• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazoo

I'm pretty happy that I managed to snag NWN2 on its last sale before removal. Definitely helps to just take the plunge even if you're not going to be playing it for a while sometimes.

I missed for a few days.

It is still available on impulse but I will double dip on a Gog release.

wazoo

Prey is probably the strangest case, because it's no longer sold via DD anywhere, but 2K still occasionally prints retail copies (Edit: for budget labels rather than its own)

I bought it at retail too last month. But I hate the old "- install from DVD - remove not working old DRM - patch it manually" and so on. I do not care about Origin vs Steam but I am all for Digital releases without DRM or with at most account based DRM.

I bought it at retail too last month. But I hate the old "- install from DVD - remove not working old DRM - patch it manually" and so on. I do not care about Origin vs Steam but I am all for Digital releases without DRM or with at most account based DRM.

Uh, didn't your copy include a steam key?

No, Prey came with an old DRM. Maybe new reprints are coming with steam keys.
You can activate your Prey retail cd-key on steam. I didn't notice any DRM in Prey, I installed it once, finished, activated the key on steam to add it to my library and never installed it again...

wazoo

Uh, didn't your copy include a steam key?

THat also why I stopped buying games at retail too, even steamworks games.

You buy a game, then you pay sometimes for shipping cost for the box, then you open it and you get a steam key with a useless DVD and you payd for the shipping costs. After a few stories like that I went all for the digital download road.

wazoo

You can activate your Prey retail cd-key on steam. I didn't notice any DRM in Prey, I installed it once, finished, activated the key on steam to add it to my library and never installed it again...

I will try.

EDIT : except it is not available on the PAL store ..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Oooooooh wow O_O

Hahahahahaha!

Oh god...

I think I need... to breath...

On the bright side we can be Steam hipsters.

"Oh this old thing? I'm just playing Left 4 Dead on Steam, you've probably never heard of it."

Then again would that mean we're apple people?

Yes, you are right. There are only 50 millions Steam users and it increases constantly. Probably by christmas, they will have passed the ps3 userbase for comparison and even the NES.

Still not for a common man though. And mind you it also accounts duplicates and unused accounts.

ngt

Just wait for them to go on sale. I got mine for £1 or something. But if you do want to get it now, feel free to PM me.

1-D_FTW

:lol

I could have certainly accepted Commie Grey as a correct answer, but Dude Bros grey? Bzz. Sorry. Unless I've been morphed to Bizzaro world where grey is suddenly cool.

I'm glad I got Wolfenstein 09 and Prey but fuck whoever removed NWN2 and Outrun :(

I'm sure Outrun had to do with the Ferrari license expiring. At least the were kind enough to have a "Fuck You" sale and put it on sale for 2.00 dollars just before it had to get pulled.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
9 times out of 10 a game is removed because of the loss of rights. Ghostbusters, NWN2, and Wolf 2009 were all clearly taken down for this reason.

Boss Doggie

Whoa, NWN2 was removed in Steam? *checks*

Oh shit you're right! Glad I managed to snag Platinum before it went kaput.

Though when you refer to GB you mean the new game and not the Slime one yes?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
9 times out of 10 a game is removed because of the loss of rights. Ghostbusters, NWN2, and Wolf 2009 were all clearly taken down for this reason.

Atari is still publishing Ghostbusters '09 outside of Steam. In fact it's half off over at GamersGate right now.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Still not for a common man though. And mind you it also accounts duplicates and unused accounts.

Actually it doesn't. ~50m is the active user base (an account with a purchased game/DLC and has logged in the past month). Valve explicitly says active accounts when doing PR releases.

Granted I know some people who have dozens accounts for TF2 smurfing purposes so the numbers are slightly skewed, but probably not in any significant fashion.

1-D_FTW

No it doesn't.

I don't know why you keep thinking this.

Edit: Beaten.

Probably because he's used to PR being complete fabrications. Have to commend Valve for taking an honest approach with these things, though.

Actually it doesn't. ~50m is the active user base (an account with a purchased game/DLC and has logged in the past month). Valve explicitly says active accounts when doing PR releases.

Granted I know some people who have dozens accounts for TF2 smurfing purposes so the numbers are slightly skewed, but probably not in any significant fashion.

But you'd have to be logged into TF2, correct? If so, the TF2 game numbers aren't very high and certainly don't account for those numbers. Not even to a small degree.

wazoo

Multiple accounts is an hardcore action. I bet it is not what most of almost all people do. Even more considering that the active userbase is for the last months, you have to discount anyone having multiple accouts but only touching one in the last few months.

Interfectum

ix7jtkZpnInUr_zps2eaceff5.gif

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Man, I know we've laughed this post off already but I feel COMPELLED to say something about how misguided dock is. Is Steam's presentation "masculine"? Sure. But so is every sports anything ever, and that sure doesn't stop millions of women from being fans. Dark colors, squared-off shapes or an overall "masculine look" aren't what put me off about venturing into male-dominated spaces like comic shops, conventions and "hardcore" (ugh) gaming. It's the creepy assholes therein creating an atmosphere of hostility, or even danger.

But you literally do not ever have to interact with another person in order to use Steam, so there's nothing to be put off by. Unless you're unused to navigating complex interfaces on a computer. Now that would be something to be concerned about as a developer, because Steam's complexity and the level of technical skill required to use it are barriers to mainstream adoption.

...But frankly, I don't think it's possible to drop the barrier to entry that low without creating a closed system. (It'll be interesting to see how Win8 turns out.)

Boss Doggie

No it doesn't.

I don't know why you keep thinking this.

Edit: Beaten.

Hmm all right, I always thought they never provide sources :p

But still, I really don't expect the common lowest denominator to know steam. It's just that gut feeling. And sometimes it's for the best.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Prey is probably the strangest case, because it's no longer sold via DD anywhere, but 2K still occasionally prints retail copies (Edit: for budget labels rather than its own), at least in the UK.
Actually it is. I bought it last month from Gamersgate, and they sent me a key which could be redeemed on Steam, and a downloader for the game (I guess it's for the DMR-free version, but I only cared about getting it on Steam). For 5 euros it's not expensive at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Actually it is. I bought it last month from Gamersgate, and they sent me a key which could be redeemed on Steam, and a downloader for the game (I guess it's for the DMR-free version, but I only cared about getting it on Steam). For 5 euros it's not expensive at all.

Oh, nice, and rather interesting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
While it sucks that NWN2 was pulled as it's a great game, if that means that Atari has *finally* lost the D&D license then we can all be super happy.

Such a great license wasted on such a crap publisher.

I can't find Prey on GG, seems like they removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom