• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why were guys so obsessed with the harder difficulties? There is no shame in playing on normal and it honestly reads like you guys ruined the game for yourselves by forcing your way through that experience.

Tomodachi

Would be nice to see Grey Matter get the greenlight.
Let's be best friends, shall we? Just yesterday I wrote on the OT for the game something along your lines.

I REALLY hope EVERYONE on this thread voted to see this greenlighted because it NEEDS to be. And I need it to be because I'm waiting for its arrival on Steam to go through it again.

If you don't know what game we're talking about, it's the latest game from Jane Jensen, amazing writer of the more than amazing series of adventure games Gabriel Knight. Never played those? Why, go to GOG and buy them asap, they're discounted right now if I'm not mistaken (I probably am though).

Gray Matter on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94505580

While you're at it you could vote for Cognition too. It's the upcoming game from the authors of The Silver Lining and it has been written with the supervision of none other than Jane Jensen. Also, I backed/purchased it on kickstarter so if it gets on Steam I'll get a free key thank you very much.

Cognition on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92915746

ShaneB

Let's be best friends, shall we? Just yesterday I wrote on the OT for the game something along your lines.

I REALLY hope EVERYONE on this thread voted to see this greenlighted because it NEEDS to be. And I need it to be because I'm waiting for its arrival on Steam to go through it again.

If you don't know what game we're talking about, it's the latest game from Jane Jensen, amazing writer of the more than amazing series of adventure games Gabriel Knight. Never played those? Why, go to GOG and buy them asap, they're discounted right now if I'm not mistaken (I probably am though).

Gray Matter on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94505580

While you're at it you could vote for Cognition too. It's the upcoming game from the authors of The Silver Lining and it has been written with the supervision of none other than Jane Jensen. Also, I backed/purchased it on kickstarter so if it gets on Steam I'll get a free key thank you very much.

Cognition on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92915746

Did my part already and voted for both before :) Never played them, hence my desire to get them on Steam. I've got great memories of playing Gabriel Knight years ago and just loving the hell out of it, so Gray Matter remains on those heralded adventure games that I really want to experience.

Ledsen

I FUCKING DID IT

I BEAT DEAD SPACE 2 ON ZEALOT

Horrible endgame and horrible endboss. But I still enjoyed the game. It had semi-diverse surroundings, some really nice setpieces and still enough corridor-horror-dead-space-y-ness. Enough gameplay variations thanks to the anti-gravity bits. Isaac is becoming Iron Man slowly and I don't mind one bit.

Isaac should just shut the fuck up, but I didn't get too annoyed by the banter. I wonder if he's the same voice actor as Dead Space 1.

There were too many other people in the station and I never felt as alone as I did in Dead Space 1. Dead Space 2 is a pretty weak Dead Space in that regard but a solid game still. I still like the gameplay.

But fucking please, Zealot is really insane. I put 4 hours in the endboss alone because of the stupid
grapple OHKO that happen all the time. Even with the minions.
It's just really bad design, IMO. Dead Space 1's boss was far cooler. I went back to an older save, put the Contact Beam in my inventory and fucking did it in an hour.

Can't believe you had the stamina to do that. I just turned it down to Easy for that piece of shit. Zealot was brutal, definitely the hardest TPS I've ever played (haven't gotten to Vanquish yet).

Sega has been really trying to gain a PC foothold recently. Weird they picked to port this game over their cult classic Valkyria Chronicles though.
I guess Viking is a bit more easy to port, since it was on 360 also. And made by PC-developer The Creative Assembly.

That being said, I would love Valkyria to get a PC-release!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why? I would be all over a Missing Link style expansion for it.

I received the Eastern European version as a gift, which is considered a separate product to the rest-of-world version (it even shows up in my Library as "Dishonored RHCP", which is even more annoying than the games plastered with trademark symbols) so the DLC bought from any Steam Store that is not intended for Eastern Europe would be incompatible.

That said, I'm thankful for the gift since I can still play the main game (English is included), and the other person didn't realise it would be region-specific (the "RHCP" denotation didn't even show up until the pre-load period began), so it wasn't a mean prank or anything of the sort, haha. I suppose I could buy the RoW version when it's 75% off or some such and play any decent DLC that way. By most accounts the game is so nice it deserves to be bought twice. ;)

Edit: On the bright side, if I do buy the game again, I'll have something to trade in should Valve ever implement such a feature.

Wait, so it's not just a straight port? Hmm, this could end up being awesome.

Hmm, I may have misread an article:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76162/viking-battle-for-asgard-coming-to-pc-next-week
A curious bloody blast from The Creative Assembly's past is coming to PCs next week. The Total War series creator's second console game, the hack-and-slash Viking: Battle for Asgard from back in 2008, is unexpectedly getting a very late downloadable release, seemingly jazzed up a bit.

Sega's Hardlight Studio, who one imagines is responsible for porting it, dropped the news on Twitter. Though the Tweet only mentions Steam, it'll also be on Gamersgate and presumably other stores too.

"It's looking really pretty," The Creative Assembly added, sharing a single screenshot. "We're looking forward to seeing one of our favourite games find a whole new audience."

That makes me think they've tweaked it.

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1226372p1.html
Viking: Battle for Asgard is being ported by Hardlight Studios, a start-up Sega opened in early 2012 and made up of former Codemasters developers. It's unclear whether or not there will be any new content added or if Viking will be getting a significant graphical upgrade for PC. At this point, all we've got to go on is a tweet and screenshot from Creative Assembly: "It's looking really pretty - we're looking forward to seeing one of our favourite games find a whole new audience."

That claims they are unsure of changes, if any.

Either way, Sega has been making strides in the PC platform and I'm going to support it; I never finished the game, but really enjoyed my time with it. This news came out of NOWHERE for me; I haven't even thought of the game for years.

iavi

Interesting that Sega's not using Devil's Details for Viking. They were their go to port team for Sonic Generations and Binary Domain-the last two console>PC ports. If they formed this team to start porting some of the back catalog, though...

Nabs

Interesting that Sega's not using Devil's Details for Viking. They were their go to port team for Sonic Generations and Binary Domain-the last two console>PC ports. If they formed this team to start porting some of the back catalog, though...

They probably got 'em porting Vanquish.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They probably got 'em porting Vanquish.

ibtwxviT3Ak0jb.gif

MNC

Why were guys so obsessed with the harder difficulties? There is no shame in playing on normal and it honestly reads like you guys ruined the game for yourselves by forcing your way through that experience.

Talking about Dead Space 2? I did the first few chapters on Normal and something felt missing. There was absolutely no challenge in it after having just completed Dead Space 2. Tried Survivalist - Didn't feel challenging either... Got so much ammo and pickups. So I thought heck, why not do Zealot. Zealot felt, for atleast the first half of the game, great. Tense, but no OP enemies, just enough items to survive (and it made me value punching, TK and stasis so much more, I hardly used Stasis in DS1, which i played on normal)

So the difficulty felt pretty good. That was, up until I got to that part. The game throws all kinds of crazy shit at you and suddenly, just about everything is of the black, strong enemy variant. That's where I started to get frustrated with the game.

I normally don't give a rats ass about difficulty. 90% of the games I play on normal. But DS2 felt better on Zealot, and I was in a phase of 'Do developers still care about difficulty in games' etc. But as soon as I start on a certain difficulty, I don't pussy out. Never.

In the end, as soon as the final boss died, I was relieved and I could still look back on DS2 as a great game. So thankfully, the experience wasn't completely wrecked. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd actually buy it for that price. The euro prices though is an (outrageous!) 4.99€! Can you imagine that, five euros for a game in 2012. I doubt anyone falls for that ruse.

It's $9.99 here while on special, and with the discount each piece of DLC is just 12 cents more expensive than the US price. Sega sure loves that Aussie Tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom