• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Might be old news, but I was struggling to find a use for my 20 dollar best buy gift card tonight. I went to look at the pc section on a whim and low and behold I saw some Steam Wallet cards sitting on the shelf in front of a Steam Wallet display. They had 20, 50, and 100 dollar cards. The Steam Wallet cards at Best Buy are true scratch cards unlike the ones at Gamestop which print the code on a receipt. So if you are looking to find Steam Wallet cards at a new place it looks like you can get them at Best Buy now!

That is really good news, thanks.

So I'm playing Shank 1 right now and I'm actually enjoying it a bit. I didn't like the demo, but I gave it another shot and I'm having a good time. I think I'll day 1 Mark of the Ninja because I feel kind of bad for getting Shank 1 and 2 for free.

So I'm playing Shank 1 right now and I'm actually enjoying it a bit. I didn't like the demo, but I gave it another shot and I'm having a good time. I think I'll day 1 Mark of the Ninja because I feel kind of bad for getting Shank 1 and 2 for free.

There's one seriously bullshit level in the first Shank, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. If you haven't tried it already, give the co-op a go. The levels are different and the bosses require the two of you to work together to beat. Well done to Klei for putting the effort in and not just having the two of you run through the main game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Anyway, first one to quote this gets Civilization V.
Cool. I'll give it a spin and see if it's better than IV. My brother has it too and he's becoming a dad soon (maybe right now?) so taking turns via email (still a feature?) might be something he could fit in to his new-dad schedule.

Cool. I'll give it a spin and see if it's better than IV. My brother has it too and he's becoming a dad soon (maybe right now?) so taking turns via email (still a feature?) might be something he could fit in to his new-dad schedule.

PM'ed!

Game's fun. I've never played IV but everyone seems to say this is worse, due to it being too streamlined.

For example, unless you bought the DLC, there's no religion in the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks!

Game's fun. I've never played IV but everyone seems to say this is worse, due to it being too streamlined.

For example, unless you bought the DLC, there's no religion in the game.
Unless religion works differently, that's a good thing. In IV that stuff shifted around nearly on its own way too much, and converting regions beside you to your state religion didn't really help much in winning them over. Then again, maybe I just sucked at it. Anyway, I felt like Civ was way more "board game" than my expectations (multiplayer CK2?) so being streamlined to match that vibe sounds good to me. It's the only Civ my brother has played and he loves it, so whatevs.

Tess3ract

Banned
Because the game isn't coming out for PC until november 20th

Even the wiiu version is coming out before the pc version, november 13th

christ sakes

Megasoum

Banned
Because the game isn't coming out for PC until november 20th

Even the wiiu version is coming out before the pc version, november 13th

christ sakes

...No shit...I know it's coming out in November...That's still no reason for not taking pre-order.

Heck, I pre-ordered Sim City the other day and that's not coming out until next year!

benjipwns

Banned
...No shit...I know it's coming out in November...That's still no reason for not taking pre-order.

Heck, I pre-ordered Sim City the other day and that's not coming out until next year!
Some developers/publishers despise DD pre-orders for some reason.

Pre-order retail all you want, but DD? lol no

I think it's because they don't want to give a 10 percent discount. And if you take pre-orders without any discount, you look like a cheap SOB.

It kinda pisses me off that Dishonored is 59.99 everywhere, without a discount in sight. It was more expensive than most games too. That might also be part of the reason why I picked XCOM first.

I know I might sound like I'm entitled to discounts here but I fail to see a game selling that high when you know part of the reason the cost went that high in the first place is due to shipping, etc. Then again, it did shot up to no. 1 in Steam sales + I've heard it's a really good game.

DTKT

It kinda pisses me off that Dishonored is 59.99 everywhere, without a discount in sight. It was more expensive than most games too. That might also be part of the reason why I picked XCOM first.

I know I might sound like I'm entitled to discounts here but I fail to see a game selling that high when you know part of the reason the cost went that high in the first place is due to shipping, etc. Then again, it did shot up to no. 1 in Steam sales + I've heard it's a really good game.

GreemanGaming has a 20% coupon you can use with Dishonored.

GMG20-FXYD1-7WHP1 brings it down to 48

To be honest all games with a retail release are stupidly expensive on Steam. I'll never understand why people buy Steamworks games off of Steam at launch, the games are always 30-50% cheaper at retail

To be honest all games with a retail release are stupidly expensive on Steam. I'll never understand why people buy Steamworks games off of Steam at launch, the games are always 30-50% cheaper at retail

I think people just don't want to wait.

I get what you mean though, games are usually cheaper on Amazon and GMG too. Hell, I could buy Dishonored through some shops here in Malaysia for 42 USD. But the ease of using Steam overrules all I guess.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Because your blanket statement isn't wholly true.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That usually isn't the case in North America.

I think people just don't want to wait.

I get what you mean though, games are usually cheaper on Amazon and GMG too. Hell, I could buy Dishonored through some shops here in Malaysia for 42 USD. But the ease of using Steam overrules all I guess.

Yeah it makes sense but it just annoys me after all the talk about how "Digital Distribution will lead to lower prices!" has instead resulted in an average price increase of around 50% here. Well at least there's websites like GMG which offer new games at prices similar to what they cost retail, after you use a 25% voucher

GMG is great for new games compared to steam store in Europe, €50 in the steam store and around €25 for the GMG one. Seems silly to pay twice as much for the exact same thing.

Because your blanket statement isn't wholly true.

Hitman: Amazon 31,Gamestop 28, Steam 50 - Steam 78% more expensive
Dishonored: Amazon 31, Gamestop 35, Steam 50 - Steam 62% more expensive
XCOM: Amazon 37, Gamestop 40, Steam 50 - Steam 25% more expensive
Blops 2: Amazon 43, Gamestop 50, Steam 60 - Steam 40% more expensive
Company of Heroes 2: Amazon 46, Gamestop 40, Steam 50 - Steam 25% more expensive
Football Manager 2013: Amazon 37, Gamestop 45, Steam 50 - Steam 35% more expensive
Borderlands 2: Amazon 31, Gamestop 40, Steam 50 - Steam 61% more expensive
Sleeping Dogs: Amazon 28, Gamestop 40, Steam 50 - Steam 79% more expensie

You're right sometimes it's only 25% more expensive!

MNC

GMG is great for new games compared to steam store in Europe, €50 in the steam store and around €25 for the GMG one. Seems silly to pay twice as much for the exact same thing.

25€ for Dishonored on GMG? That's a first. GMG is just as bad and does € = $ as well. GMG does have better preorder discounts, which is pretty cool.

Mairu

Company of Heroes 2: Amazon 46, Gamestop 40, Steam 50 - Steam 25% more expensive
Football Manager 2013: Amazon 37, Gamestop 45, Steam 50 - Steam 35% more expensive

Dishonored is $31 on Amazon? XCOM is $37? How?

MRORANGE

Haven't played anything all week, but managed to play: The Walking Dead: Episode 4 and damn this game is going strength to strength. I really do feel character development stepped up a notch in this chapter as well as choices, it's the only episode I felt conflicted on what to do.

BxkL4.jpg

25€ for Dishonored on GMG? That's a first. GMG is just as bad and does € = $ as well. GMG does have better preorder discounts, which is pretty cool.

Yeah their euro prices aren't great which is why I use a UK account where most games end up £20-22.50 with a 25% off voucher which is usually close to €25-28.

JaseC

What you've said applies to the US market. What my post mentioned was "your blanket statement isn't wholly true".

Edit: Please don't interpret my post to be snarky, I'm just making the point that your previous assertion that retail is cheaper than Steam isn't true for all territories.

Edit 2: Here's an Australian example to the contrary:
Portal 2 (RRP): $29
Portal 2 (Steam): $19.99

LQX

If there is a person in existence...or in this thread that does not own Half-Life 2: Episode One let me know and it is yours.

fallout

Yeah it makes sense but it just annoys me after all the talk about how "Digital Distribution will lead to lower prices!" has instead resulted in an average price increase of around 50% here. Well at least there's websites like GMG which offer new games at prices similar to what they cost retail, after you use a 25% voucher
I've always felt that this was a bit of a bullshit claim. Generally, the price of a product is determined by what the market will bear. If they feel it can sell for $60 at retail, they'll feel it can sell for $60 on digital distribution.

The counter to that is that it's amazingly easy now for me to buy "$60 games" for $5 a couple of years after release. I could do that before with retail, but pretty rarely ... and I had to be on the ball.

DTKT

I've always felt that this was a bit of a bullshit claim. Generally, the price of a product is determined by what the market will bear. If they feel it can sell for $60 at retail, they'll feel it can sell for $60 on digital distribution.

The counter to that is that it's amazingly easy now for me to buy "$60 games" for $5 a couple of years after release. I could do that before with retail, but pretty rarely ... and I had to be on the ball.

Well, when you cut down things like manufacturing, shipping, manuals and the entire physical part of a game, I'd expect a lower price. But you are right, the market sets a price it's ready to play, the actual fabrication process has little to do with the value.

1-D_FTW

If you lived in the US, you just had to wait 4 - 6 months and it'd be in the Target clearance aisle for 7.49.

Of course, they don't really stock much anymore and prices just sit there now. Steam sales have basically just replaced what Target and Circuit City used to do.

Which is why I have no issues with the "Will wait for Steam sale." They can sit and spin if they think I'm paying 50 - 60 dollars with no resale rights. You want that price, it better have killer online that demands Day 1 appearance.

JaseC

Bugger me, I'd forgotten how large AssCreed 2's recreation of Venice is.

Edit: Oops, this is a slightly old tab. But still relevant, I suppose, given I'm still in the first region of Venice. (I'm such a sucker for collectables.)

Salsa

E6eh0.png

wut

wonder what i'll move first, any recommendations?

not steam related but im definetly putting Battlefield 3 in there. Maps take a fucking long time to load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom