• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
That's quite a unqiue game. There's a guy here (Toma I think?) who likes introducing people to that game, and maybe he can chime in with some help.

If I recall correctly, the early levels -are- tutorials of sorts, but it's a matter of figuring out how each block works and then how you can use those blocks to build bigger things.

Yeah I checked out the OT and found a post by Oneiroscope that explained what the objective was. I felt really dumb after seeing it haha.

I'm getting better. Just trial and error taught me some lessons.

I just jumped into SpaceChem though, and I have no idea what I'm doing. There is no tutorial at all and I'm completely lost.

That's quite a unqiue game. There's a guy here (Toma I think?) who likes introducing people to that game, and maybe he can chime in with some help.

If I recall correctly, the early levels -are- tutorials of sorts, but it's a matter of figuring out how each block works and then how you can use those blocks to build bigger things.

I jumped into this recently also, I would recommend checking out different solutions for the same puzzle on youtube (as in watching 2 or 3 ways of doing the same thing) which helped me get ideas for solving future problems using similar strategies.

There's the 'circuit' method where I create a track that goes around in a loop, and the 'track' method (as i call it) where you use a straight line with an arrow at each end to send the waldo back along the same track, finally there's the sub/dom method where one waldo goes around on the side performing functions while the other waldo does the work of moving the elements.

My only problem with the game is that it gets complicated really quick and my simple brain just looks at the desired output and can't figure out where to begin.

Blizzard

Banned
SpaceChem reminds me a bit not so much of programming, as of VLSI design, if anyone here took electrical engineering classes.

I had a class where we started out doing simple stuff, like making a transistor. You learn how the different semiconductor layer strips stack on each other, the software checks to make sure your layers all work out, you try to use as few layers as possible, and you simulate to make sure the circuit works.

Then, you move up to gates. Put several transistors together and you could get an AND logic gate! That gets analyzed, simulated, etc. But what if you put logic gates together to make a circuit, all in a row, with the metal layers connecting with each other...

...then by the end of the semester, I think we were laying out something like a 8-bit (or 16-32, I forget) memory circuit, and you look at this mess you've created, and you're zoomed so far out you can barely see those tiny little transistor strips you started learning at the beginning. Sadly I don't think I ever figured out how to finish the final semester project, so my memory circuit only partially worked or whatever. :p Still, it was a sort of cool, if stressful, experience.

For SpaceChem I think it's important to think that way, remembering to break the complicated overall task down into simpler individual tasks, some of which you've probably already solved before.

camerooni

Neo Member
Geneforge Saga pay what you want deal, need to pay at least 1$ for GOG/Steam keys.

https://indiegamestand.com/

Woot.. 5 more games for the game count..

The UI is hard to swallow at the start.. but the games seem decent if a little clunky.. though I"ll probably never have the time to fully appreciate them this is an extremely good deal! It's good for Jeff too as he just got $2 from me he never would have otherwise and it makes me interested in keeping an eye out for future Spiderweb stuff.

EDIT: Actually that sounds really cheap of me as it's still an awesome price at the recommended $10 - but only so much time, and this Steam list won't extend itself ;) Though judging from the amount of free stuff flying back and forward.. maybe it does.

This is my last chance, so I need some advice guys, I saw some Saints Row 2 gameplay videos, and I liked what I saw, but I don't know if should buy it right now (it's $5) or I should wait for Winter sales and get it cheaper (I remember that it was $3.74)?

dani_dc

I beat X-Blades.

:D

I'm planning to give it a go just as soon as I'm done with Demon's Souls.
How long did it take you to finish it?

This is my last chance, so I need some advice guys, I saw some Saints Row 2 gameplay videos, and I liked what I saw, but I don't know if should buy it right now (it's $5) or I should wait for Winter sales and get it cheaper (I remember that it was $3.74)?

If you're planning to play it right away then pick it now, otherwise wait for the Winter sale, it will surely be on sale again and I would say it has a good chance of being 75% off.

If you're planning to play it right away then pick it now, otherwise wait for the Winter sale, it will surely be on sale again and I would say it has a good chance of being 75% off.

Ok thank you bro... I think I'm gonna wait! :D

Tess3ract

Banned
4.5 hours according to steam.

if you want the good ending, don't spend ANY souls on buying the "dark spells" in the game. Otherwise you get the bad ending.

In other news:

Geneforge is a good series, everyone should play it!

ugh Dishonored reviews came out....making it extremely difficult to not buy this. Especially with Borderlands2 taking up all of my time

GMG still has the 25% off right...?

dammit for everything good coming out at the end of the year...

Derrick01

Banned
ugh Dishonored reviews came out....making it extremely difficult to not buy this. Especially with Borderlands2 taking up all of my time

GMG still has the 25% off right...?

dammit for everything good coming out at the end of the year...

Yup the offer is still going.

Joe Molotov

I'm waiting on Dishonored because I really have way too many games on my plate right now.

Haha, "too many games".

TGAtq.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
One day he's going to be sitting there in front of his computer with a sad expression on his face, and someone's going to ask what's wrong and he'll be like

I beat every game on Steam. :(
I don't buy stuff at the rate I used to so no. I will be sitting there one day smiling because I carry no guilt for idiotic purchases.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do you beat the novels you read as well?

This does pose the question though:

If a person only read as much of a novel as a gamer typically plays of a game, would we consider that person an avid reader?

Imagine someone who only reads 25% to 50% of a novel claiming they're a hardcore reader, and, worse, having opinions on the books he's started but never completed.

Blizzard

Banned
This does pose the question though:

If a person only read as much of a novel as a gamer typically plays of a game, would we consider that person an avid reader?

Imagine someone who only reads 25% to 50% of a novel claiming they're a hardcore reader, and, worse, having opinions on the books he's started but never completed.
I don't know the name of the comedian, but someone had a segment on videogames that I liked, where they were talking about how videogames were one of the only forms of media that punishes you if you try to partake of it incorrectly. Like a book preventing you from reading further if you weren't good enough.

I don't know the name of the comedian, but someone had a segment on videogames that I liked, where they were talking about how videogames were one of the only forms of media that punishes you if you try to partake of it incorrectly. Like a book preventing you from reading further if you weren't good enough.

Nope, that's not what that word means. Gotta start from the beginning!

Chronoja

Bilix

Oh what? I thought the THQ sale was continuing on Monday but it's over. Was waiting to see if they would have a day with a deeper Darksiders discount but now they're both back to regular price. I'm a little bummed out since I was going to buy them both.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. They have their moments, but with any significantly improved sequel in a series, it can be hard to go back, or start at the beginning if you want to get into the series. And since he's already played Blood Money, the worth of playing the previous games is severely diminished. I can understand if you're curious about the changes or something, but even then you won't have to play the entire thing. If you really want to be caught up, I'd just watch a Let's Play at this point.
That said, I'm getting increasingly practical about the time I invest into games, just because I have to.
Yeah, think I'll watch a Let's Play of the first gamed. I'll start Hitman 2, play the first mission and call it a day. Thanks for the advice!

1-D_FTW

I don't buy stuff at the rate I used to so no. I will be sitting there one day smiling because I carry no guilt for idiotic purchases.

For ultimate satisfaction, you can hang a Winner sign above your computer.

Sadly, I'll always be a loser because there are certain games I will absolutely refuse to play. And it's cheating to not count them.

I do blame gaf solely for this. Because even if you discount indie bundles, there are certain games in my library I can only shake my head at. Games that should have never, ever, in a million years, been placed in my shopping cart. And my library is tiny compared to many in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom