• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
I haven't had time to play dishonored until the part where you get the heart.

Saturday and sunday I will beat it most likely though. Damn school and work!

In other news: Geneforge is good. Spiderweb Software owns.

I have a question about moving a Steam game from one PC to another. Basically, one of them has really slow internet at the moment so I downloaded and installed the game on my account on the other one. If I then use the Steam backup option to copy it to an external HDD, do I then just use the restore from backup feature on the other PC? Assuming that works, it's the same account on both PCs, so I shouldn't have any problems/have to download any additional files right?

Spazo

a question for you guys,

I added steam library folders in other drives by going into steam settings and steam library folders.

When I install a new game, how I can select those new folders that I created ? I dont see any place to specify it

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Really Big Sky is the new game over at IndieGameStand.

BTA ($1.08) to get the dev's previous two games (Lunneye Devitsy and Wake) as well as:

Part of the Tormishire Soundtrack
Wake Original Soundtrack
Lunnye Devitsy Original Soundtrack
Manuals for Wake and Lunnye Devitsy
Nice, I have this game on my Steam wishlist. Will pick it up for sure.

a question for you guys,

I added steam library folders in other drives by going into steam settings and steam library folders.

When I install a new game, how I can select those new folders that I created ? I dont see any place to specify it

just get the beta client, it lets you do all this automatically within steam

I have a question about moving a Steam game from one PC to another. Basically, one of them has really slow internet at the moment so I downloaded and installed the game on my account on the other one. If I then use the Steam backup option to copy it to an external HDD, do I then just use the restore from backup feature on the other PC? Assuming that works, it's the same account on both PCs, so I shouldn't have any problems/have to download any additional files right?

Yup, it's how i do it.
Login at work, download game at work on fat internet, backup game through Steam, save to USB drive, logout of steam. Go home, login to Steam, restore game.

You need to be online as Steam will check that your account has purchased the game and sometimes it pulls down a small file or two but the backed up game files can be used by any account that has purchased the game, they're not tied to your account.

I think this is how AusGAF transfer games around to those with tiny download caps too.

LQX

Is there any way to stop Steam from fucking up my sorted games? They are in categories and minimized but routinely they all become expanded which is chore to go through. Makes no damn sense.

JordanKZ

Is there any way to stop Steam from fucking up my sorted games? They are in categories and minimized but routinely they all become expanded which is chore to go through. Makes no damn sense.

I find a restart usually cures that.

I've had a problem with steam on first boot where it never connects to the steam network in time (I'm assuming it's reading something from my hard disk and taking too long). I usually have to load it a second time for it to actually work.

Yup, it's how i do it.
Login at work, download game at work on fat internet, backup game through Steam, save to USB drive, logout of steam. Go home, login to Steam, restore game.

You need to be online as Steam will check that your account has purchased the game and sometimes it pulls down a small file or two but the backed up game files can be used by any account that has purchased the game, they're not tied to your account.

I think this is how AusGAF transfer games around to those with tiny download caps too.

Cheers. I installed it before backing up as well.

LQX

I find a restart usually cures that.

I've had a problem with steam on first boot where it never connects to the steam network in time (I'm assuming it's reading something from my hard disk and taking too long). I usually have to load it a second time for it to actually work.

Yeah, that is my fix for when it uncategorizes everything. Doesn't seem to work if it expands your organized sub categories. Hopefully they fix it soon as it is fucking annoying.

Ledsen

Although it's unlikely to accomplish anything, I think I'm going to categorize all of my games into BEATEN, HAVEN'T BEATEN, and CRAP.

That's my setup, except haven't beaten consists of want to play and maybe want to play, and the former is priority one. Crap is everything I don't want to play, no matter if it's actually crap or just not my thing, if i have played it or judged it without playing it. I also have re-buys, which is games ive played on console but bought again on pc just so i can replay them if i want to.

Joe Molotov

That's my setup, except haven't beaten consists of want to play and maybe want to play, and the former is priority one. Crap is everything I don't want to play, no matter if it's actually crap or just not my thing, if i have played it or judged it without playing it. I also have re-buys, which is games ive played on console but bought again on pc just so i can replay them if i want to.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll make a TOP PRIORITY category for games I really need to get to. I also made a MULTIPLAYER one for games like Team Fortress 2 or high replay games like Audiosurf.

And I agree on CRAP, you have to be honest about which games you know in your heart you're never going to play, and not pretend like "Oh yeah, maybe I'll play that someday" when you know you won't.

Addnan

Anybody have Civ5 on their wishlist before todays date? If so I got my key from GMG that I don't need.

If no one has it on their wishlist, I'll just give it to someone after a while.

Salsa

Better than Thief 1/2?

good question. I dont know how i'd compare them since they are so fundamentally different besides the perspective similarities. The stealth aspect feels a bit more.. streamlined in Dishonored but the powers and whatnot feel really good to use. Basically the ultimate game to feel like a badass (you have been dethroned batman AA/AC), everything just flows incredibly well. By the time you "master" each of the abilities pulling off the murder of a whole area becomes second nature.

took me 20 hours btw

Deadstar

Anyone have the game Yesterday? It's on sale now. I have all the other adventure games from these guys but haven't played them yet. Is it any good?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So, GameSave Manager. Can I tell it to only look on a particular drive for saves?

My fiancé's Windows installation is hosed and he's resigned himself to backing up only a few essentials onto my PC before reformatting. But if the process is easy and fast enough, maybe we can back up the Steam saves too.

Thing is, we have a few of the same games and I don't want it to pick up my saves over his. Anyone?

Edit: Also XCOM isn't listed as a supported game yet, so...does anyone know where those saves are? Maybe I'll ask in the OT...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just announced:

@nyumedia 10:58 AM
Combo-crazy doujin beat 'em up, Fairy Bloom Freesia, will release on Steam, Desura & direct sales on Oct 17th! fairybloomfreesia.com

oKi4d.jpg

Pengew

I remember seeing this before but can't seem to find it so i will ask here. Is it possible to add individual MAME games to steam library? I see people adding other emulators n' such but can't get it to work with mame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom