• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
FTL is so awesome. Bought it from the Humble store and I got a Steam key as well as a DRM copy of the game for Windows, Linux and Mac. So sick

Blizzard

Banned
FTL is so awesome. Bought it from the Humble store and I got a Steam key as well as a DRM copy of the game for Windows, Linux and Mac. So sick
You were the one asking for small, good game recommendations, right? I'm glad you enjoyed what we suggested! :D

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
GAF was right, I enjoyed Saints Row 3 a lot. I just beat it (well, the story at least), after a little over 11 hours across 3 days. I still have many things left to do, I barely did any side missions, but I'll get to it when the mood strikes.

Now I'm thinking of playing the Hitman games. I'm at the 3rd mission of the first one, but I'm not enjoying it. Should I skip it and start the sequel?

xJavonta

Banned
Goddamnit, FTL is kicking my ass. Is there some secret to not sucking at the beginning? I'm currently on my 4th game because I keep losing all my crew members from battles or lack of oxygen from damage taken in battles.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I played Blood Money a couple of years ago and loved it, but I want to give the older games a chance. Codename 47 had it (and wasted it), so it'd be fair if Silent Assassin had it too. Do you really think it's not worth it at all? If not, maybe I'll carry on with the Red Faction series, I liked the first one.

Rufus

why? the old one's are great too.
Eh. They have their moments, but with any significantly improved sequel in a series, it can be hard to go back, or start at the beginning if you want to get into the series. And since he's already played Blood Money, the worth of playing the previous games is severely diminished. I can understand if you're curious about the changes or something, but even then you won't have to play the entire thing. If you really want to be caught up, I'd just watch a Let's Play at this point.
That said, I'm getting increasingly practical about the time I invest into games, just because I have to.

Blizzard

Banned
Goddamnit, FTL is kicking my ass. Is there some secret to not sucking at the beginning? I'm currently on my 4th game because I keep losing all my crew members from battles or lack of oxygen from damage taken in battles.
It's definitely a difficult game, even on "easy". Make sure you check out some of the posts in the thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491849) with people asking similar things. I think one general thing, aside from learning the main tricks about keeping your crew and ship alive, is that doing well in the game depends on you adapting to what the game gives you each time. If you plan to do focus everything towards powerful lasers, but then the shops give you lots of drone parts instead, you might do really badly, compared to someone who adapts their strategy to fit with the things they find.

However I haven't beaten the game, so people in the official thread can probably give you better advice. :p

RedSwirl

I already have a copy of the first Thief from GamersGate. I is it worth buying it again off of this Steam sale? Does the GG version have no DRM attached?

mannerbot

Free Thief Collection for the first person to post a picture of their favorite stealth moment in any game.

NuqDO.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of free things:

Alien Breed 2 #1
Alien Breed 2 #2
Alien Breed 2 #3
Alien Breed 2 #4

Alien Breed 3 #1
Alien Breed 3 #2
Alien Breed 3 #3
Alien Breed 3 #4

Broken Sword: Director's Cut #1
Broken Sword: Director's Cut #2
Broken Sword: Director's Cut #3
Broken Sword: Director's Cut #4

Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror #1
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror #2
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror #3
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror

Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon #1
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon #2
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon #3
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon

Worms #1
Worms #2
Worms #3
Worms #4

Worms Blast #1
Worms Blast #2
Worms Blast #3
Worms Blast #4

Worms Crazy Golf #1
Worms Crazy Golf #2
Worms Crazy Golf #3
Worms Crazy Golf #4

Worms Pinball #1
Worms Pinball #2
Worms Pinball #3
Worms Pinball #4

Edit: No doubt many of these will be pinched by lurkers, but nonetheless it would preferable if you posted when you've used a key (either successfully or unsuccessfully [Steam will mention if a key has already been used]) so I can keep the list updated -- no need to quote this post, just mention which particular one you've used (or attempted to use) and I'll cross it off.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Edit: No doubt many of these will be pinched by lurkers, but nonetheless it would preferable if you posted when you've used a key (either successfully or unsuccessfully [Steam will mention if a key has already been used]) so I can keep the list updated -- no need to quote this post, just mention which particular one you've used (or attempted to use) and I'll cross it off.

Thanks, I took one each of the Broken Swords (I think i took the last ones for each broken sword)

Buy or not to buy Saints Row 2, that's the question, any advise?

Or should I wait for Winter Sales?

If you mean 3? It'll probably be a couple of bucks cheaper later, but it is well worth that price and you can have fun with it now. If you mean 2? Then no buy 3.

If you were asking if JaseC is awesome? Then the answer is also yes (for worms #3)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Speaking of free things:
Are you fucking kidding me, Steam? Locked me out after ONE dupe?

Worms Golf 4 and maybe 3 (do you even know if it's taken when you're locked out?) are taken btw

If you mean 3? It'll probably be a couple of bucks cheaper later, but it is well worth that price and you can have fun with it now. If you mean 2? Then no buy 3.

If you were asking if JaseC is awesome? Then the answer is also yes (for worms #3)

Well I'm playing right now SR3, but I saw some gameplay and I really liked it, but I don't know if I buy it or wait to be cheaper (last winter sale was 75% off)

JaseC

Are you fucking kidding me, Steam? Locked me out after ONE dupe?

Worms Golf 4 and maybe 3 (do you even know if it's taken when you're locked out?) are taken btw

Nope. There's a particular message in the event of attempting to activate a used key.

Edit: D'oh, forgot to switch tabs.

Dice

Well, I guess it didn't lock me out for long at all. Weird new system in place or something.

Worms Golf #2 was gone but I got #1.

vazel

Banned
What do you people mean by locked out? Steam is giving me an 'invalid product code' error to everything now. I bought the bemine bundle and it's giving me that error message when I try to activate X-Blades. Is it because I tried spamming in all those keys JaseC posted?

What do you people mean by locked out? Steam is giving me an 'invalid product code' error to everything now. I bought the bemine bundle and it's giving me that error message when I try to activate X-Blades. Is it because I tried spamming in all those keys JaseC posted?
Yep, failed attempts will make all key redemptions invalid for a certain time. Just gotta wait it out.

JaseC

What do you people mean by locked out? Steam is giving me an 'invalid product code' error to everything now. I bought the bemine bundle and it's giving me that error message too. Is it because I tried spamming in all those keys JaseC posted?

Exactly that, which tends to make many-key giveaways a pain in the arse since -- thanks to thankless lurkers -- it's not immediately clear which keys have or have not been used. It's temporary, though (the cooldown period is about an hour, IIRC).

Dice

If you enter too many keys that are duplicates, your steam account gets locked for a while (minutes? an hour?) in some mysterious manner. For that time you can't register even valid keys.

Edit: Well this was redundant... uhhh... how about that Bemine deal? Strangers Wrath and Tropico 3 are tempting, but I'm still not sure...

xJavonta

Banned
It's definitely a difficult game, even on "easy". Make sure you check out some of the posts in the thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491849) with people asking similar things. I think one general thing, aside from learning the main tricks about keeping your crew and ship alive, is that doing well in the game depends on you adapting to what the game gives you each time. If you plan to do focus everything towards powerful lasers, but then the shops give you lots of drone parts instead, you might do really badly, compared to someone who adapts their strategy to fit with the things they find.

However I haven't beaten the game, so people in the official thread can probably give you better advice. :p

I'm getting better. Just trial and error taught me some lessons.

I just jumped into SpaceChem though, and I have no idea what I'm doing. There is no tutorial at all and I'm completely lost.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm getting better. Just trial and error taught me some lessons.

I just jumped into SpaceChem though, and I have no idea what I'm doing. There is no tutorial at all and I'm completely lost.
That's quite a unqiue game. There's a guy here (Toma I think?) who likes introducing people to that game, and maybe he can chime in with some help.

If I recall correctly, the early levels -are- tutorials of sorts, but it's a matter of figuring out how each block works and then how you can use those blocks to build bigger things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom