• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

calyx

My Steam is trying to download 20 of my games from scratch. What the hell happened :(
This happened to me as well yesterday. I verified the game cache of each one and they all ended up only needing a few mb update each instead of a complete re-download. No idea what caused it though.

This happened to me as well yesterday. I verified the game cache of each one and they all ended up only needing a few mb update each instead of a complete re-download. No idea what caused it though.
They all prompted to convert to the new saving format. After doing this the size of the DLs went down A LOT for most of them. Strange, they all triggered at once. Steam should convert all games at once though.

Wok

Will FTL be 9$ permanently from dev's site?

Ten dollars soon.

The release of FTL is only a few days away and we wanted to clarify the ways in which you can purchase it:
  • Steam! It will cost $9.99 USD and will get you both Windows and Mac versions. It will have the standard Steam conversions of £6.99 / €9.99 / 249 rubles / $7.99 in CIS territories.
  • GOG.com! It will cost $9.99 USD for every region and will get you a Windows DRM-free build (need to triple check the region issue). You will also receive a few bonus items – 5 songs from the soundtrack, a mini-artbook, some wallpapers & avatars, and maybe more (if i have time).
  • Our Website!! It will cost $9.99 USD for every region and will get you DRM-free builds for Windows, Mac and Linux. You will also receive a Steam key.
Also, for the first week there will be a 10% discount on the game! Yay!

NZNova

damn i'm still waiting on BL2 from GMG. do they usually email you with the code?

They emailed me my code yesterday, but the GMG twitter said they had a load to get through so it was going to take a while to do them all. Check your keys page on the site but yeah they will email it to you sooner or later.

1-D_FTW

I'm done trying to beat the final boss in Trine 2: Goblin Menace. I can't jump for shit when I need to. I'm running at 60fps, but all I'm doing is screaming obscenities at my screen every-time I press jump and I die instead because they ignore my commands.

Absolutely loved it. And the cut scene leading up to the final boss was absolutely amazing in 3D. But this is the third day in a row I've tried to give it a go and I'm just going to end up smashing something at this point.

Final play: got to the final boss stage. Get trapped with a cheap death (where I fall off the ledge somehow). CPU respawns my next character right into the lava. So now I'm down to one character. Gee, thanks! And for my third character I try hitting the respawn bubble at the top of the level, but thanks to my character flat out refusing to jump, he died an awful death:(

EDIT: Plugged in my 360 controller and easily beat it with that. That was easy enough:)

I'm done trying to beat the final boss in Trine 2: Goblin Menace. I can't jump for shit when I need to. I'm running at 60fps, but all I'm doing is screaming obscenities at my screen every-time I press jump and I die instead because they ignore my commands.

Absolutely loved it. And the cut scene leading up to the final boss was absolutely amazing in 3D. But this is the third day in a row I've tried to give it a go and I'm just going to end up smashing something at this point.

Final play: got to the final boss stage. Get trapped with a cheap death (where I fall off the ledge somehow). CPU respawns my next character right into the lava. So now I'm down to one character. Gee, thanks! And for my third character I try hitting the respawn bubble at the top of the level, but thanks to my character flat out refusing to jump, he died an awful death:(

That's a shame. Haven't played Trine 2 yet, but I didn't care for the boss at the end of the first game either. Maybe they're just not good at Boss Fights.

1-D_FTW

That's a shame. Haven't played Trine 2 yet, but I didn't care for the boss at the end of the first game either. Maybe they're just not good at Boss Fights.

I'll admit I don't love bosses, but I just edited my post. For whatever reason I couldn't jump for squat using the keyboard during that boss battle, but I plugged in the 360 controller and it was pretty easy. Died my first try because I didn't know what any of the buttons did. Easily beat it on the second play:)

Just a fantastic game. Hope it does well enough that they continue making this series.

Tomodachi

Funny how Valve games don't seem to follow that standard policy...
Also a few other games have adjusted prices or in rare cases are even cheaper in Europe than in the rest of the world, so I don't really think it's a Steam policy. Not saying the devs are lying, it's just that there's probably more behind it than taxes and stuff.

I'm thinking... maybe you have to have an account as a developer on every regional store to be able to set the price individually for each store? Devs who just have one account on the US store (for example) are forced with the 1$=1€ conversion? Wildest guessing here, don't be mad if I'm speaking crazy stuff :p

I just realized that all the games I buy, I never play, and all the games I get for free....I play the hell out of them.

Time to stop buying games and hoping people give me free keys and stuff.

:/

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The release of FTL is only a few days away and we wanted to clarify the ways in which you can purchase it:
Steam! It will cost $9.99 USD and will get you both Windows and Mac versions. It will have the standard Steam conversions of £6.99 / €9.99 / 249 rubles / $7.99 in CIS territories.
GOG.com! It will cost $9.99 USD for every region and will get you a Windows DRM-free build (need to triple check the region issue). You will also receive a few bonus items – 5 songs from the soundtrack, a mini-artbook, some wallpapers & avatars, and maybe more (if i have time).
Our Website!! It will cost $9.99 USD for every region and will get you DRM-free builds for Windows, Mac and Linux. You will also receive a Steam key.
Also, for the first week there will be a 10% discount on the game! Yay!

Wait, so no steam key for GOG? I guess that is pretty standard but i want the extra stuff.

dani_dc

FTL developers response regarding steam pricing and 1$=1€

"It's Steam's standard policy. Probably to balance out EU's VAT. But it's a flat $9 from our website or GOG."

https://twitter.com/FTLgame/status/246719055095013376

The default conversion might be for a 1$=1€, but I'm pretty sure developers are allowed to define the prices per region as evidenced by many titles (both from bigh companies as well as other smaller developers).
I just take this as the developers either being unaware of this or not wanting to deal with the logistics of figuring the proper price for each region and just using Valve default values.

Varna

Awesome. So you can install games to to different locations now?

Is there any way to shift locations around once you install a game?

Awesome. So you can install games to to different locations now?

Is there any way to shift locations around once you install a game?

Yes you can; I'm wondering about the second part as well but I'm not seeing anything. You may just have to move them to the new directory.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
a7XuV.jpg

Damn Jason, lol

i just bought Deus Ex Missing Link and the game is running super choppy, getting like 17-20 fps with an i5 2500k and a 560GTX

If you can do Direct X 11 turn it on, game runs much better. I got low 20s with Direct X 11 off and 40-60 depending on area with Direct X 11 turned on

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
i was really skeptic about FTL, but after two hours of playing i can say that the game is really good!

its like the board game space alert mixed with rouge like gameplay, more fun then expected

*thumbs up*

Blizzard

Banned
do not buy FTL on Steam

it is much cheaper if you buy from the developer. You get DRM-free version of FTL as well as a Steamkey
http://www.ftlgame.com/
Thanks for this! Just bought it from that site directly. :) I like the multiple payment options.

*edit* Well actual Amazon Payments is just showing the spinning wait icon, so maybe I can't buy it that way...
*edit2* Yay it finally showed up, I just let the webpage sit there for 5-10 minutes.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thanks for this! Just bought it from that site directly. :) I like the multiple payment options.

*edit* Well actual Amazon Payments is just showing the spinning wait icon, so maybe I can't buy it that way...
*edit2* Yay it finally showed up, I just let the webpage sit there for 5-10 minutes.

Maybe it was Much Cheaper before, but it's listed as 9 usd for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe it was Much Cheaper before, but it's listed as 9 usd for me.
That confused me as well, but I think it's cheaper for UK people due to the exchange rate, possibly. And besides, this way I get the DRM-free Windows (possibly Mac and Linux too if they let me go back and download) versions on top of the Steam version.

mr. grape

Snapshot looks really pretty. I hope it plays well. Has anyone picked it up?

WTF is Snapshot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTfwvHTcQQ

I got it for free back when they were giving it away on reddit. I've played a couple hours of it, but I'm waiting until they add a VSYNC option in the settings, too much screen tearing otherwise and forcing VSYNC via CCC breaks my game. If you're gonna buy it, wait a little while until it gets patched.

Nabs

I got it for free back when they were giving it away on reddit. I've played a couple hours of it, but I'm waiting until they add a VSYNC option in the settings, too much screen tearing otherwise and forcing VSYNC via CCC breaks my game. If you're gonna buy it, wait a little while until it gets patched.

I see, it must be OpenGL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom