• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, trying to keep it cheap, December is on its way. Already gonna skip on X-COM and just pretty much getting Dishonored and waiting for Project Eternity to take my money.

But in light of that, I would definitely pay UFG/Squeenix for a Sleeping Dogs poster like RIGHT FUCKING NOW.
Not buying X-COM is killing me. I figured I'd be busy enough with Dishonored to play both games at the same time, specially since I still haven't beaten Dark Souls...

Catshade

What's the cheapest price a game can sell for on steam (other than f2p/mods)? I'm assuming $1 but then you can't drop it down in the sales because of transaction fees and all that.

wdHtH.png

xJavonta

Banned
I feel like people think I pirate games when I launch non-Steam games through Steam. Truth is, I use Steam as a launcher for all of my games and sometimes I just find a deal on a game somewhere else and it turns out to be a non-steam works title. Does anyone else feel like this?

weird. Specially considering im playing on a TV with a somewhat-weird res (1360x768, instead of the more common 1366x768) and it auto-detected it right away

no signs of working it out through some config file?
Yeah it's odd because I know it's not changing to a lower/higher res than my main monitor, since the windows on my secondary monitor didn't get "pushed over." not a big deal though. And I have yet to try a custom config

DTKT

Shogun 2 with DLC is about 30Gigs.

It's going to take me an entire 30 hours of real-time in order to complete the download.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's actually not bad. I get a maximum of 6 Mbps if I'm lucky.

And when you're lucky, your connection is twice as fast as his. ;) I can sync at 7~7.5Mbit on the greatest of days, but I typically sync between 5.5 and 6.5Mbit, give or take 5%. I'd be happy with this as I count down the days until my town finally gets fibre (Q1/Q2 2014) if my international speeds didn't suck, and although I could switch to an ISP that doesn't constantly under-provision bandwidth, there are few reasonably-priced options for high-usage users such as myself who are stuck on an exchange serviced only by Australia's incompetent incumbent telco.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dark Souls is only $30 on Amazon.

But I feel like a bigger price drop on Steam is imminent at any moment. What do you guys think?

Khal_B

Has anyone outside of the US gone for the deal on Sleeping Dogs and successfully activated the game on Steam? I remember buying Mafia 2 on Amazon, only for Steam to say the game wasn't available in my region...luckily that only cost me $5.

I'd be grateful for confirmation.

JaseC

Has anyone outside of the US gone for the deal on Sleeping Dogs and successfully activated the game on Steam? I remember buying Mafia 2 on Amazon, only for Steam to say the game wasn't available in my region...luckily that only cost me $5.

I'd be grateful for confirmation.

I don't know if Amazon's SD keys are region-locked, but more generally you can activate region-locked keys using a VPN. Spotflux works just fine with Steam and is based in the US; in fact, I used it to activate the region-locked Inversion key I bought from Amazon.

Edit: As always, be aware that although Valve hasn't been known to restrict the accounts of those who use a VPN for reasons other than self-cross-regional-gifting (i.e. bypassing your regional store), use of a VPN at all is technically against the SSA.

Probably old as the hills, but Ozgameshop.com (365 games or whatever in the uk), who Australian's may know well, now are selling Steam keys.

Currently have Dead Island $7.99
COD MW3 $29.99
Skyrim $29.99
Borderlands 2 $37.99

and a few other decent prices (especially with vouchers if you have them)

JaseC

Probably old as the hills, but Ozgameshop.com (365 games or whatever in the uk), who Australian's may know well, now are selling Steam keys.

Currently have Dead Island $7.99
COD MW3 $29.99
Skyrim $29.99
Borderlands 2 $37.99

and a few other decent prices (especially with vouchers if you have them)

Dead Island is tempting, but it's the standard edition and the game is due for a sale on Steam.

Khal_B

I don't know if Amazon's SD keys are region-locked, but more generally you can activate region-locked keys using a VPN. Spotflux works just fine with Steam and is based in the US; in fact, I used it to activate the region-locked Inversion key I bought from Amazon.

Edit: As always, be aware that although Valve hasn't been known to restrict the accounts of those who use a VPN for reasons other than self-cross-regional-gifting (i.e. bypassing your regional store), use of a VPN at all is technically against the SSA.

Thanks for the info, man. I think I'll hold off until Steam has their next major sale, just to play it safe.

JaseC

Thanks for the info, man. I think I'll hold off until Steam has their next major sale, just to play it safe.

I'm sure at least one non-US GAFer has purchased Sleeping Dogs at the discounted price. Hopefully he/she confirms, before the code expires, whether or not the keys are region-locked.

So, GamersGate also has an Elder Scrolls week, where at least Morrowind and Oblivion get real discounts.

I'm not sure what the prices are in $, but since the prices in € were very low even before the sale, Morrowind GOTY is 2.87€ and Oblivion GOTY is 4.89€. I had the IGN 15% discount so I just got both for 6.60€.

They decide currency by IP and store it in cookies in my experience. I don't even have an address stored there and pay by PayPal, so a proxy might work.

Ledsen

For the benefit of people buying X-Com (outside the US) who don't know about the 25% off on GMG: use the code GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN, cheapest option by far.

Milamber

I'm gonna get Dishonored maybe after 1~2 weeks when everyone has played it. I want to see reactions. Same for X-Com, the demo wasn't enough.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still won't be touching Skyrim until it gets the full version.

They probably don't release more on PC so as to not cut into their social versions. They also did away with omgpop's blockles so fuck it.
According to Wikipedia, this company owns the trademark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tetris_Company

Apparently in the past they had claimed copyright infringement or whatnot against freeware clones etc. I don't know if anyone owns them.

Ahh interesting, didn't know Tetris had that copyright struggle. Hilariously enough, the Russian inventor of the game probably didn't get credit.

zkylon

zkylewd
But hitman and AC3 PC comes out next month, on the same day too! :eek:
I'm not that big a fan of Hitman games not to wait a bit, but yeah, AC3 is gonna be hard to push. Maybe I'll get lucky and Ubi will delay it like they always do. I still gotta do Ass Rev, because no matter how dumb the story has gotten, I really wanna know.

I'm playing Hitman Blood Money right now
at the Mardi Gras mission
and haven't even played AssBroHo yet so it's rather easy to resist Absolution and ACIII.

JaseC

Being an Aussie it's hard to resist the allure of $40~$50 for a new release, so I just pre-order everything. :p

Forkball

Not sure how Hitman will turn out, but ACIII should be amazing. The AC ports actually aren't as bad as people say, though Brotherhood did have more stuttering when compared to ACII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom