• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was gonna post that and say 'I wonder how long until JaseC buys it,' but wouldn't you know!

sXyvH.jpg

I must, I must, I must... increase my backlog.

PRICE COLLAPSE.

The game was released about 2 months ago.

I hadn't heard of the game until today.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Looks like Bunch of Heroes is having a week-long sale right now.

I hear SteamGAF adores it.

JaseC

I seem to remember the Christmas/Winter achievement for the game being ridiculous. I also seem to remember using a trainer because of just how ridiculous the requirement was.

haikira

This actually looked pretty fun in TB's WTF video.

I think i watched Giant Bomb quicklook for this a while ago, and thought it looked pretty nifty. Think this may be the right price for me. I'll maybe watch the WTF later and then bite on the deal.

JaseC

The game is boss. Buy the shit out of it.

They really captured the feel of a fast paced kung fu flick, which is not something I was expecting from a no name dev house doing a DD only game.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't take one look at the trailers and screenshots only to assume it's horrible.

JaseC

Ahh interesting, so the only true difference between gog and steam for old games is the drm.

Yeah, but the tethering of the Steam client to games is a choice left up to the publisher. That is to say there are a few games on Steam that are completely DRM free (e.g. Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII), but the reason behind using the Steam client as DRM is that it simply makes sense -- after all, it's a perfectly reasonable assumption that Steam users won't mind running Steam in order to play their games. Even Steamworks games aren't required to be tethered to the client, as Bethesda -- temporarily and inadvertently -- proved with Skyrim (though, obviously, there's no Steamworks without the Steam client).

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

ShaneB

There are a few Lego games on sale over at Gamefly, I know a few folks were interested. Lego Batman 2, the Harry Potter ones, etc. 75% off

Abort abort. They don't activate on Steam as clarified by Jesus.

JaseC

Gamefly's checkout page says this:

For Digital Downloads

All downloadable items are delivered digitally via the GameFly desktop application. Your games will become available for download once you've completed your purchase.

But I've seen people post Gamefly specials before. Do Gamefly DD games come with keys?

I know, right?

I'm so low on space I can't even install recent purchases!

JaseC

I took a $5 bullet for the team (as far as Gamefly's checkout system is concerned, Lego HP 1-4 is region-locked, but 5-7 isn't), but apparently I have to wait for Gamefly to process the order. Let's just hope that my use of Google's HQ doesn't set off any red flags. ;)

Edit:
Dear Gamer,

Thanks for your recent order on GameFly! We are hoping to speak with you directly to verify this purchase. We will reach out to you as soon as possible using the email address or phone number located on your account during the following times, Monday –Friday from 8AM CST to 7PM CST and Saturday/Sunday from 8AM CST to 6PM CST.

Oh dear. I assume this is simply because I'm a first-time buyer.

Shantom

If a Gamefly purchase comes with a Steam key the game will have '3rd Party Download Required' on the game page below the system requirements. The Lego games therefore don't register on Steam.

I took a $5 bullet for the team (as far as Gamefly's checkout system is concerned, Lego HP 1-4 is region-locked, but 5-7 isn't), but apparently I have to wait for Gamefly to process the order. Let's just hope that my use of Google's HQ doesn't set off any red flags. ;)

Edit:

Oh dear. I assume this is simply because I'm a first-time buyer.

Yeah, Gamefly this here too.
Also, I'm almost sure that gamefly only gives you keys for Steamworks titles, which the LEGO games are not.

JaseC

Even if I'm out of luck, which I assume I will be, I've spent $5 on worse. Or at least I assume I have.

Edit: I responded to the e-mail, as advised:

Hi,

I'd recommend responding by e-mail, seeing as the phone number I supplied with my registration form is, much like the physical address I supplied, that of Google's CA-based HQ. For what it's worth, this order is completely legit; I just used the first US-based billing adress that came to mind. Call it intuition honed by "fooling" Amazon's DD checkout system. And by "fooling" I mean "utilising a loophole". You are aware of how much Australians pay for games, right?

Cheers,

Jase

Blizzard

Banned
Anna is on sale, and it's apparently a first-person horror game about a sawmill with the stellar Metacritic score of 58/100. I'm not sure if even Joe owns it yet. :p

And thanks for drawing my attention to the kung fu strike game, it actually...doesn't look terrible. Looks like SFIV in big melee situations or something. Mediocre reviews but eh.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Even if I'm out of luck, which I assume I will be, I've spent $5 on worse. Or at least I assume I have.

I'm LOLing (is that even a word?) after reading this, please post the response to that.

Only 1 game that uses GFWL will run for me right now. Batman AC, and I guess thats because it can run without GFWL. What a piece of shit. This is why I will never buy another GFWL game again.

allansm

I bought Quantum Conundrum from Gamefly (first purchase) using a proxy a few weeks ago, I gave the Google HQ address and a non-existing Brazilian phone number and even so my order was approved after a few hours. They do not charge your card until your order is so approved, so I wouldn't worry about losing any money.

Cade

Gonna chime in with one more quick Kung-Fu strike mini-review. I tried the demo one day when I was bored and played it probably 6-10 times fully, then someone gifted me the game a few days later. It's tough as hell, but the systems in place are nice and fluid, and when you get into the swing of things you feel totally badass.

It's got neat style (The menus are complete SFIV ripoffs, though) and the RPG-like elements seem cool. I'd probably give it an 8/10 but I'm not quite done with it yet.

Easily a buy at $2.49.

Joe Molotov

Anna is on sale, and it's apparently a first-person horror game about a sawmill with the stellar Metacritic score of 58/100. I'm not sure if even Joe owns it yet. :p

I take reviews with a grain of salt when it comes to adventure games. It seems like if they have a really slick presentation they'll get a good score but if they don't, then they won't, regardless of content. (Although, I think some would say that goes for every genre.)

Anna has actually been on my radar because it reminds me of Scratches, which was another adventure game that didn't fair too well with the critics. I loved Scratches, I'm not sure if Anna will be that good, but I'll give it a shot at some point.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Except these old games on Steam don't really have any DRM either. The majority can just be dropped in whatever folder you please and played on any PC.

Yeah, but the tethering of the Steam client to games is a choice left up to the publisher. That is to say there are a few games on Steam that are completely DRM free (e.g. Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII), but the reason behind using the Steam client as DRM is that it simply makes sense -- after all, it's a perfectly reasonable assumption that Steam users won't mind running Steam in order to play their games. Even Steamworks games aren't required to be tethered to the client, as Bethesda -- temporarily and inadvertently -- proved with Skyrim (though, obviously, there's no Steamworks without the Steam client).

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

Ahh didn't know you could run some Steam games without Steam running. Nice!

1-D_FTW

I'd like to try a racing sim, and this weekend RACE Injection is 66%off (~10€) on gamersgate. Could anybody give any advice on this game?

Thanks.

It's basically Race 07 and a bunch of expansion packs. You can download a Race 07 demo on Steam (Brands Hatch, which IMO is the best track in 07) if you wanna get a taste. It's hardly a looker, but it's made by Simbin and as such, has very nice physics.

EDIT: You never mentioned if you had a wheel. I have no idea how it plays with a controller. If that's how you plan on playing, I'd especially recommend the demo. Because PC sims aren't like Gran Turismo where lots of effort is put into controller playability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom