• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does Steam have an annual Halloween sale? I forget.

We can't be sure as Steam's first Halloween Sale was last year, but I'd assume so. It should begin later this week (Friday the 26th, if last year is any indication). Then next month there should be a larger Autumn/Fall Sale, and the month after that there's the Winter/Christmas Sale.

wazoo

I think that's actually because the game is Steamworks, and not just a marketing decision.

I know. But steamworks is just a consequence of restricting the game to the steam community. It is not on steam because it is steamworks but the opposite.

no dev would be allowed to restrict his game for a subset of a population, for the sake of a few features without his publisher approval (this does not care about features ort achievements or whatever, just money).

To be clear. Adding steamworks to a game is the acknowledgments of the editor that steam IS the pc platform.

We can't be sure as Steam's first Halloween Sale was last year, but I'd assume so. It should begin later this week (Friday the 26th, if last year is any indication). Then next month there should be a larger Autumn/Fall Sale, and the month after that there's the Winter/Christmas Sale.
So when do we start "when's the sale? I say it's today at 7pm" posts? I had loads of fun reading those before the summer sale. GAF hysteria... xD

JaseC

I'll be buying it from Steam so I can continue amassing my virtual wardrobe of hats... assuming there are hats, of course.

So when do we start "when's the sale? I say it's today at 7pm" posts? I had loads of fun reading those before the summer sale. GAF hysteria... xD

Haha, I'm sure there'll be a flurry of such posts when/if the expected date passes by with no hint of a sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know. But steamworks is just a consequence of restricting the game to the steam community. It is not on steam because it is steamworks but the opposite.

no dev would be allowed to restrict his game for a subset of a population, for the sake of a few features without his publisher approval (this does not care about features ort achievements or whatever, just money).

To be clear. Adding steamworks to a game is the acknowledgments of the editor that steam IS the pc platform.

What, are you water_wendi's long lost brother or something?

Caerith

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think so, since that would defeat the purpose of offering them for a specific period. Needless to say I don't actually play TF2. ;)
I believe that if you get the hats with the preorder/promo that they are of "genuine" quality and thus worth more to collectors. Store-bought hats are just regular quality and thus "dirty."

(Not really up on the hat market either.)

Derrick01

Banned

I'm not seeing the problem. I benefit greatly from games being steamworks. For example I've saved over $100 this year from GMG deals thanks to so many games being steamworks. That allows me to buy at least 3 more AAA games since they also get reduced to $30-$35 on GMG.

edit: Unless they're ubisoft games. Ubisoft are a bunch of assholes making me buy AC3 and Far Cry 3 for full price.

wazoo

I'm not seeing the problem. I benefit greatly from games being steamworks. For example I've saved over $100 this year from GMG deals thanks to so many games being steamworks. That allows me to buy at least 3 more AAA games since they also get reduced to $30-$35 on GMG.

I am mistaken. I see this as a benefit and I welcome this fact. I own a lot of Steam games and plan to go on with that.

This was just a remark on how the market changes and how editors see the PC market now, nothing negative.

Oh, I always thought everything was available in the Mann Co. Store. The more you know.

only promos made by members of the community. The Total War items, for example, were made by the same person who made the Bonk Boy set (Scout's soda super hero weapons and mask) and the Sleeping Dogs Cleaver. He was just a dude Sega liked his work and asked him to make promos and he gets paid every time a promo is bought from the TF2 store. The Sleeping Dogs promos were the same, made by members of the TF2 community, not Valve or Squeenix.

Other promos made by Valve or the company of the game are almost never sold in the store except in a few cases (Football Manager 2012, Quakecon and Hero Academy)

Those promos can be acquired now through random crafting of two regular hats and you have a 1/~300 chance of getting it. But because this system exists, you can also find people who will trade you the ones they crafted and didn't want.

It's kind of a shame they aren't in the Mann Co store, as I imagine a lot of people would like the ability to buy old promos and not have to mess around with trading. Just seems like wasted revenue potential for everyone involved (Valve and the company of the promo game)

only promos made by members of the community. The Total War items, for example, were made by the same person who made the Bonk Boy set (Scout's soda super hero weapons and mask) and the Sleeping Dogs Cleaver. He was just a dude Sega liked his work and asked him to make promos and he gets paid every time a promo is bought from the TF2 store. The Sleeping Dogs promos were the same, made by members of the TF2 community, not Valve or Squeenix.

Other promos made by Valve or the company of the game are almost never sold in the store except in a few cases (Football Manager 2012, Quakecon and Hero Academy)

Those promos can be acquired now through random crafting of two regular hats and you have a 1/~300 chance of getting it. But because this system exists, you can also find people who will trade you the ones they crafted and didn't want.

It's kind of a shame they aren't in the Mann Co store, as I imagine a lot of people would like the ability to buy old promos and not have to mess around with trading. Just seems like wasted revenue potential for everyone involved (Valve and the company of the promo game)

Man, that is one deep hat simulator.

I can't even decipher what the spreadsheet means anyway, hah

Marxman : 2 Keys
Champ Stamp: 2-3 Keys
Triad Trinket: 2.5-3 Keys
Human Cannonball: 1 Key
Red-Tape Recorder: 2-2.33 ref
Huo-Long Heater: 2 ref
Neon Annihilation: 1-1.22 ref
Flying Guillotine: 1 Key

1 Key is approximately 2.55-2.66 ref.

and If I didn't screw up anywhere, it is approximately 11-12 keys. Currently in the keys market, they are worth approximately $1.20-1.25 keys each. I guess you could trade your keys for games at Tf2outpost.com

I had an urge to replay Bioshock after playing Dishonored. I installed it and went to play but it keeps freezing in the main menu and crashing. (I have windows 7?) After giving up on that I was thinking of buying Bioshock 2 to play. It is 7 dollars now on GMG, I am guessing it isn't steamworks correct? I am just asking because I see Infinite is going to be steamworks. I will wait to buy on steam otherwise.

JaseC

I had an urge to replay Bioshock after playing Dishonored. I installed it and went to play but it keeps freezing in the main menu and crashing. (I have windows 7?) After giving up on that I was thinking of buying Bioshock 2 to play. It is 7 dollars now on GMG, I am guessing it isn't steamworks correct? I am just asking because I see Infinite is going to be steamworks. I will wait to buy on steam otherwise.

It's not Steamworks, but:

(BioShock and BioShock 2 are also on sale [both 50% off; both $9.99], and are listed on the Steam Support website as redeemable titles, however I don't know if GMG offers keys for Capsule titles, nor do I know if all Bio/Bio2 DD keys will redeem on Steam [F.E.A.R. 2 is iffy in this regard], so I decided to mention them separately to the above list.)

Someone needs to take one for the team. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom