• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with your opinions of Knoxx. The driving back and forth is obnoxious, and the vehicle handling in the game is pretty suspect to begin with, so it's pretty painful. For some reason, people cite Knoxx as the best DLC of the game and that has me scratching my head.

As for Robot Revolution, I have some bad news for you. It's a little more like Ned in that there are proper, open maps where you can explore and do your main and sidequests. However, the sidequests are of the 'collect 350 broken parts of claptraps' which is pretty boring. The main quest is (spoiler, but not really, but still a spoiler)
a zerg rush of reanimated versions of all the bosses you've already fought throughout the game. There's very little thought put into the design. And one of the maps is a proper maze in which you will get lost. Not sure why it had to be like that except to pad out the time it takes to play it.
For what it's worth, I still thought Claptrap was better than Knoxx because it does have some cool areas and the design of the hub is neat. But yea, temper your expectations. It's also much shorter than Knoxx. What my friends and I did was to just power through the main missions for the sake of completion and then we were done with the game.
Oh, so the DLC for the game is either bad, boring, filled with SecuROM or a mix of all of them. Makes me sad I bought the GOTY edition then, but $5.61 is still cheap. I refuse to play the SecuROM DLC's, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As for Robot Revolution, I have some bad news for you. It's a little more like Ned in that there are proper, open maps where you can explore and do your main and sidequests. However, the sidequests are of the 'collect 350 broken parts of claptraps' which is pretty boring. The main quest is (spoiler, but not really, but still a spoiler)
a zerg rush of reanimated versions of all the bosses you've already fought throughout the game. There's very little thought put into the design. And one of the maps is a proper maze in which you will get lost. Not sure why it had to be like that except to pad out the time it takes to play it.
For what it's worth, I still thought Claptrap was better than Knoxx because it does have some cool areas and the design of the hub is neat. But yea, temper your expectations. It's also much shorter than Knoxx. What my friends and I did was to just power through the main missions for the sake of completion and then we were done with the game.

Thanks for the info. At least there's some good to offset the bad.

goodfella

So I started up Mafia 1..played the tutorial. Alright all good! Start new game..okay have to shake off guys.

Why can they go 20 MPH and I go like...10? They just beat the daylights out of me. This is lame. They can even PUSH my car at a stand still yet I can't PUSH them.

* I am just going to forget about this game. 12 restarts already. I am in AUTO so its not that. They can power through AI cars and just keep on me. This is not fun when I can't shake cause they obviously have a supercar and I drive a foot powered flintstone car.

Yeah, that bit is the worst first impression a game has ever left me. Awful.

yamo

Anyone who runs the steam community beta know if it is possible to add "your own" activity to the friend activity list? The "my activity" tab seem so incredibly barebones compared to the "friend activity" tab. :(

I agree with your opinions of Knoxx. The driving back and forth is obnoxious, and the vehicle handling in the game is pretty suspect to begin with, so it's pretty painful. For some reason, people cite Knoxx as the best DLC of the game and that has me scratching my head.

Gotta disagree with you guys, Borderlands DLC is my favorite DLC of any game ever. If you're just trying to power through for the sake of doing it, then yeah, I guess it would be kinda shitty. But if you're playing with your friends or even alone and just enjoying the new areas, exploring, leveling and looking for new loot then it's an absolute blast and provides hours upon hours of entertainment without ever getting stale. Me and my friends probably put 100 hours into the DLCs alone and thats after another 100 in the main game.

And claptrap is probably everyones favorite because it's hilarious, like most of the game. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

bigace33

Not to sound like a complete Johnny doorknob, but how can I simply gift someone my Portal 2 75% off coupon? I'm not seeing the option.

Giard

If I buy Forged Alliance, will I be missing anything from Supreme Commander?

Answering my own question:
Because it is a standalone expansion, it is possible to play without owning Supreme Commander, although without a valid CD Key for Supreme Commander online play is limited to the new faction, the Seraphim.

Durante

I bought Alan Wake when the deal started on Thursday and have been playing it for 10 hours or so. Really enjoyable game, the atmosphere is fantastic (in no small part due to the really good lighting and smoke). Gameplay is a bit too heavy on the combat IMHO, but other than that some of the best pacing I've ever seen in a game.

If you haven't picked it up yet I recommend, particularly at the current price.

I bought Alan Wake when the deal started on Thursday and have been playing it for 10 hours or so. Really enjoyable game, the atmosphere is fantastic (in no small part due to the really good lighting and smoke). Gameplay is a bit too heavy on the combat IMHO, but other than that some of the best pacing I've ever seen in a game.

If you haven't done so, try turning off the HUD. It really made the game feel a lot better for me. You can find your away around without the mini map by just moving towards the lights.

It'll be interesting to see what goes up. Are you able to make a page whenever or do you need to have the game put together already?

From the Steam Greenlight page:

Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and videos for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game as early in the development process as they like.

tci

I wish I had the same experience. Not impressed at all. The game design seems very lazy. With predictable spawns etc and not very tense. Just done with episode 1, but unsure about continuing because it didn't engage me at all :/

Blizzard

Banned
The Supreme Commander double-pack looks cheap, interesting, and well-rated. Is there any hidden gotcha I should know about? Otherwise I'm going to grab them. :D

Nabs

If you haven't done so, try turning off the HUD. It really made the game feel a lot better for me. You can find your away around without the mini map by just moving towards the lights.

No HUD is the way to roll, and remember to check the chapter select if you want to try out the DLC.

Anybody else can't wait to vote the shit out of Call of Duty bootlegs indie games once Steam Greenlight hits?

Yep, really looking forward to that starting. I've e-mailed some developers already to make sure they're aware of it and to see if they plan on trying to get their game(s) on Steam.

Gotta disagree with you guys, Borderlands DLC is my favorite DLC of any game ever. If you're just trying to power through for the sake of doing it, then yeah, I guess it would be kinda shitty. But if you're playing with your friends or even alone and just enjoying the new areas, exploring, leveling and looking for new loot then it's an absolute blast and provides hours upon hours of entertainment without ever getting stale. Me and my friends probably put 100 hours into the DLCs alone and thats after another 100 in the main game.

And claptrap is probably everyones favorite because it's hilarious, like most of the game. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

What are your thoughts on the fact that half of the Knoxx DLC is basically driving back and forth on the same straight road over and over and over ad nauseum? I mean, if you can get hours of enjoyment out of that, more power to you, but when I realized that they used such lame design to pad the length of the content, my opinion of it dropped drastically. And that's why I powered through Claptrap, because I was coming off one of the worst DLCs I've ever played and by that point I just wanted Borderlands to be over. There's no way I was going to do the grindy sidequests. And that's a shame because the game itself was loads of fun, especially since I played it with friends all the way through. But all the DLCs had design choices to mask the fact that there was very little real content and a lot of padding.

I will agree that the Claptrap DLC was the funniest part of the game though.

In other news, I got weak and pre-ordered CS:GO. /shame

Yep, really looking forward to that starting. I've e-mailed some developers already to make sure they're aware of it and to see if they plan on trying to get their game(s) on Steam.

Nice. I can see this becoming pretty huge for indie gaming. So many indie games featured on RPS and indiegames.com that deserve to be on Steam.

So, I finally completed The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (Borderlands DLC #3) earlier tonight. Christ, what a hopelessly uninspired and lazily-designed campaign. The individual maps are rather large, but there are no additional fast travel stations, so at times you're forced to drive from the opening map to another map that is two or three transitions away, and there are points along the way where you're forced to continue on foot; so what should take 20 seconds with a fast travel station ultimately chews ~10 minutes. Even worse is that this padding permeates to some of the quests, with you being required to complete certain tasks two or three times (Marcus' armory runs being the most obvious example).

There is one thing I did like, though, and that was the inclusion of an optional uber-boss. By the time I accepted the quest, I was still ~15 levels behind the level the quest is tailored for, so I decided to just use a trainer... which ended up being a bit of a mistake, as I didn't level up enough before killing the boss, so I couldn't (and still can't) use the loot he dropped. Oops.

With DLC #3 out of the way, all that's left is the fourth and final DLC campaign. Please tell me Claptrap's New Robot Revolution is a smaller, more focused affair a la The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (which I actually enjoyed).

An easy solution for the driving back and forth is to just quit to the main menu and come back into the game. It resets you to the middle area of the DLC every time.

The lack of fast travel in the DLC's is really annoying and seems to be a flaw in the games DLC system or something rather than them simply not including it.

From what I remember the Claptrap DLC's structure is a lot better than Knoxx, but maybe not quite as good as Dr. Ned.

I never made it past the start either. Maybe it's considered blasphemy, but you certainly don't need to play Mafia 1 to absolutely love Mafia 2. I'm proof of that.

The start is hard a bit, you have to do alot of turns, then drive straight or drive up a hill, basically try to glitch it somehow. Find a save past the first mission if you have to, the game holds up well. The only thing difficult or tedious about the game is the no checkpoints when driving to a mission other than that the mission variety and the general story is pretty well made.

I stopped playing Mafia 2 after the fuel ticket mission. It has the atmosphere of the first but I just felt something was missing that I liked about the first. I'll try to get back into it one day.

JustinBB7

Just finished Rage, fun game, ran great on my computer as well. Was afraid it wouldn't after hearing a lot of people had trouble getting it to run properly.

I laughed hard at the ending though.
Yeah go into their base and upload this thing here, then we can get all the ark guys and we will have an army! Then we can defeat the authority!

*uploads code* *Credits roll*

Seriously laughed my ass off.

goodfella

WTF at the witcher 2 credits.

I'm watching them now, they go on for so long. They list every localisation.

And at the beginning they tell you to watch the credits to see the ending. Jesus.

Edit: Ok, finished the credits, watched the final scene.

For anyone who may care, just skip the credits and watch the scene on youtube. Or don't watch it at all, nothing happens tbh.

JesseZao

Which tool is recommended for moving games to and from my SSD from my HDD (between the two in the OP)? Both look similar on first glance, just wondering if one tends to be more stable/convenient.

What are your thoughts on the fact that half of the Knoxx DLC is basically driving back and forth on the same straight road over and over and over ad nauseum? I mean, if you can get hours of enjoyment out of that, more power to you, but when I realized that they used such lame design to pad the length of the content, my opinion of it dropped drastically. And that's why I powered through Claptrap, because I was coming off one of the worst DLCs I've ever played and by that point I just wanted Borderlands to be over. There's no way I was going to do the grindy sidequests. And that's a shame because the game itself was loads of fun, especially since I played it with friends all the way through. But all the DLCs had design choices to mask the fact that there was very little real content and a lot of padding.

I will agree that the Claptrap DLC was the funniest part of the game though.

I had no problem with the road. It's really not that long and you can haul ass if you're in a hurry. You gotta figure I was playing this DLC 6 months after finishing the main game, so I was ready for more and wasn't even close to being burned out.

I disagree with the content, the story missions are pretty short, but you can easily spend a shitload of time in those areas doing the sidequests, leveling, tons of loot everywhere and 2 playthrus of each DLC. I soaked it up and didn't want the DLCs to end.

dot

Anyone else having problems with the the new Nickname function? All it says when i right click on a friend is #Friends_SetNickname. And when i press it a black rectangle pops up but i can't do anything with that.

Beta is beta i guess. *shrug*

JordanKZ

Anyone else having problems with the the new Nickname function? All it says when i right click on a friend is #Friends_SetNickname. And when i press it a black rectangle pops up but i can't do anything with that.

Beta is beta i guess. *shrug*

Known bug, try updating to the latest steam beta in settings.

Caerith

Which tool is recommended for moving games to and from my SSD from my HDD (between the two in the OP)? Both look similar on first glance, just wondering if one tends to be more stable/convenient.
I've only used Steam Mover. It does exactly what it's supposed to.

Sysgen

Can I have the old Blotter back please. Don't want to look at screenshots for games I have not played yet plus I just liked the conciseness of the old Blotter.

Revoh

Can someone buy me Alan Wake the complete pack for 9.99$?
I can PayPal you 12.50$ right away :)
Edit: Got it, thanks Mr. Grape!

Blizzard

Banned
English Country Tune continues to warp my mind in new and entertaining ways. It keeps introducing some mechanic, you go "Oh, that's easy in 2D", and then the next world does the same thing but in 3D. I think I have completed a little more than 4 worlds now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom