• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm secretly hoping that Dishonored falls off the top 10 quick, so there'll be a quick sale to get it back up again.

And I shall be there like a fat dog on biscuits.

Guess I'll get mark of the ninja...someday. I have a feeling it's yet another 2D indie game that people are drastically over hyping but I'm intrigued on how they supposedly pull stealth off in a 2D environment. Because when I think about it I can't figure it out.

2D stealth, although not to the extent in MotN, was accomplished over a decade ago with Abe's Oddysee. And kinda prior to that with games like Flashback or Hunter/Hunted.

Derrick01

Banned
2D stealth, although not to the extent in MotN, was accomplished over a decade ago with Abe's Oddysee. And kinda prior to that with games like Flashback or Hunter/Hunted.

But is it done as well as thief/splinter cell/hitman and other 3D stealth games to a lesser degree? I just can't imagine most of the mechanics working since you're limited to such a small and linear playing field.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Guys. How can I buy Doom3 BFG from the US store. I'm in the UK.

jediyoshi

cue countdown for 'hide dlc for games you don't own' filter

PIDWP.jpg

Joe Molotov

I just counted and there are 27 pieces of Dungeon Defenders DLC (including all the free ones). You might think that was a record, but you'd be wrong. Magic: The Gathering - Duel of the Planeswalker 2012 has 43.

Edit: And now Rocksmith has a million. Thanks Ubisoft.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Judas Priest?

Aw shit.

I just counted and there are 27 pieces of Dungeon Defenders DLC (including all the free ones). You might think that was a record, but you'd be wrong. Magic: The Gathering - Duel of the Planeswalker 2012 has 43.

Ain't got shit on railworks, i'm sure.

EDIT: Yup, Train Simulator 2013 shows 66 DLCs.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Unfriend that person.
Hahaha, this made me laugh.

Worth it, though I am still feeling a little disappointed with Serious Sam 3. 2 is kinda mixed bag of shit and good, but First and Second Encounters are just good old school dumb shootin.
The Serious Sam games aren't bad investments if you have somebody to blast through them with, but Serious Sam 3 in particular vastly overstays its welcome purely due to the penultimate level, which, when playing through it, you'll be certain never ends.
I don't have anyone to play them with, sadly. I'd play them single player only, it's a shame SS3 is kinda mediocre.

Wok

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare should go up in a few hours. It's apparently Steamworks too. No reviews or anything yet, it should be interesting to see how it compares to Mount and Blade and War of the Roses.

The beta is well done. You feel the weight of your armor when you try to move. But you also feel the power of your arm when you hit someone with a sword and he uses his shield to parry and counter.

Does chivalry have any Single Player content, or it's all Multiplayer like War of the Roses?

In the beta, the single player content consisted in a basic and an advanced tutorial.

Salsa

Yeah, some Spy items would make sense. They got a lot of crap for their work in the Torchlight II cutscenes but I like their style.

problem with the torchlight cutscenes is that they just didnt fit the style at all. Such a weird decision

I do like their style though, and im glad Mark of The Ninja seems to deliver on the aspects where Shank somewhat failed

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, some Spy items would make sense. They got a lot of crap for their work in the Torchlight II cutscenes but I like their style.

I was more offended that Torchlight 2 even had cutscenes, not really the manner in which they were done.

I mean, does anyone give a shit about what is going on in that story? I certainly didn't. I don't need an excuse to click on pretty new locations, just take me there.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think cutscenes are offensive per se...I thought the Torchlight II ones were skippable but maybe I'm wrong? It should just be a situation where people who like cutscenes can see them, and people don't cannot, and everyone pretty much wins.

problem with the torchlight cutscenes is that they just didnt fit the style at all. Such a weird decision

I do like their style though, and im glad Mark of The Ninja seems to deliver on the aspects where Shank somewhat failed

Oh, I see. I thought people were hating on it because of the way it looked. Yeah it's definitely a different style compared to what Runic has going on.

I was more offended that Torchlight 2 even had cutscenes, not really the manner in which they were done.

I mean, does anyone give a shit about what is going on in that story? I certainly didn't. I don't need an excuse to click on pretty new locations, just take me there.

Good point, haha. I never paid a bit of attention to the story. I guess the cutscenes were just meant to be polish.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think cutscenes are offensive per se...I thought the Torchlight II ones were skippable but maybe I'm wrong? It should just be a situation where people who like cutscenes can see them, and people don't cannot, and everyone pretty much wins.

Oh they are skippable. I'm offended by the complete waste of resource and the misguided belief that people care about the Torchlight plot.

But is it done as well as thief/splinter cell/hitman and other 3D stealth games to a lesser degree? I just can't imagine most of the mechanics working since you're limited to such a small and linear playing field.

The demo at least had a large vertical component, so the playing field isn't exactly small, but what mechanics of those games do you think wouldn't work in 2D, and why?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought.
Argh...my wallet.

Also just realized I have one friend on Steam.

ID: PepsimanVsJoe

Maybe we'll play games together or something.
If I buy them tonight, will you add me and play together? I'm not at home, so if you have access to Steam right now, my ID is the same as my GAF username.

Crusader Kings 2 is the daily deal, I expected this with the new DLC released: Legacy of Rome. But that one isn't included in the discount nor the collection package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom