• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ok, the scan is over now and all four instances are the avutil-51.dll file which I have in more locations than those mentioned, basically Global Offensive\bin\ while it also seems to exist twice in the main \bin\ folder, I didn't know it's even possible to have two files with the same exact name in one folder. But yeah it does seem to be something the new definitions cause I guess, since some of these instances are older yet didn't cause problems previously. Unless of course they should have been detected before...

Derrick01

Banned
Ok, the scan is over now and all four instances are the avutil-51.dll file which I have in more locations than those mentioned, basically Global Offensive\bin\ while it also seems to exist twice in the main \bin\ folder, I didn't know it's even possible to have two files with the same exact name in one folder. But yeah it does seem to be something the new definitions cause I guess, since some of these instances are older yet didn't cause problems previously. Unless of course they should have been detected before...

It seems to be anything with that avutil thing in it, whatever that is. As I said ToR got it too for me. Here's the whole line

\Origin Games\Star Wars - The Old Republic\avutil-51.dll (Trojan.Fakesig)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
shit guys what if this was valve's endgame the whole time.

i'm sorry for doubting your noble intentions, EA

shit guys what if this was valve's endgame the whole time.

i'm sorry for doubting your noble intentions, EA

\Origin Games\Star Wars - The Old Republic\avutil-51.dll (Trojan.Fakesig)

They're all in it together. Better burn your computer now before the files change into their final form.

I have a quick question for any Dawn of War players. Out of the Dawn of War 2 games, which did you prefer and why? I had a lot of fun with DoW 1 but reading the reviews for 2 it seems that it's no longer army building and instead you just move a squad around reminiscent of frozen synapse (with some obvious differences, mainly the real time aspect).

Is there a go to game for 'optimum experience' in the DoW2 segment of the series?

I have a quick question for any Dawn of War players. Out of the Dawn of War 2 games, which did you prefer and why? I had a lot of fun with DoW 1 but reading the reviews for 2 it seems that it's no longer army building and instead you just move a squad around reminiscent of frozen synapse (with some obvious differences, mainly the real time aspect).

Is there a go to game for 'optimum experience' in the DoW2 segment of the series?

I'm not sure I would really compare it to Frozen Synapse, in many ways it's more like a lite-RTS version of something like Dragon Age; you're given a small squad of specific characters, each with unique abilities, and move through [mostly] linear levels killing waves of enemies in the hope of succeding on your end goal. Usually to destroy something or kill an end boss.

They're pretty fun, but you're right in that they're not really similar to the first DoW games. The 'optimal' version would be DoW2: Retribution as it's the latest and thus only version with online players [being Steamworks instead of GFWL helps], but if all three are within your price range and you care more about story the first two, particularly Chaos Rising, have superior single player campaigns.

Ledsen

I don't really seen any likeness to FS, like at all. It's more like an RTS combined with a party-based RPG. You have 4 squads that you control by yourself or split with a buddy. You've got the original campaign, Chaos Rising and Retribution. I've only played the first two but I think they're all pretty similar and the gameplay is pretty much the same. No reason not to start at the beginning.

Derrick01

Banned
So it seems like Malwarebytes fixed whatever the problem was in the latest definitions. Let's hope it was just a simple mistake and they didn't code it to ignore an actual problem :lol

I'm not sure I would really compare it to Frozen Synapse, in many ways it's more like a lite-RTS version of something like Dragon Age; you're given a small squad of specific characters, each with unique abilities, and move through [mostly] linear levels killing waves of enemies in the hope of succeding on your end goal. Usually to destroy something or kill an end boss.

They're pretty fun, but you're right in that they're not really similar to the first DoW games. The 'optimal' version would be DoW2: Retribution as it's the latest and thus only version with online players [being Steamworks instead of GFWL helps], but if all three are within your price range and you care more about story the first two, particularly Chaos Rising, have superior single player campaigns.

I don't really seen any likeness to FS, like at all. It's more like an RTS combined with a party-based RPG. You have 4 squads that you control by yourself or split with a buddy. You've got the original campaign, Chaos Rising and Retribution. I've only played the first two but I think they're all pretty similar and the gameplay is pretty much the same. No reason not to start at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies, my comparison to Frozen Synapse was mainly (hyperbole?) just to emphasise squad control and tactics (at least I hope tactics matter, using a strategy makes me feel smart :) ).

I was considering retribution for the reasons you listed, it's stand alone has all the races and most likely the most active user base. What I'd really love though is the updated graphics and all the races with the army/base building gameplay. I used to have so much fun designing bases in C&C then amassing troops and moving them out in formation (only to end up overwhelming the enemy by amount rather than any strategy).
Hopefully the demo for DoW2 finishes downloading and gives me a chance to check it out before the deal ends.

Edit: Was just thinking how much fun I'd have playing a Dawn of War Dota style game. With all the fiction in warhammer it'd be pretty easy sourcing a whole army of heroes to choose from.

So I'm like kinda loving this Steam Windows 8 skin.

windows_8___steam_skin_2_4_by_boneyardbrew-d4u3kjv.png

And in other news, Steam update is not working for me (with or without skin, in beta or out of it). I keep getting prompted to update Steam, but the update is the Sept 7th one. It's mildly annoying.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I'm like kinda loving this Steam Windows 8 skin.

windows_8___steam_skin_2_4_by_boneyardbrew-d4u3kjv.png

And in other news, Steam update is not working for me (with or without skin, in beta or out of it). I keep getting prompted to update Steam, but the update is the Sept 7th one. It's mildly annoying.
That looks great, got a link?

Relax.MX

I want a militar MP shooter (my last one was MW2) Battlefield 3 is still good? is 10 usd on Amazon, if i buy it there i can play it on Mexico?

I want a militar MP shooter (my last one was MW2) Battlefield 3 is still good? is 10 usd on Amazon, if i buy it there i can play it on Mexico?

Since it activates with Origin you should be good to go since I don't believe there are any region locks. Use the OCTOFUN1 promo code to get 25% off making it $7.50. Then again with regions there is no telling.

Salsa

wish the BF3 Premium stuff was on sale

been trying to get back with my buddies since now I can run the game on ultra at smooth 60fps but they're all playing the new dlc maps

ShaneB

wish the BF3 Premium stuff was on sale

been trying to get back with my buddies since now I can run the game on ultra at smooth 60fps but they're all playing the new dlc maps

You can use the gmg discount to get Premium for 37. I've been debating it.. but I've got so many other games to play :(

Relax.MX

Since it activates with Origin you should be good to go since I don't believe there are any region locks. Use the OCTOFUN1 promo code to get 25% off making it $7.50. Then again with regions there is no telling.

My question is because in my region never are a discount :( but for 7.5usd....mmmm i guess i need to do it...

Salsa

Spec Ops The Line has a surprisingly good (a bit bland, but with a nice twist) art direction so far.

Might just play this before Dishonored/XCOM hits

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You can fight it.

Your post in its original state was much more definitive. If I followed US politics, I could probably make an Obama joke! :p

Spec Ops The Line has a surprisingly good (a bit bland, but with a nice twist) art direction so far.

Might just play this before Dishonored/XCOM hits

Does the squad ordering mechanic encompass the entire game or are there solo moments?

I just remembered I got BF3 from IGN last year but never played it.

EA will probably remove the game from my account if I try to play it. Does anyone know if I will have any problem If I try to active another copy on my account?

Salsa

no proper inspector flag to force AA in Spec Ops? booooooooo :/

I guess i'll use the SMAA injector, but man what is it with PC games with no AA options. Shit.

Wow, Company of Heroes is awesome! The air strike explosions are very accurate visually and the sound as well. Can't believe i have been missing out on this game for a while.

Wow, Company of Heroes is awesome! The air strike explosions are very accurate visually and the sound as well. Can't believe i have been missing out on this game for a while.

Yeah, it really is. I've started a new playthrough this past week and I think I'm going to pre-order the sequel soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom