• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

usea

I feel like an idiot for buying From Dust. I just got around to playing it and it installed Ubisoft's uplay shit. I can't even play it unless I make a uplay account and sign in with it. Makes me so angry. Steam should not sell games that require shit like uplay or windows live or whatever. I feel ripped off.

I feel like an idiot for buying From Dust. I just got around to playing it and it installed Ubisoft's uplay shit. I can't even play it unless I make a uplay account and sign in with it. Makes me so angry. Steam should not sell games that require shit like uplay or windows live or whatever. I feel ripped off.

Just crack it. Should still be able to launch from Steam.

2MF

I just pressed the "I agree" button on a new license agreement, but at the same time I pushed an internal button in my brain which says "ok whatever, I agree, but I'll also do my best to avoid buying games on Steam from now on".

Derrick01

Banned
I just pressed the "I agree" button on a new license agreement, but at the same time I pushed an internal button in my brain which says "ok whatever, I agree, but I'll also do my best to avoid buying games on Steam from now on".

Thanks for letting us know.

More sales for us.

Detox

I just spent half an hour figuring out how to get to the blotter you have to double click the friends tab which makes no sense as the rest of steam operates on one click. I actually got to it once before by accident and hit the back button staring at the groups pages trying to figure out how I got from groups to blotter. Terrible decision to have friends tab go to the last page you opened on it so it kept going to my profile. Is this UI decision bad or am I just dumb?

Speevy

Banned

You should have pressed the "Agree, with some reservations." button. HAHA YOU LOST ALL YOUR RIGHTS.

Mairu

ok just make sure you aren't buying your games anywhere else considering all the other services have similar garbage about class action lawsuits

2MF

ok just make sure you aren't buying your games anywhere else considering all the other services have similar garbage about class action lawsuits

What worries me is not the part about class action lawsuits. It's the fact that they can at any point unilaterally change the license agreement and I lose access to my games if I don't agree with it. Well that and their BS about their service being a "subscription" and not a place where you buy games (and then send you emails thanking you for your "purchase", i.e. having their cake and eating it too).

So I can still buy DRM-free games, as well as those on any download service that doesn't have this practice.

What worries me is not the part about class action lawsuits. It's the fact that they can at any point unilaterally change the license agreement and I lose access to my games if I don't agree with it. Well that and their BS about their service being a "subscription" and not a place where you buy games (and then send you emails thanking you for your "purchase", i.e. having their cake and eating it too).

So I can still buy DRM-free games, as well as those on any download service that doesn't have this practice.

So CDProject, indie and old games.

Mad props if you can do it.

2MF

So CDProject, indie and old games.

Mad props if you can do it.

I didn't say I will absolutely boycott Steam, but I will definitely spend less money there. Basically I will only buy any game I really want and that I can't find anywhere else. For example, purchasing something on impulse because it looks interesting will be a thing of the past for me...

I will try to put my money where my mouth is, which is what everyone should do.

Blizzard

Banned

I like Steam/Valve but I do rather agree with some of these points. If I recall correctly the Steam store has "Buy" buttons instead of "Subscribe" or "Add Subscription" buttons as well.

I'm pretty sure I have seen people mention this mutliple times, so I got curious enough to check. Origin license agreement:

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/eula/US/en/ORIGIN/

Subscription/license stuff aside (not sure if it's comparable to Steam), where in there does it mention lawsuits, class action or otherwise?

For that matter, can you link me to at least two other services' license agreements that do have class action options, since you said that all the other services have them? (even GoG?)

yamo

Kinda agree with you. It's weird how I can be prohibited to play games I bought a long time ago if I don't accept a license agreement that wasn't actually valid when I bought the games in question.

I could understand if they would prohibit me from buying new games unless I accept, but not playing games I bought before the new license agreement.

iNvid02

2MF raises a valid point which has been discussed at length both over in GAFs own subscriber agreement thread, and on the massive thread in the steam forums.

Not accepting the agreement should not prevent you from accessing your games, especially considering restricted and suspended accounts still retain access to their purchases.

I didn't say I will absolutely boycott Steam, but I will definitely spend less money there. Basically I will only buy any game I really want and that I can't find anywhere else. For example, purchasing something on impulse because it looks interesting will be a thing of the past for me...

I will try to put my money where my mouth is, which is what everyone should do.

No, I understand. It really is a shit thing to do and I hope that Valve listens to the community as they've done in the past. Knowing them it'll be a long time until they fix it though :/
I'm sorry if I came off as condescending but because it's Valve I trust them to do right by their consumers.

I've sent you a friend request on Steam.

Are you the Planet Hulk version of JaseC?

2MF raises a valid point which has been discussed at length both over in GAFs own subscriber agreement thread, and on the massive thread in the steam forums.

Not accepting the agreement should not prevent you from accessing your games, especially considering restricted and suspended accounts still retain access to their purchases.

I think online retailers are trying to change the definition of "buy" on the internet. They don't consider it to be the same as buying a physical item at a retailer.

Joe Molotov

Subscription/license stuff aside (not sure if it's comparable to Steam), where in there does it mention lawsuits, class action or otherwise?

For that matter, can you link me to at least two other services' license agreements that do have class action options, since you said that all the other services have them? (even GoG?)

Sony and Microsoft have clauses like this for XBLA/PSN.

Nabs

I like Steam/Valve but I do rather agree with some of these points. If I recall correctly the Steam store has "Buy" buttons instead of "Subscribe" or "Add Subscription" buttons as well.

I'm pretty sure I have seen people mention this mutliple times, so I got curious enough to check. Origin license agreement:

http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service

Blizzard

Banned
Sony and Microsoft have clauses like this for XBLA/PSN.
You're right (http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/terms-of-service/ and http://www.xbox.com/en-US/legal/livetou).

However, that's not what the claim was, was it? The claim was "all the other services have similar garbage about class action lawsuits". I guess I think of "the other services" as "other digital retailers on PC than Steam" rather than "console digital services", but maybe I misunderstood the intent there.

Also, I'm no lawyer, but the PSN license agreement does seem to have an option about opting out of the class action waiver via sending a notice in writing, but I didn't see anything saying you would lose access to all your previously purchased games if you did that...is that the case? I'm not familiar with PSN.

Ah thanks, it's in there then. I found the Origin TOS first and didn't realize there was a second EA one. A brief search didn't turn up a class action waiver for Amazon digital download but I might have just missed it as well.

bonesquad

What worries me is not the part about class action lawsuits. It's the fact that they can at any point unilaterally change the license agreement and I lose access to my games if I don't agree with it.

That is a valid point, but I don't think it's a point to be overly concerned about. If Valve ever did anything that actually affected your ability to play previously purchased games or similar action there would be such a shit storm that would be the end of Valve. Why would they do that. So far all these EULA changes are just CYA.

I'm not worried and will continue to buy off Steam as my preferred method. Now back to TF2.

Mikor

Man I wish Steam would tell me if a friend changed his username. It gets confusing sometimes :/

New Community stuff lets you add Nicknames to people on your friends list, which stays static across their name changes. Super helpful, I have people on my list who change names (what feels like) hourly.

LuffyZoro

For the past couple of days (since at least the MvM TF2 update), I haven't been able to launch any games. When I press play, it comes up with a box that says "Scanning for Steam games updates..." that never goes away. Any ideas on fixing?

For the past couple of days (since at least the MvM TF2 update), I haven't been able to launch any games. When I press play, it comes up with a box that says "Scanning for Steam games updates..." that never goes away. Any ideas on fixing?
Delete clientregistry.blob. When you start Steam, it will "update" for 5-10 minutes then you should be good to go. It was happening to me the other day too.

HoosTrax

DA: O is pretty much your Bioware template followed to the bone, but there's some cool surprises and I find hard not to like its old-school charm.
Ok, after playing a bit more, I think I need to start over and pick Rogue instead, and put all of my points into persuasion.

How is there no "bash lock" ability in this Bioware game? What an odd thing to decide to remove, especially considering you can kick people's doors in as you please.

The New Friends and Community UI's are such a cluster fuck. How do I get out of the beta?

I don't think you can get out of it.

Although you could just not click the tabs, why would you need the Community tab if you think it's a clusterfuck? You can access all the stuff in the My Profile tab at the top left.

The Friends stuff is quite annoying yes, since I like to see the recent stuff my friends have done. But now every thing takes up a lot of space.

Exuro

Yeah the only thing I really like about the update is the game hubs. Kind of feels like profiles and groups are pushed away a bit(despite groups getting an upgrade). The big focus/easy access is on recent friend updates, aka blotter with like/dislike, and game hubs/workshop/greenlight.

So having to create a Steam account and signing in to play your games is perfectly acceptable, but having to create a Ubi account is the end of the world? Okay.

Does anyone know how to access the screenshot manager with the new community? You know, the window that shows you a local copy of your screenshots that you might not have uploaded to the cloud yet? It used to be in the menu at the top of the client but it got removed and I can't seem to find any way to access it now.

HoosTrax

Does anyone know how to access the screenshot manager with the new community? You know, the window that shows you a local copy of your screenshots that you might not have uploaded to the cloud yet? It used to be in the menu at the top of the client but it got removed and I can't seem to find any way to access it now.
68166044.png

86006819.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, after playing a bit more, I think I need to start over and pick Rogue instead, and put all of my points into persuasion.

How is there no "bash lock" ability in this Bioware game? What an odd thing to decide to remove, especially considering you can kick people's doors in as you please.
Rogue is a lot of fun, def my favorite class.

Assuming you're not using a Mac: Right click the icon in the Notification Area (beside the clock) or the Task Bar (if running Windows 7), then click Screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom