• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazo

What are some good city building games that are relatively new? I've been wanting to play one for a while and bought Cities XL on Steam but I can't seem to get into it. Anything else decent? Steam would be preferred but not mandatory.

Anon
Tropico

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The worst part was when people were buying humble indie bundles (i think it was HIB) for 1 cent then reselling the games for profit. Those are supposed to be a mixture of money for indie devs and charities.
Can I say they are assholes? Because I think they are.

The analog isn't 100% correct though, since the Steam economy is pretty good at regulating itself. Dirt 3 keys were almost worth nothing at that time and aren't really worth anything even now.

Better examples are (were) tradable beta invites likle DOTA2 and CS:GO or TF2 items like the earbuds. Thoses were worth $15-$30 at some point, and a lot of people didn't trade them because they wanted them, but because they were using it as a currency. That's more like a stock market though in that case I guess.
That seems a little more understandable, since apparently they were kinda rare. So there were people interested in getting those betas or items, while the other guys wanted to get something in exchange. But I still think it's rather dishonest to get a profit with a gifted game.

Hey folks, I just updated Home today with a bunch of new features:

- full Xbox 360 controller support (making it compatible with Steam Big Picture Mode)
- an unobtrusive auto-save system that doesn't subvert the core gameplay
- some neat new things that might look a little different than the last time you played...
- and of course, typo fixes, updated menus and whatnot

Cheers!
B.

Awesome! I'll have to sit down and play this then.

eyeless

just bought alpha protocol, downloading and i think i'll start playing it when it's done. any advice to be given for a new player? ghost no-kill playthroughs are my style when given the option. also interested in tweaks/fixes if there are any.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Of course I did.

Fun fact: The high-res DLC makes the old shopkeepers young again.

Also JaseC, you gave me Dota 2 at the wrong time :lol Football Manager 2013 is like crack! So sorry if I don't play it for a while haha.

Haha, don't feel bad; I got into the beta back in March and haven't played a single game. ;) One day, though! One day. Especially now that bots are in, so I don't have to worry about getting my arse handed to me online.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys quick question.

So I know you can choose different install folder if you opt-in the Steam beta which is great.

Is there a way to move a game from one of the folder to the other one? After it's already installed I mean... Can you just move the folder manually in explorer and steam will pick it up?

Exuro

Hey guys quick question.

So I know you can choose different install folder if you opt-in the Steam beta which is great.

Is there a way to move a game from one of the folder to the other one? After it's already installed I mean... Can you just move the folder manually in explorer and steam will pick it up?
When I replaced a DVD drive in my computer it reassigned the name of my data drive and so when I started up Steam it showed that no games were installed, but when I went to "install" them at the same location is automatically picked it up. You'll most likely have to click install and set the path for each game, but steam should recognize it. (If you're using the beta stuff)

JaseC

Hey guys quick question.

You can use Steam Mover/SteamTool to achieve what you want. Neither will work with Source games, however, due to the shared GCFs; they'll require a more hands-on approach.

Edit: Apparently Steam is wiser than I thought.

Megasoum

Banned
When I replaced a DVD drive in my computer it reassigned the name of my data drive and so when I started up Steam it showed that no games were installed, but when I went to "install" them at the same location is automatically picked it up. You'll most likely have to click install and set the path for each game, but steam should recognize it. (If you're using the beta stuff)

Ah right, looks like it's working. For some reason I thought I tried that and it didn't work..hmm. Cool, time to make some room on my SSD!

Derrick01

Banned
So I'm about to play my first ubisoft game in a long time. Do I have to have that uplay plugin enabled to play? I turned it off when that massive exploit was discovered and never bothered turning it back on.

JaseC

So I'm about to play my first ubisoft game in a long time. Do I have to have that uplay plugin enabled to play? I turned it off when that massive exploit was discovered and never bothered turning it back on.

If the game utilises Uplay, there's no getting around the client short of using a crack. That said, the exploit you mention has been patched.

Derrick01

Banned
If the game utilises Uplay, there's no getting around the client short of using a crack. That said, the exploit you mention has been patched.

Right but this is a browser plugin and I'm not sure what it even does. If I don't need to have that on I'd rather not.

Did they change things in Witcher 2 recently? I just had to fight two guys when saving the topless chick in prison, I could only stealth kill the one before confronting the second. Or is that because of the difficulty, I haven't started it up in ages so I don't remember what I chose. I think I also noticed more chatty prisoners in previous rooms though.

The game just bugged out, the cut scene after saving her ended before the two guards and that guy who she then follows came, they arrived after I received full control of Geralt but don't continue the scene, they just stand there. I also can't proceed beyond the stairs in the next room either, it's blocking me with an invisible wall. After all this time I guess it's still such a dodgy release... Not that this is restricted to game breaking stuff, it's in the game's very core, controls included...
http://i.minus.com/iTAPSeFn2pVJk.bmp[/ig] [img]http://i.minus.com/ibadwD1sqh0yY4.bmp[/im][/QUOTE]

They are punishing you for crimes against image quality.

Derrick01

Banned
Browser plugin? I just finished playing through AC2 and didn't see anything about browser plugins.

It's what we had to turn off to avoid the huge security hole until it was patched. I'm looking at it right now in chrome's plugins section.

Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\npuplaypc.dll

JaseC

Right but this is a browser plugin and I'm not sure what it even does. If I don't need to have that on I'd rather not.

Oh, right. You should be fine -- I just disabled them and Uplay still functions correctly (I can't test a game since I'm using Remote Desktop).

Echoplx

It's what we had to turn off to avoid the huge security hole until it was patched. I'm looking at it right now in chrome's plugins section.

Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\npuplaypc.dll

Oh crap, didn't even know that was there. WTF Ubisoft.

I know I'm late, but Sleeping Dogs is 50 percent off?!?!? Yes! $25 is a steal. Other than waiting for a possible Winter Steam Sale price, that's the best we're going to get for awhile right?

Miker

I know I'm late, but Sleeping Dogs is 50 percent off?!?!? Yes! $25 is a steal. Other than waiting for a possible Winter Steam Sale price, that's the best we're going to get for awhile right?

It's $18.74 from Amazon for a Steam code. There'a thread about it somewhere.

Tess3ract

Banned
I think the sleeping dogs demo is easily the worst one I've played this year

LETS BE BATMAN but without the fluidity or forgiveness of batman. NOPE

add in knowing it's basically gta with better combat, or saints row 3 without everything that makes saints row 3 rule, regulates this to a $5 deal for me.

Miker

add in knowing it's basically gta with better combat, or saints row 3 without everything that makes saints row 3 rule, regulates this to a $5 deal for me.

Fluidity - well, kind of. It's a bit jankier, yeah, but still fluid enough to be fun. And it requires more user input, so if you're not careful, you'll whiff some punches/kicks. Is it such a bad thing it doesn't have the forgiveness of the Arkham games? It makes sense for Batman to tumble around the room like a goddamn gymnast, but I think it'd be a bit too outlandish if Wei controlled just like Batman.

I think the combat is pretty enjoyable, and this is coming from someone who thinks Arkham City's combat is the best combat out of the West, and liked it enough to put time into the challenge maps.

The whole GTA thing, well, it depends your view of the genre. I've yet to play a GTA that compels me to finish it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be hooked on Sleeping Dogs, so there's that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

ibmvebLwLZmBkh.gif

Salsa

that demo must be pretty bad because that's a fucking terrible opinion on the whole game

Derrick01

Banned

How can you support the trash that is SR3 and not a good game like sleeping dogs?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey guys, let's not counter wrong opinions with wrong opinions. Saints Row 3 and Sleeping Dogs are both great for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom