• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relax.MX

I need help Gaf..im playing The Last Renmant right now (8 hrs)...im with Namul Sin y a Niram Sin(boss) and is just can not win and...its just not fun anymore because the game seems to have variety but is actually very very simplified(in a silly way), i feel that i don't have control of the strategies of the game

Maybe I do not understand, someone who like this game..please, help me to like this game, i want a new JRPGs right now

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I need help Gaf..im playing The Last Renmant right now (8 hrs)...im with Namul Sin y a Niram Sin(boss) and is just can not win and...its just not fun anymore because the game seems to have variety but is actually very very simplified(in a silly way), i feel that i don't have control of the strategies of the game

Maybe I do not understand, someone who like this game..please, help me to like this game, i want a new JRPGs right now

I had the same problem. The only sure-fire way to beat a boss you're having trouble with is to just grind, it's a shitty answer I know, but TLR is just like that (You can try to change up union formations and whatnot but it's very hit or miss). I kept playing waiting for the game to get better since GAF praises it so much and it just never did.

I ended up having to use a trainer because I couldn't beat the last few bosses refused to grind anymore.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I beat Binary Domain today, and I can say I really enjoyed the gameplay. What will probably keep me from replaying the game anytime soon is the constant chatter. The game has so many cutscenes and I don't think they are skippable. Lots of slow-walking sequences where partners talk and you just are forced to slow-walk until the conversation is over.

The gameplay shines and it's fun to kill robots. The graphics are pretty too and it runs so damn smooth. I played with a 360 controller and had a great time. But again, I wish so many action games would stop feeling like football with the start-stop, start-stop with the gameplay and mandatory cut scenes. I like dialog and story in my games but c'mon! The game can be a tease sometimes with the gameplay and then suddenly you have to sit around for too damn long.

My 3 year old son would get bored and walk out of the room when I'd be forced to walk around during a gameplay lull. UGH!

Mairu

I like Steam/Valve but I do rather agree with some of these points. If I recall correctly the Steam store has "Buy" buttons instead of "Subscribe" or "Add Subscription" buttons as well.

I'm pretty sure I have seen people mention this mutliple times, so I got curious enough to check. Origin license agreement:

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/eula/US/en/ORIGIN/

Subscription/license stuff aside (not sure if it's comparable to Steam), where in there does it mention lawsuits, class action or otherwise?

For that matter, can you link me to at least two other services' license agreements that do have class action options, since you said that all the other services have them? (even GoG?)

I see someone else responded, but just in case anyone is in doubt, here's the section: http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section20
This provision applies to all consumers to the fullest extent allowable by law, but expressly excludes residents of Quebec, Russia, Switzerland and the Member States of the European Union. By accepting these terms, you and EA expressly waive the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action.

wow/bnet - http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html
You and Blizzard agree that any arbitration shall be limited to the Dispute between Blizzard and you individually. To the full extent permitted by law, (1) no arbitration shall be joined with any other; (2) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be arbitrated on a class-action basis or to utilize class action procedures; and (3) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be brought in a purported representative capacity on behalf of the general public or any other persons.

amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=508088
Any dispute or claim relating in any way to your visit to Amazon.com or to products or services sold or distributed by Amazon or through Amazon.com will be resolved by binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that you may assert claims in small claims court if your claims qualify. The Federal Arbitration Act and federal arbitration law apply to this agreement.

sony - http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/terms-of-service/
ANY DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCEEDINGS, WHETHER IN ARBITRATION OR COURT, WILL BE CONDUCTED ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT IN A CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR AS A NAMED OR UNNAMED MEMBER IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED, REPRESENTATIVE OR PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL ACTION, UNLESS BOTH YOU AND THE SONY ENTITY WITH WHICH YOU HAVE A DISPUTE SPECIFICALLY AGREE TO DO SO IN WRITING FOLLOWING INITIATION OF THE ARBITRATION.

ms- http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/livetou
18.1.6. CLASS ACTION WAIVER. YOU AND MICROSOFT AGREE THAT ANY PROCEED­INGS TO RESOLVE OR LITIGATE ANY DISPUTE, WHETHER IN ARBITRATION, IN COURT, OR OTHERWISE, WILL BE CONDUCTED SOLELY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS, AND THAT NEITHER YOU NOR MICROSOFT WILL SEEK TO HAVE ANY DISPUTE HEARD AS A CLASS ACTION, A REPRESENTATIVE ACTION, A COLLECTIVE ACTION, A PRIVATE ATTORNEY-GENERAL ACTION, OR IN ANY PROCEEDING IN WHICH YOU OR MICROSOFT ACTS OR PROPOSES TO ACT IN A REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY. YOU AND MICROSOFT FURTHER AGREE THAT NO ARBITRATION OR PROCEEDING WILL BE JOINED, CONSOLIDATED, OR COMBINED WITH ANOTHER ARBITRATION OR PROCEEDING WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF YOU, MICROSOFT, AND ALL PARTIES TO ANY SUCH ARBITRATION OR PROECCEDING.

GoG is probably safe though! :p

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I also noticed that this sort of thing apparently cropped up in 2011, when a US court ruled that class action exclusion clauses were legal. I suppose they started appearing everywhere at that point.

Mairu

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I also noticed that this sort of thing apparently cropped up in 2011, when a US court ruled that class action exclusion clauses were legal. I suppose they started appearing everywhere at that point.

Yep! Unfortunately, people should expect that in pretty much every online agreement. I think the earliest one I can remember making the rounds of the news was Sony

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In what way? I've been wanting to change my Steam username for years but last I read they don't allow it for some inexplicable reason.

The Steam Community update allows you to set a secondary name for users on your Friends list, so you can keep track of who's who. For example:

QYFpZ.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Is all of Alan Wake franchise worth it for $10? How does it stack up to the XBox version....which I haven't played.
I haven't played them yet myself, but I haven't heard anything terrible about the PC versions that I recall. As far as I am aware, they are decent ports, and there are some added PC things -- maybe some command line options, or free camera if you like taking screenshots.

As for the games themselves, I get the impression that the good aspects of the game are the environment, hiking through the mountains, and reading the bits of story (there may be books lying around or something to fill it in). On the flip side, if you are not into the story, and you do not like the atmosphere, you might find the remainder of the game -- lots of shooting -- repetitive.

Again, I have not PLAYED the games, but that is my impression from people who have given impressions. :p

I am not used to having so much for $10. I am afraid I might impulse buy too much. Pretty new to Steam tbh. The sales are amazing. I feel bad I was computer-less throughout the entire summer sale though.

I guess I will think about buying Alan Wake. I haven't played a good adventure game in a while. I love the look of the atmosphere. But yeah, I think I recall hearing on a podcast that the shooting wasn't that hot.

Is all of Alan Wake franchise worth it for $10? How does it stack up to the XBox version....which I haven't played.

I dunno about the quality of the PC port (although I have heard it is good), but the game is well worth your time. The combat can get a little repetitive, but the lighting, story tellings, setpieces and general oppressive atmosphere easily make it worth that much. I found it one of the coolest and most memorable games I have played for a long time.

Will Alan Wake run ok on Intel HD4000 graphics?

I've found it runs recentish games pretty damn well (Fallout, Bioshock) but I've read Alan Wake had massive issues with the HD3000.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I dunno about the quality of the PC port (although I have heard it is good), but the game is well worth your time. The combat can get a little repetitive, but the lighting, story tellings, setpieces and general oppressive atmosphere easily make it worth that much. I found it one of the coolest and most memorable games I have played for a long time.

The port job is fantastic, if a little CPU bound last I checked. Extremely tweak-able settings and the game looks great even on all low settings. Takes a beast of a machine to max out completely but it's a true stunner even though you'll come across a horrible low poly object here and there or a blurry texture.

Will Alan Wake run ok on Intel HD4000 graphics?

I've found it runs recentish games pretty damn well (Fallout, Bioshock) but I've read Alan Wake had massive issues with the HD3000.

I would not count on the HD4000 to pull acceptable framerates for Alan Wake. Maybe, maybe if everything was at the absolute lowest it could go on a low resolution.

That's good to hear. Atmosphere means a lot to me. So much that I can easily forgive various shortcomings, such as repetitive combat. I don't have any games that take place in such a place.

Oh, and CheesecakeRecipie I think you might have sold me on the game. I want as many "eye-candy" games as I can get. Haven't had a PC very long, but so far I have been able to run most of my things at high settings.

Bluth54

I love Alan Wake. One of my favorite games of the generation. It's a good port too, easily worth $10 by itself. I played it twice on the 360 and once on the PC and loved it every time. The only major complaint I have is the combat can get a bit repetitive, though obviously not so much that would cause a problem since I played it through 3 times.

I was pretty disappointed by American Nightmare. They focused way too much on combat, while the atmosphere, characters, story, and setting took a back seat (and those were the things I loved the most about Alan Wake). The structure of the game is very repetitive too (though I can't really talk about that without spoiling the story). Still it does advance the story so it's worth playing at least once.

For $10 I highly recommend picking up the franchise pack.

Alan Wake just bought! Thanks for info. I can't wait to get the room dark tomorrow, put on some headphones, and lose myself in it. Can't wait! The setting looks too good to pass up.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That's good to hear. Atmosphere means a lot to me. So much that I can easily forgive various shortcomings, such as repetitive combat. I don't have any games that take place in such a place.

Oh, and CheesecakeRecipie I think you might have sold me on the game. I want as many "eye-candy" games as I can get. Haven't had a PC very long, but so far I have been able to run most of my things at high settings.

I only have steam screenshots so forgive me for the artifacting, but you can see an example of how it stacks up here (make sure to view in full res to see the texture and shadow/fog differences):

All low

High/Ultra

Wow, the atmosphere is great. It really reminds me of places I have been before in real life. If it does darkness well, than I will be happy. Are there many daytime scenes?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There's a few, and a special "God Rays" setting just for the daytime scenes in the video options for optional daytime ambiance.

Really just a great port for a fantastic game, one of my favorites for sure.

JaseC

I was pretty disappointed by American Nightmare. They focused way too much on combat, while the atmosphere, characters, story, and setting took a back seat (and those were the things I loved the most about Alan Wake). The structure of the game is very repetitive too (though I can't really talk about that without spoiling the story). Still it does advance the story so it's worth playing at least once.

American Nightmare was too constrained by the XBLA size limit (2GB). I like the concept of basing the game around hub areas, but the game has just three of them and they're all very small.

Hahahah. I started the day not knowing or caring about Alan Wake at all, and then seeing it all there for $10 was too hard to resist. Sounds like I made a great purchase.

Blizzard

Banned
Hahahah. I started the day not knowing or caring about Alan Wake at all, and then seeing it all there for $10 was too hard to resist. Sounds like I made a great purchase.
Now all you need to do is tone your hype down while it downloads, adopt the opinion that we all led you wrong and you have low expectations. Then, you should be pleasantly surprised and enjoy it even if you run across negative aspects. :p

Now all you need to do is tone your hype down while it downloads, adopt the opinion that we all led you wrong and you have low expectations. Then, you should be pleasantly surprised and enjoy it even if you run across negative aspects. :p

Sounds like a good way to approach games.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm slowly going through Alan Wake (got it from GG a while ago) and it's a big recommend so far, specially if you liked the first two Max Payne games, since you'll really appreciate Sam Lake's blend of pseudo-poetic nonsense, quasi-surreal humor and David Lynch-esque aesthetics.

The gameplay can get a little repetitive to the point the combat-heavy sections can feel like they drag a bit too long, but the story is simple but effective, and when they do pull off the TV show pacing it's just great. I wish they had a "save and leave" button after each episode, so I could just play them one at a time, not knowing what'll come next.

So far, I wish I had payed Remedy 60 bucks for Alan Wake and Rockstar 15 for Max Payne 3, instead of the other way around, but I'm confident both will give me the chance to set things straight :)

Bluth54

So far, I wish I had payed Remedy 60 bucks for Alan Wake and Rockstar 15 for Max Payne 3, instead of the other way around, but I'm confident both will give me the chance to set things straight :)
Yeah I love Alan Wake so much and I wanted to support Remedy so much that when it first came out for the PC I gifted 4 copies of the game, 1 to a friend and 3 to members of TF2 GAF. I've also gifted the franchise bundle to several other people when it's been on sale.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I love Alan Wake so much and I wanted to support Remedy so much that when it first came out for the PC I gifted 4 copies of the game, 1 to a friend and 3 to members of TF2 GAF. I've also gifted the franchise bundle to several other people when it's been on sale.
You can feel Max Payne's heart beat in Alan Wake, which is great, and speaks volumes of the value of Remedy's authorship, which I feel R* failed/didn't want to capture in MP3.

Sam Lake, like Kojima, may not be the best of writers, but (again like Kojima) whatever he pens is filled with personality and charm.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Resonance is super impressive. Anyone else played this? (LastWindow?) Some of the puzzles are fairly challenging, but nothing I haven't been able to crack yet. Story, despite the fractured start, has really pulled me in and the voice acting is very strong, surprisingly. Good stuff! Hoping it holds up from here on out.

You'll be the first should I decide to actually use them. <3

(&#9697;&#8255;&#9697;&#10047;)

It actually doesn't look half bad...?

I still don't have terribly high hopes for it, but it doesn't look bad, yeah. At least, if nothing else, some of those Necrovision guys worked on the OG Painkiller, so they are at least familiar with the game. Hoping for the best.

Alan Wake had abundant, horribly unsatisfying combat. The characters were pretty one-dimensional; Alan isn't the most interesting protagonist and I never felt like there was a good reason to go on those massive hiking ventures. The manuscript pages are 4th-grade tier writing. Like seriously mind numbing

The environments were pretty nice looking, I guess

I'd like to extend a thanks to Snuggler for the Steam Community 2.0 invite, and also to those who offered. :) (The begging thread has quite the list, so I'd rather not name those with spare invites.)
Ugh. Sorry I missed this post before I sent the friend invite.

(Not that I regret us now being friends, you understand, more that my powers of observation were particularly poor this morning. Glad you managed to get an invite :) )

JaseC

Ugh. Sorry I missed this post before I sent the friend invite.

It's all good. :)

(Not that I regret us now being friends, you understand, more that my powers of observation were particularly poor this morning. Glad you managed to get an invite :) )

Suuure. :p

Edit:
That's not the real reason!
I heard she sent nudies of herself to Nirlok! Family friendly Gaf did not approve :/

Hopefully they weren't hosted on SkyDrive. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
New Community stuff lets you add Nicknames to people on your friends list, which stays static across their name changes. Super helpful, I have people on my list who change names (what feels like) hourly.

Oh I haven't tried that yet (I have beta but I only see some hashtag about username nickname).

They have a new system where you can see past usernames.

Yeah I know that, but still it'd be nice for a notification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom