• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBez

Just go through the normal install process and Steam should check for existing installed files, it's gonna take a while but it's probably the only way.

I went to install some games, but since the process was taking so long I feared it was just redownloading everything. So it's good to know that this is the way that will work, albeit time consuming. Thank you! If any of you want the games I offered, let me know you were all so helpful!

I went to install some games, but since the process was taking so long I feared it was just redownloading everything. So it's good to know that this is the way that will work, albeit time consuming. Thank you! If any of you want the games I offered, let me know you were all so helpful!

I think it has something to do with the new content system. I too have had my issues with it.

Are betas on Steam generally not removed when the beta is over? I still have Awesomenauts beta in my library which is totally useless and that makes me hesistant to try Chivalry.

kami_sama

Are betas on Steam generally not removed when the beta is over? I still have Awesomenauts beta in my library which is totally useless and that makes me hesistant to try Chivalry.
It will have a "Purchase" button. You only have to uninstall the beta and it will disappear from your list.

Ledsen

What are opinions on Anno 2070? I'm in a strategy game kick right now and this one intrigued me.

The Anno games are some of the best city builders out there. Simply brilliant, although 1404 has a more charming setting (and the gameplay is pretty much the same, at least I assume so since I haven't played 2070).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Anno games are some of the best city builders out there. Simply brilliant, although 1404 has a more charming setting (and the gameplay is pretty much the same, at least I assume so since I haven't played 2070).

WRT 2070 the DRM should be mentioned. It's always-online and if I remember correctly someone mentioned that the always-online element is tied into the gameplay so even if they disabled you still wouldn't be able to play effectively while not online. Am I correct in saying that?

Ledsen

WRT 2070 the DRM should be mentioned. It's always-online and if I remember correctly someone mentioned that the always-online element is tied into the gameplay so even if they disabled you still wouldn't be able to play effectively while not online. Am I correct in saying that?

Oh God, I forgot about that... yeah, all the more reason to get 1404+Venice instead.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yes -- full functionality of the Ark requires online connectivity:

Anno 2070 @ Wikia said:

I assume it's for this reason that while Ubi has backed away from online permanence for DRM purposes, Anno 2070 has not been patched accordingly... and likely never will be.

benjipwns

Banned
Does anyone know how SecuROM works on Arkham Asylum GOTY?

I want to uninstall the game but not before I revoke/deactivate it (does this have a limit too?). I have no clue about this shit.

Stupid WB...
In the "Tools" there's a license revoke tool. Or at least there is for normal AA.

benjipwns

Banned
You just run it.

No idea if you have to do it with the game installed or not.

EDIT: From checking around, guess you run it after you uninstalled. Or before you install again.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh God, I forgot about that... yeah, all the more reason to get 1404+Venice instead.

1404 still has to be patched, and not all versions with Venice can be patched. The only Anno game that I think didn't have additional DRM on Steam was 1701 and it's been removed entirely from the looks of it.

camerooni

Neo Member
I know this is a pretty minor gripe.. with there being a search box and all.. but I wish Steam would do something about the new release listings for different regions.

XCOM is now out in America, as a result it has been removed from the Upcoming Games list, it doesn't show on the New Releases since it isn't available to us so hasn't been released until the 11th and as a result also doesn't show on the Top Sellers list..

I always look at these lists on the front page to grab a link to send to a mate about a new game coming out - as it is at the moment.. people from outside the US looking at the page today wouldn't know that XCOM was coming out in two days unless they directly searched for it by title or lucked upon it being one of the first things to load into the slider..

(Also.. I wish there were left and right arrows on the screenshots in the store page like the front page slider)

It should be mentioned that not only is there a persistent online requirement for some functionality in Anno 2070, its DRM is such that it binds itself to your current hardware configuration. If you do something silly like change the GPU you lose a activation, something someone rudely discovered while merely trying to benchmark the performance of the game. I believe you have 5 lifetime activations, after that you have to contact Ubisoft technical support to gain further licenses. I do not know if that has changed/patched since release.

Regardless of its quality, I would not purchase Anno 2070 unless it could be acquired at a significant discount.

DagsJT

It should be mentioned that not only is there a persistent online requirement for some functionality in Anno 2070, its DRM is such that it binds itself to your current hardware configuration. If you do something silly like change the GPU you lose a activation, something someone rudely discovered while merely trying to benchmark the performance of the game. I believe you have 5 lifetime activations, after that you have to contact Ubisoft technical support to gain further licenses. I do not know if that has changed/patched since release.

Regardless of its quality, I would not purchase Anno 2070 unless it could be acquired at a significant discount.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they scrapped that a few months ago?

dani_dc

Actually 3 activations, and the reply Ubisoft support gave was " 'Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to 3 hardware changes and there simply is no way to bypass that. We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you'."

I am unsure if that change and they give you further activations if you contact them or not.

Thankfully changing the GPU (or RAM) no longer counts as an Activation, but other alterations to the hardware still do.

JaseC

Barely:

Guru3D said:

The activation limit is still three, as far as I can tell. Also, Guru3D mentioned earlier that, while it was ultimately successful, having the used activations revoked/activation limit raised required some back-and-forth, which to me suggests that contacting Ubi/BB and requesting this be done isn't recognised procedure:

Guru3D said:

Yes, but this was not retroactive:

RPS said:

(As far as I'm aware, the activation limit hasn't been raised; I believe she misspoke and had intended to refer to the aforementioned change of GPUs no longer eating activations.)

They've dropped their draconian DRM moving forward (for how long?), they haven't retroactively patched it out of all of their games.

Actually 3 activations, and the reply Ubisoft support gave was " 'Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to 3 hardware changes and there simply is no way to bypass that. We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you'."

I am unsure if that change and they give you further activations if you contact them or not.

Thankfully changing the GPU (or RAM) no longer counts as an Activation, but other alterations to the hardware still do.

Is it any wonder they cratered out their PC business. What in the actual fuck.

Steam is somehow borked for me. Only shows the featured games on the front page and search doesn't work.

Waiting for Dishonored and XCOM is fucking painful.

Man, I can't get into The Path. I like the art style, and I thought I would dig all the abstraction, but the sudden restrictions on running and the unclear levels of interaction with anything but the flowers is just driving me nuts. Guess I need something a little more concrete for now.

JaseC

Steam is somehow borked for me. Only shows the featured games on the front page and search doesn't work.

Waiting for Dishonored and XCOM is fucking painful.

I can play X-COM just fine with a VPN but I can't play Dishonored because I have the Red Hot Chili Peppers version.

arewethereyetjvp8v.jpg

It unlocks on Friday at 7AM (local time). I'd prefer to be playing it now, but seeing as I'm still working my way through AssCreed 2, I don't particularly mind waiting.

Recall

Steam is acting up for I, not loading correctly, weird layout, showing there are no games in the store and 0 under the different price options. So odd...

Steamfail.png

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Steam is acting up for I, not loading correctly, weird layout, showing there are no games in the store and 0 under the different price options. So odd...

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz131/RecallBerserk/Steamfail.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

same for me i was about to ask in the retro city rampage thread if anyone else was having the same problem least its good to know its a valve issue and not just me

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Are you sure about this? I upgraded to a 660 last weekend, loaded up Anno, and it asked me to re-enter my product key.

ShaneB

Been switching around from a few skins, and I really like how the Windows 8 skin is turning out. But saying that feels blasphemous.

xJavonta

Banned
So I'm trying to play X-Blades and the launcher keeps fucking crashing. Good lord I heard it was bad but this is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom