• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I even want BFG anyways?

Optimized for consoles? If I wanted a lobotomy I'd ask for one.

oculus-rift-1.jpg

BadAss2961

Doesn't look bad at all. Looks like no mercy or DOR. the graphics could get better though. vote for it! imagine the mods and stuff.
The problem is the poor animation. No Mercy came out 12 years ago and looks better because the animation still holds up along with the tight gameplay.

Just in case anybody is thinking of getting some games;

UPDATE 10/15 10:35PM PST:

This has been, by far, our best selling deal...ever. Thanks to everyone who participated. For those who got SC1 instead of SC2, we'll get you sorted out as soon as possible.

Starting in 1.5 hours the deal of the week for the remainder of the week (until Saturday at 11:59:59PM PST) you can use SQRLUVOC to take 25% off anything in the DVG store excluding:

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
2. Borderlands 2
3. XBOX/PSN Points/Subs

Cheers,
Tony

wazoo

I have 109 games in my wishlist :(

PC gaming is a devastation for me. Coming from console retail gaming to digital download PC is like going out of Ocarino of Time prologue and discovering the Hyrule field.

deejay

can u give more impression was is the game like?

Is it hack and slash like dynasty warriors or God of War

It's an RPG with strategic elements. The world isn't open, your base acts as a hub. From there you can do several sidequests. Leveling up gives you only 1 attribute point at a time, and 1 skill point. So it isn't very deep. The combat is, however. You use the goblin for stealth and 1-on-1 fights, the orc can be used as a tank and he can take on multiple enemies at a time. The graphics are beautiful and moody and the voice acting isn't all that bad either. The main characters do a great job, though the other characters could use some work at times. Now, it doesn't sound all that exciting, but the game hardly explains anything to you, so you have to figure things out yourself when you start the game. It's a great feeling when you beat bigger groups later on. You learn to use them in your own way; it's not as straightforward as you might think, since there are several ways to use these characters in combat. Also, there's very little loot. Occasionally you'll find a chest or receive an item, but that's it. This is no Diablo or Torchlight. It's a (mostly) story driven game.
That's about it, I think. I'm having way too much fun with it at the moment :)

Ledsen

It's an RPG with strategic elements. The world isn't open, your base acts as a hub. From there you can do several sidequests. Leveling up gives you only 1 attribute point at a time, and 1 skill point. So it isn't very deep. The combat is, however. You use the goblin for stealth and 1-on-1 fights, the orc can be used as a tank and he can take on multiple enemies at a time. The graphics are beautiful and moody and the voice acting isn't all that bad either. The main characters do a great job, though the other characters could use some work at times. Now, it doesn't sound all that exciting, but the game hardly explains anything to you, so you have to figure things out yourself when you start the game. It's a great feeling when you beat bigger groups later on. You learn to use them in your own way; it's not as straightforward as you might think, since there are several ways to use these characters in combat. Also, there's very little loot. Occasionally you'll find a chest or receive an item, but that's it. This is no Diablo or Torchlight. It's a (mostly) story driven game.
That's about it, I think. I'm having way too much fun with it at the moment :)

Sounds way better than I expected. €4.99 Steam Sale here I come!

Catshade

What era? I think you might be confusing the old CRPG/Dungeon Crawler Bard's Tale with what's on sale now, which has nothing to do with it. The newer Bard's Tale plays like the Baldur's Gate or Champions of Norrath games for the PS2. If you can stand or like the humor it's a decent enough, if kind of mindless game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7rAnaKId3E

The old Bard's Tale (1, 2, and 3) are now included for free without additional charge in the newer Bard's Tale on Steam.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not surprised there's a Doom 3 owner discount, there should be.

I'm surprised Mark of the Ninja still doesn't have a page, I really don't think it's coming out today.

ShaneB

Too many publishers don't put up games until release.

Was talking about this yesterday as well about Chivalry:MW. I've discussed it before how odd I find it that not all games show up in the coming soon section, and just magically appear on release day. I mean I guess it's no different than a boxed copy showing up at a retail store on release day, but you'd think it's easier to get a digital game showing in a coming soon section than it is to do physical marketing and have to worry about that stuff.

marrec

Banned
lol.

I have read many people describing Dishonored like Mark of The Ninja at times, so just wondering.

For me Mark of the Ninja was much more engrossing as a stealth title. Dishonored didn't do much in terms of advancement of the genre whereas Mark of the Ninja is stuffed with new and interesting ways to view sneaking around.

benjipwns

Banned
Was talking about this yesterday as well about Chivalry:MW. I've discussed it before how odd I find it that not all games show up in the coming soon section, and just magically appear on release day. I mean I guess it's no different than a boxed copy showing up at a retail store on release day, but you'd think it's easier to get a digital game showing in a coming soon section than it is to do physical marketing and have to worry about that stuff.
Beyond that I really don't understand why they don't put things up for pre-order.

You want the game, it's up, you buy it...even if you forget about it, are you going to cancel?

Will you really lose sales if it's up for pre-order for weeks on the store?

GenkiPatton

Neo Member
Has it been overhauled at all since its release elsewhere? Mainly, have the typos been fixed?

Fair question and yes, this is revised version that was pushed out after the initial release - all typos have been fixed, an image was swapped out, config screen converted in English and a Japanese text line that popped up was removed.

For me Mark of the Ninja was much more engrossing as a stealth title. Dishonored didn't do much in terms of advancement of the genre whereas Mark of the Ninja is stuffed with new and interesting ways to view sneaking around.

Ah thanks :D

Sorry if my question wasn't as clear. I'm much more interested in stealth titles, and would probably play Dishonored that way too.

marrec

Banned
Ah thanks :D

Sorry if my question wasn't as clear. I'm much more interested in stealth titles, and would probably play Dishonored that way too.

Dishonored is a fine entry in stealth, but it's much more of a hybrid stealth/action title than Mark of the Ninja. If you get busted in Dishonored then you can just as easily slaughter everyone in a 5 miles radius as you can escape, there isn't much tension built into the system.

What morality system?

The Chaos system in Dishonored is basically a morality system.

Forkball

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare should go up in a few hours. It's apparently Steamworks too. No reviews or anything yet, it should be interesting to see how it compares to Mount and Blade and War of the Roses.

Eusis

What morality system?
Whether you want to murder everyone or not, ofcourse.

At least it's an easy one to give into temptation for, you get such great skills for killing people with.
Dishonored is a fine entry in stealth, but it's much more of a hybrid stealth/action title than Mark of the Ninja. If you get busted in Dishonored then you can just as easily slaughter everyone in a 5 miles radius as you can escape, there isn't much tension built into the system.
Or blink to a roof and hide for a few minutes, assuming you didn't set off an imbecile who never ever stops firing his gun. Ever.

Eusis

As for Doom 3: Man, I wish I got an even deeper discount for having Doom 1 and 2 already. As is, I think I wish I could magically make this apply to consoles, as the appeal would be more in having most of the series on a single disc to play on PS3/360 as I wish.

PhaZZe

Banned
New giveaway from Amazon Square Bundle this time Just Cause 1.

Quote too see link, this time its private so (first time), enjoy it, only 2 hours!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As for Doom 3: Man, I wish I got an even deeper discount for having Doom 1 and 2 already. As is, I think I wish I could magically make this apply to consoles, as the appeal would be more in having most of the series on a single disc to play on PS3/360 as I wish.

The discount should have been on the order of 75%. Doom 3: BFG makes sense for the PS360, but it's practically unnecessary for the PC. I'm sure Bethesda could have managed a few more impulse purchases if it had bothered to include a hat or two.

I'm not surprised there's a Doom 3 owner discount, there should be.

I'm surprised Mark of the Ninja still doesn't have a page, I really don't think it's coming out today.

Chivalry is due out today also but still doesn't have a page. They said they would have preferred a midnight launch but their release time was "up to Valve/Steam". The game is currently scheduled to go live around 1 PM EDT, I believe.

Mark of the Ninja may be in a similar situation so it might just show up out of the blue at some point during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom