• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ode to Killthee
When games are scarce provides guidance through dark times.
When light is needed provides torch to guide the way.
Who is this generous soul?
Killthee, helping brothas out.

Edit: Thanks for Torchlight.

On choosing between Xcom and Borderlands, honestly I expect both to be quite successful on PC, and both will be fairly slow on the bomba sale front. That said, I think that the console version of Xcom is going to sell like mince pies in July, so tightwads will probably queue up there.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ode to Killthee
When games are scarce provides guidance through dark times.
When light is needed provides torch to guide the way.
Who is this generous soul?
Killthee, helping brothas out.

Edit: Thanks for Torchlight.
LOL. No problem man.

MasLegio

Banned
What the hell is this?
tQtJr.jpg

my god that is super insulting and totally insensitive, did Gearbox not know that Russia (Soviet) was an occupying force for over five decades?

Derrick01

Banned
This FTL game even has me interested, seems kind of cool. It's just too bad it released in a time where I'm saving up for Xcom, Hitman and Far Cry 3. Even with GMG gaming is still expensive!

In Civ V, diplomatic relations with A.I. Civ's are entirely dictated by the relative strength of your standing army versus theirs. If your army is stronger, the A.I. is more likely to be friendly and trading/research agreements roughly equal with A.I. Civs that are on par with yours. If the A.I.'s army is larger, they're going to be outright hostile, they won't offer you fair tading/research agreement deals. It doesn't matter if you have a small but more advanced army or have the capacity to produce and/or buy up lots of units in a short amount of time. If the A.I. has more primitive units that stack up to make them have a "stronger" army the A.I. will be an asshole.

RedSwirl

I'm trying to get the Steam shortcut for Ultimate Doom to boot through ZDoom, but no mater what it keeps booting through DOS Box.

I've moved all the ZDoom files into the Steam base folder and edited the .bat files to lead to ZDoom.exe, but the Steam shortcut keeps booting through DOS Box.

DTKT

my god that is super insulting and totally insensitive, did Gearbox not know that Russia (Soviet) was an occupying force for over five decades?

I doubt that Gearbox had anything to do with region locking stuff. More likely the 2K part that is dealing with that kind of stuff.

Echoplx

I'm trying to get the Steam shortcut for Ultimate Doom to boot through ZDoom, but no mater what it keeps booting through DOS Box.

I've moved all the ZDoom files into the Steam base folder and edited the .bat files to lead to ZDoom.exe, but the Steam shortcut keeps booting through DOS Box.

Hmm mine's also screwing up when it used to work fine, they must have changed something recently.

Echoplx

Hmm mine's also screwing up when it used to work fine, they must have changed something recently.

Actually, looks like they completely bypass the .bat files now, pain in the ass but just move the zdoom files into the base file and rename zdoom.exe to dosbox.exe and it works fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BPM is pretty neat, though I eventually had to switch back to the desktop interface because of the occasional silent crashing.

Salsa

Finished Stranger's wrath hd. Clocked 10 hours in two days. Love that game and it's easily the best of these hd remake things I've played.

I think I'm gonna play through vessel before borderlands and torchlight hit

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Friend backed out on four-pack of Torchlight 2, but I bought it anyway. Got an extra copy for $15. Anyone?

Also got four copies of the first game, for whomever. I'm assuming someone out there still doesn't have this.

Hoplatee

Currently going through my Steam FPS backlog and I am playing Metro 2033 right now and just am not feeling it. (Chapter 2, Dead City 1)

Does it get any different / awesome after that point or should I just move on and play the next game on the list? (Rage or Stalker)

I like the atmosphere but the game/gunplay is one of the dullest experience I have had in recent times. It looks amazing though.

Finished Stranger's wrath hd. Clocked 10 hours in two days. Love that game and it's easily the best of these hd remake things I've played.

I think I'm gonna play through vessel before borderlands and torchlight hit

Is that the 'HD update' of the game that already was on Steam (and on PS3 for a while now)? Was waiting for that but forgot about it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So wait, about the Stranger's Wrath issue - they eventually continued where they left off after being "scorned"?

jediyoshi

Is that the 'HD update' of the game that already was on Steam (and on PS3 for a while now)? Was waiting for that but forgot about it.

Yep, it just went out a few days ago.

So wait, about the Stranger's Wrath issue - they eventually continued where they left off after being "scorned"?

They did a straight port of the original and then went to work on redoing assets for the hd version which went out first on ps3, was the plan all along.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Might be relevant to someones interest here too (regarding FTL):

Hey Toma, have you written up a review for this yet? You're usually able to sell me.

As most other people said, its basically a roguelike in space with some light sim aspect. And that roguelike aspect totally has its hooks in me. You start the game with 1 out of 18 ship designs available and try to get as far as you can for the highscore (or even beating the boss, but that will probably take a while), maybe unlocking other ships in the meantime.

One thing this game does incredibly right are its random aspects, beginning with the galaxy map for each sector that is always randomized:
PFiTC.jpg

and much more like random events on every planet, varying approaches you need to take based on what the game offers you in a playthrough and just the perfect amount of variation really. If you are fine with replaying a game for highscore or unlocking other ships (the roguelike aspect), this game has tons of replay value. I also love the achievements which go beyond simple story achievements and actually manage to teach you about other game mechanics. The game has a combat feature called drones which I havent used at all until I tried them for an achievement that would eventually unlock the next ship. Those achievements are my game goals atm, since they encourage me to play the game in different styles which simply doesnt get boring.

The game also has quite a bit of depth, making you decide between:

- invading other ships vs minimizing risks of being invaded
- a wide array of different ship weapons that have different damage types, like: damage ship systems, personel, ship HP, disable systems for a short time, Area of effect damage
- other subsystems that allow you to cloak/hide yourself, use drones that can damage/help your own ships in varying ways, enable you to look into the enemy ship and a bit more

Another unique aspect of the game is the micromanagement of your own crew, which you need to manage on top of all the combat stuff I just listed. Use them to repair your ship,put out fires, heal them, use them to power your own ship systems etcetc.

The star of the show for me are the countless random events and the unlockable ships that actually work as "RPG classes" basically, though. It just feels fresh and rewarding every time I play it. Some people complain that it might be a bit unfair due to its random nature, but I got the impression that you can work with any hand you are dealt with.

Last but not least, the game manages to pack all that into a very, VERY accessible package that is rather easy to learn, especially due to the fact that the game doesnt force all these play approaches onto you, and allows some freedom in deciding how you want to play. Its really smartly designed.

Oh yeah, start the game on easy though. Game is HARD.

So I followed gaf's advice and reinstalled steam. It worked yesterday, but now its back to hanging on the connecting screen. I then tried the regedit fix posted, but apparently I don't have a registry key in either folder to begin with. I'm extremely frustrated by this, especially because I just want to play a single player game.

HoosTrax

Is it really hanging? Or is it actually downloading an update to Steam (if you have a slow connection it'll take a few minutes). The installer just installs some basic stuff, then it starts downloading the most up-to-date stuff.

didamangi

So I followed gaf's advice and reinstalled steam. It worked yesterday, but now its back to hanging on the connecting screen. I then tried the regedit fix posted, but apparently I don't have a registry key in either folder to begin with. I'm extremely frustrated by this, especially because I just want to play a single player game.

Download TCPView, run it when steam hangs on the connection screen.

Search for steam in the tcpview window and then right click > close connections. Steam will try to reconnect it's connection, you can try close connections multiple times if it doesn't work for you the first time.

This is useful for me when steam decided to randomly update and hangs on some percentage every time I run it for the first time when I boot my PC, maybe this will work for you too.

Is it really hanging? Or is it actually downloading an update to Steam (if you have a slow connection it'll take a few minutes). The installer just installs some basic stuff, then it starts downloading the most up-to-date stuff.

It's hanging, I know the difference between the two. I hover the cursor over the box and the spinning ring comes up, which usually means it isn't responding.

Salsa

Uh so apparently there's a bug with the protoplasm thing in vessel and I can get every single upgrade right at the start of the game.

That's.. pretty damn bad. Not sure what to do and I was really liking it a lot :-/

Salsa

Well apparently the bug has been there for months now with no fix.

For those who don't know about the game you basically have to collect different kinds of fluids to use them in other places and there's an accidental 'exploit' that gives you all the liquid you want. It's so easy to do that it's impossible to ignore and it basically breaks the whole game.

What a fucking shame, game really seems fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom