• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I didn't find it janky like those games at all, but maybe all the fun was clouding my judgement.

I want to try Chivalry, but with Mark of the Ninja in Steam too I might as well rob a bank at this point. How much is it though? I miss when Steam tells us how much an upcoming game will cost, as well as having their own page.

Oh, here's an Oil Rush key if anyone's interested.

Too expensive. It's 25 bucks, and the 4-pack is 18.75 a piece. It's a shame, because I think the game would have done really well at a lower price point.

Detox

Blackwell is amazing. To The Moon is amazing. Everybody says everything is amazing, and I don't trust 'em anymore, not after the Serious Sam 3 recommendations, the playing of which was like pulling teeth. People said The Stanley Parable was amazing, and it is trite and stupid. What makes Blackwell amazing? What makes To The Moon also amazing? I mean this in a sincere, interested way, rather than lashing out at nothing like an insane person.

To the moon has amazing story and music and if that doesn't interest then stay far away from it. The gameplay is almost non-existent. There is a demo on the official site within 10 minutes you will know whether it is for you or not.

I think they're good games for their respective genre (not that I've played the Blackwell series). Blackwell games are supposed to be good point-and-clicks with a solid story, characterization, and puzzles that more or less make sense. To the Moon is a visual novel with a great premise, interesting story that works with the premise, and a fantastic soundtrack.

If you didn't like Serious Sam 3, it might've been cause you didn't like the genre, or the first few levels were awful and not indicative of the batshit insanity of the series.

I hated Serious Sam 3. Loved the genre, but I was so let down from the game I deleted it after the ending.

Played it with a friend too, can't remember us actually happily playing the game at any point.

To The Moon however, has a great story. Clunky controls, but oh it made me cry. Play it.

How is Blackwell Conspiracy and Reprisal? Not sure if I should play both or trade.

ShaneB

Too expensive. It's 25 bucks, and the 4-pack is 18.75 a piece. It's a shame, because I think the game would have done really well at a lower price point.

:( Agreed. It would've been solid at 15$ and a four pack for like 50$ or something, and it was a kickstarter was it not? Still though, I think I'll bite into a 4 pack. I've already played the beta more than I've paid 18$+ for some games.

Like you said, it is damn fun! lol

HoosTrax

To the moon has amazing story and music and if that doesn't interest then stay far away from it. The gameplay is almost non-existent. There is a demo on the official site within 10 minutes you will know whether it is for you or not.
How long is it? It sounds like something I would want to finish in one sitting, but I don't know if I should hold off on it until the weekend.

MDSLKTR

BUY THIS GAME
Workshop_announcement_grimrock.jpg

Finally done after 24 hours and wasn't tired of it one bit. Although I had to cheat trough many sections with the help of a walktrough (in retrospect some sections seem downright impossible without one... ). Deeply engrossing, amazing level-design, clever puzzles and pc quality engine. I'm a fan of the genre now. Bring on a sequel.

:( Agreed. It would've been solid at 15$ and a four pack for like 50$ or something, and it was a kickstarter was it not? Still though, I think I'll bite into a 4 pack. I've already played the beta more than I've paid 18$+ for some games.

Like you said, it is damn fun! lol

The 4-pack price seems fair enough. I agree that the above pricing would have been a much better entry point, especially in such a crowded release month, but the regular price is still cheaper than War of the Roses and the game looks to be superior in a lot of ways.

I'm setting up a 4-pack when I get off work. It won't be until around 5:30 PM EDT, so let me know if you're interested.

Has there been any news if Guild Wars 2 is ever coming to Steam?

Before release ArenaNet President Mike O'Brien said the following during a Reddit AMA:

No, it almost certainly won’t be on Steam. Valve has some new business terms will keep almost all new MMOs off Steam.

I doubt Steam's rules have substantially changed, and I assume that rule set he's referring to would be the fact all DLC has to be purchasable through Steam, meaning ANet couldn't have their item shop set up as they wish [or at least would lose out everytime a player used Steam to purchase in-game currency].

So it's unlikely the game will ever be out on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Before release ArenaNet President Mike O'Brien said the following during a Reddit AMA:

I doubt Steam's rules have substantially changed, and I assume that rule set he's referring to would be the fact all DLC has to be purchasable through Steam, meaning ANet couldn't have their item shop set up as they wish [or at least would lose out everytime a player used Steam to purchase in-game currency].

I think Valve has become less strict in this regard, if the following is any indication (and still the case):

Weird. Vindictus, the Nexon F2P game, used to have players who bought their premium currency have to add credits to Steam wallet and then buy it with that. Now it just redirects to Nexon's site so people buy directly from them.

Or maybe Valve is just playing favourites since Nexon is its partner for CS: Online. :p

I think there is going to be a 4 pack, anyone down?

E: Heh I see already discussed, I'm in too deep at like 28 hours played, I have to buy it now :).

If there will be a 4 pack, and we are talking about Chivalry Medieval Something, and the price is in my affordable range. I'm in.

"If there will be a 4 pack, and we are talking about Chivalry Medieval Something, and the price is in my affordable range. I'm in."

and the 4-pack is 18.75 a piece.

I'm buying it the instant it goes live, so if someone doesn't host at that time, I will. I'll be around.

Nabs

You guys are going to make me break on Chivalry. Well, my 13 hours in the beta could be part of it.

I think I'm going to hold off until a sale so more friends can pick it up. It's always fun being on a team with 3-5 buddies.

You guys are going to make me break on Chivalry. Well, my 13 hours in the beta could be part of it.

I think I'm going to hold off until a sale so more friends can pick it up. It's always fun being on a team with 3-5 buddies.

That's what I'm going to do as well. Will try to convince some friends later in a sale.

Would love to play with you guys, but being in Malaysia will probably make the whole game have teleportations galore.

Nymerio

So it's unlikely the game will ever be out on Steam.

Wait, I don't think being on steam means you can't sell ingame items through an in-game store. Isn't it just that every dlc has to be available on steam? So that customers don't miss out on dlc if they bought a game on steam and the publisher decides against releasing a dlc on steam?

I mean, you can buy items in Tribes through the game with their gold and the only steam dlc available are the starter packs as far as I can see.

Wait, I don't think being on steam means you can't sell ingame items through an in-game store. Isn't it just that every dlc has to be available on steam? So that customers don't miss out on dlc if they bought a game on steam and the publisher decides against releasing a dlc on steam?

I mean, you can buy items in Tribes through the game with their gold and the only steam dlc available are the starter packs as far as I can see.

I think they just don't want to give Valve 30% for using their service.

It's alright though. I love Steam, but I wouldn't want it to monopolize the whole industry too.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It may really be that you just need to be able to buy stuff ether in game or though steam, didn't some Dragon Age and Mass Effect DLC have to totally go though other websites, and couldn't even be done in game?

This is seriously the best gaming day of the year for me, Chivalry and Mark of the Ninja coming out at the same time! 2 favorite genres: FPMelee and Stealth.

Lol Chivalry steam review prepped, how does this sound?

Holy Hell buy this game! It has it's warts, such as emotes that sound like Chris Farley in the bathroom, but I've been waiting years for it! First Person Melee with great visuals and the gameplay/combat is so fun you will find yourself swaying in your chair to the swing of the weapons in-game! Hilariously fun.

BUY THIS GAME

<GrimRock Pic>

Finally done after 24 hours and wasn't tired of it one bit. Although I had to cheat trough many sections with the help of a walktrough (in retrospect some sections seem downright impossible without one... ). Deeply engrossing, amazing level-design, clever puzzles and pc quality engine. I'm a fan of the genre now. Bring on a sequel.

I actually just gave up on this guy and kicked if off of the backlog after about 3 hours. I can totally see why someone would love it, so I'm not trying to knock your opinion here, but it really wasn't for me. Which is a shame, as I really loved some parts of it.

Loved:
  • Watching the map build out as I moved along (I'm a sucker for maps in games)
  • Looks great and runs smooth
  • Dark atmosphere was excellent, enjoyed the use of torches
  • Being real time seems pretty unique for a dungeon crawler (most that I've played are turns for the battles at least)

Disliked:
  • The "puzzles" were terrible for me. I like them like Braid, Portal or SpaceChem where there are a clear puzzle to figure out. In those games I would solve a puzzle and say, man that was clever. Everything that I hit in Grimrock just leaves me feeling like it was a stupid puzzle. They all seem to be less smarts and more random searching, poking, repeating tedious steps, or trying to parse cryptic text. Just not what I enjoy.
  • Monster / encounter variety is pretty low. Encounters all seem to play out very similarly with small variations based on room size / number
  • With the real time engine it's easy to exploit with quick move + attack combo. Now I'm not against cheese if it's fun (much of Dark Souls) but Grimrock cheese was not very enjoyable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom