• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played the new DLC Landwehr Canal mission for Sniper Elite V2.

I really like it, like the previous DLC mission. (Neudorf outpost)

Both those missions avoid some of the downsides of the main game, in that they're very open-ended maps, and don't have more enemies just spawning in when you hit some trigger. It's also possible to be completely stealthy throughout.

I recommend getting them if you enjoyed the main game.

Is the assassinate Hitler mission worthwhile as well?

kafiend

Paris in the fall, the last months of the year, at the end of the millenium. The city holds many memories for me, of music, of cafes, of love, and of death.

It was that itsy-bitsy tequila worm. I really must remember to take it out of my pants before I send them to the laundry.

The Glastonbury Popular Music Festival? Hmm, that's one of the most popular music festivals on the Popular Music Festival calendar!

Nabs

Paris in the fall, the last months of the year, at the end of the millenium. The city holds many memories for me, of music, of cafes, of love, and of death.

It was that itsy-bitsy tequila worm. I really must remember to take it out of my pants before I send them to the laundry.

The Glastonbury Popular Music Festival? Hmm, that's one of the most popular music festivals on the Popular Music Festival calendar!

Thanks for Broken Sword 1 and 3.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"Prison economy" relates to a practice that occurs in prisons of assigning higher-than-normal values for regular items. For example, the intrinsic worth of a cigarette is much higher in the prison than normal. With that, a whole form of currency is created where a certain number of cigarettes equals a toothbrush and a few toothbrushes equals socks and a few socks equals your own prison bitch.

When we talk about the "Steam Prison Economy," we're talking about the trading of steam keys for other steam keys. The term started to be used when people began trading a few copies of the same game, for example, "two Dirt 3 keys for Darksiders." Keys, I should add, which were usually always gotten for free from a promotion.

The term has had staying power because it works on a few levels. Steam, as a "walled garden," is essentially a prison and we are all the inmates.
Wow, that analogy is certainly interesting, but scary too. So people give different value to each key, many of which they got for free, and try to gain something from them. Making a profit out of something you got as a gift doesn't seem too legit in my opinion.

the broken sword games were a lot of fun (i played the first two.) i usually find adventure games tedious and frustrating but they were short, had nice and interesting stories, and had a dynamic hint system if you got stuck.

Clever! Thank you for BS 2 ;)

Wow, that analogy is certainly interesting, but scary too. So people give different value to each key, many of which they got for free, and try to gain something from them. Making a profit out of something you got as a gift doesn't seem too legit in my opinion.

The worst part was when people were buying humble indie bundles (i think it was HIB) for 1 cent then reselling the games for profit. Those are supposed to be a mixture of money for indie devs and charities.

Ricker

Damn just saw Vanguard on Steam...and its F2P now,always wanted to try it back then but my computer sucked...tempted to give it a try...anyone playing this now or played back then...?

The analog isn't 100% correct though, since the Steam economy is pretty good at regulating itself. Dirt 3 keys were almost worth nothing at that time and aren't really worth anything even now.

Better examples are (were) tradable beta invites likle DOTA2 and CS:GO or TF2 items like the earbuds. Thoses were worth $15-$30 at some point, and a lot of people didn't trade them because they wanted them, but because they were using it as a currency. That's more like a stock market though in that case I guess.

Random question: has anybody who bought Indie Royale played To The Moon yet? I played it at launch and loved it, but I'm always curious to hear people's thoughts on it.

Plan on playing it this weekend, really looking forward to it. Want to finish off XCom first

Derrick01

Banned

At least there's no risk of getting shanked in the steam prison economy.

At least there's no risk of getting shanked in the steam prison economy.

Wrong

TzHps.jpg

Home got a big update today. It's only $3, it's not very long at all, and is a good game to play for Halloween.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215670/

What’s New:
• Home now fully supports Steam’s Big Picture Mode – play the entire game with your Xbox 360 controller from the terrifying comfort of your own couch, or continue to use a keyboard if you prefer.

• The most requested feature has been added to the game! Home now auto-saves your progress as you play, allowing for shorter play sessions if required. Continue where you left off, or start over from the beginning. The game still starts you from the beginning once you complete it, though—keeping the integrity of the experience while adding convenience for players who need it.

• Some things may not always be what they seem. As promised in previous missives, players may start to see their Home experience change ever so slightly the next time they play. Was that room there before? I thought that was locked... This is just the beginning for long-term fans of the game.

• Various other graphical tweaks and corrections to text and menus.

Maybe we can set up a Steam prison economy of people who take the keys for free without posting thanks, and then post on the thread and try to sell/trade the same keys to other people. :D

I try to have a give and take policy. Every key I get, I'll try and get another one for this thread :p

zychi

Banned
anyone been able to make steam big picture mode load on the second monitor only?

i have my hdtv setup as the second monitor, i can get the big picture mode to load on it, but once i start a game the game defaults back to my desktop monitor.

jkoch

Anyone know how to get a controller to work with the Freesia demo, other than using joy to key? I'm using a PS3 controller with xbox 360 emulation through the motion joy tool. Thanks.

Anyone? Looks like it's supposed to have controller support built in. Maybe not in the demo?

Toki767

The Steam prison economy thing is amusing to think about.

I do shake my head though at some people who try to re-sell or trade games they paid virtually nothing for. It's their game and they can do whatever they want with it, but with things like that Square-Enix pack, they were paying less than $2 per game. You'd think they could afford to just give some away without expecting anything in return.

mannerbot

The Steam prison economy thing is amusing to think about.

I do shake my head though at some people who try to re-sell or trade games they paid virtually nothing for. It's their game and they can do whatever they want with it, but with things like that Square-Enix pack, they were paying less than $2 per game. You'd think they could afford to just give some away without expecting anything in return.

WTF, you expect people to give things away just cause 2?

ArjanN

Is the assassinate Hitler mission worthwhile as well?

The other 2 DLC missions are better, but that one is worth it for the novelty of being able to shoot Hitler in the testicles.

Maybe Steam is going to be pushing online play for the Halloween sale. I'm down.

That sounds likely, there's the TF2 halloween stuff every year, and Rock of Ages has done several of those seasonal promotions.

mannerbot

On the off chance that a lurker or other unappreciative GAF member hasn't already taken it, there's a Just Cause 2 key in my last post. h4h4

1-D_FTW

Maybe we can set up a Steam prison economy of people who take the keys for free without posting thanks, and then post on the thread and try to sell/trade the same keys to other people. :D

Thank goodness it's impossible. It'd really be a mess if they could reserve those keys without redeeming.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Hey folks, I just updated Home today with a bunch of new features:

- full Xbox 360 controller support (making it compatible with Steam Big Picture Mode)
- an unobtrusive auto-save system that doesn't subvert the core gameplay
- some neat new things that might look a little different than the last time you played...
- and of course, typo fixes, updated menus and whatnot

Cheers!
B.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Did they change things in Witcher 2 recently? I just had to fight two guys when saving the topless chick in prison, I could only stealth kill the one before confronting the second. Or is that because of the difficulty, I haven't started it up in ages so I don't remember what I chose. I think I also noticed more chatty prisoners in previous rooms though.

The game just bugged out, the cut scene after saving her ended before the two guards and that guy who she then follows came, they arrived after I received full control of Geralt but don't continue the scene, they just stand there. I also can't proceed beyond the stairs in the next room either, it's blocking me with an invisible wall. After all this time I guess it's still such a dodgy release... Not that this is restricted to game breaking stuff, it's in the game's very core, controls included...
iTAPSeFn2pVJk.bmp
ibadwD1sqh0yY4.bmp

Fantomex

Did they change things in Witcher 2 recently? I just had to fight two guys when saving the topless chick in prison, I could only stealth kill the one before confronting the second. Or is that because of the difficulty, I haven't started it up in ages so I don't remember what I chose. I think I also noticed more chatty prisoners in previous rooms though.

The game just bugged out, the cut scene after saving her ended before the two guards and that guy who she then follows came, they arrived after I received full control of Geralt but don't continue the scene, they just stand there. I also can't proceed beyond the stairs in the next room either, it's blocking me with an invisible wall. After all this time I guess it's still such a dodgy release... Not that this is restricted to game breaking stuff, it's in the game's very core, controls included...
iTAPSeFn2pVJk.bmp
ibadwD1sqh0yY4.bmp

There was a huge patch on it yesterday, and a lot of people are pretty upset about it. I don't know exactly what it did, but you seem to be a victim of it. CDProjekt forums would be a good place to start.

I was going through my games and noticed I have Viking: Battle for Asgard. I never bought it, though. Is it a glitch or is it there from some bundle key?

Edit: Apparently it was added to my library because I bought that Total War pack awhile back.

mneuro

What are some good city building games that are relatively new? I've been wanting to play one for a while and bought Cities XL on Steam but I can't seem to get into it. Anything else decent? Steam would be preferred but not mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom