• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good times Nabs lol, I shouldn't have wasted time throwing axes at that dude, I totally would have had him.

OT: Man Chivalry is a blast!

Salsa

well I accidentaly entered the TWD ep 4 (wich im still avoiding since im so hooked on Dishonored) spoiler thread thinking it was the release date announcement thread and I caught a big ol BIG spoiler

feelsbadman :/

Mairu

well I accidentaly entered the TWD ep 4 (wich im still avoiding since im so hooked on Dishonored) spoiler thread thinking it was the release date announcement thread and I caught a big ol BIG spoiler

feelsbadman :/

:(

I haven't played the second episode yet. I'm probably going to wait for ep5 and play them all at once.

Why would they be more expensive? I assume a 20€ voucher would cost 20€.

Sorry, missed this yesterday.

I meant in Switzerland. I remember the conversion rate for Nintendo points to be ridiculous as well. The cards were 2000=20€=35CHF in 2007 (I think?) and even though the Euro went way down the price stayed the same. Of course, it could have been a Nintendo thing but I doubt GameStop is going to play fair when it comes to gift cards.

Tomodachi

I recall people talking about this but I can't find the single posts, but I'm not the only one who's getting the "Could not connect to Steam network" error every first time Steam is launched, right? Any way to fix this? I opted out of beta updates yesterday but today it still does this.

Nymerio

I've been having this problem for months now, it's really annoying. Sometimes it doesn't even work the second time and I have to try three to four times till it connects. I have all the ports forwarded correctly, tried deleting clientregistry.blob, etc.

I recall people talking about this but I can't find the single posts, but I'm not the only one who's getting the "Could not connect to Steam network" error every first time Steam is launched, right? Any way to fix this? I opted out of beta updates yesterday but today it still does this.

I've been having this problem for months now, it's really annoying. Sometimes it doesn't even work the second time and I have to try three to four times till it connects. I have all the ports forwarded correctly, tried deleting clientregistry.blob, etc.

This happened to me once and I had to delete everything except for the steamapps folder and the Steam executable (steam.exe). After you launch Steam, it should redownload everything. I did this and never had the problem again.

Note: Google the error message for exact instructions on how to do this. I don't remember if those were the only files you keep or not and don't want to ruin anyone's installation. I would recommend backing up your categories if you have any, just in case. When I did this, it kept my categories and I only had to reset all my custom grid icons.

Recall

I know it sounds silly but if you make sure you are logged into the Steam website, then launch the client it generally circumvents the error and the taking Steam offline issue too. No idea why.

Blizzard

Banned
This happens to me most times I launch Steam too. It seems to work the second time but it kind of makes me afraid it will get stuck one day. :p

Xanathus

Oh FFS Magicka just started updating even though I explicitly set it to "Do Not Update". I even checked and it's still set to that.

I wish £1=$1 :(

aE7Fg.png

Blizzard

Banned
Oh FFS Magicka just started updating even though I explicitly set it to "Do Not Update". I even checked and it's still set to that.
Did you launch it first? I know it launching forces updates even when games are set to do not update, but I didn't realize it was bugged where even if you don't launch games they still update.

*edit* Or what Stallion Free said, the new content system which I continue to grumble about.

Nabs

It looks like they are selling physical copies of Dishonored and keys of XCOM. It's better to get Dishonored from GMG for a few bucks more.

Shantom

It also has a good price for Dishonored. Anyone know if this site is legit?

Completely legit. I think they're one of the oldest online retailers in th UK. As for buying keys off them, I bought Sleeping Dogs the other week for £14 and it was sent to me within 10 minutes. Make sure you are actually buying a key and not a physical copy though as they sell both.

Kinda asking due to that upcoming Amazon bundle, but this thread is a bit more active with PC game knowledge, so I figured that I would ask here.

1. Is Blood Money the best of the Hitman games? I doubt I'd have time to play more than one (I've never played any of them), so I'm wondering if this is the best of the bunch to play in 2012 for someone who's just going to play one of them.

2. I recall some chatter on here that The Last Remenant was much better on the PC as opposed to the consoles, but I can't recall the differences. What made this the better version?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Two Worlds is a great game though.

I enjoyed it and was one achievement away from 100%ing it on 360. Finding all locations or teleports or something. From what I've played of II I liked the first one better. But I can get some satisfaction out of almost any RPG so I'm a bit biased.

2. I recall some chatter on here that The Last Remenant was much better on the PC as opposed to the consoles, but I can't recall the differences. What made this the better version?

Besides all the technical aspects of having an Unreal Game on PC [no horrible pop-in and long load times that all but ruined the Xbox version] the game offers a 'turbo' mode that vastly increases battle animations [ensuring battles are much quicker without altering the tactical aspects].

On the gameplay side of things there're a decent amount of subtle improvements but the most important for someone who hasn't played the original is probably the addition of New Game Plus, autosave and Hard Mode. If you have, the PC version gets rid of the leader limit in unions.

Please, if you would elaborate why.

Well given my stance you can probably tell I haven't put more than an hour or two into the game, but if I recall my primary problem was the fact combat is appalling. The melee animation was, for lack of a better word, 'goofy', felt really off, and made it difficult to predict the the characters extremely limited range when attacking. I seem to recall using a bow / magic and finding the targeting and general feel of them to be equally as unsatisfying and unweidly. It's rare I don't find at least one style of combat bearable...

Maybe it improves as your character does, but every other indication was that the development team didn't know what they were doing so I didn't stick around to find out...for example, the UI is hidious. I understand the intent, it was just confusing to try and use; I can accept that in games like Sword of the Stars because of the strategic depth they offer. Not so in a typical action-RPG. Much like Dead Space, the map is a convoluted and badly displain mess. Unlike Dead Space, it's actually required for general play in Two Worlds.

The story and writing and voice acting were, of course, abysmal [the game is infamous in that regard]. I know most claim it's unintentionally hilarious, like The Room or something, but for me it just fell flat. I crave immersion from those sorts of games and don't want to waste tens of hours in a generic [and it was incredibly generic] fantasy world full of characters I find grating.

It has been a while, and these are pretty generic complaints - perhaps time has soiled my memories of what little I did play even more, [it's my understanding there's an interesting crafting system] but I recall it being terrible in all the areas I expect competence from in an RPG.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Verdict on Realms of Ancient War and Of Orcs and Men?

Also wtf @ Steam constantly moving the Dishonored and X-COM unlock date...

Tess3ract

Banned
Well given my stance you can probably tell I haven't put more than an hour or two into the game, but if I recall my primary problem was the fact combat is appalling. The melee animation was, for lack of a better word, 'goofy', felt really off, and made it difficult to predict the the characters extremely limited range when attacking. I seem to recall using a bow / magic and finding the targeting and general feel of them to be equally as unsatisfying and unweidly. It's rare I don't find at least one style of combat bearable..

Maybe it improves as your character does, but every other indication was that the development team didn't know what they were doing so I didn't stick around to find out...for example, the UI is hidious. I understand the intent, it was just confusing to try and use; I can accept that in games like Sword and the Stars because of the strategic depth they offer. Not so in a typical action-RPG. Much like Dead Space, the map is a conveluted and badly displain mess. Unlike Dead Space, it's actually required for general play in Two Worlds.

The story and writing and voice acting were, of course, abysmal [the game is infamous in that regard]. I know most claim it's unintentionally hilarious, like The Room or something, but for me it just fell flat. I crave immersion from these sorts of games and don't want to waste tens of hours in a generic [and it was incredibly generic] fantasy world full of characters I find grating.

It has been a while, and these are pretty generic complaints - perhaps time has soiled my memories of what little I did play even more, but I recall it being terrible in all the areas I prefer compentance from in an action RPG.
I didn't play that because I always wanted to play a melee character, and that was pretty satisfying.

So wasn't the goofy writing voice acting. I don't care if a game has bad stuff, as long as it doesn't take itself seriously.

This is also why I got really bored really fast with Two Worlds 2. it has an awesome magic system but the UI is console oriented and it takes itself seriously, while still being goofy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom