• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

how much a piece does a torchlight II fourpack come down to? may take two spots (one for a buddy) if someone does one, still not sure.

Never got around playing the first one much but co-op makes it 10x more interesting, then there's the whole diablo 3 burn and all that makes me want this all that much more

I can do Torchlight 2 4-pack and Borderlands 2. I can buy both packs too.

Torchlight 2 4-Pack
  1. CRS
  2. SalsaShark

jediyoshi

Nabs

Only watched the first few minutes, but for more elaboration on the snapshot mechanic outside of dealing with still, square objects

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-snapshot/17-6545/

Haven't watched tb in a bit but I seem to remember him doing a bit more digging into games before doing videos on em

His stuff has felt rushed for a while now. I don't usually worry about his opinions much, I just use his videos to watch extended footage of a game. I wish more devs could put out demos so we could give their games a try before buying.

Thanks for the QL, I'll check it out soon.

Edit: Yeah, Patrick sold me on the game.

I can do Torchlight 2 4-pack and Borderlands 2. I can buy both packs too.

Borderlands 2 4-Pack

It's cheaper to just buy your copy of BL2 from GMG. It's 36 dollars with code GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G (until Monday), and they are sending keys out now.

MNC

Is it actually possible to move Steam games around with the new beta? Or is it just the old fashioned way still?

I wonder how good performance is by using a wireless network HDD...

benjipwns

Banned
Is it actually possible to move Steam games around with the new beta? Or is it just the old fashioned way still?

I wonder how good performance is by using a wireless network HDD...
I don't know about moving games you have installed. But you can move certain ones you're installing to new drives. It seems to be tied to the new format.

JordanKZ

Wait really? Sweet, I still had half a gig left, but I was trying to slow down my screenshot making just in-case lol.

loU35.png

Just some proof! :)

I have been at this for several days and I'm completely lost.

While Steam was applying the most recent update to the Big Picture beta, it crashed, which it also did after I installed the beta.

So I did what anyone would do:

- Restarted
- Rename ClientRegistry.blob
- Start Steam again
- But no, the update keeps crashing, gets stuck and never moves. Had it running for a full 24 hours.

I'm at the end of my rope, so I am now looking at uninstalling steam (unless someone has any ideas).

If I uninstall, is there a way I can keep:

- The game saves
- The mod files (Mainly Skyrim, which I only downloaded from Steam's own Mod Database)
- Not have to re-download games

Will copying the Steamapps folder take care of all the above?

While Steam was applying the most recent update to the Big Picture beta, it crashed, which it also did after I installed the beta.

- Restarted
- Start Steam again
- But no, the update keeps crashing, gets stuck and never moves. Had it running for a full 24 hours.

I'm at the end of my rope, so I am now looking at uninstalling steam (unless someone has any ideas).

- The game saves
- The mod files (Mainly Skyrim, which I only downloaded from Steam's own Mod Database)

Delete everything in your Steam folder except for the Steamapps folder and Steam.exe, then start up Steam again. It'll repopulate all the missing directories and files.

Delete everything in your Steam folder except for the Steamapps folder and Steam.exe, then start up Steam again. It'll repopulate all the missing directories and files.

Is that really ok? A while back when I first got my new PC rig, I remember having problems and chatting with a Steam support guy, who seemed adamant that I do not touch anything BUT the Blob file.

In any case, I'm out of options, so I may just try that.

Meanwhile, I am running the Blob trick one more time, just because. Will report back.

Thanks.

Ledsen

Is that really ok? A while back when I first got my new PC rig, I remember having problems and chatting with a Steam support guy, who seemed adamant that I do not touch anything BUT the Blob file.

In any case, I'm out of options, so I may just try that.

Meanwhile, I am running the Blob trick one more time, just because. Will report back.

Thanks.

You can do that no problem. When you launch Steam.exe it will redownload any missing files.

Burekma

What the hell is this?
tQtJr.jpg

For some bizarre reason Estonia gets lumped up with CIS countries when it comes to 2k and Bethesda games i think, both of which are partnered with 1C Company for distribution in those territories.

It most probably means you'll be getting the region locked version. It is also a possibility you won't be able to play multiplayer with non-russian versions. I advise you to either get it gifted (preferably through 4-pack) or buy it outside of Steam (the game is steamworks).

iNvid02

What the hell is this?
tQtJr.jpg

what a slap in the face, get it from somewhere else.

this type of bullshit is why i'm hesitant about digital distribution, yes its more convenient but they are free to fuck you over with any pricing and restrictions they see fit.

the dd only future doesnt look great if im honest

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm I take it even with Torchlight II preloaded it's still download some files when it goes live, hm?

And oh lawd, I'm suddenly called a Nintendo fanboy. Oh my!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thinking about buying KOTOR2 today. Are there any major issues with windows 7 and the widescreen mod? I read some posts about issues with KOTOR1 crashing on modern hardware although it ran stable for me.

HoosTrax

Critter Crunch trailer is too good, doesn't seem right it's not breaking top 100 sellers

crihcuza.gif
I have it on my wishlist, I'm just kinda waiting on a playable demo. (No I don't have a PS-whatever to play the console demo on)

The thing is irresistibly cute, no lie.

Tomodachi

I beat Braid years ago on my (now defunct) 360, I bought it again on Steam because I think it's one of the best games ever and lately I've seen it sitting there on my library while surfing it on BPM and I felt the urge to play it all over again.
So the problem is, it's full of slow-downs, even in the first, simplest levels. It is a known issue or something? Anyone had the same issue?

Edit: I'm thinking, maybe it's related to BPM itself?

- Restarted
- Start Steam again

- The game saves

Motherfucker....it works :_)

Ok, so here's the deal:

The problem was that Steam suddenly decided that it was running in compatibility mode, even though it was not. Now usually Steam tells you that when you start it up, and closes itself. But in my case, I never got that message since I never got to the startup page (stuck in update).

So after trying with the Blob file for the umpteenth time, I had a hunch this may be the cause and followed a quick guide on how to use the registry edit function within windows to find the file that designated Steam to run in compatibility and delete.

Found it, deleted it, and lookie here…..the update finishes and now I’m back.
Seems Big Picture mode somehow tricked Steam into doing this.
The more you know…

The guide to remove the directory of Steam.exe should it decide to spontaneously run in compatibility mode.

To fix the issue: (via user "Zero Hour' in the Edu Geek forum)

- Hit start->run->regedit

- Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

- Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe

- Delete that entry

- If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Derrick01

Banned
I just noticed you can buy South Park now on GMG. The 25% code they have also works on it and it knocks it down to $37.50. I know it's pretty early to get it but just in case anyone wants to lock it up now. It's a $50 game so I'm sure they'll be able to knock it down to $33-$35 before it comes out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my son (11) wants to play terraria, which seems to be only available through steam. If I buy it on my account, he won't be able to play it on his laptop if I'm also logged in on mine right?

Can I set up an account for him and gift it to him, or is there an age limit on steam accounts? Any other way around this?

we probably wouldn't be playing at the same time, in case we can easily log in/log out of my account on different machines somehow.

MRORANGE

my son (11) wants to play terraria, which seems to be only available through steam. If I buy it on my account, he won't be able to play it on his laptop if I'm also logged in on mine right?

Can I set up an account for him and gift it to him, or is there an age limit on steam accounts? Any other way around this?

we probably wouldn't be playing at the same time, in case we can easily log in/log out of my account on different machines somehow.

Could you not just run one version of your Steam in offline mode for your child while your one will be online? Terraria has no steamworks features so it does not need to be online if I recall.

Just have steam launch into offline mode on your laptop and then you can both play simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom