• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

vazel

Banned
I know there are some people who claim it looks like 20fps, but I've never had this issue. Then again, I purposely don't run fraps. I don't wanna know what a framerate is. If it's smooth to my eyes, I don't need to go looking for problems. This has been my stance since ever.

Now granted, a game that has a ton of GPU latency can be running at a high FPS and look awful, but that's true even on a 60hz screen. Thankfully, all of the new cards (from both companies) have seem major improvements based on TechReport reviews.
I was responding to your mouse jerkyness comment. I get that jerkyness too when I set my monitor to 60Hz. This is not normal for 60Hz which means these monitors aren't handling 60Hz properly.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sanjay going HAM in this thread:

iMFvwdDa7dinr.gif

Sanjay

So I guess you've been on the LCD train since day one. I've thought they were crap from day one. And held onto CRT until mine croaked and new CRTs weren't available. If you valued the silky motion of CRT and hated LCD's inferior motion, 120hz is for you. Clearly you don't belong to this group, but for motion lovers, 120hz is no myth.

I said 120hz maximum gaming not the technology for monitors to reach 120hz.

I'm not disputing, 120hz is sex on fire but to actually game with shit maxed is a mere fantasy among folk like us and maybe there's that 1% that can do it but that's a minority like PSVita gamers and see how the world looks at them? Just trying to let people know whats really up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Since I got yet anther set of Alien Breed 2 & 3 (Why is 1 never in these bundles?), quote the post to see some keys.

Alien Breed 2
Alien Breed 3

1-D_FTW

I said 120hz maximum gaming not the technology for monitors to reach 120hz.

I'm not disputing, 120hz is sex on fire but to actually game with shit maxed is a mere fantasy among folk like us and maybe there's that 1% that can do it but that's a minority like PSVita gamers and see how the world looks at them? Just trying to let people know whats really up.

*shrugs shoulders* Not even sure what point I'm arguing anymore in this.

Never been fixated on the *MAX* bit. With the latest cards, there really are only a small handful of games that can't do 120hz at 1080P (especially if you're willing to turn down a superficial setting here or there). Nor do I care if I'm dipping a bit.

I also think people who spend 500 dollars on GPUs are a little crazy, yet thankfully it's not a requirement here. I know I'd never do it.

So not only do you get blazing smooth motion, but you also drop your input lag in half (since for triple buffering v-sync each frame of lag now only accounts for 8ms instead of 16ms). It's win all around.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Today's Daily is 75% off the Syberia games ($3.74 for the bundle).

I've been playing some more Binary Domain.

I don't care what anyone says, this is better than the Gears Trilogy. Fucking Big Bo :lol

I've been meaning to play through BD now that I can use an X360 controller with my PC. The kb&m controls are awful.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Castle Crashers is how much? And it doesn't even include the DLC? What the shit!?

$15 I could understand if the game were being published by Microsoft (the XBLA version launched at 1200 Space Bucks, which is $12.50), but the fact that it's both four years old and self-published... wow.

hym

Banned
$15 I could understand if the game were being published by Microsoft (the XBLA version launched at 1200 Space Bucks, which is $12.50), but the fact that it's both four years old and self-published... wow.

No early purchase discount, no TF2 hat, no additional content, paid DLC, and over 2 years after it released on PSN so it's definitely not Microsoft that was holding them back from pushing it onto steam.

Not impressed, waiting for a sale.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Isn't Castle Crashers like 4 years old? I remember waking up at 5 AM to download it the day it came out and being really disappointed. Guardian Heroes it ain't.

Another separate Steam client beta is going on.

Hello everyone,

We have another, slightly different, Steam Client beta available for those of you on Windows. This Beta is for Steam.exe itself. The primary role of Steam.exe is to download and/or update the rest of the Steam Client bits; we refer to it as "the bootstrapper".

When we released Steam for the Mac, we created a new Steam executable that uses HTTP to download and update the Steam client bits. We are planning now on replacing the Windows executable with the same newer code.

Because we are running a beta test of the thing which, itself, manages updates and betas, there are a couple of considerations. First, opting-in to this beta will be done via a different method. Second, opting back out is slightly convoluted. Third, and most important, if we mess something up you might have to go perform a little manual labor to get your Steam install working again (your games won't be affected at all, just the Steam client files).

To opt-in to this beta, you'll need to do the following:

1. First, opt-out of the "Steam Beta Update" beta if you are already participating in it (don't worry, you'll be back in it once you do the next few steps). This can be done via the Settings menu and selecting "None", then restarting. Exit Steam after that.

2. Create a shortcut to Steam.exe, or run it from the command-line, with the following argument: -clientbeta steamexebeta

What you should see is the Steam update-dialog you are used to, with the bar progressing to about 30%. It will then go away and the new update dialog will come up and download some Steam Client files to your machine. Steam should then start up and you shouldn't really notice any difference after this. Future updates will use the new method and dialog. If anything, updates should be faster for you with the new bootstrapper than they were with the old.

We will be keeping this beta client in sync with the regular Steam Beta Update (Big Picture), so you can keep checking all those new features out too.

Opting out of this beta (getting back to the old Steam.exe) is a little bit weird. Should you want to do that, perform the following steps:

1. exit Steam
2. there should be a file named SteamTmp.exe in your Steam installation folder; leave it there for now
3. delete Steam.exe
4. rename SteamTmp.exe to Steam.exe

I think that's it, so if you're feeling a bit adventurous feel free to try out our new bootstrapper. If you run into problem, notice anything strange, or just have some feedback, please join the discussions here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steambootstrapper/discussions/

Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/882959903396314730/

ArjanN

SEGA can eat a big veiny cock for making only the loading screen in JSR 60fps.

Seriously what in the actual fuck.

Eh. They already did a lot of work on it.

The clean artstyle and the fact it's not that fast paced a game make the 30FPS not really an issue IMO.

It's a great remake of the game.

Just picked up a $50 Steam card from Gamestop with a Gamestop giftcard that was collecting dust. I swore to never set foot into another Gamestop years ago but I'll make an exception this time. :)

Is there any way to redeem steam codes from the mobile app? It doesn't look like it.

Blizzard

Banned

Just in case you are serious, you realize that this is presumably because of how the engine and game were made, right? Some games tie gameplay mechanics and/or animations and/or game speed to the framerate. I don't like that idea, but if an engine and game were designed and bug-tested around that, it could be a huge software effort to try to remake parts of the engine or game to support it. It would be nice if they had the time and money to do that, but it's not like they just decided to lock the framerate to 30 fps for no reason -- the game goes slower at lower framerates and faster at higher framerates.

If you'd like a more detailed explanation, I think someone made a very informative post about different engine types here or in the JSR thread, and I might be able to hunt it down for you.

Nabs

That's probably how it worked on the Dreamcast, bro. You should calm down, turn up the volume, and enjoy one of the best HD ports out there.

Ceebs

Just picked up a $50 Steam card from Gamestop with a Gamestop giftcard that was collecting dust. I swore to never set foot into another Gamestop years ago but I'll make an exception this time. :)

Is there any way to redeem steam codes from the mobile app? It doesn't look like it.

Nope. I was looked when I was not at home to redeem my borderlands 2 code to start preloading.

Nah, only the desktop client can redeem codes. Bit daft, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom