• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's strange, I bought it last month without a single problem. Can't check the site from work, but have you tried choosing another country?

I don't think you can change regions on GG, but I checked the .co.uk and the .com versions, and neither has it available. I guess they ran out of keys as well recently.

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm all right, I always thought they never provide sources :p
Well unless I'm completely clueless and there is some counter available somewhere, Valve's source for how many active accounts exist is Valve -- it's not like anyone else would know. So if you wanted, you could say that there could actually only be 20 million accounts and Valve is lying/mistaken since I don't think anyone can really prove them right or wrong. Depends how much of a conspiracy theory you want to make. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you can change regions on GG, but I checked the .co.uk and the .com versions, and neither has it available. I guess they ran out of keys as well recently.
If I'm not mistaken, there should be a flag selector in the upper right corner of the site, isn't it? Anyway, I'll check it when I get home.

And IIRC, when I bought the game from them I got 2 keys: one "activation" key (supposedly only for the single player stuff, but it doesn't matter because the MP is dead) and one "multiplayer" key, which contains both SP and MP. I only used the latter, but read in the Steam forums that both keys work. So if anyone here wants it, I could check if I still have the former and gift it to some lucky GAFfer tonight. I can't guarantee it'll work, but I'm almost certain it should.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I'm not mistaken, there should be a flag selector in the upper right corner of the site, isn't it? Anyway, I'll check it when I get home.

And IIRC, when I bought the game from them I got 2 keys: one "activation" key (supposedly only for the single player stuff, but it doesn't matter because the MP is dead) and one "multiplayer" key, which contains both SP and MP. I only used the latter, but read in the Steam forums that both keys work. So if anyone here wants it, I could check if I still have the former and gift it to some lucky GAFfer tonight. I can't guarantee it'll work, but I'm almost certain it should.

I'd recommend that you offer it to DopeyFish, but apparently he'd like to buy the game, so that would be doing him a disservice. :p

Gvaz

Banned
It's the creepy assholes therein creating an atmosphere of hostility, or even danger.

Maybe because I consider myself normal but while I understand you, I don't understand this line of thought that there is a persistent fear of simply "being a woman".

It kind of goes with the territory, if you visit a boy's only school as a girl or vice versa, you are going to be the focus of everyone. Now some guys are shit and will treat the person like shit but, not all "nerds" are like that. I know for a fact I don't jump into someone's bubble and be all touchy feely unless they're okay with that (as I am a very touchy feely person). I also don't go like "HEY SUP LEMME SEE YOUR PANTIES" or whatever the fuck constitutes creepy other than a "hey how's it going? I see you're looking at X, I like that too!" (of which I have very very rarely gotten a poor reaction to, though usually that's from crazy girls. Bitches be crazy)

But I digress, I guess I just don't understand this prevalent feeling of "need to be on my guard or else some asshole will try and molest/harass me" some girls have.

Xanathus

Did Steam community just go down? I got kicked out of a Borderlands 2 online game, Steam network connection is failing and the website is giving an error message.

Joe Molotov

I'd like it if Valve were a little more transparent about games being removed from Steam. Sometimes it's obvious, such as EA wanting to have its cake and eat it too as far as DLC is concerned, and Wolf09 disappearing when Acti's publishing rights expired, but in cases such as Second Sight, where the game disappears even though it's still being actively sold by its current (and original, no less) publisher elsewhere, it's just strange.

Edit: Another strange example is the 2009 Ghostbusters game. I picked it up during last year's Halloween sale, IIRC, but it was removed earlier this year and is still sold outside of Steam (e.g. it's currently half off over at GamersGate).

This is why you buy everything on Steam as quick as you can.

Every. Thing.

Oops, my mistake. I just found out that the site from which I bought Prey is called Gamesplanet, not Gamersgate. The buy button is working there, so you could try getting it from there. I'm checking right now if I still have my spare key.

Here's a link (hope it's not considered spam, if it is, I'll gladly remove it): http://es.gamesplanet.com/comprar-descargar-juegos-pc/Prey-217-38.html

EDIT: yes, I have it. Do you want it, Dopey?

So if I buy from there I potentially get 2 copies?
EDIT: Goddamn SPUF is down so I can't research this. :/

stuminus3

Re: Prey. I was annoyed to discover that only retail keys registered on Steam, not keys from other DD services. Even more annoyed because I bought it over at Direct2Drive, who no longer have it available for download since Gamefly took over. I can still see my key in my Gamefly purchase history, I just can't do anything with it unless I pirate the game from somewhere. Pure bullshit, I don't know how Gamefly got away with how so many games went missing from D2D.

Xanathus

Obviously this is Lord Gaben punishing us for the sins of that German Consumer Association daring to question His commandments.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So if I buy from there I potentially get 2 copies?
In theory, yes. Bear in mind that I haven't tried my second key, but from what I read over in the SPUF, both should work. And as the multiplayer is all but dead, the 2 are virtually the same.

Remember that I still have my "activation" key which should redeem on Steam, should I still wait for DopeyFish to respond or give it away now?

Re: Prey. I was annoyed to discover that only retail keys registered on Steam, not keys from other DD services. Even more annoyed because I bought it over at Direct2Drive, who no longer have it available for download since Gamefly took over. I can still see my key in my Gamefly purchase history, I just can't do anything with it unless I pirate the game from somewhere. Pure bullshit, I don't know how Gamefly got away with how so many games went missing from D2D.
If you read my previous post, you'll find a link to the game's page in Gamesplanet. I got it from there and it worked perfectly on Steam.

In theory, yes. Bear in mind that I haven't tried my second key, but from what I read over in the SPUF, both should work. And as the multiplayer is all but dead, the 2 are virtually the same.

Remember that I still have my "activation" key which should redeem on Steam, should I still wait for DopeyFish to respond or give it away now?

I'd try the key for you. Just to see if it works. :)
EDIT: Well it probably won't because Steam is down, but you know what I mean.

I don't even have Steam running. If it wasn't for this thread, wouldn't even know it was down. I'm gonna launch Origin Valve. Don't make me do it. Don't!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the graph show an absolute flat-line like that. It's always a little jagged because somehow people manage to stay online but they're out cold right now. Must be pretty serious!

red731

So is it down? Because I invited people to Borderlands 2 for the first time and went offline, not noticing anything in the five minutes.

Then restarted Steam, Pc, cheched AV...

ed: oh it is. thank god it wasn't on my side :lol

Interfectum

gaben.jpg

Interfectum

Steam Support ‏@Steam_Support
Steam servers are currently undergoing routine maintenance and will be back soon!

^^ They got too many people on this service now to not post a warning beforehand.

Sykotik

Apart from this outage, have any of you experienced relatively frequent disconnects from the steam friend server? It happens to me almost every day at this point.

I think I'm playing Dungeon Siege 3 wrong. I feel that I'm vastly underpowered but didn't have a problem until [post-Foundry spoiler]
the automatons attacked the city

I really need to buy a second 360 controller to play it in co-op. The combat just isn't that fun solo.

mr. grape

I think I'm playing Dungeon Siege 3 wrong. I feel that I'm vastly underpowered but didn't have a problem until [post-Foundry spoiler]
the automatons attacked the city

I really need to buy a second 360 controller to play it in co-op. The combat just isn't that fun solo.

You're playing it solo? Then yeah, that may explain why you're having problems. The game is meant to be played in co-op, I'd imagine it would be pretty boring in singleplayer. It's a breeze in co-op, until you start playing on hardcore lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom