• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got all my STeam stuff on an external HDD. Does anyone have any idea how to make an application on a HDD run automatically the moment the HDD is connected to the PC? ie. I want my PC to run Steam as soon as I attach my HDD.

If the user has his CC info saved in his account, a hacker that gets access to it could buy games as gifts and send them to his own account.

Another thing which could pretty easily be remedied by either Valve or the card issuer, because it leaves a huge paper trail.

The main thing people are scared of when they say OMG don't hack my Steam account, is losing access to their purchased games forever, and I seriously doubt Valve would rule on the side of the thief if it was indeed purely a 3rd party that hacked it and the person didn't sell the account etc.

Lol ok let's just say thank goodness for Steam Guard.

Or preorder at Getgamesgo and get an exclusive level. It's the map based on the layout of the Eurogamer Expo, I played it at the expo and it was dead fun!

Oh, thanks for the heads-up.

looks like adventure game Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes is coming to Steam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJLv0pGt2Cc

Kinda odd if the previous game in the series isn't coming also. But it seems to be included free on Adventureshop as a "bonus" so maybe it will be that way on Steam as well?

Good to see more Daedalic adventures coming to Steam. Hope the first game is included.

Tobe

guys i got this email from steam, and i dont know what it is about. can somebody care to explain?

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name:xxxxxx

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

guys i got this email from steam, and dont know what it is about.

You redeemed a code, someone else tried to redeem that code, and pressed the "retrieve account info" or whatever it's called button when it told them it's a duplicate code.

Nothing to worry about. I got like 60 of them when I got The Basement Collection off Edmund's blog...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
guys i got this email from steam, and i dont know what it is about. can somebody care to explain?

It means someone redeemed a duplicated code that you redeemed beforehand. The person who tries to redeem the duplicated code gets the option to have an email sent to the redeemer. It probably happened if you redeemed one of the free codes given earlier in this thread. Nothing to worry about unless you've never redeemed a public/free code

Tobe

You redeemed a code, someone else tried to redeem that code, and pressed the "retrieve account info" or whatever it's called button when it told them it's a duplicate code.

Nothing to worry about. I got like 60 of them when I got The Basement Collection off Edmund's blog...

thanks, for a moment i got paraonid and changed all my passwords.

Stoof

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but can anybody recommend me some good Steam RTS games along the vein of Age of Empires?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How do people scam? Tell them to go to a site and send their credentials through a mockup login page? I assume no Steamguard enabled?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but can anybody recommend me some good Steam RTS games along the vein of Age of Empires?

Age of Empires 3 is on there, if you were looking for something like that I'd probably recommend Dota 2 even though it doesn't really count.

Oil Rush is a good one, looks really pretty. Total War series?

You mean Medieval with base building though? I'd probably just track down Age of Mythology, man I love that game.

Stoof

Age of Empires 3 is on there, if you were looking for something like that I'd probably recommend Dota 2 even though it doesn't really count.

Oil Rush is a good one, looks really pretty. Total War series?

You mean Medieval with base building though? I'd probably just track down Age of Mythology, man I love that game.

Oh shit you just reminded me I have Age of Mythology somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. I also did notice AoE3 but $40 was a little steep for me. Thanks for your help though!

Oh shit you just reminded me I have Age of Mythology somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. I also did notice AoE3 but $40 was a little steep for me. Thanks for your help though!

I played it recently, it looks gorgeous, it has this old world game design fidelity that really makes it stand out.

Fantomex

no, dude, no

Seriously I tried playing DOTA the other day...

taxM5hMksk-jfnWFlZEnYg2.jpg

TheBez

Steam-gaf I come to you begging for your help! I have uninstalled and reinstalled steam many, many times over trying to resolve my problem. My problem stems from the fact that a few weeks ago Steam was not working well so I reinstalled it and when I had most of my installed games did not show up as installed. Now I know how to verify game cache files, but when I attempt to load up the games properties, go to the local files tab, and verify them all the option are greyed out and unable to be clicked! Help me Steam-gaf you are my only hope! PM me please!

A copy of Portal, Nuclear Dawn, and Half-Life Deathmatch to the kind soul who can help. I know it's not much, but It is what I can give!

Steam-gaf I come to you begging for your help! I have uninstalled and reinstalled steam many, many times over trying to resolve my problem. My problem stems from the fact that a few weeks ago Steam was not working well so I reinstalled it and when I had most of my installed games did not show up as installed. Now I know how to verify game cache files, but when I attempt to load up the games properties, go to the local files tab, and verify them all the option are greyed out and unable to be clicked! Help me Steam-gaf you are my only hope! PM me please!

A copy of Portal, Nuclear Dawn, and Half-Life Deathmatch to the kind soul who can help. I know it's not much, but It is what I can give!
Did you backup your steamapps folder before uninstalling? When you uninstall Steam it completely nukes your game data.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Did you backup your steamapps folder before uninstalling? When you uninstall Steam it completely nukes your game data.

This. You can try to use Recuva or other similar hard drive forensics tools to recover whatever hasn't been overwritten (make sure you go to the options menu and check to have it recover with the proper file folder structure. It may not be able to get everything, especially depending on how long it has been and how much activity the computer has seen but it could save you some download time. You will most likely have to still download some chunks of games or verify half recovered files too.

Does anyone know how SecuROM works on Arkham Asylum GOTY?

I want to uninstall the game but not before I revoke/deactivate it (does this have a limit too?). I have no clue about this shit.

Stupid WB...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes when I reinstalled Steam I deleted everything but the steamapps folder which I had moved.

Have you tried installing the games? Steam looks for existing data when initialising the installation of game.

I want to uninstall the game but not before I revoke/deactivate it (does this have a limit too?). I have no clue about this shit.

Stupid WB...

http://download.securom.com/support/batmanaa/revokebatmanaa.zip (I assume this works with the GoTY Edition. I can't test it myself since I don't have the game installed.)

Echoplx

Just go through the normal install process and Steam should check for existing installed files, it's gonna take a while but it's probably the only way.

Stupid WB...

What I did was create a shortcut to the executable file and add /revoke at the end of the path and then run it. A window should pop up and ask if you want to revoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom