• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellix

What disappointed you? I have not paid for the game (yet), but I have played the beta, and I found the dinosaurs impressive.

So impressive I took some screenshots.

The dinosaurs do look nice but it felt a bit weird controlling them. There also doesn't seem like I receive proper feedback when I attack the humans. The main draw of the game for me was being able to play as the dinosaurs, but I realize it will just be chaos with everyone rushing to the dinosaur team and people in the game complaining that they have to play as the humans. Overall, I don't find it that much fun, and I don't see myself playing it for long. Watching it definitely looked more appealing than when I finally tried it out.

1-D_FTW

Until someone boxes up syphilis and tries to sell it at retail, Postal 2 is the worst product ever foisted upon consumers. - 0/10 CGW [July 2003]

Sweet score.

DukeBobby

Postal 2 was fun for perhaps the first 20 minutes. Once the initial appeal of pissing in someone's face wore off, it became boring as fuck.

LuuKyK

Guys, I need help here, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but still...

Until, like, last month, I was able to run Steam, but now for some unknown reason I can't get past the Store and Library screen. I mean, I click on a game banner on the main store page but it kinda freezes, idk, sometimes it goes to the age portal thing, but freezes after that. I can't acess a game's page to buy it or download the demo AT ALL. Its really frustrating. I also can't acess community. Which is weird is that the same thing happens on the website version. More than that, it runs my games normally. t____t what.the.fuck. I tried to use the command prompt and everything else they recommended on the support there, but its not working. Maybe I should reinstall it? Someone else had/has this problem?

GenkiPatton

Neo Member
Just announced:

@nyumedia 10:58 AM
Combo-crazy doujin beat 'em up, Fairy Bloom Freesia, will release on Steam, Desura & direct sales on Oct 17th! fairybloomfreesia.com

oKi4d.jpg

It's happening! Fairy Bloom Freesia will hit Steam Oct 17th, fo' shoa!

Proof, if proof be need be: 4KYZM-2ZAWP-V40FM* :)

* 2 days before release! You're welcome!

Wok

The dinosaurs do look nice but it felt a bit weird controlling them. There also doesn't seem like I receive proper feedback when I attack the humans. The main draw of the game for me was being able to play as the dinosaurs, but I realize it will just be chaos with everyone rushing to the dinosaur team and people in the game complaining that they have to play as the humans. Overall, I don't find it that much fun, and I don't see myself playing it for long. Watching it definitely looked more appealing than when I finally tried it out.

I understand your points, I can relate with what you expressed. However, the game is a lot cooler than I would have expected after playing similar games with dinosaurs.

zulux21

It's happening! Fairy Bloom Freesia will hit Steam Oct 17th, fo' shoa!

Proof, if proof be need be: 4KYZM-2ZAWP-V40FM* :)

* 2 days before release! You're welcome!

I hope it sells well for you guys, I will also note that I am happy nyumedia managed to get one of their games to release on steam the same time as other places as it's so hard to resist buying it from other places while I wait for the steam release lol (pretty much any non steam game I buy i just don't get to because I forget about it because I don't see it on my steam list, and I tend to be to lazy to set up short cuts ><:)

VALIS

What's the best price on Dishonored currently? 20% off at GMG?

No Pinball Arcade, no WRC 3 but Postal 2 makes it. What a sham. A complete joke. They've implemented a system of which high quality games that have a niche following can't get green lighted.

Even worse is a lot of what they Greenlighted today doesn't even exist as a game currently, they're projects. Nothing might ever come of them.

Also, for people suggesting that the other games simply just got more votes, Pinball Arcade had 85% approval last week, and not all the games that were approved today were 100% and some were even lower than 85%. And now apparently even those bars have been removed from developer pages so it's currently a complete mystery as to how or why a game gets greenlit, even to a developer!

The whole thing's been one misstep after another. Shame. There's really no difference at this point in the old way Steam accepted games and the Greenlight way, as acceptance via either method is entirely mysterious and unpredictable. At least Greenlight is still good for browsing around and knowing what other games are out there that you can buy on Desura or dev pages.

Blizzard

Banned
Also, for people suggesting that the other games simply just got more votes, Pinball Arcade had 85% approval last week, and not all the games that were approved today were 100% and some were even lower than 85%. And now apparently even those bars have been removed from developer pages so it's currently a complete mystery as to how or why a game gets greenlit, even to a developer!
So if Valve only took the most voted entries, they would be criticized (and I think they have been since the greenlight pick set today) for only catering to the most popular games, rather than niche games.

...but you are saying they didn't do that, instead diving deeper and manually selecting some choices that were not the most popular. And you criticize them for doing that. :p Is it possible for Valve to even keep both sides happy?

The whole thing's been one misstep after another. Shame. There's really no difference at this point in the old way Steam accepted games and the Greenlight way, as acceptance via either method is entirely mysterious and unpredictable. At least Greenlight is still good for browsing around and knowing what other games are out there that you can buy on Desura or dev pages.
I disagree with the bolded, since for the first set, weren't 9/10 of the choices the most popular (and some of perhaps the most polished) on the store? That's not close to "entirely mysterious and unpredictable". For game quality, the Black Mesa authors, for instance, seem to have done a decent job. Routine had one of perhaps the most polished and attention-getting trailers I have seen on the site, for another example.

For the most recent set, were some or most of the games selected ones that had received lots of votes? If so, I don't think it's fair to say its' "entirely mysterious and unpredictable" either, since it would stand to reason that the popularity was a factor. My personal guess is that most of the set of 21 games today had received a reasonably high number of votes compared to other games in Greenlight.

And now apparently even those bars have been removed from developer pages so it's currently a complete mystery as to how or why a game gets greenlit, even to a developer!
Is there a source on the developer percentage being removed, and if so whether it is permanent?

1-D_FTW

What's the best price on Dishonored currently? 20% off at GMG?

Even worse is a lot of what they Greenlighted today doesn't even exist as a game currently, they're projects. Nothing might ever come of them.

I guess the counter would be: they've always said it was simply to shine attention on omissions they possibly underestimated. I don't believe they ever claimed there were going to be hard goals, that if met, would guarantee your acceptance.

The other problem with publishing hard criteria is, if you go that route, you openly publish how to manipulate the results.

Can't say I find the current results amazing, I'm just pointing out that any single mechanism they use is going to have flaws in it.

VALIS

So if Valve only took the most voted entries, they would be criticized (and I think they have been since the greenlight pick set today) for only catering to the most popular games, rather than niche games.

...but you are saying they didn't do that, instead diving deeper and manually selecting some choices that were not the most popular. And you criticize them for doing that. :p Is it possible for Valve to even keep both sides happy?

Of course there's flaws with a "the most popular games win" system as this relies on the internet at large and their awful taste in 4chan memes and loli anime (*coughs and nudges head upward*), but at least that's a system that's transparent and obvious, opposed to what's in place now. I'm only making one of those two arguments, though, so you can't say I'm putting Valve in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario.

For the most recent set, were some or most of the games selected ones that had received lots of votes? If so, I don't think it's fair to say its' "entirely mysterious and unpredictable" either, since it would stand to reason that the popularity was a factor. My personal guess is that most of the set of 21 games today had received a reasonably high number of votes compared to other games in Greenlight.

Semantics, we're both right. Yes, having a popular game gets you considered, however it doesn't necessarily get you in, which is the mysterious part. What exactly gets your game Greenlit? Not sure right now. Popularity helps, but isn't the determining factor.

Is there a source on the developer percentage being removed, and if so whether it is permanent?

My mistake, in re-reading it, the message I read earlier seems to be talking about the percentage meter being removed on the public-facing pages, even though he isn't specific.

Zizbuka

Banned
I was just checking my Steam inventory, and noticed those badges from the summer sale. Any word on what they were for? Did I miss getting something?

So the Doom 3 BFG Edition is supposed to come out tomorrow, doesn't even have a store page on Steam yet. Surprise release, I guess. Amazing way to drum up interest for the series.

pahamrick

Figured I'd cross-post this here too, so more folks can see it.

Got three give-aways here for gaffers only. Links hidden, quote to see. They all end in about an hour.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Missing Link

The Last Remnant

I'll email the keys out to the winners.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Got three give-aways here for gaffers only. Links hidden, quote to see. They all end in about an hour.

The Last Remnant

Great, thanks! Wish me luck on TLR, lol.

ShaneB

So the Doom 3 BFG Edition is supposed to come out tomorrow, doesn't even have a store page on Steam yet. Surprise release, I guess. Amazing way to drum up interest for the series.

I predict an id pack or something for the midweek sale tomorrow to go along side the release of it.

I'll take a ghetto No Mercy over any of the shit WWE is putting out right now.
Plus it would be the first wrestling game on Steam. But I agree that it looks like ass.

Doesn't look bad at all. Looks like no mercy or DOR. the graphics could get better though. vote for it! imagine the mods and stuff.

louiedog

Just bought the Double Fine Bundle, which game should I play first?

Surround yourself with 3 computers and free yourself from having to choose.

How quickly are you going to play them? I say time Costume Quest for the end of the month. If you haven't played Psychonauts, make it a priority.

The Last Remnant

Won the key for Deus Ex: HR.

Thanks again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom