• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to move a game though, just tell it to launch from a different executable.

Nope. You can only add the new executable under the "add games" option. I wanted to do the same thing since I'm using fose for Fallout 3, but it isnt possible. Not really something Steam should really waste their time addressing since it is so rarely a problem and all you lose out on is the non-shortcut icon and the steam page art.

catabarez

I'm not trying to move a game though, just tell it to launch from a different executable.

This might work. Odd request though.

Make a shortcut of the .exe you want to use. Place it in the folder of the .exe you want to replace. Change the the name of the shortcut to the name of the file you are replacing. Done.

You might want to archive the file that is being replaced though in case this doesn't work.

Why are you doing this btw?

vazel

Banned
Why can't I log into Steam. I Know TF2 is blowing up right now but why should that affect Steam's log-in servers. This is really annoying.

Edit: Logged in. Yay. I can play my games now.

RedSwirl

This might work. Odd request though.

Make a shortcut of the .exe you want to use. Place it in the folder of the .exe you want to replace. Change the the name of the shortcut to the name of the file you are replacing. Done.

You might want to archive the file that is being replaced though in case this doesn't work.

Why are you doing this btw?

Bought Arx Fatalis, installed a mod that transfers the game files into an updated renderer (kinda like ZDoom), but the mod installs as a separate executable in a separate location that launches outside of Steam. I still want to launch the Steam game that I bought but with then newer renderer.

catabarez

Bought Arx Fatalis, installed a mod that transfers the game files into an updated renderer (kinda like ZDoom), but the mod installs as a separate executable in a separate location that launches outside of Steam. I still want to launch the Steam game that I bought but with then newer renderer.

Ohhh. So my solution didn't work?

This is exactly what happened to me when I was getting heretic to work with zdoom. What he suggested is essentially what I did and it worked like a charm.

As far as I can tell you can only use the "add a game" function. The only difference will be that you will now have a shortcut in your games list instead of a clear picture for the game icon and you wont have the game art on when you click to highlight the game. You can fix that by saving screenshots from inside the game and using that as the game art.

RedSwirl

This is exactly what happened to me when I was getting heretic to work with zdoom. What he suggested is essentially what I did and it worked like a charm.

Didn't work for Arx, but thanks for the heads up on Heretic. I have pretty much all the DOOM engine games on Steam as well and will be using ZDoom with them. Does that install as a separate application too?

As far as I can tell you can only use the "add a game" function. The only difference will be that you will now have a shortcut in your games list instead of a clear picture for the game icon and you wont have the game art on when you click to highlight the game. You can fix that by saving screenshots from inside the game and using that as the game art.

That and it won't keep track of my time playing the game.

Didn't work for Arx, but thanks for the heads up on Heretic. I have pretty much all the DOOM engine games on Steam as well and will be using ZDoom with them. Does that install as a separate application too?

It does.

So what I did was follow this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583596 and that DIDN'T work for me but it seems to work for most others so I'm assuming I'm just dumb and messed it up. So I'd try that first. Later all I did was basically manually rename the dosbox.exe that comes with the steam files to run the game, to something else in the steamapps folder and then rename the zdoom.exe to "dosbox.exe" and now it launches fine right from steam. So either way seems to work.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I know this is morrowind-specific but I might as well ask - is there a way to tweak the settings you did in morrowind overhaul in the steam folder?

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I didn't quite read the entire conversation, but try moving everything into the Arx Fatalis folder on Steam, rename the original .EXE from arx fatalis to something else and rename the updated renderer engine executable to arx fatalis .exe name.

If there's no outside calls to the .EXE in question, it MIGHT work.

Also, don't "verify game cache", otherwise your .exe will be overwritten.

Even then, it might not work.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Finally finished the Last Remnant that I bought from the summer sale (53 hours and a 7/10 at best). After playing through the entire Ys series and that, I think I'm done with JRPGs for quite a while.

wazoo

But is the game any good?!

It is LOTR. It is made by Snowblind studios (Baldur Gate Dark Alliance).It is approx 3$ with rebate.

It gets ok reviews, not stellar, not bad, but there is a big difference on the appreciation on a game when it is 60$ or 3$.

Wok

Anyone wants a 75% coupon for Portal 2?

StOkK.png

Thanks to Lain, I could buy the game for someone who missed the summer sales.

b0HRf.png

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I also have a Portal 2 coupon and a Steam beta invite if anyone wants.

Mairu

It is LOTR. It is made by Snowblind studios (Baldur Gate Dark Alliance).It is approx 3$ with rebate.

It gets ok reviews, not stellar, not bad, but there is a big difference on the appreciation on a game when it is 60$ or 3$.

That's true, but let's be real... $3-4 isn't that uncommon of a price when it comes to steam sales, so I don't want to buy a bad game just because it's cheap :) That's why I was asking if anyone had played it :p

edit: oh, and i have a portal 2 coupon if anybody wants it... don't think I know anyone who doesn't have the game already!

I'm totally repeating myself here but as a LotR nut I was looking forward to hooking up my PC to the TV and playing this with my brother. Sadly Snowblind and WB didn't think that the local co-op from the console versions was worth porting over. Combined with the ATi issues (totally going nVidia now, thank you Salsa) this just isn't worth it anymore. For me at least.

wazoo

RUSE is 75% off at gamersgate and steamable for 24h.

much more interesting that all the uplay crap of this week.

wazoo

I am very much puzzled that there is no talk about pc gaming on this board beside a few very much localized thread, like this one, which deals more with sales deals than gaming itself.

I

I've also got a 75% portal coupon that needs a good home.
I also have cities in motion (mac version) giftable on gamersgate if anyone is interested.

ArjanN

I am very much puzzled that there is no talk about pc gaming on this board beside a few very much localized thread, like this one, which deals more with sales deals than gaming itself.

It's been getting better over the last year or two, and interest in PC gaming here will only continue to increase until the next-gen stuff comes out. After that I guess there'll be a slight dip for a while because of all the money that's going to be thrown at the new consoles/exclusives. I don't expect the new consoles to win back all the ground they lost though.

botlite

Anybody play Lord of the Rings War in the North? It's 4.99 on GMG

I bought it months ago and it's a decent game but your progress is held by auto saves and unfortunately there's bugs and they can cause you to become unable to progress. It happened to me 6 hours in and it is not uncommon, even on consoles. If you are going to buy it make sure you constantly back up the save game. I regret the purchase.

i bought a copy of LOTR but gmg won't let me buy a 2nd one so that i can play some co-op.

anyone interested in trading me a LOTR steam key for all 9 games in the current indie gala bundle?

i bought a copy of LOTR but gmg won't let me buy a 2nd one so that i can play some co-op.

anyone interested in trading me a LOTR steam key for all 9 games in the current indie gala bundle?

I've seen others with this problem and I believe they had to set up a second account.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Salsa banned? What happened?

Port begging, apparently, although I've poked through his recent post history (call it "virtual morbid curiosity" :p) and didn't see anything that would raise such a red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom