't see the blades moving and I put my finger there and now I know it works.
Whenever I play most games my CPU usage skyrockets to 100%.

Blizzard

Banned
I just checked, the fan was running so fast that I couldn't see the blades moving and I put my finger there and now I know it works.
No, your CPU seems okay, it's your graphics card that has a problem, as if the graphics card fan doesn't work. CPU going to 100% for games is probably normal.

Seriously, don't play games unless you figure out what's wrong with your graphics card. Best case it damages itself, worse case it burns other stuff in your computer along with it.

feel

People who don't care about the csgo beta are getting it randomly and not me despite signing up for it ages ago!! Aaaargh.. :(

Everyone needs to get in the Just Cause 2 mp mod RIGHT NOW

Holy crap, it's publicly available already? :O

I will if there is a GAF group to play with.

I meant from the Flatout series. The others (made by Bugbear) are actually kinda good.

holy SHIT there's a mp mod for this? OMG

I totally would if my gaming PC wasn't down. My laptop can't run JC2. :(

Untitled-1.png

I'm buying a new video card...

Anyone have any recos? It has been a whiiiillee.

You stuck your finger in a moving fan?

Cheers,
Tony

CTE

You need to fix that GPU temp. ASAP.

Derrick01

Banned

Well I'm no expert but I'd go with a high level Nvidia one since AMD always seems to have problems whether its with games or drivers. You may get like 1% less performance in some games but you'll get 1000% less frustration.

Maybe It's not the fan, It could be the thermal paste.

At some point my GPU was getting really hot and I had to replace It's thermal paste. Temperature went down like 20-30°C.

Yes. Was that a bad idea? I always thought I couldn't run games because my graphics card was outdated, but I guess it's because it overheats. I guess I should get a new one, then.

Don't listen to these sissy-nannies, a little system fan isn't going to hurt you. Sticking your finger near a 125C heatsink CAN hurt you, though. Seriously, get rid of that thing before it goes critical and destroys the neighborhood.

There's no doubt that it works.

Yes. Was that a bad idea? I always thought I couldn't run games because my graphics card was outdated, but I guess it's because it overheats. I guess I should get a new one, then.

Don't listen to these sissy-nannies, a little system fan isn't going to hurt you. Sticking your finger near a 125C heatsink CAN hurt you, though. Seriously, get rid of that thing before it goes critical and destroys the neighborhood.

Lol I've just never heard of that as a solution. My parents always told me to keep my fingers away from fans :).

Well I'm no expert but I'd go with a high level Nvidia one since AMD always seems to have problems whether its with games or drivers. You may get like 1% less performance in some games but you'll get 1000% less frustration.

I'm not an expert, but what does the rest of your PC look like? What do you have right now?

EDIT: There's actually a great thread here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869&page=138
I just built my first gaming PC and this thread helped so much.

Try asking here and check OP. Should be able to get you sorted out for what gpu you'll need.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

Thanks guys I'm going to head over to that thread and bother them. Sorry to clog up this one :).

Cheers,
Tony

kswiston

Cheers,
Tony

What is your budget? I agree with Derrick that you should go with Nvidia. The GTX 600 series cards are too pricey for me at $400+, but those are obviously the top end cards. If you are looking to spend a couple hundred less, the GTX 560/560ti/570 are probably the best value currently. I recently bought a GTX 560 and am quite happy with it. Depending on what sales you can find they are around $150-175. The 560ti is 10-15% more powerful, but costs another $30-40. The 570 is a noticeable step up from the 560ti but will cost you another $40-50. There is a 580, but it is over $400.

Eusis

Thanks guys I'm going to head over to that thread and bother them. Sorry to clog up this one :).

Cheers,
Tony
Make sure to check out Tom's Hardware's features on Graphic Cards, they'll rank them to give you an idea of how much a boost you'll get from upgrading, though there are some oddities; for a long while the 560 Ti was put on a tier below the 6950, despite being essentially the nVidia equivalent. It was moved up, possibly because of better driver supporting bring out more performance.

Also, it can't be stressed enough that that the 560 and 560 Ti are very different cards. It seems to be a situation similar to the 8800 GT/9800 GT where a card basically got a slight tune up and a number that implied a generational leap when it was anything but that, and nVidia's done crap like this for at least 10 years (GeForce 4 MX being an overclocked GeForce 2 I believe). Mind, it seems the 560 prices have gotten low enough that they're a reasonable alternative to the 560 Tis now, but if going a bit over $200 isn't too much then those or the 6950s are likely your best choices right now. I can max out Max Payne outside of MSAA and only get a few bothersome frame rate drops at 1680x1050, and even MSAA would've probably been fine if I had more than 1 GB video ram.

LuffyZoro

If you threw some water in there it'd evaporate before it had time to do any damage.

Card Boy

Banned
I fucking get puzzled when people bring up the "not even the people that made the game know how to make it" argument.

It's their product.

Each to their own keep in mind the same people making CS:GO are most likely ain't the same people from the original mod team from 1999. 5 seconds of playing CS:GO you can immediately tell the shooting and recoil is completely effed up. People complained about Source about being not as good as CS1.6, CS:GO is worse than Source. They changed it abit based on player feedback over the course of the beta but it's still way off.

Each to their own keep in mind the same people making CS:GO are most likely ain't the same people from the original mod team from 1999. 5 seconds of playing CS:GO you can immediately tell the shooting and recoil is completely effed up. People complained about Source about being not as good as CS1.6, CS:GO is worse than Source. They changed it abit based on player feedback over the course of the beta but it's still way off.

By "effed" up dont you just mean doesnt feel like vanilla CS? Thats the essential problem. They arent trying to make the exact same game. By sayning it feels "way off" you assume it is supposed to feel like the original. Yes it feels different. People can still play the original if they want something that feels exactly the same.

AcridMeat

Banned
Finished Binary Domain today after playing most of it yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a bit, really entertaining throughout. Some of the best characters, especially for a shooter, in quite a while.

It took me until the credits were rolling to figure out why the main character looked so familiar. He looks like Francis York Morgan.
9aK3m.jpg

r3xJs.jpg

At least to me. Highly recommend anyone who likes 3rd person games to play it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My keyboard is broken. Sorry I can't type I am a pathetic douche bag that has to have a friend type this. Sorry I am soo very sorry.

How often are the Steam versions of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall on sale? anyone remember the last time? I just found out about these games now lol, about 5 years lttp. I'm big on plot, story, and characters so they sound great. Currently the combo pack is $24.99 on Steam

Card Boy

Banned
How often are the Steam versions of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall on sale? anyone remember the last time? I just found out about these games now lol, about 5 years lttp. I'm big on plot, story, and characters so they sound great.

I think i bought the from the Xmas sale for 6.24 or some obscure number like that. Haven't played them yet.

zkylon

zkylewd
Finished Binary Domain today after playing most of it yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a bit, really entertaining throughout. Some of the best characters, especially for a shooter, in quite a while.

It took me until the credits were rolling to figure out why the main character looked so familiar. He looks like Francis York Morgan.
9aK3m.jpg

r3xJs.jpg

At least to me. Highly recommend anyone who likes 3rd person games to play it.
This is the thing that has most tempted me about buying BD :O

I played about an hour of Binary Domain yesterday and I couldn't find a sensitivity setting that worked for me.

I had the aiming FoV the same as the horizontal at 60 and it felt really, really loose.

What should I set it at? (playing on pad)

feel

I played about an hour of Binary Domain yesterday and I couldn't find a sensitivity setting that worked for me.

I had the aiming FoV the same as the horizontal at 60 and it felt really, really loose.

What should I set it at? (playing on pad)
I had normal FOV at 70, aiming FOV at 45 and stick sensitivity at 2, felt perfect.

Salsa

Wait, it's only up for a day or two? :( I was hoping to pick up the pc version of JC2 in the summer sale for this. How far is it from final release?

depends on what they wanna do with it. For now there's a single spawn point, no grappling people, no NPCS at all, no pick-ups

its a huge advance though specially since the mod re-appeared out of nowhere. Im sure it'll be finished soon enough

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm not sure if I can handle the excitement of JC2 multiplayer :(

Mods are disallowed there? I have the strong grapple and long grapple mod.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now everybody gets to see how much of a disappointment CS:GO is compared to CS1.6 and Source. Not even Valve knows how to remake Counter-Strike.

GO is better than Source and could very well end up at least comparable to 1.6, and I say this as somebody who thoroughly enjoys both said predecessors but greatly prefers 1.6. But, hey, CS has always been this divisive. I mean, there are people out there who are convinced that the series has been shit the moment the original game left b1.0.

Joe Molotov

Untitled-1.png

Just do a search for "Geforce 9100 overheating" and you'll get a million hits. It's a crappy old integrated chipset that probably doesn't even have enough juice to run JC2 even if it wasn't running hotter than Satan's jock strap.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Just do a search for "Geforce 9100 overheating" and you'll get a million hits. It's a crappy old integrated chipset that probably doesn't even have enough juice to run JC2 even if it wasn't running hotter than Satan's jock strap.

I got JC2 running on an old 8800 so heating issues aside I would think a 9100 should be able to run it.

Joe Molotov

I got JC2 running on an old 8800 so heating issues aside I would think a 9100 should be able to run it.

This is why I hate videocard branding, an 8800 is actually way more powerful than a 9100. Not sure which version of the 8800 you had (the was like 5 different ones), but the low-end 8800's were just rebranded as 9600's and the high end 8800 were just rebranded as a 9800 variant.

Just because it's a higher number, that doesn't mean it's better. The first number denotes generation, while the following number is the model of card. I actually highly doubt a 8800 is worse than a 9100.

Edit: Wow, that got beat to death in 2 minutes. Sorry!

kswiston

Geforce 9100G
540 MHz Core Clock
256 MB DDR2, 400 MHZ Memory Clock
1300 MHZ Shader Clock
5.1 G texels/s fill rate
7.6 GB/s Memory bandwidth

Geforce 8800GS (the lowest 8800 card)
550 MHz Core Clock
384 MB GDDR3, 800 MHZ Memory Clock
1375 MHZ Shader Clock
26 G texels/s fill rate
38 GB/s Memory bandwidth

When comparing videocards, always look at the second number as mentioned already. 9100 was a 9th gen card but it was the worst card in the line. The 8800 was 8th gen, but was a high end card. You'd probably be better off with an 8800 than a Geforce 210 or 310 even though those cards are way newer. Low end cards are not made for gaming. Their target audience just wants to be able to run web applets and stream video.

Crayons

Banned
Wow, I thought that the higher the number was better. Thanks a lot guys! I had no idea my graphics card was that bad. But I got it from a pre-built computer for $550 so I guess I got what I paid for. Looks like it'll be a while before I buy a better card. In the mean time, I'm still going to play the few games I can play before they eventually go down to 1 FPS because of overheating.

Wow, I thought that the higher the number was better. Thanks a lot guys! I had no idea my graphics card was that bad. But I got it from a pre-built computer for $550 so I guess I got what I paid for. Looks like it'll be a while before I buy a better card. In the mean time, I'm still going to play the few games I can play before they eventually go down to 1 FPS because of overheating.

You could probably by an older card like a 9800GT for relatively cheap and pop that baby in. It's super easy to install a graphics card. Super super easy.

Wow... logged on for a couple minutes... looks fun as crap.

Is just cause 2 better with keyboard or pad?
I prefer it on pad, if only because JC2 does that annoying view binding when you try to look around quickly. Can't stand it when they do that in a PC game. Default keybinds were also pretty messy considering how well it groups actions for controller buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom