• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Nah I skipped out on it because I spent $9 on lunch at Panda Express lol. I usually just get 2 slices of deep dish pizza with a drink for $4.50 at a local pizza place.

Besides, this is the physical copy, which I prefer to digital (I just like having a box)

Ah ok, all is well than :)

Joe Molotov

Great, I just noticed that the Ravaged Beta I activated on Steam has now turned into just "Ravaged" which it turns out is actually a Ravaged demo that's permanently attached to my account forever, even after I deleted it. Dammit Gabe, stop letting these fucking amateur hour devs run wild on Steam, this isn't the iOS app store!

xJavonta

Banned
Alpha Protocol shits on Syndicate from great heights. It has so much more ambition and is so much more interesting. All Syndicate has is a sort of interesting co-op mode which is pointless unless you can dupe some friends into buying the game.
I don't really plan on playing with friends, but I'm watching a gameplay video and it looks like a typical corridor shooter but in a different time period. Neat, but it doesn't look like it'll have a long campaign.

There's not multiplayer, right?

Yeah, similar in some ways. It's not puzzle-like where you see the monitor with their heart rate. I prefer the way Alpha Protocol did it much more.
Sounds good, all I have to do is look at a video before I make a decision, thanks!

Ah ok, all is well than :)
Yup lol

xJavonta

Banned
Here's a video about the dialogue system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebjp7Wm19kI

It shows a bit how it's not obvious on how to talk to people and that it requires research on how to handle them.
That looks fantastic, love the timed dialogue options. How's the game's performance? My system isn't exactly beefy, but I get by. (i3-2100, HD 5670 1GB)

I bought Syndicate on GG for $4.25 a few months ago and....it was definitely worth $4.25.

At that price I'd say so. Looks like a neat re-imagining of the original.

camerooni

Neo Member
Great, I just noticed that the Ravaged Beta I activated on Steam has now turned into just "Ravaged" which it turns out is actually a Ravaged demo that's permanently attached to my account forever, even after I deleted it. Dammit Gabe, stop letting these fucking amateur hour devs run wild on Steam, this isn't the iOS app store!

It's still there after deleting local content? :( I hate this - then again.. sometimes I wish freetoplay games I have previously played would stay on my list until 'I' choose to remove them.. They should look into that.

camerooni

Neo Member
Hmm.. I'm surprised that Steam hasn't tried a 'franchise' page outside of the usual sale sort.. at the moment I'm looking at Napoleon: TOTAL WAR and I'm thinking "What were the names of all the others", and just wanting to click a 'Games in this franchise' button like the where the packages are listed..

Though I guess it could be potentially open to abuse by publishers just throwing shit together that is only tangentially linked.

s7evn

Question: So a week ago I moved all my games to a different hard drive with the steam mover application. I also at that time set up another OS on a SSD so I can currently boot into two versions of windows 7 (old OS and the new one). The old OS came with the computer on it's hard drive and the new one is from an upgrade disc I had. So here's the problem: Whenever I want to play online from the SSD I get lag to the point where my ping is over 1000ms. But it seems if I play from the other hard drive I can play just fine. Does anyone know what I did or how to fix it so I can play online games from the SSD OS?

Miker

Hmm.. I'm surprised that Steam hasn't tried a 'franchise' page outside of the usual sale sort.. at the moment I'm looking at Napoleon: TOTAL WAR and I'm thinking "What were the names of all the others", and just wanting to click a 'Games in this franchise' button like the where the packages are listed..

Though I guess it could be potentially open to abuse by publishers just throwing shit together that is only tangentially linked.

You can click on the developer's link, which should work well enough, unless the franchise changed developers for whatever reason.

Grief.exe

Ugh, decisions. I'm debating whether or not I should just buy Alpha Protocol or Syndicate. It would mean I would skip eating lunch for a couple of days though.

I've head Alpha Protocol is good but is pretty janky.

I haven't heard anything about Syndicate yet though, probably because it's an Origin title.

You should have gotten Syndicate when Origin was giving it out for free with that coupon blitz.

jediyoshi

They said the Ravaged Beta would turn into a retail :\

They said some of them would, IGN's beta keys for examples will remain demo versions and end probably still end as planned on the 28th. Not sure the practicality of enlisting in a beta and then having to reenter the key in to reregister it into your account if you happen to uninstall it.

Wok

They said some of them would, IGN's beta keys for examples will remain demo versions and end probably still end as planned on the 28th.

I hope so. To have a game listed in my library which is indeed a demo is misleading: I cannot enter a giveaway on steamgifts (same with Chivalry), and I can still buy the game from the Steam store for myself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Played 6-7 Zookeeper battles and only lost 2. Game seems fun. Do items make it unfair/unbalanced or anything though? That could get annoying. At least it's good there are other newbies like me online so I didn't only get matched to people like Wario (though most had hundreds of battles)...

Edit: sorry, wrong thread, had tabs open and I'm @ work...

Salsa

Played 6-7 Zookeeper battles and only lost 2. Game seems fun. Do items make it unfair/unbalanced or anything though? That could get annoying. At least it's good there are other newbies like me online so I didn't only get matched to people like Wario (though most had hundreds of battles)...

what? you just made me desperately look for a steam version of zookeeper :(

Milamber

I kept switching tabs around cause I thought this was the iOS Gaming thread.

NvXO5.jpg

FINALLY. COME TO ME.

iNvid02

i cant believe the quantity available, or the price of these sims expansions

then again, i cant believe how well the sell, they just print money for EA.

i hopped off the sims train a loong time ago, kinda glad i did

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i cant believe the quantity available, or the price of these sims expansions

then again, i cant believe how well the sell, they just print money for EA.

i hopped off the sims train a loong time ago, kinda glad i did

Two of those aren't expansions.

With that said the two expansions are pretty much chock-full of content, at least the one released (Supernatural). Seasons most likely will be too.

Really, Sims 3 should get free-pass from content shilling in expansions, despite actually shilling custom content.

camerooni

Neo Member
He just means that it uses the full suite of Steamworks features, like achievements, leader boards, and steam cloud.

That and no matter what retailer you purchase from you need to activate it on Steam - there is no non-steam version of the game.

EDIT: Whoops, well other than the handheld and console versions. (Resisting really hard from putting 'console toys' there.. because it's fun, but also inflammatory :()

Has Ubisoft removed DRM from their games on Steam? I want to get Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes off Steam soon, but don't want to be logged on the net to play it ^_^;

Just popping in to say: Clash of Heroes has no 'always online' DRM or the like. It's pure Steamworks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GMG is having a War Deals sale. Steam stuff:

- Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers (30% off; $20.99)
- Homefront (75% off; $4.99)
- IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (40% off; $??)
- Men of War: Condemned Heroes (65% off; $10.49)
- Nuclear Dawn (50% off; $8.99)
- R.U.S.E. (60% off; $??)
- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (50% off; $9.99)
- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Digital Deluxe Edition (50% off; $24.97)
- Skydrift (50% off; $4.99)

Once again, the 20% discount code GMG20-FXYD1-7WHP1 stacks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
GMG is having a War Deals sale. Steam stuff:

- Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers (30% off; $20.99)
- Homefront (75% off; $4.99)
- IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (40% off; $??)
- Men of War: Condemned Heroes (65% off; $10.49)
- Nuclear Dawn (50% off; $8.99)
- R.U.S.E. (60% off; $??)
- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (50% off; $9.99)
- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Digital Deluxe Edition (50% off; $24.97)
- Skydrift (50% off; $4.99)

Once again, the 20% discount code GMG20-FXYD1-7WHP1 stacks.
Yay for Homefront, one of GAF's most praised and beloved games! I can't wait to play it, SO excited! I'll buy all the DLC too, totally worth it.

I played 20 minutes of it at a friend's home and didn't like it at all.

Derrick01

Banned
Ugh, decisions. I'm debating whether or not I should just buy Alpha Protocol or Syndicate. It would mean I would skip eating lunch for a couple of days though.

I've head Alpha Protocol is good but is pretty janky.

I haven't heard anything about Syndicate yet though, probably because it's an Origin title.

I'm late here but don't buy Syndicate no matter how cheap it is. It's one of the worst and most soulless games released this year. It's a shitty corridor FPS with some tacked on co-op because that's what's hot right now. It's an insult to the Syndicate IP and gaming as a whole.

Alpha Protocol is one of the most unique RPGs of the generation. The combat is janky but the combat isn't really important. It's the dialogue system and how the story changes depending on your actions and choices. It's what Mass Effect tried to be in that regard.

is there any decent way to play the GTA 3 Trilogy games with a 360 controller yet?

I've tried joy2key and all that but never got it working right. Always felt off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom