• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they're remaking Painkiller and Battle Out of Hell and calling the bundle Painkiller: Hell and Damnation. No video, just stills and it's out in October. Developed by The Farm 51, whose other game seems to be the thoroughly mediocre Necrovision, and it's published by Nordic Games, who don't seem to have many, if any, good games to their name. Yay?

I got into the Eurogamer beta version, which consists of the first level. It's decidedly meh: movement system is a bit off, guns doesn't have anywhere near the omph of the original and the redesigned Painkiller is just too easy: it's an instant win button for single goons.

Ledsen

Thanks for the tip, what a bargain for TWD. Just finished Compendium #1 of the comic and am eager to try the game tonight.

Everyone says FME is awful, but it's really not bad if you take it for what it is and not be butthurt that it isn't a srpg. Otherwise it's a perfectly competent shooter with big customizable mechs and solid gameplay. The multiplayer was really fun at the time, tho I doubt anyone is still playing it.

In any case, it's well worth a fiver if you're into mechs.

Everyone says FME is awful, but it's really not bad if you take it for what it is and not be butthurt that it isn't a srpg. Otherwise it's a perfectly competent shooter with big customizable mechs and solid gameplay. The multiplayer was really fun at the time, tho I doubt anyone is still playing it.

I had never even played a Front Mission game before and the game is one of the worst I've ever played.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mad Riders is today's Daily (-66%/$4.41) and it seems decidedly average. I must have it.

Edit: Also, FME and Waveform bought.

Hah, it does look average, but it looks fun too. Someone buy it quick and post back here whether or not it's worth the sale price, because sometimes I'm in the mood for arcadey silly over the top but fun racing games...

What was so bad about it?

Pretty much everything, to me. The graphics sucked for a start, very drab. The V/A was horrible, the feel of it was floaty and disconnected, and the gameplay seemed very uninspired.

Obviously my word ain't law - some people may have fun with it - but from this non-FM fan's point of view, it really doesn't do anything to merit spending money on it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

FME is the very first Front Mission game I played, I was certainly not butthurt about it not being an SRPG.

It was awful. Literally every single thing about it was bad. It's ugly, controls like ass, has terrible mission design, whiffle bat weapons, poorly implemented mech customization, some of the worst on foot missions of all time, horrid story, putrescent voice acting, and is an offense to mech games everywhere.

FME is the very first Front Mission game I played, I was certainly not butthurt about it not being an SRPG.

It was awful. Literally every single thing about it was bad. It's ugly, controls like ass, has terrible mission design, whiffle bat weapons, poorly implemented mech customization, some of the worst on foot missions of all time, horrid story, putrescent voice acting, and is an offense to mech games everywhere.

Eh, you guys are entitled to your opinions, but it seems like neither of you really gave it a chance and are just saying "it sucks."

The first mechs you get are shitty, you unlock better designs and better weapons as you go. The story and voice acting and graphics are all pretty average, not top tier, but certainly not bottom of the barrel.

I played through the entire game.

Didn't see your post, but yeah I can somewhat agree with you saying it's mediocre. I just don't think it's awful and not worth 5 bones. But then again I have a hard-on for mechs and I do think Double Helix nailed the Wanzers.

Eh, you guys are entitled to your opinions, but it seems like neither of you really gave it a chance and are just saying "it sucks."

The first mechs you get are shitty, you unlock better designs and better weapons as you go. The story and voice acting and graphics are all pretty average, not top tier, but certainly not bottom of the barrel.

I played through the entire game.

garath

I'm sure everyone got it, but in case you didn't and want a 75% off coupon for Portal 2, send me a PM and I'll gift it to you. I already own it.

I thought during E3 I saw something about Trials Evolution coming to PC but I must have imagined it because I can't find anything now. :(

It's great on 360 but I'd like it on Steam because I don't have to pay to play online on PC.

I played through the first chapter of Alan Wake just now. Yikes, that was pretty awesome. As soon as I reached the cabin I was pretty sure I liked where this game was going. In the dark, with headphones on high settings was quite an experience.

One question though. What is V-Sync? And the only hitch I am getting at high setting it a choppiness when turning the camera around quickly (slowly looks fine).

Besides that I can practically taste the atmosphere in the game. As someone who goes hiking a lot, the setting immediately resonates with me. I also just saw In the Mouth of Madness rather recently too. I dunno, the story really caught my attention right off the bat.

Only complaint is having some of the cutscenes (videos I imagine) looking worse than the game itself, and done in letterbox.

Wok

One question though. What is V-Sync? And the only hitch I am getting at high setting it a choppiness when turning the camera around quickly (slowly looks fine).

V-sync removes the tearing. It is advisable to untick the option in competitive games.

Blizzard

Banned
I played through the first chapter of Alan Wake just now. Yikes, that was pretty awesome. As soon as I reached the cabin I was pretty sure I liked where this game was going. In the dark, with headphones on high settings was quite an experience.

Besides that I can practically taste the atmosphere in the game. As someone who goes hiking a lot, the setting immediately resonates with me. I also just saw In the Mouth of Madness rather recently too. I dunno, the story really caught my attention right off the bat.

Only complaint is having some of the cutscenes (videos I imagine) looking worse than the game itself, and done in letterbox.
You can use Fraps (there's a free version, or a paid full version) to monitor your FPS. If you are jumping between 60 fps and 30 fps, that might explain the choppiness.

If you do see that, then you should be able to turn vsync off ingame, and use D3DOverrider (a free utility that is part of the RivaTuner package) to force vsync + triple buffering, which if I recall correctly should get rid of tearing and allow you to have frame rates between 30 and 60 fps.

If you already knew all this, I'm sorry for insulting your intelligence. :p

Thanks for the answers. I didn't know any of that lol. Messing around with graphics settings is a pretty neat thing so far. I believe I have a GTX 460...not sure if that's good or bad tho. I haven't had a gaming PC very long so it is all very new to me.

Also started Dead Space 2 a few days ago. That one is one of the nicest games I have seen so far.

Dambrosi

Banned
You can use Fraps (there's a free version, or a paid full version) to monitor your FPS. If you are jumping between 60 fps and 30 fps, that might explain the choppiness.

If you do see that, then you should be able to turn vsync off ingame, and use D3DOverrider (a free utility that is part of the RivaTuner package) to force vsync + triple buffering, which if I recall correctly should get rid of tearing and allow you to have frame rates between 30 and 60 fps.

If you already knew all this, I'm sorry for insulting your intelligence. :p
Or, if you have an Nvidia card (and I see that you do - GTS 450 here, and it'll chow down on whatever current-gen games you can throw at it, so your 460 should be fine), you can force them both in the Control Panel options menu. Apparently, it takes up less CPU time and memory that way, too.

TGMIII

Anyone know of a good way to limit frames on an ATI card. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is doing like 250+ fps and making my cards fans go crazy.

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone know of a good way to limit frames on an ATI card. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is doing like 250+ fps and making my cards fans go crazy.
D3DOverrider vsync + triple buffering will take care of that.

Shouldn't you be looking at a way to control your fan speeds instead? :p
Lowering the fan speeds while still keeping the heavy GPU load sounds like a terrible idea, since you would be helping your GPU kill itself with heat.

dLMN8R

A Valley Without Wind wasn't a bad one and I missed it lol :-(

You should consider yourself lucky. It sounds like a horrible, perfect example of an over-stretched indie team with way too many ideas and absolutely no capability of executing any of them with quality.

You should consider yourself lucky. It sounds like a horrible, perfect example of an over-stretched indie team with way too many ideas and absolutely no capability of executing any of them with quality.

I'd still like to give it a try and I have read some positive impressions on it. There is a major graphical overhaul coming this November, I think, as well as some other changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom