• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomrider

re: Difficulty in Dead Space.

No obsession here. I tried hardcore, and if I wasn't having fun, I would've stopped playing no problem. But hardcore turns the game into something close to survival horror (I say "close" because I usually associate the term with games in which you have limited mobility/maneuverability, which is not the case), and I liked planning encounters and even dreading some of them.

To those interested in Aliens vs. Predator: it's very mediocre. It's not atrocious, seeing as how everything works, but it's unremarkable. There's nothing really worthwhile to it.

----------------------------------------

And I just beat Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich and felt like singing its praises:

I've read some complaints that the game feels more like an expansion. Those are not without merit, but I'd say it's superior to the first one. The story is even more crazy, but always interesting, the levels are more varied and look much better (thanks to some comic-bookey textures), the mission objectives are generally more interesting, the new characters are cool and it's not as long as the first game, which I feel is an advantage, considering I was getting kinda bored during the last couple of hours of the first game.

At the price you can usually buy these during major sales, it's totally worth it. Now, off to copy/paste that into my steam recommendation.

zulux21

from kotaku the new greenlight games
Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition
AirBuccaneers
Blockscape
Contrast
Fly'n
Folk Tale
Forge
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Project Giana)
Gnomoria
Interstellar Marines
Lost Story: The Last Days of Earth
Miasmata
Miner Wars 2081
NEOTOKYO
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Perpetuum
POSTAL 2 COMPLETE
Secrets of Grindea
The Intruder
The Stanley Parable: HD Remix
Yogventures!

I'm happy to see a few of thse like Secrets of Grindea and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Project Giana)

Sysgen

from kotaku the new greenlight games

I'm happy to see a few of thse like Secrets of Grindea and Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Project Giana)

No Pinball Arcade, no WRC 3 but Postal 2 makes it. What a sham. A complete joke. They've implemented a system of which high quality games that have a niche following can't get green lighted.

Blizzard

Banned
No Pinball Arcade, no WRC 3 but Postal 2 makes it. What a sham. A complete joke. They've implemented a system of which high quality games that have a niche following can't get green lighted.

Which games had more community interest? If there's a larger market for Postal 2 than Pinball Arcade, as suggested by greenlight votes and Valve's internal historical game stats, I could see Steam greenlighting it first.

Are none of the 30-or-so games so far considered to have a niche following? I don't recall seeing any such niche games with extraordinary polish and appeal, but I could very well be ignorant.

zulux21

hmmm I didn't remember the name of Contrast but that was one of the more interesting ones for me as well. Forge didn't sound horrible either.

anyways links to the games details can be found on the greenlight page if people wanted to look into what made it.

Blizzard

Banned
The point was Postal 2 made it but insult away, whatever.
The point is if a game has a high enough level of interest, Valve might greenlight it even if you personally like something else better.

I think the last time I asked someone who was complaining about a game like this, they named two or three games that I really didn't care for. Does that mean those games shouldn't be greenlit? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on a variety of factors, and I think jumping to conclusions or comparing on one criterion is a bad idea.

Am I imagining things, or weren't there several people who were convinced Valve was going to only greenlight 10 games at a time, every single time, and were vocally complaining about it? And now our second data point comes out, and it's 20+ games, not 10. Having a little patience and relaxing a little can save a lot of complaining when we don't know yet what will happen. :)

Yay for Octodad.

Is that Yogventures thing actually a game? When I saw it on Greenlight it sort of looked like the pitch a 14 year old would write as a fictitous videogame essay about what they'd want to see in their dream game, and absolutely fuck all actual details on how they were going to build it other than YOGSCAST YAY

EDIT: oh there are some 'gameplay' videos now. It looks shitter than most unity tutorials.

ArjanN

No matter what you think about Postal 2, it's an actual game that has been out for years and has an existing fanbase so it's almost always going to win a popularity contest against an unreleased indie title.

The good thing is that now 20 more games have been greenlighted, the chances for Gray Matter, La Mulana, Shantae etc. next time should be pretty good.

Nabs

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken is out now for $9.99

Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Multiplayer, Steam Leaderboards, 29 Steam Achievements, and full controller support.

Doomrider

oh man, i loved both freedom force games but kind of forgot they existed - and you just reminded me. maybe i will play through them again.

You should! They're still great fun. And funny, too.

Is it like XCOM? Because I dont mind playing another strategy game.

Having only played the XCOM demo, I don't feel like they're similar, really, but both could be considered tactical role-playing games, I guess. PixelHorror put it best: not much strategic emphasis in FF's case.

Hey, Afterfall got greenlit. Sweet. I'm curious to play that one.

Rapstah

Is that Yogventures thing actually a game? When I saw it on Greenlight it sort of looked like the pitch a 14 year old would write as a fictitous videogame essay about what they'd want to see in their dream game, and absolutely fuck all actual details on how they were going to build it other than YOGSCAST YAY

EDIT: oh there are some 'gameplay' videos now. It looks shitter than most unity tutorials.

I watched some videos of that and I feel bad for everyone involved in that project. I don't like the Yogscast but they'll have to pretend to like it no matter what they think, right?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm merely pointing out the failing of Greenlight when shit like this gets Greenlighted. I'm not representing myself as an expert, only communicating an opinion and given the evidence provided I find it difficult to see how anyone can argue for garbage.

I agree. I say we switch to Absolute Monarchy.

haikira

Had Routine already been greenlit, or is that new? Either way, i'm extremely happy about it. Definitely keeping a close eye on that.

ShaneB

No Gray Matter.. phooey.

Only thing on that list that sound familiar is Gnomoria, which I believe is another game that Toma has championed about, even made a thread about it I think? I'll check that one out.

edit: ah yes, it's the "dwarf fortress with graphics" game :)

I watched some videos of that and I feel bad for everyone involved in that project. I don't like the Yogscast but they'll have to pretend to like it no matter what they think, right?

I think they get to dodge a bullet, because it has "Boy I have allllllll summeer to make a videogame / making a game is haaaaaaaard" written all over it.

It's never coming out, and thats a greenlight slot wasted :|

ArjanN

I'm merely pointing out the failing of Greenlight when shit like this gets Greenlighted. I'm not representing myself as an expert, only communicating an opinion and given the evidence provided I find it difficult to see how anyone can argue for garbage.

I think it's kind of cool Postal 2 got greenlighted, even if I don't like Postal 2 all that much.

Steam could use some games that push boundaries, even if that means something might go too far.

Wok

It's hardly a failing of Greenlight. If anything, it's a failing of people to vote (gee, funny how that works) for the games you wanted, that are presumably "better".

Also I dunno, I can see the appeal of Postal 2 on Steam. It was always one of those "so bad it's great" kinds of things. It's also a pretty niche title in its own right.

It's hardly a failing of Greenlight. If anything, it's a failing of people to vote (gee, funny how that works) for the games you wanted, that are presumably "better".

Also I dunno, I can see the appeal of Postal 2 on Steam. It was always one of those "so bad it's great" kinds of things. It's also a pretty niche title in its own right.
why would anyone want play it then if its bad?

Hellix

How does Steam refunding work? As long as the game isn't released yet, you can request a refund? I was a bit disappointed with the Primal Carnage beta, so I don't know if I can still get a refund.

ArjanN

This is a crazy idea, but maybe a lot of people thought it was fun or that it looked fun, and voted for it. The whole point of Greenlight is that Steam isn't the group calling the shots.

This. Postal 2 defiinately has a (niche) fanbase.

It's also coming out next week, unlike something like Age of Decadence which, while looking good, is still a year away from release.

Wok

How does Steam refunding work? As long as the game isn't released yet, you can request a refund? I was a bit disappointed with the Primal Carnage beta, so I don't know if I can still get a refund.

What disappointed you? I have not paid for the game (yet), but I have played the beta, and I found the dinosaurs impressive.

So impressive I took some screenshots.

Nabs

Hurry and send a ticket to Steam Support about your preorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom