• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what to do about this issue? I've never had this happen with a free weekend game before and I don't want to uninstall it in case I do buy it eventually, and end up having to redownload the entire thing.

What is exactly happening in your screen? :lol

But I assume the solution to your problem would be backing up the files from the Steam folder manually?

HoosTrax

What is exactly happening in your screen? :lol

But I assume the solution to your problem would be backing up the files from the Steam folder manually?
Civ V randomly decided to show up in my library today even though I don't own it. I might have downloaded it a few months ago during a free weekend, not 100% sure. I looked on my hard drive and I definitely see a Civ V folder with about 5 gigs in there.

How so? Online is broken?

Online is pretty broken and there's a bug with collecting resources. Basically the longer you play, the harder the game lags.

Organizing co-op with randoms is a pain too. I think you basically have to occupy the mission select to keep anyone else from changing the mission on you at whim. I don't really want to get stuck playing one of the later missions with someone much higher leveled so the only use I have is collecting scrap and upgrading emplacements.

Civ V randomly decided to show up in my library today even though I don't own it. I might have downloaded it a few months ago during a free weekend, not 100% sure. I looked on my hard drive and I definitely see a Civ V folder with about 5 gigs in there.
That's what happens when you have them installed. It's sort of like pre-loading only that you don't own the game. It happens if you have Counter-Strike installed for example. Since CS uses Half-Life assets Half-Life is added to your account but you can't actually play it without buying it.

Blizzard

Banned
I had to launch Steam about four times today before it would quit saying it couldn't connect to the network. And considering I had a web browser up already, I know it wasn't a problem with the network not being up. :(

LQX

I had to launch Steam about four times today before it would quit saying it couldn't connect to the network. And considering I had a web browser up already, I know it wasn't a problem with the network not being up. :(

Phew, thought it was only me.

Blizzard

Banned
Incidentally, that would be a case where it didn't ask me if I wanted to go to offline mode. It just quit after the error. I did not try completely disabling the network interface or attempting to force offline mode with a config file to see if it would work, however.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Because of a storm I've been without internet at home all day. So tonight will be my first experience with Steam's offline mode. I hope all the horror stories I heard about it are false :(

Blizzard

Banned
Because of a storm I've been without internet at home all day. So tonight will be my first experience with Steam's offline mode. I hope all the horror stories I heard about it are false :(
If it doesn't work off the bat, try unplugging your Ethernet cable completely (or disabling the adapter from the control panel). If THAT doesn't work, I think there was a recent thread where people posted some other options, so let us know and we might get it working anyway.

...though I just realized that you won't be able to let us know, since, you know, no internet unless you have a smartphone or something. :p

Lime

Online is pretty broken and there's a bug with collecting resources. Basically the longer you play, the harder the game lags.

Organizing co-op with randoms is a pain too. I think you basically have to occupy the mission select to keep anyone else from changing the mission on you at whim. I don't really want to get stuck playing one of the later missions with someone much higher leveled so the only use I have is collecting scrap and upgrading emplacements.

It's GFWL, right?

dani_dc

Might be best to go into offline mode before turning off the internet, and remember to exit steam manually if you close the PC.

I have the same problem with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer.

It appears on the download list and on library, but the Singleplayer doesn't appear.
wneVD.jpg

XanWS.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If it doesn't work off the bat, try unplugging your Ethernet cable completely (or disabling the adapter from the control panel). If THAT doesn't work, I think there was a recent thread where people posted some other options, so let us know and we might get it working anyway.

...though I just realized that you won't be able to let us know, since, you know, no internet unless you have a smartphone or something. :p
Yes, I just saw that thread. It said to use a working Steam cache (or whatever) file, but as I'm currently offline I can't do anything if it doesn't already work.

And yes, I'm posting this from my phone :p

Might be best to go into offline mode before turning off the internet, and remember to exit steam manually if you close the PC.
You're right, but that's only useful for planned disconnections (like when playing on a notebook). I'm without internet for who knows how long (beginning of weekend, monday is a national holiday, so no telling when it'll be fixed).

Ah, then you've most definitely downloaded it during a free weekend and forgot to delete. But it's weird that it's showing up. As I said, try backing up the files manually (just copy the entire game folder) and deinstall it in Steam if it bothers you.

1-D_FTW

Darksiders II get. Thankfully I was able to get some e-mail going with the person who originally gifted me my list and no longer have to try and wait for Support to figure things out.

Have to give it a go and see how it runs this weekend. Although if it doesn't run as well as the original (was right on the edge with my 460 in 3D), I'll hold off until my new card arrives next week.

Dmented

Banned
Love Valve.

Valve Announces Major Update to Steam Video Player

Innovative new technology deployed across Steam store

August 17, 2012--Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Ricochet) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the launch of Volume Control, a major improvement to video playback in the Steam store.

After two years, and six teams of engineers, Valve has added the ability for gamers to control audio volume of videos within the Steam store. As of today, all video players within the Steam store now have an intuitively-designed slider to let customers adjust their preferred level of audio while watching trailers, teasers, and short films.

“This is literally the most significant development in video playback technology on Steam since we added [Adobe] Flash movies years ago,” said Julius Willmott at Valve. “We finally had to form a special task force to address this long-standing feature, as it clearly wasn’t going to build itself. We’ve play-tested the feature with multiple focus groups and think we’ve finally hit on a winning combination of usability and sleekness.”

In addition to the volume slider, Valve has added subtle yet important gradients to both the video loading bar and the video playback progress bar.

For details and to experience the best video player on the web, please visit http://www.steampowered.com

dot

FINALLY. I've always had to mute the video on every game's store page because it's so ear-shattering.

Now add chat logs next, please Valve? :3

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ehm... the volume thingy is a joke, right? Or did Steam really lack a volume control for the videos?

On an unrelated point, the offline mode worked alright. I'm now playing some Just Cause 2! Anybody knows if the achievements unlocked while offline are uploaded to the account once you go online? And the leaderboards in games like Bit.Trip Beat?

Blizzard

Banned
Ehm... the volume thingy is a joke, right? Or did Steam really lack a volume control for the videos?

On an unrelated point, the offline mode worked alright. I'm now playing some Just Cause 2! Anybody knows if the achievements unlocked while offline are uploaded to the account once you go online? And the leaderboards in games like Bit.Trip Beat?
I would doubt leaderboards work, but I -thought- I heard people say that achievements in offline games (Skyrim maybe, I forget which) sometimes register for you after the fact once you go back online.

I'm glad it worked for you, at any rate!

Card Boy

Banned
Am i missing something here, where did the News section go on Steam? I can't see the patch notes for all my updated games anymore. I hope noone defends this.

1-D_FTW

Darksiders II get. Thankfully I was able to get some e-mail going with the person who originally gifted me my list and no longer have to try and wait for Support to figure things out.

Have to give it a go and see how it runs this weekend. Although if it doesn't run as well as the original (was right on the edge with my 460 in 3D), I'll hold off until my new card arrives next week.

Burn. I didn't actually read the final e-mail (just clicked on the gift since I was already in Steam when it arrived). Turns out they had Bioshock Infinite as my choice instead.

I remember this now. I had Bioshock Infinite in my wishlist, but it was really weird. There was like no link to the storepage or anything. So out of paranoia, I removed it from the top 10 wishlist and put Darksiders II in its place.

But between them notifying winners days after they actually won, me only having Bioshock Infinite listed in my Top 10 a couple days, and the fact they never actually stated which games you won (just gifted you those you had), I completely removed it as a possibility. I always assumed it was Darksiders II. You know what they say about assuming. What a dumbass move that was.

Volcynika

I have to jump through hoops now to get that information? What if i want to view patch notes and developments for games i don't have? It was a simply one click on the News tab before.

I never used the tab myself, but if you want the notes for a game you have, that's not really a hoop.

dot

You can reach News through the Store tab. It's right next to "Recommended" and near the search bar too.

Joe Molotov

I have to jump through hoops now to get that information? What if i want to view patch notes and developments for games i don't have? It was a simply one click on the News tab before.

They just moved the News tab down one menu bar, no extra hoops required, breh.

Card Boy

Banned
I never used the tab myself, but if you want the notes for a game you have, that's not really a hoop.

I used it twice daily at least and even from my iPad. It's how i also check for sales and to check if games where getting patched for features i wanted before buying. And of course regular patches to games i want.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/

Not sure why i can view it here and it's not on the Steam main page anymore.
They just moved the News tab down one menu bar, no extra hoops required, breh.

Where? The fact i can't find it instantly means they have already failed in there redesign.

Blizzard

Banned
I just wish there was/had been an option to view news without having to do more more click (the pain!) to filter our Kotaku and just view plain game update news instead of game updates + random websites.

Can't instantly find = failed redesign.

If I can't walk into someone's house and instantly know where everything is its a shitty house.

Card Boy

Banned
Can't instantly find = failed redesign.

If I can't walk into someone's house and instantly know where everything is its a shitty house.

You think hidding the news tab under 3 diffrent menus is a better design do you? What was the issue on how it was before? I don't understand you're reasoning.

You think hidding the news tab under 3 diffrent menus is a better design do you? What was the issue on how it was before? I don't understand you're reasoning.
It's under one different tab. It was clearly the least used tab so it made no sense to keep it as one. It makes perfect sense to simply put it where it is under the store tab. Its not harder at all to get to it.

Derrick01

Banned
I never used the news tab anyway. If there was a patch I would just hit news underneath the download. Not that it matters since it seems like fucking no one provides patch notes on time anymore.

It literally takes me 40+ seconds for Steam to open up. -__-; It's such a piece of shit on Mac. Followed by a black screen half the time, only fixable by restarting it. Feels like a Java app. Edit: Now it seems to be crashing after launch, now giving me a -1712 error (Application can't be opened.)

_-_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom