• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

might as well do this here too:

guys

23 inch @ 1080p vs 27 inch @ 1080p (might be too small a res for that big a display) monitors. Both 120hz

go

Think I can only justify getting Castle Crashers OR Hell Yeah! for now

leaning towards CC since i'll have my buddy around for co-op.

Then again we dont know how much Castle Crashers is gonna be. Could end up being cheaper since its such an old game by this point
I don't know anything about Hell Yeah! but for what it's worth CC did absolutely nothing for me. I should say that I generally don't enjoy beat 'em ups with leveling and upgradeable stats because it ends up making it feel shallow.

Though beyond that, combat was just never really fun for a couple reasons. I could never get a feel for when I killed an enemy, so I'd sometimes stop juggling them to see if they'd flicker away only for them to get up again and I'd juggle them again; you never get an indication of when you've actually killed them in your combo so you could just be juggling a corpse for a while and not realize it. Another thing is the actual range of combat seemed super narrow, you had to be just right with your sprite alignment with the enemy for your attacks to register.

guys

23 inch @ 1080p vs 27 inch @ 1080p (might be too small a res for that big a display) monitors. Both 120hz

go
I gotta ask what the exact monitors are because there's more you should be considering than just size, but I prefer the 23/24 inch range for a 1080p monitor.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

guys

go

Yeah, I'd say the pixel density would be too low, and that's not ideal for a PC monitor. 24" is the sweet spot for 1920x1080/1920x1200, but 23" is fine, too.

Salsa

I gotta ask what the exact monitors are because there's more you should be considering than just size, but I prefer the 23/24 inch range for a 1080p monitor.

S23A700D

13138726831300247.jpeg

27A950

samsung_t27a950_02.jpg

both 120hz, both TN panels, both glossy, both AMD 3D wich I wont use

guys

go

I feel my 21'' is a little bit too small and 23'' would feel just right. I can't imagine sitting in front of a 27'' all day..

Salsa

I feel my 21'' is a little bit too small and 23'' would feel just right. I can't imagine sitting in front of a 27'' all day..

im doing it now, although 26 inch.

and it's even a 720p display (HDTV). Doing lots of gaming in big picture being far away from it.

but yeah, need to upgrade

im doing it now, although 26 inch.

and it's even a 720p display (HDTV). Doing lots of gaming in big picture being far away from it.

but yeah, need to upgrade

I have a 32'' TV on my desk right next to my 21'' monitor that I use for some games, but for general PC use and games I play with KB/M I don't like sitting right in front of it and prefer a smaller screen. I would definitely go for the 23''.

Salsa

I tried one. It's sturdy and it actually looks slick as hell since it's really thin from having every connector and such in the base.

The drawback is that you cant really adjust much of it. Only tilt it upwards a bit.

The 700D is one of the better 120hz monitors out there AFAIK, so I don't think you can go wrong with it. I might even consider getting one myself when I make the jump to 120hz, though I've been contemplating the Benq XL2420T as well for the minuscule input lag decrease, but I hear the colours are bad on it and it ghosts.

Salsa

Im thinking this:

get the 23 inch one. Hook up both that one and my 26 inch HDTV to the card, but have the 26 inch in it's TV stand, thus sacrificing the dual monitor setup wich im using now (with a little 19 inch on the side) and moving towards just using the new 1080p 23 inch one for desk/browsing/kbm gaming while changing the display to the 26 one in it's stand for far away controller/multiplayer games.

losing multimon setup kinda fucking sucks but I blame Nvidia's lack of more ports. Cant justify losing the 26 inch 720p display for offline couch co-op and movies. It's nice.

Admittedly, it's not really shitty, it's just that the bezel is too wide and the 5ms hurt a bit (even if they're just in my head). Otherwise it's a great display and I'm thinking about buying and hooking up a 360 unless Bayo and/or Vanquish arrive on Steam.

JordanKZ

guys

go

It's more important to get a matte IPS display than it is get one of a huge size. Concentrate on the panel quality.

Ledsen

Im thinking this:

get the 23 inch one. Hook up both that one and my 26 inch HDTV to the card, but have the 26 inch in it's TV stand, thus sacrificing the dual monitor setup wich im using now (with a little 19 inch on the side) and moving towards just using the new 1080p 23 inch one for desk/browsing/kbm gaming while changing the display to the 26 one in it's stand for far away controller/multiplayer games.

losing multimon setup kinda fucking sucks but I blame Nvidia's lack of more ports. Cant justify losing the 26 inch 720p display for offline couch co-op and movies. It's nice.

OR just get a 46-50" TV and use that for everything!

benjipwns

Banned
I'm still rocking my shitty 23' SyncMaster from 2009. I could do with a new one. Eventually.
I have a SyncMaster from then, it died with like 10 days left in the warranty (in spectacular fashion where it would strobe the image for a few minutes before stopping and going dark), and they fixed it (even gave me a stand to replace the impossible to remove ones from that era) so now I want to see how long it lasts.

I have multiple monitors anyway, but I like the color on it.

haha yeah, fuck those stands

we've moved last week and I didn't even bother removing it, just gave it to my brother to hold in the backseat of the car

Edit: I just bought Jet Set Radio for 6.40€ from GMG. I hope it's a good port.

benjipwns

Banned
They tell you to "lock it in" and then they don't tell you you're never getting it out. The directions are even kinda vague like, "yeah we know this isn't going well, try and rock it...but...you know..."

Managed to find a box to fit it, with the stand on, at Wal-Mart though.
Edit: I just bought Jet Set Radio for 6.40€ from GMG. I hope it's a good port.
Pretty solid from what I could tell.

catabarez

So gfwl is being really slow whenever it needs to sign me in. What do I need to do when uninstalling this to ensure I don't have to reenter any keys?

MRORANGE

So gfwl is being really slow whenever it needs to sign me in. What do I need to do when uninstalling this to ensure I don't have to reenter any keys?

The keys should be attached to your account, when you login into gfwl in the game it should authenticate you.

1-D_FTW

Im thinking this:

The 23 inch one definitely doesn't have D-DVI. That much I do remember from my past research. So if your GPU doesn't have display port, your SoL with 120hz until you upgrade.

R1CHO

Think I can only justify getting Castle Crashers OR Hell Yeah! for now

leaning towards CC since i'll have my buddy around for co-op.

Then again we dont know how much Castle Crashers is gonna be. Could end up being cheaper since its such an old game by this point

14.95$

When I had to reformat my computer only a few keys were tied to my account so I wouldn't have to enter it again. Should I back up my profile?
Newer games use SSA so the keys are tied to your profile. The older GFWL games use a different form of DRM which allows you to use the keys 15 times or thereabouts on separate profiles. Those are the ones you may need to re-enter. Backing up your profile isn't necessary, it will remain regardless of whether you erase GFWL. It's also stored on Microsoft's servers, so you can easily recover it, even if you did completely erase it from your computer.

iNvid02

honestly I dont have a lot of options here. Not a huge fan of a glossy TN panel but it should be fine.

i have the s27a950d and its been perfect (switched from a 30" dell ips), unless you will be sitting extremely close to the screen 1080p is fine for the size. the design is unusual for sure but once its on your desk it doesnt matter. the tn panel quality is surprisingly good, i positioned it in the centre and have had 0 issues with colour/viewing angles. if your card can handle it, 120hz for games is just something else, incredibly smooth. havent touched the 3d mode because it uses samsungs own 3d tech instead of nvidia 3d vision so if you're into 3d this is the wrong choice.

here is the review that finally pushed me to buy it

Sanjay

Most competitive games aren't graphically intensive.

My comment was more aimed at SalsaShark as hes not really into competitive games going off his Steam profile.

But I would like to mention that the new competitive games that are around may not be graphically intensive but sure as hell can't get to lock 120phs due to shitty support from drivers or low GPU usage unless their based off old tech.

thats why i have this guy

288735-nvidia-geforce-gtx-690.jpg

Sure for older games but for the cream of the crop like Sleeping Dogs/Skyrim/Borderlands 2/Witcher 2/Crysis 2 etc at 120fps, no chance.

Now that card is awesome for 60fps lock for them games :D

Like really the PS4 is where the future is for 120fps gaming, they got close with the ps3 but were 100 fps off.

iNvid02

actually its surprising what the card can do

at 1080p with everything maxed, bar maybe one or two things it can sustain 120fps in skyrim enb, sleeping dogs and possibly borderlands 2 (too early to tell yet). its only the odd few games like crysis/witcher that cant get 120 (although it comes close), even then it does 60 locked.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. There are very few games where you can't get 120fps (or close) with that card.

And even for regular web browsing, once you get used to 120fps, going back to 60hz makes you think your mouse has gone defective since it's so herky jerky compared to what you're used to.

Sure for older games but for the cream of the crop like Sleeping Dogs/Skyrim/Borderlands 2/Witcher 2/Crysis 2 etc at 120fps, no chance.

Now that card is awesome for 60fps lock for them games :D

Like really the PS4 is where the future is for 120fps gaming, they got close with the ps3 but were 100 fps off.

rofl

Nabs

Yeah. There are very few games where you can't get 120fps (or close) with that card.

And even for regular web browsing, once you get used to 120fps, going back to 60hz makes you think your mouse has gone defective since it's so herky jerky compared to what you're used to.

Sanjay doesn't need to hear this. Oh god.

Shheeeiiiiittt.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I tried one. It's sturdy and it actually looks slick as hell since it's really thin from having every connector and such in the base.

The drawback is that you cant really adjust much of it. Only tilt it upwards a bit.

Thought as much, it looks stylish (for others at least) but it feels functionally off... which has sadly become the direction of tech nowadays.

1-D_FTW

Thought as much, it looks stylish (for others at least) but it feels functionally off... which has sadly become the direction of tech nowadays.

Generally, but it's not really a fair complaint for most displays. Samsung is the only company doing this. With everyone else, even if you don't like the stand, they include standard VESA mounts so you can customize to your personal preference. Samsung is the only display maker I'm aware of that doesn't include VESA mounts on their monitors.

EDIT: The Sony PS3 3D TV didn't have this either. But that was just hot trash. And not considered a monitor either.

vazel

Banned
Samsung stands are the worst. I'm having to rest my S23A700 on a pile of books because the stand sits way too low.

Aside from that I'm happy with my monitor. Motion resolution is great and I get to watch 3D movies. There is TN color shift on vertical angles but I rarely notice it.

One word of warning if you're a hardcore FPS or fighting game player. Samsung monitors have higher input lag than the other TN monitors from Asus, etc.

60hz on a 120Hz monitor doesn't look like proper 60Hz. It's more jerky than it should be. It's probably due to the way these monitors are optimized for high refresh rates. Anything below 100Hz on my monitor seems jerky.

Exuro

I was going to ask, does the mouse stop "multiplying" when you move it around quickly with a 120hz monitor?

Sanjay

Except Dark Souls!

It's more about having it locked at 120 then just reaching it. Sustaining is way hard then just reaching it.

actually its surprising what the card can do

at 1080p with everything maxed, bar maybe one or two things it can sustain 120fps in skyrim enb, sleeping dogs and possibly borderlands 2 (too early to tell yet). its only the odd few games like crysis/witcher that cant get 120 (although it comes close), even then it does 60 locked.

Yeah you could tweak Skyrim with ENB to get 120fps.

But for Sleeping dogs no way and with Borderlands 2 like you said still kind of early to tell, hopefully patches and driver updates will improve but I still think your going to get the 100/120's hovering fps.

Source:-

Sleeping Dogs
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4390418&postcount=8

Borderlands 2
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2271996

What people do is rack up that AA to crazy levels and down-sample and keep a 60fps lock as it would be a smoother gaming experience then it going up and down trying to keep it at lock 120fps.

Sanjay doesn't need to hear this. Oh god.

I won't believe this Nvidia propaganda, 120fps gaming is a urban legend with the way its meant to be played of course, maximum settings.

But it wouldn't hurt to know where iNvid02 lives of course, you get me do some transatlantic heist, you can be the dead guy I leave behind to make sure he knows he was robed by me as its better to leave a dead body behind then any type of note.

1-D_FTW

60hz on a 120Hz monitor doesn't look like proper 60Hz. It's more jerky than it should be. It's probably due to the way these monitors are optimized for high refresh rates. Anything below 100Hz on my monitor seems more jerky and blurrier than it should be.

I know there are some people who claim it looks like 20fps, but I've never had this issue. Then again, I purposely don't run fraps. I don't wanna know what a framerate is. If it's smooth to my eyes, I don't need to go looking for problems. This has been my stance since ever.

Now granted, a game that has a ton of GPU latency can be running at a high FPS and look awful, but that's true even on a 60hz screen. Thankfully, all of the new cards (from both companies) have seem major improvements based on TechReport reviews.

I was going to ask, does the mouse stop "multiplying" when you move it around quickly with a 120hz monitor?

If you mean "when you move your mouse in a circle, are there multiple cursors?" Yes. Twice as many. So no. It doesn't stop it. It makes it even more pronounced. If that's what you're talking about.

Except Dark Souls!

It's more about having it locked at 120 then just reaching it. Sustaining is way hard then just reaching it.

Yeah you could tweak Skyrim with ENB to get 120fps.

But for Sleeping dogs no way and with Borderlands 2 like you said still kind of early to tell, hopefully patches and driver updates will improve but I still think your going to get the 100/120's hovering fps.

Source:-

Sleeping Dogs
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4390418&postcount=8

Borderlands 2
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2271996

What people do is rack up that AA to crazy levels and down-sample and keep a 60fps lock as it would be a smoother gaming experience then it going up and down trying to keep it at lock 120fps.

I won't believe this Nvidia propaganda, 120fps gaming is a urban legend with the way its meant to be played of course, maximum settings.

But it wouldn't hurt to know where iNvid02 lives of course, you get me do some transatlantic heist, you can be the dead guy I leave behind to make sure he knows he was robed by me as its better to leave a dead body behind then any type of note.

Don't know what to say, other than Wow.

So I guess you've been on the LCD train since day one. I've thought they were crap from day one. And held onto CRT until mine croaked and new CRTs weren't available. If you valued the silky motion of CRT and hated LCD's inferior motion, 120hz is for you. Clearly you don't belong to this group, but for motion lovers, 120hz is no myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom