• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you've said applies to the US market. What my post mentioned was "your blanket statement isn't wholly true".

Edit: Please don't interpret my post to be snarky, I'm just making the point that your previous assertion that retail is cheaper than Steam isn't true for all territories.

Edit 2: Here's an Australian example to the contrary:
Portal 2 (RRP): $29
Portal 2 (Steam): $19.99

Never knew retail was actually more expensive in Aus that's crazy to me, was mostly just speaking from my personal experience but yeah you're right that wouldn't really cover everywhere

Just looked through my Steam library, of 249 games I have completed....19...

Ho much are the Cities XL games for people who already own the previous ones? Do the "previous owner" discounts stack with the WE deal?
EDIT: Seems like the games are a buggy unoptimized mess and not even very good. Maybe I shouldn't even bother.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Never knew retail was actually more expensive in Aus that's crazy to me, was mostly just speaking from my personal experience but yeah you're right that wouldn't really cover everywhere

Well, there are exceptions. Black Ops 2 is a whole $1 cheaper at retail ($98 versus $99), for example. ;)

benjipwns

Banned
Ho much are the Cities XL games for people who already own the previous ones? Do the "previous owner" discounts stack with the WE deal?
EDIT: Seems like the games are a buggy unoptimized mess and not even very good. Maybe I shouldn't even bother.
2011 (for having XL): $6.24
2012 (for having 2011): $9.99

EDIT: Guess this means they don't stack. They used to. The entire reason I have 2011 is because it stacked on a daily deal or something shortly after release and was like $5.

And yeah, they're buggy. The reason you get the discounts for having the earlier games is because of those bugs and how the games keep killing off the developers instead of getting them patched.

XL in particular has a nasty memory leak.

They're alright city builders though. (Haven't played 2012.)

Well, there are exceptions. Black Ops 2 is a whole $1 cheaper at retail ($98 versus $99), for example. ;)

Beating a dead horse here but retail in Switzerland retail is most of the time more expensive than Steam. There are a few online stores which sell AAA titles for 55-60CHF (45-50€) but retail is almost always 70CHF (57€) and up.

JaseC

Nope. I bought the Cities XL LE before Cities XL 2011 assuming the owner discount would stack, but discovered otherwise.

2011 (for having XL): $6.24
2012 (for having 2011): $9.99

And yeah, they're buggy. The reason you get the discounts for having the earlier games is because of those bugs and how the games keep killing off the developers instead of getting them patched.

XL in particular has a nasty memory leak.

They're alright city builders though. (Haven't played 2012.)

Those are the regular sale prices for me as well. Meh.

benjipwns

Banned
Nope. I bought the Cities XL LE before Cities XL 2011 assuming the owner discount would stack, but discovered otherwise.
Like I mentioned above, it used to, but I think they fixed it with/before 2012 after a bunch of people got a bargain on 2011.

It was some sale where like XL was 75% off and 2011 was 33% off so it was cheaper by far to buy XL+2011 than just 2011.

I wonder if Valve has changed it system wide after that Serious Sam 3 thing this summer?

JustinBB7

Just looked through my Steam library, of 249 games I have completed....19...

I never get this, I see so many people talking about their giant backlog, I used to have 1 but I just finished all my games 1 by 1. My library (in the client) says I have 108 games. I finished all of them except Skyrim, because I'm saving that for when I'm done with work and when wintertime kicks in.

Hate the feeling of not having games finished.

Severely dissapointed I paid full price for this game thinking it would be a decent update from the previous version. It's total shit in my opinion.

Wok

There should still be some Steam keys left for the beta of Primal Carnage. You need facebook or twitter to sign in.

Considering there are 68 comments right now, there should be more than 130 keys left. I can confirm there is a human being sending the keys once a day, so you will have to use a facebook ot Twitter account, and clutter it a bit, but you will get a Steam key in the end.

Primal Carnage is better than Dino-D Day: no need of a fake WWII background, and a good feeling of controlling dinosaurs, like T-Rex or Velociraptor, and really differents classes, be it for dinosaurs or humans! The only problem I had so far is a bit of lag.

JaseC

Like I mentioned above, it used to, but I think they fixed it with/before 2012 after a bunch of people got a bargain on 2011.

It was some sale where like XL was 75% off and 2011 was 33% off so it was cheaper by far to buy XL+2011 than just 2011.

I wonder if Valve has changed it system wide after that Serious Sam 3 thing this summer?

Ah, quite likely.

Eusis

Out of 635 "games" on steam, I've beaten 34
I need to properly count mine up, but I'm pretty sure I'm lower (counting only those beaten ON Steam), and Sam & Max Seasons 2 & 3 boost that number by a lot. Also I'm not sure I can fairly count Left 4 Dead, and unlike other games it's the one where I can't quite recall if I really "beat" on PC or 360.

Javaman

Out of 635 "games" on steam, I've beaten 34

I've got somewhere around that many too and I can count on two hands how many I've actually beat. I'm the worst at dabbling in games, almost treating them as demos. It doesn't help having kids and lots of overtime at work not to mention most of the games I play really don't have a true "end". (TF2, torchlight, etc.) I don't sweat it though. I look at it as a collection/library where I can play whatever I fancy whenever I want instead of as an overbearing backlog. One nice thing is that I very rarely fall into the hype and buy games at a full $50-$60 price. The last 2 were Diablo 3 (what the hell was I thinking) and Battlefield BC2. Having a decent size back catalog makes it easier to wait for the eventual 75% off steam sale.

I don't count how many games I've beaten because what's the point? There are a million games out there I haven't beaten, it really doesn't matter if I own them or not.

Backlog mentality gets in the way of enjoying games, imo.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have 183 games left I intend to beat out of games I currently own. That number will grow as their are games I am guaranteed to purchase before the end of the year.

But I have completed 150 games/expansions/DLC campaigns this year thanks to a semester off and will probably finish up about 25 more before the year ends. My backlog is gonna be my bitch. My goal is to reach a point where I don't have any games to play and I just look forward to the next release that interests me. If I can do that before I finish college I'll be good.

Eusis

I've got somewhere around that many too and I can count on two hands how many I've actually beat. I'm the worst at dabbling in games, almost treating them as demos.
Admittedly if you sink a decent amount of time into a game gotten in a Steam sale for <$10 it's basically a rental you're allowed to keep for way longer than a weekend (well, it technically IS that), problem is some of these games SOUND good but I just don't seriously play. Especially the strategy games, though I did sink several hours into Civilization IV's tutorial game, which had the paradoxical effect of scaring me from the real thing.

I never get this, I see so many people talking about their giant backlog, I used to have 1 but I just finished all my games 1 by 1. My library (in the client) says I have 108 games. I finished all of them except Skyrim, because I'm saving that for when I'm done with work and when wintertime kicks in.

Hate the feeling of not having games finished.

I also play a lot of games that you can't really beat as well which kind of skews the figures, plus a tonne of games I just stop playing if I don't like them I don't really feel the urge to beat a game I don't like

JaseC

I had once resolved to playing through my backlog from the beginning (alphabetically), but 1-2-3 Kick It! put a swift stop to that.

StuBurns

Banned
My Steam backlog is crazy, but mostly by choice. It's a lot of games I thought would be good, but weren't, and stuff I'd never buy but were included in a bundle, etc.

So, Company of Heroes AND Opposing Fronts are downloading a 2618.1mb patch each, it feels like it already happened several weeks ago, anybody else getting this huge patch? This will clog my connection for half a day ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom