• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game logic is probably tied to the framerate, if it is they couldn't change it even if they wanted to.

Eh. They already did a lot of work on it.

The clean artstyle and the fact it's not that fast paced a game make the 30FPS not really an issue IMO.

It's a great remake of the game.

Just in case you are serious, you realize that this is presumably because of how the engine and game were made, right? Some games tie gameplay mechanics and/or animations and/or game speed to the framerate. I don't like that idea, but if an engine and game were designed and bug-tested around that, it could be a huge software effort to try to remake parts of the engine or game to support it. It would be nice if they had the time and money to do that, but it's not like they just decided to lock the framerate to 30 fps for no reason -- the game goes slower at lower framerates and faster at higher framerates.

If you'd like a more detailed explanation, I think someone made a very informative post about different engine types here or in the JSR thread, and I might be able to hunt it down for you.

That's probably how it worked on the Dreamcast, bro. You should calm down, turn up the volume, and enjoy one of the best HD ports out there.

Oh I know why it's 30fps (I just would like to know why Japanese developers do this) but I just don't think it's a good port. Even the fonts are blurry as shit.

Still enjoying it for the second time but I'm a bit disappointed I guess.

Nabs

Oh I know why it's 30fps (I just would like to know why Japanese developers do this) but I just don't think it's a good port. Even the fonts are blurry as shit.

Still enjoying it for the second time but I'm a bit disappointed I guess.

Blurry fonts? They look pretty smooth on my end. They added widescreen, camera controls, fixed the hud/subs, and removed pop in. I just don't see how it's a bad port.

MW3 free hacker weekend incoming.

Blurry fonts? They look pretty smooth on my end. They added widescreen, camera controls, fixed the hud/subs, and removed pop in. I just don't see how it's a bad port.

MW3 free hacker weekend incoming.

lol newcomers are in for a surprise. It's a hack fest and people calling each other akimbo fags.

I've also run across some very blurry textures. I'll try to take some screenshots. But if you didn't experience any of this, it's maybe on my side? :S

Nabs

I've also run across some very blurry textures. I'll try to take some screenshots. But if you didn't experience any of this, it's maybe on my side? :S

Some textures are going to be rough, but I didn't have an issue with fonts (subs/hud/menu).

lol newcomers are in for a surprise. It's a hack fest and people calling each other akimbo fags.

Yeah, I feel for 'em. Tip: Play with a group of gaffers or friends. That is the only way you're going to have any fun.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't recall seeing blurry fonts. Some environment/face textures are probably low-res, but I don't specifically remember fonts. I thought there was some pop-in in the distance of police cars etc., but I might be wrong on that.

Don't worry about it, the great things about PC gaming is someone will make a 60fps mod.
If the engine truly depends on the game being 30 fps, making a 60 fps mod probably means everything moves at double speed (pretty sure this is the case for jSR). I would personally be surprised if a logic + controls + graphics all at 60 fps mod comes out.

Just picked up a $50 Steam card from Gamestop with a Gamestop giftcard that was collecting dust. I swore to never set foot into another Gamestop years ago but I'll make an exception this time. :)

Is there any way to redeem steam codes from the mobile app? It doesn't look like it.

Unfortunately, the only way to redeem your codes on a mobile device is through the device's web browser.
1) Log in to the Steam website using your web browser of choice.
2) Enter the url listed on the voucher receipt (http://www.steampowered.com/wallet), then enter the voucher code on the resulting page.

Yeah all of them seemed to puke up "Invalid" code rather than dupe after they announced they were on the last 4. Though I couldn't quite figure out if there was some snag to the last one, putting it in normally fetched "invalid".

If you enter too many invalid codes in a short while you will gert locked out and every code shows up as invalid. Happened to me too after the first 5. :/ I think the lock lasts for an hour.

Some textures are going to be rough, but I didn't have an issue with fonts (subs/hud/menu).

I don't recall seeing blurry fonts. Some environment/face textures are probably low-res, but I don't specifically remember fonts. I thought there was some pop-in in the distance of police cars etc., but I might be wrong on that.

Apparently unticking "maximized" fixed my problem where a wall in the Tab tutorial level looked like ass. Not just a rough texture, it looked entirely different from the same textures that were around it. Really weird.

As for the blurry fonts, the main menu is the best example.

MRORANGE

@joystiq is giving out Steam codes for Castle Crashers

Great, just bought the game, why didn't' I read this first.

I agree with others the game is way too expensive, but it's not a uncommon thing for indie devs to charges extra for PC ports.

I wonder if it's because they know most of the people who will buy will buy it during sales, so they still get a reasonable slice of profit from each game.

I guess Castle Crashers is missing two DLC packs (King Pack, Necromancer Pack), unless they're included in the game already. There's no mention of it in the description, though.

My comment was more aimed at SalsaShark as hes not really into competitive games going off his Steam profile.

But I would like to mention that the new competitive games that are around may not be graphically intensive but sure as hell can't get to lock 120phs due to shitty support from drivers or low GPU usage unless their based off old tech.

It's true that most games post-2008 are hard to get a locked 120FPS on, but even 90 FPS gives a pretty decent advantage.

Typically when I play TF2 @ 120Hz, it runs at buttery-smooth 120FPS if there are less than ~15 people in the game. 30 player matches will dip down to 60fps if everybody is in the same room and shooting at each-other. Also I find there to be reduced input-lag.

Salsa

yeeeeeeah it should be 10 bucks..

well, I had plans of having a friend over tonight and do some co-op, so i'll probably get it anyway. Let me know if anyone starts a fourpack, im in

Salsa

My comment was more aimed at SalsaShark as hes not really into competitive games going off his Steam profile.

this is partly true. The only real competitive stuff I play is TF2, and ive abandoned it lately.

Still though, im thinking 120hz for future-proofing in case I upgrade my card eventually and just to have 120hz while browsing and such (or even 120fps on resource-light indie games and the likes).

The 23 inch one definitely doesn't have D-DVI. That much I do remember from my past research. So if your GPU doesn't have display port, your SoL with 120hz until you upgrade.

I have an MSI GTX560TI Twin Frozer II. Think im boned if it needs a display port

edit: dang double post

Salsa

well im reading that the S23A700D actually has no display port, but people are listing this as a con..

I should assume that no display port means that it should work just fine @ 120hz over DVI, right?

1-D_FTW

this is partly true. The only real competitive stuff I play is TF2, and ive abandoned it lately.

Still though, im thinking 120hz for future-proofing in case I upgrade my card eventually and just to have 120hz while browsing and such (or even 120fps on resource-light indie games and the likes).

I have an MSI GTX560TI Twin Frozer II. Not even sure if it'll work

edit: dang double post

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ISVI3U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That card only has two D-DVI and an HDMI port.

Most display port to DVI adaptors are only single link (60hz limit). A quick google shows Apple has a mini-display port to D-DVI link and there are a couple AMD compatible adapters that are aimed at Eyefininity users (triple screen setups). They all seem to be around 100 dollars (maybe significantly more by you). I also can't guarantee they'll actually work. You would think there's no technical reason it shouldn't, but I can't guarantee that. In case you're wondering, all the 6 series Nvidia cards have display port. So they've finally made the jump to supporting it.

well im reading that the S23A700D actually has no display port, but people are listing this as a con..

I should assume that no display port means that it should work just fine @ 120hz over DVI, right?

Yeah. You're right. They must have made a model refresh. Because it used to be the opposite and was really dumb to exclude Nvidia cards like that. You're good.

EDIT: So you don't think I'm completely off my rocker, the budget model used to be the Samsung SA750 and that really only did have HDMI and Display Port.

Salsa

Yeah. You're right. They must have made a model refresh. Because it used to be the opposite and was really dumb to exclude Nvidia cards like that. You're good.

yeah, samsung's deal with AMD kinda grinds my gears. Never gonna use the built in 3D because of that

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Syberia is a fantastic little adventure game series and I highly recommend picking it up on the cheap. A few things about it though:

Pacing for Syberia 1 is a little sluggish. Your character moves at the speed of a turtle and there are several extremely lengthy screens she has to cross. Can rack up some time just moving back and forth between those. Plotwise it also takes a bit to really get cracking, but the final third opens up drastically and Syberia 2 is on the whole much faster paced from movement (double click to run for example) and plot.

There's no way to fail, just get stuck for a while.

Oscar is the greatest.

Gvaz

Banned
If the engine truly depends on the game being 30 fps, making a 60 fps mod probably means everything moves at double speed (pretty sure this is the case for jSR). I would personally be surprised if a logic + controls + graphics all at 60 fps mod comes out.

As has been shown time and time again, if it's implemented properly it will be fine.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
GOG has it listed as working on Windows 7, and it mostly does, but the game continuously crashes throughout the cutscenes.

Really? That's very strange, ran through all of Syberia 1 and most of Syberia 2 on Windows 7 64bit and had nary a crash. Wonder if it's a codec thing, as my windows install was fresh at the time.

1-D_FTW

yeah, samsung's deal with AMD kinda grinds my gears. Never gonna use the built in 3D because of that

I'm not sure you missed my edit, but the Samsung SA750 used to be the budget model and it was Diplay port only. Ironically enough, Nvidia starts supporting Display Port and now Samsung starts putting D-DVI on the budget models.

I don't really have issues with it being 3D exclusive, because most monitors are exclusive one way or the other. And most are Nvidia exclusive. But 120hz support should be supported for both cards. And for a while, Samsung wasn't allowing that with their cheap models without an expensive adapter. It's nice to see they've changed that.

Really? That's very strange, ran through all of Syberia 1 and most of Syberia 2 on Windows 7 64bit and had nary a crash. Wonder if it's a codec thing, as my windows install was fresh at the time.

I actually played through both of them about a month after I built my current PC so the install of Windows was pretty fresh. What would happen is a cutscene would start, game would crash, I restart and get the cutscene to play again, and this time it would get a little further but then crash once more. I had to go through this loop with every cutscene, it crashed over and over throughout each one. It became so annoying, lol. I don't recall it happening in the second game.

Salsa

I'm not sure you missed my edit, but the Samsung SA750 used to be the budget model and it was Diplay port only. Ironically enough, Nvidia starts supporting Display Port and now Samsung starts putting D-DVI on the budget models.

I don't really have issues with it being 3D exclusive, because most monitors are exclusive one way or the other. And most are Nvidia exclusive. But 120hz support should be supported for both cards. And for a while, Samsung wasn't allowing that with their cheap models without an expensive adapter. It's nice to see they've changed that.

I did I did, im just talking about the 3D stuff and how as you say the 120hz used to need that display port

Wok

Ok, first time doing this so go easy on me. I've got 48 beta keys for Ravaged. You have to redeem them on the Ravaged site here first, then they give you a Steam key.

Quote to reveal, and enjoy :)

Cross-post from another thread. There are still some beta keys left. I have activated one today. The trick is the hidden keys are to be activated on the website and then you get a Steam key. This lets you try already-used keys without blocking you for fifteen minutes.

Blizzard

Banned
As has been shown time and time again, if it's implemented properly it will be fine.
Pardon my ignorance, but which games that had game logic locked to 30 fps were able to unlock the framerate, game logic, animation, and input sampling frequency to 60 fps without issues, purely through closed-source reverse-engineering modding? I thought it was pretty uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom