• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
DAMN! I want this games, but have just bought Quantum Conundrum and the Red Faction franchise pack 3 days ago, when they were on sale (I got QC from GMG). I really shouldn't be spending all this money in such small time frame, but it's really tempting. How much is the Deus Ex franchise pack?

I think it's a fantastic idea, but I wish there some sort of Steam integration. I mean it's no problem for people to make LTTP threads and whatnot and people will play along, but imagine if within the NeoGAF steam group, you could make a specific event for playing through a game, set up challenges (get certain achievements for finishing the game, time played, etc), and easily see who has done what and compare. edit: I mean, I guess that's sort of game hubs can be, but that's STeam wide, and not for a set group of people.
That would actually be an excellent idea. I'm totally in!

Wok

DAMN! I want this games, but have just bought Quantum Conundrum and the Red Faction franchise pack 3 days ago, when they were on sale (I got QC from GMG). I really shouldn't be spending all this money in such small time frame, but it's really tempting. How much is the Deus Ex franchise pack?

Deus Ex is on sale every month. Wait unless you want to play now. Or buy the first one only, and play with updated textures.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dear god, Deus Ex is so much better than the combo you bought, it's kind of sad.

I would just giving up game shopping at this point.
I don't know, I'm liking the first RF so far. And I enjoyed the QC demo.

Deus Ex is on sale every month. Wait unless you want to play now. Or buy the first one only, and play with updated textures.
So you say I'd better wait till my backlog clears a bit? I don't know when will I play them, only that I want to. Yeah, I suppose I'm in no hurry to get them now, and if they go on sale that often, there's no difference between buying now and waiting a couple of months.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't remember Rage chopping so much when it first came out but I think that was before they put in the extra graphics options. Do you guys think it could be the texture loading doing it? I have the cache set to large since I remember when it came out and it took so long to load the textures every time you turned.

Wok

So you say I'd better wait till my backlog clears a bit? I don't know when will I play them, only that I want to. Yeah, I suppose I'm in no hurry to get them now, and if they go on sale that often, there's no difference between buying now and waiting a couple of months.

With videogames, you are never in a hurry to buy if it is not December. Plus you have the backlog to pass the year without having to go in the forest and chop some trees.

I don't remember Rage chopping so much when it first came out but I think that was before they put in the extra graphics options. Do you guys think it could be the texture loading doing it? I have the cache set to large since I remember when it came out and it took so long to load the textures every time you turned.

That is what happened to me. I stopped using the large cache and things sped up considerably.

How are those Sam & Max games? I just bought the old 93 one off of eBay last week.

Do you like point-and-click adventures? You'll like Sam & Max. If not, give them a pass. Almost all the episodes are good to great. Personally I preferred season 3 the least even though they were okay, but 1 and 2 are both solid.

The 93 one is a bit more edgy than the new ones.

Turn off texture streaming in the ini. SPUF has a guide.

Derrick01

Banned
That is what happened to me. I stopped using the large cache and things sped up considerably.

Yeah I tried that and it ran better. The only real problem was out driving in the wasteland with the really large areas but I'll probably leave it on until I clear Dead City. I still remember how awful that looked before they patched in the settings, it was like they forgot to texture the buildings lol.

Turn off texture streaming in the ini. SPUF has a guide.

I'll look into that later too I guess. I'm already almost halfway through the game again so it almost seems like no point.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If you are lucky, try to grab a code on Twitter.

I just got one. Pretty cool game so far! Level design is sort of Metroidvania style but I don't think it's a total Metroidvania game. It even has a map screen so maybe. But yeah, it's like a 2D version of Portal. Seems slick!

garath

FTL tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that. Been watching some let's plays of the beta this week. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

Wok

I just got one. Pretty cool game so far! Level design is sort of Metroidvania style but I don't think it's a total Metroidvania game. It even has a map screen so maybe. But yeah, it's like a 2D version of Portal. Seems slick!

I did not make the connection.

TjuIf.png

iNvid02

i went to click activate a product on steam just now and it closed the app - it keeps doing this

deleted client.blob but nothing, is there a fix for this or do i reinstall?

1-D_FTW

I don't know, I'm liking the first RF so far. And I enjoyed the QC demo.

No. He's saying you should buy immediately and move it to the top of your backlog. How can you look down on plebs if you've never been to the top of the mountain?

ShaneB

I'm glad the community section got a revamp, but it still feels very limited since the game hubs are all Steam user wide. Like I said, it would be cool to create a specific Game event hub for friends to join, create challenges to get through the game together, get certain achievements, compare etc etc and just to make it easier to promote playing games together that aren't really multiplayer games.

FTL tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that. Been watching some let's plays of the beta this week. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

game looks pretty cool. also a fan of space strat games

Same, have mentioned my interest in FTL a couple times, really excited for it. They've talked a bunch about it on the GamersWithJobs and PC Gamer UK podcast and lots of positive feedback.

Alright, preordered Borderlands 2 via GMG. I didn't give the first game its due so hopefully I like this one. I love FPS's and I like the idea of a Diablo style FPS. I just wish I could craft my own character instead of using one of the default ones. Otherwise, this could be fun.

Alright, preordered Borderlands 2 via GMG. I didn't give the first game its due so hopefully I like this one. I love FPS's and I like the idea of a Diablo style FPS. I just wish I could craft my own character instead of using one of the default ones. Otherwise, this could be fun.

Then you'll hate Borderlands.

Phinor

Then you'll hate Borderlands.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but in my case it's true. I play way too many fps games every year and even go back to classics every once in a while. Just recently I played through all the PC CoD games up to World at War, again. HL2 is my favourite game of all time.

And I hated Borderlands. Well hate is a strong word but I really didn't like it. Even co-op didn't make the experience much better. I got probably 5-6 hours into it and never really enjoyed any of it.

But I can easily see why most people really like Borderlands and the second game seems to improve literally everything. It's just not a game I like.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sorry if this sounds gullible. Is the Half Minute Hero game, really 30 seconds long?

How exactly does it play?

You have 30 seconds to beat the level, if time runs out you die.
Time does not decrease while you're in towns.
Time can be refilled up to 30 seconds while you're in towns in exchange for cash.

Basically, it's part-RPG part-puzzle game. The puzzle element is figuring out the right balance between pushing forward versus grinding your levels (as you can imagine, grinding doesn't take very long). Push forward too quickly and you'll be underleveled. Grind too much and you won't have enough money to top up your time or enough time to get through the level.

There's probably over 100 missions and many alternate game modes, so even though each level might only add up to 5 minutes, the overall game is pretty substantial.

Yeah I tried that and it ran better. The only real problem was out driving in the wasteland with the really large areas but I'll probably leave it on until I clear Dead City. I still remember how awful that looked before they patched in the settings, it was like they forgot to texture the buildings lol.

I'll look into that later too I guess. I'm already almost halfway through the game again so it almost seems like no point.

Yeah it was the wasteland for me too 2-5 seconds of texture loading/slowdown/stuttering then completely fine again. I'll have to find the SPUF guide and try what Glass Rebel suggested too.

you made a wise choice. there is a bit more customization in the 2nd as apposed to the first. best to think of it as choosing a 'template' instead of a complete 'character. you get to choose the skills, weapons you use, etc. two people can have two VERY different characters.

Enjoy

Megasoum

Banned
Wow, I'm sure I'm LTTP but I just found out about the multiple install directories, this is fucking amazing! About time they added that feature.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
How exactly does it play?
It's a speedrunning game with a farcical fantasy anime RPG theme. There are a couple of different modes:

Hero 30: A demon lord is gonna destroy the world in 30 seconds. Run through monsters (literally) to gain levels and gold, then storm the castle and kill the bastard before time's up. In some levels there are towns where you can buy better equipment or healing items, talk to NPCs and/or pay off the Goddess to get extra time. Some levels have gimmicks like swamps that slow you down, damage tiles or even sidequests.

Princess 30: You're a princess in charge of like thirty guys who carry you around and can shoot in the four cardinal directions. Run out, get PHAT LEWT, then turn around and run back to the castle before 30 seconds is up. Enemies and some obstacles can kill your guys, which is bad because the fewer guys you have the slower you go and the crappier your firepower.

Evil Lord 30: Summon monsters to kill jerks who were mean to your girlfriend in the simplest RTS of all time. The direction you're facing determines the monsters' path. There's kind of a rock-paper-scissors aspect with the monster types and what they're strong against/weak to.

Knight 30: Bad guys are swarming you and a monk; you have to protect her for thirty seconds. You can't actually kill anything IIRC, but you can pick the monk up and put her in more defensible places. You can die an infinite number of times and the monk will resurrect you.

...It's been a long time since I played this game so I'm probably forgetting a few things or getting things wrong, but that's basically the gist of it.

MRORANGE

You have 30 seconds to beat the level, if time runs out you die.
Time does not decrease while you're in towns.
Time can be refilled up to 30 seconds while you're in towns in exchange for cash.

Basically, it's part-RPG part-puzzle game. The puzzle element is figuring out the right balance between pushing forward versus grinding your levels (as you can imagine, grinding doesn't take very long). Push forward too quickly and you'll be underleveled. Grind too much and you won't have enough money to top up your time or enough time to get through the level.

There's probably over 100 missions and many alternate game modes, so even though each level might only add up to 5 minutes, the overall game is pretty substantial.

It's a speedrunning game with a farcical fantasy anime RPG theme. There are a couple of different modes:

Hero 30: A demon lord is gonna destroy the world in 30 seconds. Run through monsters (literally) to gain levels and gold, then storm the castle and kill the bastard before time's up. In some levels there are towns where you can buy better equipment or healing items, talk to NPCs and/or pay off the Goddess to get extra time. Some levels have gimmicks like swamps that slow you down, damage tiles or even sidequests.

Princess 30: You're a princess in charge of like thirty guys who carry you around and can shoot in the four cardinal directions. Run out, get PHAT LEWT, then turn around and run back to the castle before 30 seconds is up. Enemies and some obstacles can kill your guys, which is bad because the fewer guys you have the slower you go and the crappier your firepower.

Evil Lord 30: Summon monsters to kill jerks who were mean to your girlfriend in the simplest RTS of all time. The direction you're facing determines the monsters' path. There's kind of a rock-paper-scissors aspect with the monster types and what they're strong against/weak to.

Knight 30: Bad guys are swarming you and a monk; you have to protect her for thirty seconds. You can't actually kill anything IIRC, but you can pick the monk up and put her in more defensible places. You can die an infinite number of times and the monk will resurrect you.

...It's been a long time since I played this game so I'm probably forgetting a few things or getting things wrong, but that's basically the gist of it.

This game, actually sounds really good.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but in my case it's true. I play way too many fps games every year and even go back to classics every once in a while. Just recently I played through all the PC CoD games up to World at War, again. HL2 is my favourite game of all time.

And I hated Borderlands. Well hate is a strong word but I really didn't like it. Even co-op didn't make the experience much better. I got probably 5-6 hours into it and never really enjoyed any of it.

But I can easily see why most people really like Borderlands and the second game seems to improve literally everything. It's just not a game I like.

Nah, it's my honest opinion after "some" time with it. Someone had a LTTP: Borderlands thread yesterday but I didn't want to shit that one up too much. I have a somewhat similar opinion on BL: I can see why people might like it but as someone who wanted to play an FPS first and a loot game second I found the actual gameplay really mediocre. I thought it'd get better after spending some more time with it or getting better guns. Gave up after 11 hours.

But I redownloaded it and started a new save with Lilith. Who knows, I might like it this time around.

JustinBB7

Audiosurf Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Audiosurf big picture update:
- Adds full gamepad support
- When using a gamepad, automatically launches to a fullscreen window
- The gamepad's right stick can be used to scroll menus
- Use either stick to control your ship. Use both sticks to get off the highway to an edge
- Use triggers or shoulder buttons for character abilities

It begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom