• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there are any promo codes for the THQ online store? They've just announced the Darksiders 2 premium pack with season pass and Metro 2033 for £34.99, but the game without the season pass is only £26.99 on GMG (with voucher code). If I could get the THQ shop edition down to around £30 I'd buy it from there - I already own Metro so that's not really a factor in the decision for me.

hngh.... goddammit.

wazoo

This will be my first Steam sales.

I may be one one of the only guy to await for drop on the Orange Box :)

Crysis 1 and Warhead also, please. And a few other like FEAR and oldies.

Nabs

MW3 Content Pack 2 is out. Two free Faceoff maps were released as well. I hope they also pushed out the matchmaking fix.

header_292x136.jpg

This will be my first Steam sales.

I may be one one of the only guy to await for drop on the Orange Box :)

Crysis 1 and Warhead also, please. And a few other like FEAR and oldies.

Remember to wait for the daily deals. I know it will be tough, but it'll pay off.

Smash88

Banned
Steam sale will be starting tomorrow.

I hope you guys are ready.

Oh yeah, proof.

Proof:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Damaged_Capacitor

"Damaged Capacitor is a crafting ingredient that was added in the June 19, 2012 Patch. The text on it reads '6.22V1500'."

Or it could just be a TF2 class update, but you know it's too close to sale date for it not to be true.
Oh god how I hope it is true for the steam sale to start tomorrow...

nexen

My wishlist:

header_292x136.jpg

Supposedly boring, but I liked the demo well enough. I'll bite if it goes $15 or lower.

header_292x136.jpg

I desperately want this one but have a feeling I'll get like 5 hours into it and abandon it. $10 or lower.

header_292x136.jpg

Risen was freaking awesome. Is this much worse? Reviews seem to say yes. $15 or lower.

header_292x136.jpg

LOTR: War in the North. I know it is $10 right now, hoping it goes lower for the sale but I'm betting it will be at least $10.

header_292x136.jpg

I really want this for $5. Pretty please?

header_292x136.jpg

KRATER!!! This looks amazing and I will probably buy at full price if it doesn't go down any during the sale (and I dont spend too much on something else)

Wizman23

Banned
As a virgin PC gamer (built my rig in March) the thing I'm looking forward to the most from the Summer Sale is the Valve complete pack.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD

Oh yeah, proof.

Proof:

"Damaged Capacitor is a crafting ingredient that was added in the June 19, 2012 Patch. The text on it reads '6.22V1500'."

Or it could just be a TF2 class update, but you know it's too close to sale date for it not to be true.
I get paid tomorrow so it would be fine by me. Who needs to pay bills or mortgage or daycare or...

I am down to a bit under $300 credit now so I hope it is enough for the sale. I want to buy 300 copies of Bad Rats and gift them to everyone in this thread.

Blizzard

Banned
There used to be a 5-install limit on original Crysis with no revoke option. Stallion Free had to contact EA support to get additional install permissions. However, I think he said he installed it again since then, as if the limits has been raised or removed.

I -thought- Warhead had an install revoke tool, which should allow you to stay under the 5-install limit unless you are super unlucky and have 4-5 hard drives die on you.

If anyone has any hard data as to whether Crysis 1 on Steam still has the 5-install limit, please post it.

Following Stumpokapow's example from a couple pages back, I'm going to talk about some games I'm looking forward to being on sale. They probably won't appeal to most of you, but whatever. :p

It's a series of four games called Midnight Mysteries. They're a blend of hidden object gameplay with some adventure thrown in. Very much on the casual side but still enjoyable. Each one also covers something from history, either a particular person or incident.

yE4bn.jpg

The first in the series is about Edgar Allen Poe. I've already got this one on Steam and it's not bad. Mostly a hidden object game with very, very light adventure aspects. Short but has a decent story to it and a great atmosphere.

io4k9.jpg

The second game in the series is about the Salem Witch Trials. I have the iPad version of this but want to get it on Steam. Anyway, like the first game this also has a pretty good story and atmosphere. But this time they've put in more adventure aspects. There's much more exploring and puzzle solving, along with still having the hidden object parts.

Uuf8u.jpg

The third game is subtitled Devil in the Mississippi. I'm not sure if this is based on actual lore so if you're reading this and know of it please tell me where I can learn more about it. But based on the other two games and how they're about a real person and event, this one probably is, too. Well this continues with the hidden object and adventure aspects but to me it felt like more of an adventure game than a hidden object game. Again, interesting story, great atmosphere, and fun puzzles. Like the second game I have it on iPad but would like to have it on PC/Steam.

QwAQ3.jpg

Fourth game is based on Houdini. I haven't played this one yet so I can't comment. I'm sure it's good, though, as I've been happy with the other three games. Hopefully it continues to move towards more of an adventure game, though I don't mind hidden object gameplay at all. This was released on Steam just a few months ago, along with the second and third games. When I originally bought the first game in this series they weren't on Steam yet.

Well, if you managed to read all that and found them interesting them they may be for you. :p

So since this is my first steam sale I have to ask: Is it all all likely that Deux Ex will be any cheaper during the sale, or is the sale for it right now probably the best I can expect? Planning on buying it this weekend if so.

There used to be a 5-install limit on original Crysis with no revoke option. Stallion Free had to contact EA support to get additional install permissions. However, I think he said he installed it again since then, as if the limits has been raised or removed.

I -thought- Warhead had an install revoke tool, which should allow you to stay under the 5-install limit unless you are super unlucky and have 4-5 hard drives die on you.

If anyone has any hard data as to whether Crysis 1 on Steam still has the 5-install limit, please post it.

They recently raised the install limit to 50, but that's only for the retail version and I guess the Origin version.

So since this is my first steam sale I have to ask: Is it all all likely that Deux Ex will be any cheaper during the sale, or is the sale for it right now probably the best I can expect? Planning on buying it this weekend if so.

I'm giving it a buy rating

hyubi.jpg

If it does go on sale during the summer sale it wont be for much more than the 75% off you can get it for right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

you can expect 50-66% discounts for most games during the sale, with some games going to 75%-80% during daily deals. so deus ex is pretty much guaranteed not to be individually cheaper than 7.49 for de:hr. the risk would be the possibility of a Square Enix Complete Bundle which might be say $49-59 but include many many games you're interested in, and those bundles go a very long way to helping fill out your library.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If anyone's interested in Human Revolution I would wait and see if Amazon or someone else beats the steam price. I could see Amazon selling it for $5 probably, though Missing Link is a great price. My favorite DLC of the generation and I'd probably make a LTTP thread for it if I wasn't so lazy, I just beat it about 2 weeks ago.

For the entire package, its not going to get much better. And yes, The Missing Link DLC is completely worth it. Its closer to an expansion rather than DLC. Good 4-5 hour mission, with the most refined level design yet.

75% off is about the best you can do. On occasion, some get slightly more. But the only thing that would drop the bundle down would be the MSRP on DE:HR dropping.

MajorPain

Oh yeah, proof.

Proof:

I am really hoping for a good deal on Skyrim.

graywolf323

rule of thumb is 75% off or higher is too good to pass up

Blizzard

Banned
They recently raised the install limit to 50, but that's only for the retail version and I guess the Origin version.
That's still not proof one way or another about the Steam version, and doesn't explain Stallion being able to install again without asking EA for help. I realize that's anecdotal, but I just think we need more data to say for sure.

TGMIII

Oh yeah, proof.

Proof:

It's been a loooong time since I've worked with capacitors but wouldn't the text just be the ohm resistance? I know it's generally colour coded but it wouldn't be like valve to leave something so straight forward in front of everyones faces.

Blizzard

Banned
It's been a loooong time since I've worked with capacitors but wouldn't the text just be the ohm resistance? I know it's generally colour coded but it wouldn't be like valve to leave something so straight forward in front of everyones faces.
It sounds like you're thinking resistors, not capacitors. On electrolytic capacitors, the voltage and capacitance are usually written in text along the side. Presumably the argument is that 6.22 V is not a standard voltage limit and it's too much of a coincidence, so instead it hints at tomorrow.

Deadbeat

Banned
It sounds like you're thinking resistors, not capacitors. On electrolytic capacitors, the voltage and capacitance are usually written in text along the side. Presumably the argument is that 6.22 V is not a standard voltage limit and it's too much of a coincidence, so instead it hints at tomorrow.
You also have to remember that valve isnt what they seem. It could be a disappointment.
InJel.jpg

Rayman Origins is my only wanted game.

Will probably buy other stuff but Rayman is all I am looking out for.

Might give myself a 20 euro limit just for the sake of not buying a bunch of stuff I wont ever play.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The capacitator is part of some semi-ARG thing going on.

They added a bunch of items to TF2 that reveals hidden text when you are a medic wearing the Sherlock Holmes set. They figured out the entire quote they spell is "Think of the deeds of hellish cruelty, the hidden wickedness which may go on, year in, year out, in such places, and none the wiser."

Some people think its connected to Telltale games somehow because the items all appear in various games and the descriptions seem to hint at it.

POCKET LINT: Puzzle Agent has a "Bureau of Naval Lint" in the White House. The connection is backed up by the TF2 item's description - "Is it fabric lint? Navel lint you're keeping in your pocket so you don't lose it? Naval lint brushed from the hull of a battleship?"

CHEESE WHEEL: You shoot one during a Sam & Max Season 2 driving challenge. This is backed up by the TF2 item's description - "This cheese doesn't seem so mysterious until you realize it's full of bullet holes. Somebody got to this cheese before it could talk."

BARN DOOR PLANK: The Walking Dead is notorious for what goes on in its Barn scenes.

GOLDFISH: Almost definitely Mr. Spatula (from Sam & Max).

SECRET DIARY: Belongs to the Voodoo Lady from Tales Of Monkey Island; it appears in Episode 4.

DAMAGED CAPACITOR: Is it a 'flux' capacitor? Will we need to get Back to the Future at some point?

BANANA PEEL: Fished out of a garbage can in first episode of Sam & Max Season 3, as part of the "future sight" puzzle mechanic.

The 6.22 could be a hint towards the release of Walking Dead Ep. 2 and not Summer Sale related at all.

BioHazard

The capacitator is part of some semi-ARG thing going on.

They added a bunch of items to TF2 that reveals hidden text when you are a medic wearing the Sherlock Holmes set. They figured out the entire quote they spell is "Think of the deeds of hellish cruelty, the hidden wickedness which may go on, year in, year out, in such places, and none the wiser."

Some people think its connected to Telltale games somehow because the items all appear in various games and the descriptions seem to hint at it.

POCKET LINT: Puzzle Agent has a "Bureau of Naval Lint" in the White House. The connection is backed up by the TF2 item's description - "Is it fabric lint? Navel lint you're keeping in your pocket so you don't lose it? Naval lint brushed from the hull of a battleship?"

CHEESE WHEEL: You shoot one during a Sam & Max Season 2 driving challenge. This is backed up by the TF2 item's description - "This cheese doesn't seem so mysterious until you realize it's full of bullet holes. Somebody got to this cheese before it could talk."

BARN DOOR PLANK: The Walking Dead is notorious for what goes on in its Barn scenes.

GOLDFISH: Almost definitely Mr. Spatula (from Sam & Max).

SECRET DIARY: Belongs to the Voodoo Lady from Tales Of Monkey Island; it appears in Episode 4.

DAMAGED CAPACITOR: Is it a 'flux' capacitor? Will we need to get Back to the Future at some point?

BANANA PEEL: Fished out of a garbage can in first episode of Sam & Max Season 3, as part of the "future sight" puzzle mechanic.

The 6.22 could be a hint towards the release of Walking Dead Ep. 2 and not Summer Sale related at all.

The bomb has been defused

Joe Molotov

For Deus Ex to be -75% off one week before the start of the Summer sales, I expect big discounts for the first day: something like Skyrim -75% and Rayman Origins -66% for the first day, which is the day of the best deals in my opinion.

Deus Ex has been on sale really cheap a lot of times before, it's not really a big deal at this point.

Oreoleo

~snip~

Well, you certainly back up your evidence well enough. But I gotta say I really hope you're wrong.

bigace33

Not really. What it would be if it wasn't a Deus Ex title would be a Deus Ex-style game but incredibly dumbed down and with worse level design. They really screwed up with that game, even more than Ubisoft did with Splinter Cell Conviction. It's still the poster child for how to ruin a franchise.

Splinter Cell Conviction was a good game. Reading a lot of your posts I would think that maybe you have outgrown this illustrious hobby of ours. Lol you're like angry man off the Martin Lawrence show. It's like you work for Eurogamer or Edge or something. lol Do you like any games, bruh?

nexen

Splinter Cell Conviction was a good game. Reading a lot of your posts I would think that maybe you have outgrown this illustrious hobby of ours. Lol you're like angry man off the Martin Lawrence show. It's like you work for Eurogamer or Edge or something. lol Do you like any games, bruh?

I love Deus Ex: HR, but SC:Conviction was Ubisofted too much for my taste. Given how much I loved the SC series up to that point it was heartbreaking.

bigace33

I love Deus Ex: HR, but SC:Conviction was Ubisofted too much for my taste. Given how much I loved the SC series up to that point it was heartbreaking.

I stand corrected then. I may have bad taste because I thought Conviction was pretty good. I'm not a hardcore Splinter Cell fan though, but the action and pacing really kept me engaged through out most of the game. I thought it was the best one in quite some time, especially after that lame Double Agent game.

DagsJT

I stand corrected then. I may have bad taste because I thought Conviction was pretty good. I'm not a hardcore Splinter Cell fan though, but the action and pacing really kept me engaged through out most of the game. I thought it was the best one in quite some time, especially after that lame Double Agent game.

I hugely enjoyed Conviction, and enjoyed the previous games too.

TGMIII

What in sweet lords name is wrong with the controls in dead space 1. Standing still the mouse sensitivity is fine but once I actually try to move and turn at the same time I turn into a tank and practically have to swing my mouse to turn. Am I missing something?

Derrick01

Banned

I like plenty of games but not as much as I used to because of how much they've been dumbed down. Splinter Cell is this gen's perfect example of that.

nexen

The thing that broke me on conviction was the silent takeout = magic super shot mode.
Totally broke immersion for me. Might as well have had a Hyper meter and supermoves at that point.

Looked real pretty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom