• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

For some reasons Steam only wants to download one game at a time, the others are "suspended" until I pause the progressing one. Is this a new thing or something wrong with my client?

Toki767

For some reasons Steam only wants to download one game at a time, the others are "suspended" until I pause the progressing one. Is this a new thing or something wrong with my client?

It's always just downloaded one at a time for me, but I can't say I've ever had more than one thing download at a time too often to tell.

It's a new thing. The client will download only one game at a time, in the order in which you added them to the queue.

Tomodachi

It's always just downloaded one at a time for me, but I can't say I've ever had more than one thing download at a time too often to tell.
Really? I might remember it wrong, but I was pretty sure I always downloaded more stuff at the same time. Weird.
It's a new thing. The client will download only one game at a time, in the order in which you added them to the queue.
Oh, all right. I must say I'm not a fan of this (single games don't get to the maximum download speed sometimes). Thanks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really? I might remember it wrong, but I was pretty sure I always downloaded more stuff at the same time. Weird.

Concurrent downloads on the new CDS are limited to one, while on the old CDS the limit is... three, IIRC five.

I really don't like the new CDS. It's always slow as hell, locks up the entire computer and only one concurrent download. The only benefit is being able to install on different locations.

Playing through The Witcher 2.

It is perfect.

Challenging combat with depth in augmentation and attack speed and range without circle strafing!?
One of the best games I've played in the last couple of years. Love it. Finished it on PC, bought X360 version day one, plan to do a 100% completion. Enjoy it!
From Software is weeping at what they could have made.
05d.jpg

Demon's/Dark Souls combat is amazing. Dat character weight & finesse

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Why am I getting "Steam has to restart" because of a September 7 update, like 3-4 times per week?
Steam is acting weird. I had to cancel and delete the download of Hell Yeah's demo, because it stopped at 75% and wouldn't continue.

JaseC

Steam is acting weird. I had to cancel and delete the download of Hell Yeah's demo, because it stopped at 75% and wouldn't continue.

As mentioned by Exuro, it's due to being opted into the beta. While the frequency is certainly higher than usual, there's likely a lot of general backend updates being cranked out as the Linux beta nears.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Played Football Manager 2012 on my friend's account. Oh my god. If Civilization is meth, this shit right here is bath salts.

I feel like this is something I could get hooked on, but I wish there was one for real football or baseball. My complete lack of interest in Soccer prevents me from trying it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
As mentioned by Exuro, it's due to being opted into the beta. While the frequency is certainly higher than usual, there's likely a lot of general backend updates being cranked out as the Linux beta nears.
Nope, I was never in the beta. I'm still using the good ol' stable version, specially after hearing it had lots of problems. I also got that update message yesterday.

JaseC

Nope, I was never in the beta. I'm still using the good ol' stable version, specially after hearing it had lots of problems. I also got that update message yesterday.

Oh, right. Maybe if you count how many times it updates per week and divide that by three... :p

Edit: If I had to guess, I'd presume that the beta updates aren't being flagged properly and are thus distributed universally. Or there's an error in the latest stable build which sees it incorrectly considered as out-of-date.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Publishers have caught on and, for some, GMG is no longer the safe haven it once was:

- Region-specific pricing (e.g. THQ's games carry the Aussie Tax)
- Region-specific availability (e.g. Assassin's Creed 3 is available for pre-order in Europe but nowhere else)
- Region restrictions put on voucher codes due to "contractual obligations" (e.g. US customers cannot use such codes when purchasing X-COM)

Screw this :(

JaseC

Screw this :(

'twas inevitable, really. Well, codes not being universal is, outside of publisher-specific stores and DD retailers that don't pretend to service international customers, unprecedented, but the rest is just GMG falling in line.

Edit: You are right, of course -- it does suck.

DrPirate

Banned
I feel like this is something I could get hooked on, but I wish there was one for real football or baseball. My complete lack of interest in Soccer prevents me from trying it.

Gridiron Football. Real Football IS Football. And yes, what I'm doing is douchy, but it legitly bothers me.

1-D_FTW

'twas inevitable, really. Well, codes not being universal is, outside of publisher-specific stores and DD retailers that don't pretend to service international customers, unprecedented, but the rest is just GMG falling in line.

Edit: You are right, of course -- it does suck.

I don't really get why the publishers would give a rip for US customers (where there's no Aussie tax to protect).

I've always operated under the assumption GMG was just giving away a large chunk of their 30 percent cut (for marketshare volume). It's not like they have hosting overhead like Valve does with Steam. So coupons that gave away a large chunk of their 30 percent share weren't a big deal for them.

So why would a publisher really care? I can see why this would miff Valve. But a publisher? As long as those deep discounts are just coming out of GMG's bottom line, why would they care who they're getting their 70 percent from. In fact, "publisher" discounts result in cheaper end prices and more sales. From their POV, it should be viewed as an ideal situation.

They used to make a game called OOTP Baseball in a very similar vein to FM though it seems to be mobile only now.

JaseC

I don't really get why the publishers would give a rip for US customers (where there's no Aussie tax to protect).

I've always operated under the assumption GMG was just giving away a large chunk of their 30 percent cut (for marketshare volume). It's not like they have hosting overhead like Valve does with Steam. So coupons that gave away a large chunk of their 30 percent share weren't a big deal for them.

So why would a publisher really care? I can see why this would miff Valve. But a publisher? As long as those deep discounts are just coming out of GMG's bottom line, why would they care who they're getting their 70 percent from. In fact, "publisher" discounts result in cheaper end prices and more sales. From their POV, it should be viewed as an ideal situation.

Likewise, but 2K's recent test case suggests otherwise. If GMG is indeed depending on publishers to take the hit, I give it 12 months before discount codes become either profoundly rare and/or UK/EU-exclusive.

1-D_FTW

Likewise, but 2K's recent test case suggests otherwise. If GMG is indeed depending on publishers to take the hit, I give it 12 months before discount codes become either profoundly rare and/or UK/EU-exclusive.

Agreed. No one really has an incentive to continue this (besides GMG) if that's the case.

1-D_FTW

Right with you. I would absolutely LOVE this type of game for American football.

Unfortunately, the NFL owners are greedy scumbags who like to sell exclusivity to a single publisher. Even if EA had interest in this, I'm sure it would suck anyways.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Mostly want Strangers Wrath HD, but Tropico 3 has also interested me for some time. I think I'll try to win them on steamgifts first. I've got a couple weeks.

If anyone is getting the bundle but already has Strangers Wrath, let me know. I could trade you, uhhh... Realms of Arkania 1&2 on GOG.

Ledsen

Why are you comparing a single player game's battle system with the online multiplayer system of a game that has both? I did not circle-strafe once in Dark Souls.

You must be insanely good at parrying and rolling. Circle strafing is standard repertoire in DS.

Is Darksiders 2 worth it @ $25? I loved the first one, but I've heard horrible feedback about it :-/

I would wait for a bigger discount.
It's not bad, it's not good, it's just very mediocre. And it's so long that it's mediocrity becomes very annoying, because it could've been so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom