• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

I got Waves for free from a gaffer and played it a bit. I think it's actually pretty great, and you shouldn't count it out as a Geometry Wars clone. Its scoring system is pretty genius, and if you try and play smart and maximize your score, you'll get a lot more out of the game. The music is also really cool. That said, the menus are a bit insufferable, but that's a small thing.

Nymerio

If you like twin stick shooters you really should try Waves. It's my favorite twin stick shooter by far and the scoring system is really well done. Well worth the price.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I got Waves for free from a gaffer and played it a bit. I think it's actually pretty great, and you shouldn't count it out as a Geometry Wars clone. Its scoring system is pretty genius, and if you try and play smart and maximize your score, you'll get a lot more out of the game. The music is also really cool. That said, the menus are a bit insufferable, but that's a small thing.
Listen to this man, Waves is GOOD.

Played through a couple of short games over the weekend

To The Moon: I really loved this, I thought the story was pretty great, made me laugh a few times and also managed to make me really sad at others. Not really much of a game though but was enjoying it too much to care. Music is pretty great too

Dear Esther: Not really sure if I enjoyed this at all, the game had some amazing visuals, really loved the caves they looked just incredible. Music was nice too. But honestly I was fairly bored throughout most of it, the narration was okay but didn't really grab me. The fact that the game was only an hour long helped for the art style carry it at least. Wish your movement speed wasn't so slow really dragged it down a bit

Oh and I have spare Steam keys for Oil Rush, Blackwell Deception and AVSEQ, quote me with the game you want and I'll PM you the code

only promos made by members of the community. The Total War items, for example, were made by the same person who made the Bonk Boy set (Scout's soda super hero weapons and mask) and the Sleeping Dogs Cleaver. He was just a dude Sega liked his work and asked him to make promos and he gets paid every time a promo is bought from the TF2 store. The Sleeping Dogs promos were the same, made by members of the TF2 community, not Valve or Squeenix.

Other promos made by Valve or the company of the game are almost never sold in the store except in a few cases (Football Manager 2012, Quakecon and Hero Academy)

Those promos can be acquired now through random crafting of two regular hats and you have a 1/~300 chance of getting it. But because this system exists, you can also find people who will trade you the ones they crafted and didn't want.

It's kind of a shame they aren't in the Mann Co store, as I imagine a lot of people would like the ability to buy old promos and not have to mess around with trading. Just seems like wasted revenue potential for everyone involved (Valve and the company of the promo game)

Thanks for the clarification :) Sounds deeper than all the Paradox games combined.

To The Moon: I really loved this, I thought the story was pretty great, made me laugh a few times and also managed to make me really sad at others. Not really much of a game though but was enjoying it too much to care. Music is pretty great too

Dear Esther: Not really sure if I enjoyed this at all, the game had some amazing visuals, really loved the caves they looked just incredible. Music was nice too. But honestly I was fairly bored throughout most of it, the narration was okay but didn't really grab me. The fact that the game was only an hour long helped for the art style carry it at least. Wish your movement speed wasn't so slow really dragged it down a bit

Oh and I have spare Steam keys for Oil Rush, Blackwell Deception and AVSEQ, quote me with the game you want and I'll PM you the code

Oil Rush?

Guess I'll try out Waves for $2.50. Don't have a twin stick shooter yet in my Steam library.

Hey Shorty, may I have an Blackwell key if it's still available? Thanks.

Blackwell pls?

eemijun

Neo Member
Just Cause 2 Key. Quote to see. Still have The Last Remnant, Deus Ex Human Revolution and the Missing Link. PM me to trade.

Thank you bro! :)

Dizzy-4U

Why do I have Viking Battle for Asgard in my library? It's a free weekend thing?

edit: Ah, from the Total War collection I bought recently.

wow, after gifting dota 2 to one of you guys yesterday, i won another copy on steamgifts.

i guess it is my destiny to actually play this game, so i'll be keeping this one. i am not one to tempt fate.

Tizoc

Has Ubisoft removed DRM from their games on Steam? I want to get Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes off Steam soon, but don't want to be logged on the net to play it ^_^;

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has Ubisoft removed DRM from their games on Steam? I want to get Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes off Steam soon, but don't want to be logged on the net to play it ^_^;

Oddly enough, I believe that specific game never had Ubisoft DRM on it in the first place. It was just a distribution deal, or something, and was totally left up to the developer.

lopaz

Banned
I just started PC gaming a lot recently.

I love Steam BUT the trend of retail games that require you to download from Steam is complete bullshit.

Why exactly do I have a boxed game at all if it's just a key to a Steam download? :S

I love Steam BUT the trend of retail games that require you to download from Steam is complete bullshit.

Why exactly do I have a boxed game at all if it's just a key to a Steam download? :S

Can definitely tell you just started. Games are digital now even if you get the box. It's better that way too.

Firebrand

They don't put discs in the box anymore?

lopaz

Banned
Can definitely tell you just started. Games are digital now even if you get the box. It's better that way too.

Not so sure... having to wait for it to download is annoying, especially since my connection isn't too fast. It seems like an environmental nightmare too, since they're selling completely useless boxes and DVDs by the millions.

They don't put discs in the box anymore?

The disc is there, but it doesn't really do anything. The game gets 'installed' from the CD but you still have to download it all from Steam afterwards in order to play

Not so sure... having to wait for it to download is annoying, especially since my connection isn't too fast. It seems like an environmental nightmare too, since they're selling completely useless boxes and DVDs by the millions...

waiting is the same as walking to a store and getting it. also the box versions do install faster since they do install off the disk i believe.

Put the disc in the drive. Install game the old fashioned way. Save hours of downloading.

Not so sure... having to wait for it to download is annoying, especially since my connection isn't too fast. It seems like an environmental nightmare too, since they're selling completely useless boxes and DVDs by the millions.

The disc is there, but it doesn't really do anything. The game gets 'installed' from the CD but you still have to download it all from Steam afterwards in order to play

You sure? All the disk based games I have are installed and played from disk but you have to enter the key in Steam so that it gets associated with your account.

It's handy since if you ever loose the disk, you can still get it from Steam.

lopaz

Banned
Put the disc in the drive. Install game the old fashioned way. Save hours of downloading.

EDIT:

The game I'm using is Sniper: Ghost Warrior. The game does an install from the disc, but when you subsequently try to play it, it just starts downloading the entire game from Steam

Derrick01

Banned

You won't be complaining when you can get them all for $10-$20 off somewhere and still be able to use them on your Steam account. Give it time.

camerooni

Neo Member
waiting is the same as walking to a store and getting it. also the box versions do install faster since they do install off the disk i believe.

The downside to this of course is that a lot of people actually have download limits - so it can be extremely frustrating to spend 1/4 of your months 'download' on one brand new release game..

Some gamers (without access to large download limits) in OZ have reverted to SneakerNET via USB/DVD burn transfer down at the local pub or through AusPost.

It can be really annoying to start up Steam to find it is download a mega patch for a game (that you now can't play until it's finished) and yet only have 4 gigs left for the month - my current situation since my Lotro install got toasted with the Rohan Expansion and now it wants to download the full 14gig (probably to then only install another 6 gig or so via the Turbine Launcher)

(If anyone has the files they can mail me - that would be awesome ;))

camerooni

Neo Member
Yeah but its better then waiting for the 20GB download.

Absolutely - that's half my 'peak' download limit for the month.

It's also why I religiously move games from /steamapps/common to backup drives (or burn to dvd) rather than permanently delete them (I wish Steams backup and restore tool was a lot better.. when you have 300+ games installed it gets frigan annoying finding them in the list - you can't even sort the column by name, it seems to do some obscure sort by random number check :p)

In a lot of cases it's also a lot easier (when moving between drives) to just copy the whole folder rather than use the backup/restore tool as it take soooooo frigan long (though obviously copies a lot quicker to usb if it's one file) - but then you have file size and filesystem problems - not mentioning names *cough* big arsed Witcher data file *cough*

Of course I usually forget to re-burn them with the updated content which kills this whole plan anyway.

tl;dr life is hard being a gamer ;)

Joe Molotov

Giana Sisters still doesn't have a price on Steam, but Gamersgate put up a price of $15 + 25% off bonus for $11.24, so I'm assuming Steam will be priced similarly.

xJavonta

Banned
Ugh, decisions. I'm debating whether or not I should just buy Alpha Protocol or Syndicate. It would mean I would skip eating lunch for a couple of days though.

I've head Alpha Protocol is good but is pretty janky.

I haven't heard anything about Syndicate yet though, probably because it's an Origin title.

ShaneB

You didn't buy Alpha Protocol the other day when it was 5$?? :( Unless it is on sale somewhere and you eat really cheap lunches!

Ugh, decisions. I'm debating whether or not I should just buy Alpha Protocol or Syndicate. It would mean I would skip eating lunch for a couple of days though.

I've head Alpha Protocol is good but is pretty janky.

I haven't heard anything about Syndicate yet though, probably because it's an Origin title.

I haven't played Syndicate so no comment there. But Alpha Protocol is one of my favorite RPG's of this generation. One thing I love about it, and I wish other games did this, is that it requires research on targets to understand them and be able to manipulate them and talk to them in different ways. It's not a simple "choose the good or bad option" either.

I first played it on the 360 when it was released and the only glitches I experienced were some graphical bugs. When I'd aim my gun occasionally the gun model would appear sideways in his hands. And I recall getting stuck one or twice in the environment. Both happened so rarely and I never felt like the game was that janky.

xJavonta

Banned
You didn't buy Alpha Protocol the other day when it was 5$?? :( Unless it is on sale somewhere and you eat really cheap lunches!

Nah I skipped out on it because I spent $9 on lunch at Panda Express lol. I usually just get 2 slices of deep dish pizza with a drink for $4.50 at a local pizza place.

Besides, this is the physical copy, which I prefer to digital (I just like having a box)

Edit:
I haven't played Syndicate so no comment there. But Alpha Protocol is one of my favorite RPG's of this generation. One thing I love about it, and I wish other games did this, is that it requires research on targets to understand them and be able to manipulate them and talk to them in different ways. It's not a simple "choose the good or bad option" either.

I first played it on the 360 when it was released and the only glitches I experienced were some graphical bugs. When I'd aim my gun occasionally the gun model would appear sideways in his hands. And I recall getting stuck one or twice in the environment. Both happened so rarely and I never felt like the game was that janky.

May be a stupid question but is it similar at all to Deus Ex: Human Revolution? If so I'm fucking sold lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alpha Protocol shits on Syndicate from great heights. It has so much more ambition and is so much more interesting. All Syndicate has is a sort of interesting co-op mode which is pointless unless you can dupe some friends into buying the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom