• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eideka

Banned
I don't know about Brotherhood but Revelations takes advantage of quad core CPUs :
assassins_creed_revelations_cpu_cores.jpg

http://benchmark3d.com/assassins-creed-revelations-benchmark

1 Core

100%
1 Core OC

100%
2 Cores

~96%
2 Cores OC

~82%
3 Cores

~75%
3 Cores OC

~68%
4 Cores

~59%
4 Cores OC

~53%

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't know about Brotherhood but Revelations takes advantage of quad core CPUs :
assassins_creed_revelations_cpu_cores.jpg

http://benchmark3d.com/assassins-creed-revelations-benchmark

I see your graph but then see the usage at the bottom quote. It seems to use them but not to the fullest basically? I have ACR and it runs great with seldom drops below 60. I imagine it's my 4.8ghz OC that helps but until more games start to support 4 cores efficiently, I think we won't quite see the benefits. I have to research it more but something like Starcraft 2 requires lots of CPU but is not fully optimized for quads. That's a slightly older game that I'm using as an example.

Eideka

Banned
I see your graph but then see the usage at the bottom quote. It seems to use them but not to the fullest basically? I have ACR and it runs great with seldom drops below 60. I imagine it's my 4.8ghz OC that helps but until more games start to support 4 cores efficiently, I think we won't quite see the benefits. I have to research it more but something like Starcraft 2 requires lots of CPU but is not fully optimized for quads. That's a slightly older game that I'm using as an example.

Yep, that's why it's said in the article that the game is not technically cpu bound. Nevertheless I went from a Phenom 955 stock to a I7 3770k and I saw a small yet noticeable performance boost.

1-D_FTW

I don't know what's going on with Black Mesa, but game is giving me some mild motion sickness. It's not major, but it's subtle. And this never happens. Last time something like this happened was with Descent on the PSX. Back when you had 360 degree flight and everything looked identical so you had no orientation.

Tried a couple different settings, but I think I'm done with the game now. Probably about 2/3's through. Was thinking the reason I wasn't playing in long spurts was because deep down, I wasn't enjoying myself that much. But forcing myself into longer play sessions the last two days I've pinpointed why I was instinctively quitting after shorter sessions. They've done something odd with this engine my brain just does not like. And no, I've played pretty much every source game out there (and every Valve game) and it never made me felt all blah like I'd just read a book in the back of a car for 2 hours.

I don't know what's going on with Black Mesa, but game is giving me some mild motion sickness. It's not major, but it's subtle. And this never happens. Last time something like this happened was with Descent on the PSX. Back when you had 360 degree flight and everything looked identical so you had no orientation.

Tried a couple different settings, but I think I'm done with the game now. Probably about 2/3's through. Was thinking the reason I wasn't playing in long spurts was because deep down, I wasn't enjoying myself that much. But forcing myself into longer play sessions the last two days I've pinpointed why I was instinctively quitting after shorter sessions. They've done something odd with this engine my brain just does not like. And no, I've played pretty much every source game out there (and every Valve game) and it never made me felt all blah like I'd just read a book in the back of a car for 2 hours.

I feel this game has very intense motion blur, that I normally don't really notice in games. Have you tried turning that off? Other options would be a different FOV setting or disabling the view bob, but you probably already tried that.

Did you turn off the head sway and raise the field of view?

Also turn off motion blur like the guy above me said. You could also try disabling vsync. Sometimes vsync can cause a very stuttery image when turning.

Lumine

I´m about to start with Alpha Protocol for the first time. Excited to play, heard some good things about it here. Any tweaks, settings, patches or tips before I start? I also remember reading some complaints about the port.

Valve is planning to convert all of the games on Steam to the new content system:

I think you numbers are pretty close. Just counting games (no tools or media), we have converted over 50% of all Steam games now. The plan is to have almost all games converted by the end of the year. There are 2 types of games that can't be easily converted: .GCF games and games using hldsupdatetool for their dedicated servers. The internal project name for the new content system is actually 'Oxcart'. Currently mostly developers benefit from Oxcart, since they can upload, test and publish patches themself. Patch sizes are usually smaller since Oxcart uses delta patching. Users will see more features based on Oxcart soon, like "Steam Library Folders" which allow you to install games on any drive. More download related features will come but we have to wait until the majority of games is switched over. Otherwise the user experience would be inconsistent, with some games offering features that others don't.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32813983#post32813983

They're over 50% done.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nvidia GeForce GT 555m
Intel i7-2670QM

Game will max out my first core but all the others aren't used at all

Laptops tend to be under-powered, especially the mobile graphics cards. What benchmakrs I could find for that card didn't look so hot so that's probably the root of your performance problems.

I´m about to start with Alpha Protocol for the first time. Excited to play, heard some good things about it here. Any tweaks, settings, patches or tips before I start? I also remember reading some complaints about the port.
Play with a controller.

_machine

Go pistols/stealth and use FXAA/SMAA injector. Also, decisions have real consequences. The gameplay takes some time to get used; I quit it at first, but once I got through the first mission I started loving the game.

I remember there's some crazy stuttering that happens when you turn around in the game. You can google for an ini fix for the issue. IIRC it happens because the game loads stuff which is not even visible to you and as a result causes the hitching.

Also, play on easy. The gameplay is pretty shit and the branching story/dialogs are the only real draw of the game. The less you have to deal with the terrible combat and game mechanics, the better your experience will be.

Laptops tend to be under-powered, especially the mobile graphics cards. What benchmakrs I could find for that card didn't look so hot so that's probably the root of your performance problems.

Can run most other games fine though, Brotherhood is the first game I've really noticed problems with. Brotherhood only recommends a 8800, which the 555m is pretty much comparable to/better than it

1-D_FTW

I feel this game has very intense motion blur, that I normally don't really notice in games. Have you tried turning that off? Other options would be a different FOV setting or disabling the view bob, but you probably already tried that.

Did you turn off the head sway and raise the field of view?

Also turn off motion blur like the guy above me said. You could also try disabling vsync. Sometimes vsync can cause a very stuttery image when turning.

Motion blur is about the one thing I haven't tried. Have to give that a try. Thanks for the heads up on that.

And no, I'm not running any v-sync. Although I am playing in 3D, but I've never had any issues with any other game in 3D. So it's really not related to that at heart.

Make sure your drivers are up to date?

Got the latest Nvidia ones installed, just tried messing around with the game a bit managed to get a few more FPS with the game running on my 4th core, as opposed to the first one

jbXgF.png

CPU levels looked like that before I changed the core, only ever seems to use one

Lumine

Go pistols/stealth and use FXAA/SMAA injector. Also, decisions have real consequences. The gameplay takes some time to get used; I quit it at first, but once I got through the first mission I started loving the game.

I remember there's some crazy stuttering that happens when you turn around in the game. You can google for an ini fix for the issue. IIRC it happens because the game loads stuff which is not even visible to you and as a result causes the hitching.

Also, play on easy. The gameplay is pretty shit and the branching story/dialogs are the only real draw of the game. The less you have to deal with the terrible combat and game mechanics, the better your experience will be.

Easy? ...but.. but I never play games on easy! Is it really that bad? That doesn´t inspire much confidence honestly. Anyway thanks for the replies. I´ll go with pistols and stealth and look up that .ini stuff.

1-D_FTW

Weird, it spreads between all 4 of my cores fairly evenly.

I was going to check it out for him, but aside from tying the serial code to my Uplay account, I can't even get the POS to load. First time it hung the computer and I needed Process Explorer to kill it. And now, it crashes to desktop immediately upon starting.

I'm seriously done with Ubi after this. I'm still going to pick up Rayman since it doesn't have DRM, but that's it. I liked their old garbage over uPlay. Uplay is the lowest form of DRM in my book. I feel like the Gym teacher in Seinfeld yelling "Can't Stand Ya!"

EDIT: Probably has to do with UBI not showing me as online. And my W7 network icon having a yellow exclamation warning sign. But that's a common W7 issue that is solved by fuck knows how. It comes and goes. So apparently this doesn't bother anyone but UBi. Pfft.

2nd EDIT: Just restarted windows and the exclamation mark is gone by my network settings. Go to start AC:B. Immediate crash. Restart a second time, it's hung at 27MB allocated to it in process explorer. Piece. Of. Shit.

RedSwirl

For some reason guys I'm now looking at Russian CD Keys for Borderlands 2 ranging from about $25. They say the Russian version is now region-free. Has anyone doe this for other games? Risks? Reliability?

Motion blur is about the one thing I haven't tried. Have to give that a try. Thanks for the heads up on that.

And no, I'm not running any v-sync. Although I am playing in 3D, but I've never had any issues with any other game in 3D. So it's really not related to that at heart.

I dont know if it's the same for anybody else, but I had to disable head sway in the Black Mesa options tab every time I restarted the game. Make sure it's disabled.

1-D_FTW

5th time's the charm. Got AssCreed: Bro to finally launch.

At 1080P and all the graphic settings on max (+120hz 3D), when my overclocked 660ti was peaking at 98 percent utilization, my i3 2120 maxed out at 60.32 percent.

Ugh, so annoying. Wolfenstein 2009 has English voice-overs but all the menus/text are in German for me. Playing with the config file or using the command line doesn't do shit for me either, maybe I need to change the location in Control Panel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom