• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croc

Banned
So does anyone have any impressions on Aquaria? I've noticed it while reading up about the Humble Indie Bundles and I watched the trailer on Steam. It looks pretty cool and interesting but I have never really heard much about it from others so I dunno if I want to take the plunge.

Grief.exe

Bumping this to the next page so people can take advantage of the deal.

I'm just posting this here since I can't make a thread, see the end of the post, and I'm just trying to let people know how they can get a free game before the offer expires.

Unfortunately I can't take advantage of this since my old Nexus broke and the pre paid card went with it, I called the number listed in the post and they are going to send me a check. But I won't be able to use that for 30-60 days. Enjoy your free game! I'm a super poor college student and really wanted FTL, I'll have to wait a little while until Google mails me a check

Just letting anyone who are interested know, if you got an Android phone recently and signed up for Google Wallet you got a free $10 dollars.

You have to use that $10 before October 17th or else it disappears. Just so happens that if you go to www.ftlgame.com/ they allow you to pay with Google Wallet and the game is $10. I was always trying to find a use for the free money.

This method works for any humble store game apparently so FTL, Legend of Grimrock (on sale for $7.50 right now), Awesomenauts, Trine 2, Bit.Trip, Botanacula, and a lot more.

They stopped giving out new cards as of September 17th, and if you updated the app after that date your card will disappear entirely. Unfortunately, I can't take advantage of this since my old Nexus broke and the pre-paid card is attached to the phone. If you are in a similar situation, or if you updated the app and the card disappeared, then call this number 8558960693 and they will send you a check.

Seems like a legitimate way to get a free game, I can't personally make a thread so if anyone wants to start one they should so we could get the word out. Don't know how many people this will affect but if you activated an Android phone anytime in the last year and a half you should have the $10.

I'm going to post this in a couple more places like the Legend of Grimrock OT, Green Man Gaming thread, and the Steam thread since the latter two are kind of the places to put good PC deals.

Enjoy your free game! I'm a super poor college student and really wanted FTL. I'll have to wait 30-60 days to get it until Google mails me a check

robbed

Neo Member
Bumping this to the next page so people can take advantage of the deal.

I don't think this is true. Have you tried it? I can't pay for things with my prepaid card from the web. I can only use that freebie cash when I pay with NFC at retail stores.

xJavonta

Banned
what's the "best short game to play and come back again and again" on Steam?
For me, Orcs Must Die, Super Meat Boy, Super Crate Box, The Binding of Isaac, and I haven't put any time into it but Dungeons of Dredmor seems good for that.

This was on Steam?! I love the iPad version, wish I'd known about it on Steam before it got taken down :(

Yep. Actually, Pkeod (from the development team) gave a ton of copies out on Reddit and Steamgifts.

Grief.exe

I don't think this is true. Have you tried it? I can't pay for things with my prepaid card from the web. I can only use that freebie cash when I pay with NFC at retail stores.

Did you try it from the web? You may be right, I hope not.

I can't personally try it because I lost my phone so they are sending me a check.

Try to access the site from your phone.

ShaneB

The game is 12.49 pounds in the UK and €24.99 for the rest of Europe.

I'm surprised they're doing a 50% sale so soon, I guess THQ is just that desesperated, plus they had some unrealistic sales goals for the game.

Guess it's too late tonight, but would love if any UK'er could purchase the game for me :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd like to see Darksiders 3 happen one day, but that seems as likely as a third Alice game.

ManeKast

Having trouble accessing my steam account;

Asus G73sw Laptop, Win 7 64bit, had steam for two years no problem.

I opted in to the big picture mode beta, when windows restarted it said "could not connect to steam network etc.".

So I contacted steam support, they suggested removing all files except steamapps and steam.exe, restarting, and running steam.exe from the folder I installed to.

This did not work. Same error message after steam updated.

I googled, so tried removing/uninstalling steam altogether (after backing up steamapps folder), restarting windows, installing steam again from the steam website.

This worked: I bought torchlight 2 (a week or so ago), played it once, switched off. Next time I logged in "could not connect to steam network" again.

Now, I tried both methods, completely uninstalling steam and reinstalling, tried administrator on the executable from the steam folder, tried win 7 compatibility mode and every suggestion I can find. Steam support keep sending me the copied and pasted methods mentioned above and its been weeks now.

Anyone on GAF help me out with any other options I have not tried? My last resort is a fresh win 7 install / format. Xcom comes out soon so Im panicking.

PS. My password and account details work fine (checked steampowered.com), I have steam guard installed and thats not an issue. Its after I enter the steam guard code it craps out.........

robbed

Neo Member
Did you try it from the web? You may be right, I hope not.

I can't personally try it because I lost my phone so they are sending me a check.

Try to access the site from your phone.

I tried both. Doing it from the phone doesn't bring up the wallet app. It's more or less the same web google wallet flow.

catabarez

Has anyone had problems with GFWL signing in really slowly? I tried deleting my profile and uninstalling and reinstalling GFWL, but I can't seem to fix it.

Collete

So does anyone have any impressions on Aquaria? I've noticed it while reading up about the Humble Indie Bundles and I watched the trailer on Steam. It looks pretty cool and interesting but I have never really heard much about it from others so I dunno if I want to take the plunge.

I played it and I personally liked it.

The game never really held your hand on where to go next which I kind of had a problem with at first, but it's actually a breath of fresh air.
There was plenty of side quest type of stuff to do, collecting treasures to add to your house, getting new abilities, etc.
The music was absolutely breath taking, I have no problems with it but there are 1-3 tracks that to some people sound like it's repeating (just in a form of a remix), but I had no problems with it.
Each track really sets the atmosphere of where you are, whether a boss fight or a specific area.
Story line is pretty nice (not too elaborate, but it gets you thinking) and there were twists I didn't see coming.
There wasn't many voice acting opportunities in the game (besides the narrator talking most of the time, but it's not too frequent where it annoys you) but it never felt out of place or out of character. It was well done.
Graphics and art design was beautiful, never found something that didn't look right. Everything was stunning down to a piece of coral.

My only problems with it is the map system can be a tad annoying and you have to travel very long distances to get to a teleport point. Some controls can be annoying if you're using a touch pad (customize of course).
However, I highly recommend you get it in my opinion. It's worth the ten dollars (or if you want to get it in a future bundle).

Nabs

I actually just started this guy up, really expecting to love it (seems like my style of game). But I'm actually having trouble getting into it just a few levels in. It looks and sounds great, but the controls just feel a bit unnatural. Like the distance needed to a wall / ceiling to wall run is a bit to wide and I keep sticking and unsticking from walls when I don't expect to. Might just take a bit more adjustment, but it's really not clicking for me yet.

The controls take some time to learn. Honestly, it took me a few hours to even like the game, and a few more to even get the concept of the scoring system. Have you tried switching up your control method? Some people like the keyboard or arcade stick. I like using the 360 analog stick.

Has anyone had problems with GFWL signing in really slowly? I tried deleting my profile and uninstalling and reinstalling GFWL, but I can't seem to fix it.

I had this problem and then it magically got fixed. All I did was sign into an offline account for a few minutes. Now it's super fast and I have no idea why.

jediyoshi

Came up empty handed for Skyrim for $10 at TRU. Glad I got home now and was able to purchase Skyrim from Steam for $35. Had exactly 30 mins left. If I had stopped for Thai food I would have missed out. Now to mod the shit out of this! Stuff like this is why I got a gaming PC. I am not the biggest fan of the combat in the game from my few hours from the PS3 version, but exploring the world is so relaxing I don't care. I can't even imagine how nice it will look when I get around to playing it later this weekend.

Still $27 on GMG ]:

I actually just started this guy up, really expecting to love it (seems like my style of game). But I'm actually having trouble getting into it just a few levels in. It looks and sounds great, but the controls just feel a bit unnatural. Like the distance needed to a wall / ceiling to wall run is a bit to wide and I keep sticking and unsticking from walls when I don't expect to. Might just take a bit more adjustment, but it's really not clicking for me yet.

Stick with it, it's one of those games that once you master the controls and move-set, you will feel unstoppable.

I was the same way, I started it up and dropped it like three times because it wouldn't click, then all of a sudden it did and it really gets better at that point.

I will say that it really helps to be pounding on some cherry switches in this game, (mechanical keyboard), and if I didn't have one I would probably use a pad.

I played it for an hour and then just got distracted and bored. The production values are great, but it just didn't grab me.

Another game off my backlog: Wolfenstein 2009. Cool 90s style FPS, BJ Blazkowicz is the best spy ever.

"Explore the caves"

*proceeds to shoot holes into everything*

sad he left Epic

In the last month or so since getting my new PC I've played and finished:

Assassin's Creed
Bastion
Binary Domain
Home
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
RAGE
Wolfenstein

It's been a good month.

You should play a good shooter.

Like Heretic.

King's Bounty The Legend, a game I don't own, is stuck in my downloading list paused. There is nothing that I can figure out to get rid of it. It's not listed in my games library to delete. I can't unpause the download and I can't cancel it. Anybody else have this issue? It's been like this for a while now.

Grief.exe

I tried both. Doing it from the phone doesn't bring up the wallet app. It's more or less the same web google wallet flow.

Damn, I was so excited about that too, always like hooking people up with free stuff. Oh well. Thanks for the tip.

If you update the app at this point, your pre-paid card will disappear, or if you uninstall/reinstall. If you call that number I listed earlier Google will send you a check.

Honestly takes about 10 minutes, that line is really fast and they know what they are doing. Can't argue with free money.

JaseC

I'm ok with that after 2. The way they handled that was just plain disrespectful to their fans.

As much as I enjoyed the game despite its faults (namely a sloppy port -- e.g. prior to patches, it would frequently freeze/crash when returning to the game from a menu) and my wanting to see what would eventuate after the ending of the original, the likelihood of a third instalment -- or rather, the lack thereof -- makes Vigil's decision to make Darksiders 2 a parallel sequel all the more frustrating.

You should play a good shooter.

Like Heretic.

And then play a good third-person action game.

Like Heretic II.

Nabs

Retro City Rampage is coming out on October 9th to PSN, Steam and GOG. It sounds like he's tired of waiting for Microsoft.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42872392&postcount=75

Retro City Rampage is finally launching October 9th on PS3 and PS Vita in North America and on PC / Steam / GOG worldwide. The European PS3 and PS Vita releases will follow later this month, WiiWare following shortly after that. The XBLA version is 99.9% ready to get out the door, but still waiting for a release slot.

I made the decision to release the game on each platform as soon as it's through certification rather than wait any longer in an attempt to achieve an absolutely simultaneous launch.

For a chance to play Retro City Rampage even sooner, head over to your nearest GameStop. The PS Vita version will be playable at GameStops across the United States starting this month, hopefully by the time you're reading this!

JaseC

GMG does region blocking?

Publishers have caught on and, for some, GMG is no longer the safe haven it once was:

- Region-specific pricing (e.g. THQ's games carry the Aussie Tax)
- Region-specific availability (e.g. Assassin's Creed 3 is available for pre-order in Europe but nowhere else)
- Region restrictions put on voucher codes due to "contractual obligations" (e.g. US customers cannot use such codes when purchasing X-COM)

Derrick01

Banned
Publishers have caught on and, for some, GMG is no longer the safe haven it once was:

- Region restrictions put on voucher codes due to "contractual obligations" (e.g. US customers cannot use such codes when purchasing X-COM)

I'm going to be pissed if that catches on. It was annoying enough that I had to get Xcom at full price. Don't make this a habit if you want my money at all publishers.

- Region-specific pricing (e.g. THQ's games carry the Aussie Tax)
- Region-specific availability (e.g. Assassin's Creed 3 is available for pre-order in Europe but nowhere else)

Handsome Jack has struck New Haven.

Croc

Banned
Why am I getting "Steam has to restart" because of a September 7 update, like 3-4 times per week?

Yeah I was wondering that same thing earlier today. I checked for updates cause of some reason I forget, and it said there was a new one from September 7th. I've definitely done that update at least 5 times.

JaseC

I'm going to be pissed if that catches on. It was annoying enough that I had to get Xcom at full price. Don't make this a habit if you want my money at all publishers.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for a test case, and that 2K chose the US rather than Australia. :p

Nabs

Any word on the PC version having support for kb&m or is this going to need a controller?

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. It's a game that probably uses 2 or 3 buttons and arrow keys for controls.

edit: "Supports Keyboard and/or Game Controllers/Joysticks, including Xbox 360, Logitech, etc. You can calibrate any other controller as well."

vidcons

Banned
Playing through The Witcher 2.

It is perfect.

Challenging combat with depth in augmentation and attack speed and range without circle strafing!? From Software is weeping at what they could have made.

Smash88

Banned
Hey guys there is totally not a key in this post (when you quote) that gets you:

Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown

Now there really isn't a key here. Enjoy!

M*A*S*H

The only one I want is wizorb. I'd feel like I was depriving someone else of the others. That's the one drawback with these bundle keys.

Phinor

Spec Ops: The line £5 at Gamefly: http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-Spec-Ops-The-Line/5004057/. No idea about US prices as I can't access the .com site. Registers on Steam.

Now to decide if I want to invest time into that game. I can't tolerate average shooters anymore regardless of other factors (story in this case). Just the other day I had to uninstall Future Soldier, it just felt like a waste of time when there are better games out there.

edit: Just noticed the other topic about the deal. Oh well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom