• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a bit of an issue with Steam lately. It seems that Portal has taken on a life of it's own and tries to download automatically every single time I boot up Steam.
Any suggestions?

Tess3ract

Banned
Port begging, apparently, although I've poked through his recent post history (call it "virtual morbid curiosity" :p) and didn't see anything that would raise such a red flag.
Port begging is bannable?

That's bullshit. This is me flipping the imaginary bird.

mik83kuu

Banned
Port begging is bannable?

That's bullshit. This is me flipping the imaginary bird.

It falls under the category of stupid shit people post that have absolutely no value what so ever. It's annoying to follow a thread for any particular game if half the posts are people expressing their desire for a port to their favorite console / PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
An easy solution for the driving back and forth is to just quit to the main menu and come back into the game. It resets you to the middle area of the DLC every time.

Yeah, but that's a solution for only the "driving back" part. ;)

The lack of fast travel in the DLC's is really annoying and seems to be a flaw in the games DLC system or something rather than them simply not including it.

The only issue I can see is that the game doesn't distinguish between DLC locations and the locations of the main campaign, and instead lumps them all together in one long list. I assume the reason the DLC campaigns don't have more than one fast travel point is so that players can easily attribute a particular location to the particular DLC it belongs to (Jakob's Cove = Dr. Ned, The Underdome = Moxxi, etc.) However, this could have been easily remedied by reorganising said list so that the DLC areas are listed under their respective headers.

From what I remember the Claptrap DLC's structure is a lot better than Knoxx, but maybe not quite as good as Dr. Ned.

Anything better than Knoxx is good enough in my book!

Detox

Can I have the old Blotter back please. Don't want to look at screenshots for games I have not played yet plus I just liked the conciseness of the old Blotter.
I agree, they should allow us to go back to the blotter but when we click a specific even it just expands it within the window to show the screenshot, achievement etc.

AlexBasch

Same thing happens randomly with New Vegas. It just feels like redownloading itself every now and then. :/

And it seems I'll be skipping the Alan Wake deal, it's a great price, but I'm not burning in desire to play it again. I've got a huge backlog already.

JaseC

I have two comments that I can't view because, presumably, they relate to the overhauled Steam Community.

1-D_FTW

So I assume I don't actually own CS:Go. Steam is saying I already own it on the store page, but this is a glitch from being in the beta, right?

Think I'm going to pick it up with some remaining Gamestop gift card, but only if I don't already own it for some bizarre reason.

JaseC

So I assume I don't actually own CS:Go. Steam is saying I already own it on the store page, but this is a glitch from being in the beta, right?

Think I'm going to pick it up with some remaining Gamestop gift card, but only if I don't already own it for some bizarre reason.

I assume so:

I'm certain that I didn't see the "You already own ..." message when I bought the game the other day, and I joined the beta months ago. I'd say the bug started when the beta went live for pre-purchasers a few days ago, on the 14th -- since pre-purchasing gets you in the beta, but the beta is already in your Library, Steam assumes you've bought the game.

IIRC, you can still add the game to your cart and purchase it.

1-D_FTW

I assume so:

IIRC, you can still add the game to your cart and purchase it.

Thanks. Have 17.50 left on a Gamestop card. So I'll probably buy it there for 13.50 and then use the remaining balance on Trine 2 DLC whenever it gets released (assuming they carry it).

Did the same thing for me, I had the beta and when I bought the full game it shows both. You are good to go on buying it.

JaseC

Here is your fun Valve fact for the day:

I find it interesting that he mentions Valve's employee count "pushing 400". The Valve Employee Handbook that leaked earlier in the year (~March [Edit: And itself is dated 2012]) has the number at less than 300. This implies that in the space of (well) less than a year the company has hired around 100 people.

Maybe Support will suck less.

*crickets*

JaseC

I'd like to extend a thanks to Snuggler for the Steam Community 2.0 invite, and also to those who offered. :) (The begging thread has quite the list, so I'd rather not name those with spare invites.)

Forkball

I wish they kept the old "friends activity" page with what your friends recently bought, hours played the past two weeks, and most wanted. The blotter is ok, but the friends activity page was very clean and easy to navigate.

JaseC

I wish they kept the old "friends activity" page with what your friends recently bought, hours played the past two weeks, and most wanted. The blotter is ok, but the friends activity page was very clean and easy to navigate.

I have two comments that I can only assume were in reply to one of my automated status updates, but the notification page hasn't been updated to link to comments on the new Friend Activity page, and as far as I can tell, your own updates aren't listed, plus clicking "My Activity" just takes you to the profile history page of yesterweek.

I'm so confused.

Wait there's another incoming sale prior to Winter? O:

If history repeats itself, there will be two: a Halloween sale in October and an Autumn/Fall sale in November.

Edit: Both are of lesser scope than the Summer/mid-year and Winter/Christmas sales, mind you.

1-D_FTW

Definitely going to wait to play Darksiders II till my new card comes. Does not run nearly as well as the first game. And sadly, while the first game was amazing in 3D, the second game is pretty much shit in 3d right now. There's a mod site (Helix Mod) that does great work implementing fixes to make games look good, but unfortunately it breaks the game if you're running patch 1.01. And considering it's Steamworks, not sure how anyone can run anything but the latest version.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Definitely going to wait to play Darksiders II till my new card comes. Does not run nearly as well as the first game. And sadly, while the first game was amazing in 3D, the second game is pretty much shit in 3d right now. There's a mod site (Helix Mod) that does great work implementing fixes to make games look good, but unfortunately it breaks the game if you're running patch 1.01. And considering it's Steamworks, not sure how anyone can run anything but the latest version.

The next Nvidia WHQL drivers will probably have better 3D support.

Wok

It is the only social feature of Steam I use.

Speevy

Banned
I didn't own Winterbottom.

In honor of National "People who don't own Winterbottom." day, the first person to quote this post (and doesn't already have Winterbottom) gets Winterbottom.

Also, have your Steam ID ready and be able to get on Steam right now.

robotnik

I didn't own Winterbottom.

In honor of National "People who don't own Winterbottom." day, the first person to quote this post (and doesn't already have Winterbottom) gets Winterbottom.

Also, have your Steam ID ready and be able to get on Steam right now.

JaseC

That's today's daily? :|

TahYo.gif

Xanathus

Winterbottom's puzzles become Braid-esque difficulty if I remember correctly. I found it way too tough around the middle of the game and stopped playing. I guess it's a good game if you want a hard puzzler, or maybe my brain doesn't handle it's type of puzzles well.

Dascu

I fully recommend The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. It's a fun, stylish and challenging puzzle-platformer. You really cannot go wrong at that price.

ngt

If anyone's got a spare coupon for Portal 2 I'm interested. A friend has just discovered Portal 1 and he's loving it. I want to give him P2. PM me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom