• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami_sama

SinineSill, did you buy it? If you didn't, just buy it from GMG, 36 euros, and if you can't get someone from UK or the USA to gift it to you.

I've been (re)playing the original Assassin's Creed recently since I only finished ACII and want to catch up to the series. Some thoughts:

- It's kinda ridiculous that this is a 2007 game, it's still pretty. Just goes to show that good art goes a long way
and that PCs are awesome
- The port is, as usual with the AC series, rather good. Only thing that bugs me is that you have to choose your profile first before you can use the 360 controller. Makes BPM a no-no for this.

- I tried this game back in 2007 for the first time and stopped 4-5 assassinations in because I got bored. We'll see whether I manage to finish it this time. I just killed Xzibit and I'm at my third mission now.
- While I still prefer ACII because of the setting and content I retroactively miss the open approach from ACI. I hope Brotherhood, Revelations and especially ACIII bring this back in some manner.
- I can't be the only one who feels that they've been moving way too fast in the time-line. It's already the 18th century in ACIII so unless they go back in time I'll never get my Chinese/Japanese/Russian/Egyptian/Aztek/Mayan assassin :(

Santiako

- I can't be the only one who feels that they've been moving way too fast in the time-line. It's already the 18th century in ACIII so unless they go back in time I'll never get my Chinese/Japanese/Russian/Egyptian/Aztek/Mayan assassin :(

Desmond's story ends with ACIII, so after that they can just put any assassin in any time if they want.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm going see what Origin games I have until Steam patches their client. I've submitted tickets, consulted forums, and still no answer. I haven't been on Steam for a week now, since the patch before BPM.

1-D_FTW

Anyone else wondering if Valve will be adding things like Netflix and Amazon video to the non-game app store? With BPM out, it seems like it would make sense to get those included if they truly want to have a client that is competitive with the consoles. Personally, I'd bet money on this happening. Makes a lot more sense than selling things like Photoshop elements.

Anyone else wondering if Valve will be adding things like Netflix and Amazon video to the non-game app store? With BPM out, it seems like it would make sense to get those included if they truly want to have a client that is competitive with the consoles. Personally, I'd bet money on this happening. Makes a lot more sense than selling things like Photoshop elements.

Would like an Amazon app that will let me stream 1080p movies on the PC. Since you need a 360, PS3, Roku or other devices to do that.

Desmond's story ends with ACIII, so after that they can just put any assassin in any time if they want.

:eek: I had no idea. I just hope they'll jump to the next one and don't make a Connor trilogy.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm going see what Origin games I have until Steam patches their client. I've submitted tickets, consulted forums, and still no answer. I haven't been on Steam for a week now, since the patch before BPM.

It'd be nice to know what your problem is.

DTKT

What is your issue?

Nabs

Just bought this for 27 euros.

Almost twice cheaper as full price in steam.

Thank you based sir.

ib169TamBIyrAH.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

It'd be nice to know what your problem is.

What is your issue?

I searched his most recent posts like a creeper and discovered only this:

The Big Rig said:
Anyone having trouble logging into Steam? After the update, it's having trouble starting up.

Nothing else on the issue, or if he has tried the usual tricks of getting Steam working again.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, I just bought Metro 2033 an hour ago. I could complete my janky, poorly-optimized Russian game collection in just one day...

Rapstah

Man, I just bought Metro 2033 an hour ago. I could complete my janky, poorly-optimized Russian game collection in just one day...

Join me... in a song!

(sings two and a half bars of Russian folk song, stops instantly for no reason)

So, are we getting paid or what? Even the Marx himself couldn't survive on ideal alone.

Quit your yapping!

Prepare for that exchange forty times in the Battlefield chapter.

I searched his most recent posts like a creeper and discovered only this:

Nothing else on the issue, or if he has tried the usual tricks of getting Steam working again.

After the update, I'll try to log into steam, but it just hangs on the connecting window. I've deleted clientregistry.blob and retried it, I've deleted everything but the exe and steamapps, and had the client rebuild everthing, but the problem is the same. It's really pissed me off. I'm thinking of just backing up my 285gb steamapps folder, and uninstalling/reinstalling Steam, but I'd rather not have to do that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
After the update, I'll try to log into steam, but it just hangs on the connecting window. I've deleted clientregistry.blob and retried it, I've deleted everything but the exe and steamapps, and had the client rebuild everthing, but the problem is the same. It's really pissed me off. I'm thinking of just backing up my 285gb steamapps folder, and uninstalling/reinstalling Steam, but I'd rather not have to do that.

The only folder(s) you need to keep is steamapps (edit: and userdata, just in case), so a simple cut/paste out of the main Steam folder and an uninstall/reinstall should cover you. You don't need to use Steam's backup function.

Also, Someone was having a problem connecting to Steam after the update on the last page, so check to see if any of this might help:

I have been at this for several days and I'm completely lost.

While Steam was applying the most recent update to the Big Picture beta, it crashed, which it also did after I installed the beta.

So I did what anyone would do:

- Restarted
- Rename ClientRegistry.blob
- Start Steam again
- But no, the update keeps crashing, gets stuck and never moves. Had it running for a full 24 hours.

I'm at the end of my rope, so I am now looking at uninstalling steam (unless someone has any ideas).

If I uninstall, is there a way I can keep:

- The game saves
- The mod files (Mainly Skyrim, which I only downloaded from Steam's own Mod Database)
- Not have to re-download games

Will copying the Steamapps folder take care of all the above?
Motherfucker....it works :_)

Ok, so here's the deal:

The problem was that Steam suddenly decided that it was running in compatibility mode, even though it was not. Now usually Steam tells you that when you start it up, and closes itself. But in my case, I never got that message since I never got to the startup page (stuck in update).

So after trying with the Blob file for the umpteenth time, I had a hunch this may be the cause and followed a quick guide on how to use the registry edit function within windows to find the file that designated Steam to run in compatibility and delete.

Found it, deleted it, and lookie here…..the update finishes and now I’m back.
Seems Big Picture mode somehow tricked Steam into doing this.
The more you know…

The guide to remove the directory of Steam.exe should it decide to spontaneously run in compatibility mode.

To fix the issue: (via user "Zero Hour' in the Edu Geek forum)

- Hit start->run->regedit

- Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

- Look for a entry with your path to steam.exe

- Delete that entry

- If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I had a fairly stressful week so I feel like doing something nice. I'm about to buy a Torchlight 2 4-pack for me and the next 3 people that PM me. No payment required.

[Update] All taken.

Salsa

Hey my good friends at Ironhide games just put up Kingdom Rush up on greenlight.

Maybe you know the game since it was a top selling app on iOS for quite a while and Ron Gilbert and Felicia Day were raving about it on twitter.

If it passes it would be the first Uruguayan game on Steam, so that's pretty cool.

It's basically a tower defense game but with some twists and a nice art style.

it's good, vote it dudes. They put up a nice video just for this and all.

Greenlight link

Exuro

I can second Kingdom Rush. Amazing TD game. Played both the flash version and the Ipad version. Really top notch stuff. Also like that they made a greenlight specific video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom