• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
played alpha prots when it came out and found the controls and combat to be super janky. LOVED the out of combat gameplay, but couldn't get past the bad.

any updates come out (patches/mods) to change any of the controls?

Miker

played alpha prots when it came out and found the controls and combat to be super janky. LOVED the out of combat gameplay, but couldn't get past the bad.

any updates come out (patches/mods) to change any of the controls?

I don't think so. If you ask me, the combat, while awful, is so completely broken by the higher-tier skills/perks that it becomes a diversion after the first few hours of play. I went full-blown melee and just punched the shit out of everyone with my ridiculous armor perks and stuff, and had a lot of fun that way.

MDSLKTR

Funny I started AP yesterday and I think it will become one of my favorite RPGs ever once I'm done with it. I even find it somehow pretty to look at. Had to resolve some issues tough (fov, forcing AA without losing the dialogue options, disable that god awful motion blur etc...)

Wanted to play Alpha Protocol on PC for a while but I think I'll pass, won't play it anytime soon and the couple of hours I played on PS3 were awful

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't wait for it to go back to $2, it probably won't ever happen, I don't even know who even allowed to sell it that cheap in the first time...

There are a few ini edits for the mouse lag, but the bugs in the game unfortunately went mostly unfixed, officially or unofficially.

hey guys, i just created a steamgifts giveaway for a DOTA 2 key - i don't know anything about this game and probably will never play it.

it's invitation-only and open for 7 hours. here's the link. hopefully the only competition will be people from this thread.

zkylon

zkylewd
+1 to backlog I'm afraid.
I'm writing again so everything is being shoved aside until I get my review codes finished.

Hmm...combat is still broken? Good.
Yes, it's still broken and all kinds of terrible. It's a stealth game, play it as that. It also has a dull start, but once you get out of Saudi Arabia it becomes all kinds of awesome.

Also the full review isn't up yet(I have my eyes on this weekend) but I've played about three and a half hours of Fairy Bloom Freesia.

It is awesome. Highly recommended.

hey guys, i just created a steamgifts giveaway for a DOTA 2 key - i don't know anything about this game and probably will never play it.

it's invitation-only and open for 7 hours. here's the link. hopefully the only competition will be people from this thread.

Why dont you give it a try to see if you like it?

Also, what happened with GAF creating a second invite only gaf group just for gifting. Is that not happening now?

I don't think so. If you ask me, the combat, while awful, is so completely broken by the higher-tier skills/perks that it becomes a diversion after the first few hours of play. I went full-blown melee and just punched the shit out of everyone with my ridiculous armor perks and stuff, and had a lot of fun that way.

Alpha Protocol is amazing but I think
Brayko
, well - the name is apt. The whole game is a ton of fun before and after this part, but I had a hell of a time with it and I know some others did too.

How did you deal with it using melee? Honestly wondering because every time I think of replaying this wonderful game, I remember that and just kind of put it down again.

Here are the two things I remember most about Alpha Protocol:

1) By the end of the game you can become totally invisible to enemies for minutes at a time and so you just run up to them and knock them out over and over, and it's fun.

2.) The game ended very badly for those around me - anyone who ever helped me was either dead or MIA. But that didn't stop my character from literally riding off into the sunset, all like YUP, life's pretty good.

Miker

Alpha Protocol is amazing but I think
Brayko
, well - the name is apt. The whole game is a ton of fun before and after this part, but I had a hell of a time with it and I know some others did too.

How did you deal with it using melee? Honestly wondering because every time I think of replaying this wonderful game, I remember that and just kind of put it down again.

Here are the two things I remember most about Alpha Protocol:

1) By the end of the game you can become totally invisible to enemies for minutes at a time and so you just run up to them and knock them out over and over, and it's fun.

2.) The game ended very badly for those around me - anyone who ever helped me was either dead or MIA. But that didn't stop my character from literally riding off into the sunset, all like YUP, life's pretty good.

For melee, I just poured points into the unarmed and endurance (armor? I don't remember) skill trees. I think one of the skills let me hulk out (RAWR) and become nearly invincible. I also put some points into pistols for the chain shot. I just completely ignored stealth, which let me wear the loudest but most protective armor. Basically, I ended up tripping alarms simply by walking around, and I had a ton of fun beating the shit out of everybody I saw. Amusingly enough, punching people is nonlethal, so I ended up with a zero-kill playthrough. Well, I would have if I hadn't accidentally chain-shot somebody important to death late game.

And
Brayko
took a ton of time with melee.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I took every single code and dumped them into an unused account hahahahaha.

just kiddingggg. oh wait, that is what most people are essentially doing anyways!

Exuro

I took every single code and dumped them into an unused account hahahahaha.

just kiddingggg. oh wait, that is what most people are essentially doing anyways!
I wonder how things will be when activating codes give you a copy in your inventory if you already own it. I remember them saying they wanted to do that a long time ago.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I just gathered lump of Steam keys I had floating around. Hit me up with a PM if interested. At Most, I'd like to see the grouped keys go to someone without any (or at least one) of the games.

Toki Tori
The Ship
AirMech Beta (x2)

World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, and EDGE
Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown
LIMBO, Amnesia, Sword & Sworcery, and Psychonauts

Also got a ShootMania Beta access, not a steam redemption but still PM if you want it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how things will be when activating codes give you a copy in your inventory if you already own it. I remember them saying they wanted to do that a long time ago.
Oh no, please no. It's already pretty terrible with the non-thanking ninjas.

I just gathered lump of Steam keys I had floating around. Hit me up with a PM if interested. At Most, I'd like to see the grouped keys go to someone without any (or at least one) of the games.

Toki Tori
The Ship
AirMech Beta (x2)

Also got a ShootMania Beta access, not a steam redemption but still PM if you want it.
Mind if I ask you for Amnesia and Sword & Sorcery? Nvm, realised it's a bundle with Limbo and Psychonauts, both of which I already have.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh no, please no. It's already pretty terrible with the non-thanking ninjas.
Maybe we can set up a Steam prison economy of people who take the keys for free without posting thanks, and then post on the thread and try to sell/trade the same keys to other people. :D

All you have to do is list what you have, say you have to quote the post with what you want, and PM it to them. Little more work and clutters up the thread a bit but at least you know who got what and they more than likely say "thanks" in the process.

Rand6

Toki Tori
The Ship
AirMech Beta (x2)

I'm not interested in any of those games, but it's very kind of you.
Gaf is really one of the best community!

I have one question : Alpha protocol is well optimized?

Enco

Been wanting Alpha Protocol to go on sale for a long time.

It didn't show up at summer so I might take the plunge.

edit: screw it, purchased

Tess3ract

Banned
Majesty 2

East India Company

Lead and Gold

Toki Tori
The Ship
AirMech Beta (x2)

I'd like wizorb, but I have BTR, GSB, and Jamestown

J-Tier

@ Tess3ract Yeah, all three were grabbed rather quickly, just to give a heads up that they're all gone as of a few mins after posting it up.

ArjanN

Just played the new DLC Landwehr Canal mission for Sniper Elite V2.

I really like it, like the previous DLC mission. (Neudorf outpost)

Both those missions avoid some of the downsides of the main game, in that they're very open-ended maps, and don't have more enemies just spawning in when you hit some trigger. It's also possible to be completely stealthy throughout.

I recommend getting them if you enjoyed the main game.

--

Also, Rock of Ages updated, seems like they have something coming up:

Rock of Ages Matchmaking Updated

In the anticipation of cool upcoming promotions & new content on Steam we've redesigned and improved the matchmaking of Rock of Ages so it is much more effective and friendly. The new interface allows players to practice against an AI while waiting for the system to pair you with a new opponent and it also features several other improvements that should make the online experience much more enjoyable.

We expect an important rise of online play in the upcoming days, so we'd love to hear the feedback of early adopters now that the system is just being released. Let us know what you think of the new changes so we can continue making Rock of Ages an even more awesome game!

xJavonta

Banned
I know I asked before if Metro is a good deal at $5 but I decided to go out to eat something instead :p

Now I have the choice between Metro and Alpha Protocol. I don't wanna spend more than $5 since I'm trying to save for some upgrades, but these damn sales are tempting me.

jayb

does anyone here use the Steam android app? I can't find a way to redeem codes on it. I see you can buy games, but is there no way to redeem codes?

Nabs

I know I asked before if Metro is a good deal at $5 but I decided to go out to eat something instead :p

Now I have the choice between Metro and Alpha Protocol. I don't wanna spend more than $5 since I'm trying to save for some upgrades, but these damn sales are tempting me.

Do you plan on playing them anytime soon? I don't think you'll have to worry about them going on sale again.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe we can set up a Steam prison economy of people who take the keys for free without posting thanks, and then post on the thread and try to sell/trade the same keys to other people. :D
What's a prison economy? But yes, we should shame them to death and also make them gift us back those games, and buy every GAFfer a copy of Bad Rats.

xJavonta

Banned
does anyone here use the Steam android app? I can't find a way to redeem codes on it. I see you can buy games, but is there no way to redeem codes?
Yeah I use it. There is currently no way to redeem codes on either the iOS or Android app. I've searched high and low and haven't found a way on either one.

Do you plan on playing them anytime soon? I don't think you'll have to worry about them going on sale again.
Maybe. I really don't have anything I want to play right now, so I guess this could hold me over until I can afford to start buying newer games again.

Goody

Toki Tori
The Ship
AirMech Beta (x2)

Did anyone claim World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos and EDGE yet? I don't have any one of those

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just played the new DLC Landwehr Canal mission for Sniper Elite V2.

I really like it, like the previous DLC mission. (Neudorf outpost)

Both those missions avoid some of the downsides of the main game, in that they're very open-ended maps, and don't have more enemies just spawning in when you hit some trigger. It's also possible to be completely stealthy throughout.

I recommend getting them if you enjoyed the main game.

I've actually been eyeing them and plan on picking them up on the next sale. You pretty much confirmed everything I needed to hear to buy it.

Miker

Random question: has anybody who bought Indie Royale played To The Moon yet? I played it at launch and loved it, but I'm always curious to hear people's thoughts on it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What's a prison economy?

"Prison economy" relates to a practice that occurs in prisons of assigning higher-than-normal values for regular items. For example, the intrinsic worth of a cigarette is much higher in the prison than normal. With that, a whole form of currency is created where a certain number of cigarettes equals a toothbrush and a few toothbrushes equals socks and a few socks equals your own prison bitch.

When we talk about the "Steam Prison Economy," we're talking about the trading of steam keys for other steam keys. The term started to be used when people began trading a few copies of the same game, for example, "two Dirt 3 keys for Darksiders." Keys, I should add, which were usually always gotten for free from a promotion.

The term has had staying power because it works on a few levels. Steam, as a "walled garden," is essentially a prison and we are all the inmates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom