• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Chivalry is better, sorry.
Better netcode: Okay, but the community will never rival
Better physics: Pointless
Better combat: Fuck no

You forgot shitty performance unless your computer is top of the line.
I'm actually not sure of that since turning down all the settings still didn't get me something completely stable.

ShaneB

I'm actually not sure of that since turning down all the settings still didn't get me something completely stable.

I play with everything on high and get a pretty stable 30fps on my laptop, which is decent, but definitely not top of the line.

Don't worry, it sucks. Just play Warband.

Chivalry is amazing. :O

I play with everything maxed and get a consistent 60 FPS in full 32 player matches. I do have a pretty decent setup though...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
30fps is unacceptable in a high action game like that. It's clunky and unresponsive, especially when you have to respond to quick arm movements. When I turned settings down, 60fps became more common but the 30fps moments did not become less common, not that the 60fps moments made the gameplay good. I thought it was just a shitty system and poorly implemented in general.

Really, for what the game was doing, there is no excuse for performance like that. Any other UE3 game I've played runs at a solid 60fps, and with most (not Arkham City) I can get away with 2x or even 4x (Alice) SSAA and keep that, so I don't know what they fucked up with Chivalry.

xJavonta

Banned
Mark of The Ninja. You're not even sure if South Park is that good yet. Mark of The Ninja however, is 90% on metacritic.

I would go with South Park, but I'm a sucker for anything South Park and I love Obsidian's games.

Edit: Also I recently started DA2 and I actually like it. I have yet to understand what all the hate is about.

GAF, my main hard drive is in dire need of an upgrade, and during this time, I would like to try out putting Steam on my main and the games on my secondary. I know that there is an official way to do this now, so could someone show me the way?

Nabs

It ran well on my 5850. No issues here.

I would go with South Park, but I'm a sucker for anything South Park and I love Obsidian's games.

Edit: Also I recently started DA2 and I actually like it. I have yet to understand what all the hate is about.

I couldn't finish it. I find it inferior to the first one in a lot of ways.

I started disliking it after a while. Glad you're enjoying it though.

Hakkuei

I get a steady 60 fps with my old 4870.

GAF, my main hard drive is in dire need of an upgrade, and during this time, I would like to try out putting Steam on my main and the games on my secondary. I know that there is an official way to do this now, so could someone show me the way?
If you want to do it the official way I think you're going to have to re-download all you games.

Salsa

man I should do this with my SSD. I want Steam to boot up fast and not have the HDD get noisy whenever the grid cache "restarts". Just throw everygame on my regular hard drive but the steam application itself on the SSD

im just way too lazy

You'll see eventually...

Act 3 is where everything goes to shit.

Exuro

I get a steady 60 fps with my old 4870.

If you want to do it the official way I think you're going to have to re-download all you games.
Not really. If you want to use the beta method just back up the games, start up the initial downloads with the new location, close out steam, move your games/acf to newly started location,, delete blob files, start steam, and verify. That's what I did and it worked well.

feel

Don't worry, it sucks. Just play Warband.
Isn't one an online multiplayer action game where you just go straight into combat and the other some sort of singleplayer RPG where you fight every once in a while in between a lot of management and whatnot??

Hakkuei

Not really. If you want to use the beta method just back up the games, start up the initial downloads with the new location, close out steam, move your games/acf to newly started location,, delete blob files, start steam, and verify. That's what I did and it worked well.

Ah, I didn't think it would work. It's nice to know, thanks.

Isn't one an online multiplayer action game where you just go straight into combat and the other some sort of singleplayer RPG where you fight every once in a while in between a lot of management and whatnot??
There is a huge multiplayer component in Warband.

why wasnt source as good?

DoDS never gained the same amount of content that its predecessor had. Fewer weapons, fewer factions, fewer maps and weird choices with what few classes they did have. The core of the game is still fun, Source just wasn't as good as the original though.

If you want greater detail, I think first and foremost was the severe amount of guns/classes they cut out, to boil down to make it only five (or was it six?) classes for Axis and Allied in DoDS. There wasn't exact parity between the number of weapons/classes between the different factions--Americans, Brits and Germans--in DoD but that was one of the thigns that was kind of awesome about it. In DoDS, when I last played (years ago), it was boiled down to just the Americans and Germans, without the paratrooper maps which added some fairly awesome weapons for the Germans.

They made weird decisions with the classes they did have. Riflemen (M1 Garand/Allied and K98/German) lost the really powerful melee attacks (M1 gun butt, K98 bayonet) in exchange for slow/sluggish iron sights. Half the fun of using an M1 Garand was the gun butt melee attack. It was weird that all classes have iron sights but only two classes use them. Some, but not all, classes lost pistols in DoDS. The spray n' pray classes (Thompson and mp40) gained a melee attack (fist punch) on their primary weapon...which made no sense, they were already the easiest guns in the game to use.

They added a demolitions class in DoDS without demolition maps that required the use of bazooka's (their primary purpose in DoD, they were horrible weapons). The M1 Carbine class from DoD became the secondary weapon of the Allied demolitions class (with very few clips) in DoDS.

DoDS never gained the same amount of maps its predecessor had. I'm talking official maps, not just the community contributions that became part of the standard rotation in a lot of servers in DoD.

DoD was niche, it was never as huge as CS, it didn't get the same kind of attention or support.

I'm thinking of getting Viking: Battle for Asgard from GMG. You guys think the framerate will get unlocked some time soon?

I hope so, though right now my concern is getting all text visible with nividia cards. Hopefully by tomorrow we'll have more info. The game itself looks really great on PC. So I'm trying to give the devs the benefit of the doubt.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
sorta, it's weird, the 4-pack is in my inventory as one game

You'd have to gift the entire pack to someone if you already own the game. You can't open it and get copies in your inventory; only someone who doesn't own the game can (they'll get one and be left with three gifts).

Game Guru

Okay, I'm feeling generous, so I am offering three Steam keys to three lucky people! I have with me keys for King's Bounty: The Legend, Kung Fu Strike, and X-Blades. Just quote my post and the game you want, and I will send the key to said game via PM. One game per poster though.

EDIT: All three are gone.

Nabs

Okay, I'm feeling generous, so I am offering three Steam keys to three lucky people! I have with me keys for King's Bounty: The Legend, Kung Fu Strike, and X-Blades. Just quote my post and the game you want, and I will send the key to said game via PM. One game per poster though.

X-Blades to see how bad it is

Salsa

id take x-blades

edit: oh that's alright nabs can have it

Kung Fu Strike please I want to play it :D

bigace33

Kung Fu strike

i'll take king's bounty if it's still available

Game Guru

no prob, it was just morbid curiosity. Thanks for offering the freebies

Truth be told, that was because of a screw-up on my part, since I wanted to get Septerra Core in the Be Mine 5 bundle and accidentally ordered a second bundle for myself. However, given that this happened while I was out of town and that it had happened because of the great courtesy of a Dairy Queen who let me use their free Wifi for a couple of hours and gave me a free double cheeseburger because they accidentally made an extra, I was feeling rather generous and thought I'd share my accidental purchase from DQ to three of you.

Truth be told, that was because of a screw-up on my part, since I wanted to get Septerra Core in the Be Mine 5 bundle and accidentally ordered a second bundle for myself. However, given that this happened while I was out of town and that it had happened because of the great courtesy of a Dairy Queen who let me use their free Wifi for a couple of hours and gave me a free double cheeseburger because they accidentally made an extra, I was feeling rather generous and thought I'd share my accidental purchase from DQ to three of you.

Thank you very much for Kung Fu Strike :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom