• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Downloading a 16 gig plus patch for the witcher 2 :(
I bitched about this this morning.
So fucking frustrating, it should be optional.

It's not a patch, it actually just redownloads the entire game. Many people stated that their installation of The Witcher 2 dropped down to 266mb before redownloading the 15.7gb again.

That sounds like a sweet attack from some battle anime.

"MSI TWIN FROZR!"

*earth is destroyed*

Vfw4T.jpg

Nabs

Damn. Mark of the Ninja might be my GOTY. I just finished it up (9.6 hours), and I'm ready for more (NG+). It was great all the way through. If you ever have a gap in your backlog, be sure to pick this up. It's a steal at $15.

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already but is there any word of a Halloween sale? I seem to remember there being a pretty good one last year.

Internet is curretly broken at home due to crappy cable tv installers. Would hate to miss them deals!

Caerith

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already but is there any word of a Halloween sale? I seem to remember there being a pretty good one last year.

Internet is curretly broken at home due to crappy cable tv installers. Would hate to miss them deals!
Valve doesn't usually tell us when the sales will be, and I haven't heard of any devs leaking sale confirmations, but it's still early.

GMG however has a Halloween sale going on right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I bitched about this this morning.
So fucking frustrating, it should be optional.

It's not a patch, it actually just redownloads the entire game. Many people stated that their installation of The Witcher 2 dropped down to 266mb before redownloading the 15.7gb again.

Witcher 2 isn't on the new content system, so patches are delta at the file level, and Witcher 2 uses an enormous pakfile so any time they modify anything, it's the whole shebang

antitrop

Witcher 2 isn't on the new content system, so patches are delta at the file level, and Witcher 2 uses an enormous pakfile so any time they modify anything, it's the whole shebang
That's brutal, considering The Witcher 2 is probably the single largest game installation I have on Steam since I uninstalled Max Payne 3 (which was like 30gb).

I thought the Witcher 2 was one of the first games on the new content system? In fact, wasn't it the reason they finally got around to actually implementing the whole system in the first place?

Exuro

I'm pretty sure it is. I can choose the installation location in the Steam beta.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
If you can get on the internet once a day (at work/school?) I wouldn't worry about it. I really doubt any Halloween sale would involve stuff like the flash deals that switched around every few hours and were all repeated anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
That makes totally no sense then, hahaha. Well, actually, did it just migrate to the new content system?
Another reason for me to dislike the new content system. =P (Well, I don't think I have Witcher 2 installed on my current drive so I should be safe)

I still don't think I ever got around to trying the Windows 7 workaround that was supposed to improve disk performance.

Miker

If you can get on the internet once a day (at work/school?) I wouldn't worry about it. I really doubt any Halloween sale would involve stuff like the flash deals that switched around every few hours and were all repeated anyway.

Ouch. Brings back memories of staying up late only to see a shitty repeat flash deal.

AlexBasch

I bought The Witcher at Amazon on New Year's Eve, which was DRM-Free. Now I'm pondering to buy the Steam version.

The hell is wrong with me. D:

Hakkuei

That's fine, I still have all the save files. All the unofficial apps don't seem to work.

Did you try Exuro's method?
Not really. If you want to use the beta method just back up the games, start up the initial downloads with the new location, close out steam, move your games/acf to newly started location,, delete blob files, start steam, and verify. That's what I did and it worked well.

antitrop

I bought The Witcher at Amazon on New Year's Eve, which was DRM-Free. Now I'm pondering to buy the Steam version.

The hell is wrong with me. D:
Why don't you just use "Add a non-Steam game". Is there some sort of Steam functionality that you want from the game that can't be accomplished that way?

AlexBasch

Why don't you just use "Add a non-Steam game". Is there some sort of Steam functionality that you want from the game that can't be accomplished that way?
Being able to re-download the game is useful. My DVD drive is nearly busted and getting the game again from the Amazon downloader is a hassle.

I already have the game added through that, but I'm fearing that my HDD goes to hell one of these days too.

antitrop

Being able to re-download the game is useful. My DVD drive is nearly busted and getting the game again from the Amazon downloader is a hassle.

I already have the game added through that, but I'm fearing that my HDD goes to hell one of these days too.
Fair enough. It's only $5, just get it.

NZNova

You should be able to redeem your product key on GOG to attach it to your account, so you could redownload it from there. I believe it works with all copies of the game.

._.

I beat Arkham City last night and now when I went to load my save I was like 3 hours back!

What happened!?

3 hours totally wasted. Just gone! I don't even have the achievements for beating the game!

Gav47

I just got two beta invites for DoTA 2 and I'm looking to trade for Hitman Absolution and Bioshock Infinite. PM me if you're interested in these super rare items, I am a A++++++++++++++ rated trader.

AlexBasch

Nope, entered the code that Amazon gave me on my purchase and said it was invalid.

Though, CDR has a feature to ask for a key for the backup, I'll print-screen the Amazon page and see if it works for them.

Also, I stopped playing Batman AC in the Xbox because it kept deleting my saves randomly, good to know the PC version has that feature as well. >_>

EDIT: Print screen doesn't cut it, they want my own handwriting into the printed invoice from Amazon. Sounds odd, but I'm down with this since someone might try to exploit their backup site or something, oh well.

._.

I beat Arkham City last night and now when I went to load my save I was like 3 hours back!

What happened!?

3 hours totally wasted. Just gone! I don't even have the achievements for beating the game!

Back up your saves, as well as your profile, ballad. It's always a good idea, no matter what DRM the game uses. I know people like to say that GFWL is the cause of these save issues, but I'm not so sure. For example, F1 2010 and 2011 both had problems with save corruption. The users screamed bloody murder and asked for Codemasters to get rid of GFWL. They did for 2012 and guess what, it had the exact same save corruption problems.

*Going offline should not make any difference to your saves. If you sign out of your profile, then yes, you're screwed as saves are tied to your profile. However, that is a conscious choice, as GFWL will not sign you out of your profile unless you tell it to. It may drop your connection sometimes, but you remain signed into your profile.

Edit - Since you didn't get the achievement, it does sound like you signed out at some point.

Back up your saves, as well as your profile, ballad. It's always a good idea, no matter what DRM the game uses. I know people like to say that GFWL is the cause of these save issues, but I'm not so sure. For example, F1 2010 and 2011 both had problems with save corruption. The users screamed bloody murder and asked for Codemasters to get rid of GFWL. They did for 2012 and guess what, it had the exact same save corruption problems.

*Going offline should not make any difference to your saves. If you sign out of your profile, then yes, you're screwed as saves are tied to your profile. However, that is a conscious choice, as GFWL will not sign you out of your profile unless you tell it to. It may drop your connection sometimes, but you remain signed into your profile.

Edit - Since you didn't get the achievement, it does sound like you signed out at some point.

I didn't sign out intentially. I don't know how it signed me out, but I absolutely did not do so.

You should have an offline save file that can be converted back to being an online save file.
Where would that be found?

RedSwirl

I guess that's one reason to avoid the Steam version for now. I'm pretty sure the launcher for non-Steam versions of the game doesn't do this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Kingdoms of Amalur worth playing? I don't plan on going hard like JaseC or anything.

It's delightfully simple, as though Fable were built upon the foundation of an MMO and somewhat expanded mechanically as a result (there are rudimentary alchemy/crafting systems and the combat is essentially God of War lite, for instance), which is probably why I had so much fun with (not that I'm against RPGs with more depth). The main quest line, while not particularly interesting as the premise of your character being the only known person to exist outside the tapestry of fate goes largely unused from a narrative perspective, would probably last you about 20-30 hours or so, with many of the quests being your standard fetch/bounty affairs. Oh, and most NPCs have far too much to say, more often than not speaking for at least ~20 seconds on at least half a dozen subjects, so be wary of working your way through all of the topics of conversation.

I still need to play the DLC, actually. I'll get around to that one day.

Thanks to JaseC for Airmech! Going to give it a shot this weekend.

No worries. :)

antitrop

I guess that's one reason to avoid the Steam version for now. I'm pretty sure the launcher for non-Steam versions of the game doesn't do this.
Well, it's entirely unlikely they'll ever patch The Witcher 2 again after this. This wasn't even a patch, just enabling Mac play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom